California
✟10,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with you -- except for the last three sentences. You develop a good argument about Bible translations, then shift gears into discussing nonconformists and "nondenominational folk who denounce religion and cling to a certain way of thought about Christianity are drawing ideological boxes around themselves" which is not only off-topic but is wrong. Too bad you had to add this erroneous non sequitor.

I'm sorry for the confusion. Non-denominational congregations are good because they bring together a more diverse set of people. My point is that some Christians today are exhibiting fanaticism. For example, saying the Bible must be read "literally" is actually an arbitrary human imposition, an imposition which forsakes individual human reason and places limits on God's message. For Christians, the Bible is simply read, for all of its spiritual importance, but Christ himself is to be followed. To the people who follow Christ, the Word cannot be contained in human language or ideas. Even these ideas are just guides on the Path. However, I don't mean to say that there should be no structure, for we are all lost in the wilderness of the mind, and need a common framework and language for our spiritual exploration. This common framework does not have to be sourced in a 400 year old translation.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But just yesterday you were advocating that God preserves His word and now that new evidence has been brought to light your reversing your position on that saying that God does allow errors in His word.

What errors are you talking about?

Psalms 12:6-7 basically says God’s words are purified seven times and that these words would be preserved for all generations. What is ultra suspicious is that Modern Bibles alter this beautiful truth.

Anyways, based on Psalms 12:6-7: I believe the Cambridge Edition circa 1900 KJB Edition is God’s final purified Word (Seeing it is the seventh purification).

In fact, counting the 1611 KJB, I believe there were 6 editions leading up to the 1611 (total of 7 editions including the 1611), and there are 6 editions after the 1611 (total of 7 editions including the 1611). So a repeat of 7 purifications two times. For the Bible records how the Word of the Lord came unto men a second time (Jeremiah 1:13, Jeremiah 13:3, Jeremiah 33:1, Jonah 3:1).

Also, the Apocrypha needed to be removed among other things with the Cambridge Edition (circa 1900) (even though certain publishers removed it).

Also, the words in italics are saying that there are no manuscript evidences that we are aware of today, but that does not negate their inspiration if God was overseeing the translation by preserving His Words. I don’t see it as an error but I see it as a purification process leading up to the Cambridge Edition. The Cambridge Edition is the final perfect result God intended for us to have today. While there are KJB believers who believe the italic words are not inspired, I believe they are inspired and meant to be there (Otherwise they cause confusion if those words are not there). For God is not the author of confusion.

You said:
What it all boils down to is the translators of the NASB did not insert their own commentary or interpretation of 2 Samuel 21:19 they simply translated it accurately according to the older texts since they all unanimously say that Ethanan killed Goliath.

But they are telling a lie by doing so. So it’s not older is better. We know David killed Goliath and 1 Chronicles 20:5 is proof in the pudding of clarity on 2 Samuel 21:19. You have a Bible that lies and you don’t care because of your mindless mantra of “older is better” or because we need to have manuscript evidence in order for God to preserve His Word for us today.

You said:
The KJV translators on the other hand said that can’t be right and changed what was actually written in every source available. Hence they added their interpretation their commentary into what was actually written thereby changing it from its original message.

Again, this is the older is better coloring over the meaning of 2 Samuel 21:19 because we know 1 Chronicles 20:5 is saying brother of Goliath. You cannot see the forest from the trees on this because you are caught up into the false thinking of Modern Scholarship. This is exactly what Rome wants. They succeeded by getting people to accept the Modern Scholarship way of thinking. They are keeping the Word of God out of men’s hands. Many Christians today must appeal to Modern Scholarship and the best manuscripts and trust the favored priests of what they will say Scripture means. Rome has changed it’s tactics and many believers today fell for it… hook, line, and sinker.

Instead of Rome stopping men from having the Word of God by burning them, they have now have gotten men to trust their way of thinking in that you have to look to the priest (scholar) and evidence of manuscripts (anti-faith) in order to believe what they want you to believe. They have taken the Word of God out of men’s hands without burning them now. But you cannot see that of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate certain translations more than the Word on the Street, having only now been introduced to it. However, the story itself is still intact, as far as I can tell, in reading Genesis. Don't forget that God wanted to tell us a story about how his people may come to know him. This doesn't happen through the repetition of words, but through an state of mind toward life which we have seemingly forgotten. There are many ways to tell a story, and the Gospel lives through the pens and mouths of many authors and speakers. Does this allow the Gospel to be diluted? Yes. Does this mean we shouldn't attempt to tell stories? No. There is a place for a central Book, but this Book does not instruct us as to every circumstantial possibility of life--That's what God's People (Who follow God's Word--Christ Jesus) are for. There is, thankfully a Central Word that exists beyond this Book, which is the reason there is a Book at all. If the "Word on the Street" brings someone with a 5th grade grasp of the English language toward the light, and toward a group of people who may be reading from, say, The Message translation, then that is a blessing. If The Message has brought people to the light and those who share in the light who may have been reading from the Common English Bible, then that is a blessing. And so on, the light is the same. The light does not emanate from a book, however revered. Bring as many to the light, using as many ways as possible--be creative, as God meant us to be!

What if I changed the blueprint on an airplane to my way of thinking that was not tested? Would you want to fly in that plane? Most likely you would not want to do so. So why trust your soul with a Bible that massacres the message of God’s Word beyond recognition? If details are changed in God’s Word whereby it is turned into an insulting paraphrase then logic dictates it is not the Word of God. It sounds like you are new to reading the Bible or you are simply unfamiliar with the Bible; Either that or you are into Christian Liberalism (whereby one simply does not care if God’s words are changed). Are you even remotely familiar with Revelation 22:18-19? Most believers can see a major problem the Word on the Street Bible Translation.

Upvote 0

BeingThere

Dec 28, 2021
California
✟10,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
By this kind of statement, someone might think that they could read the Word on the Street Translation, and think it is okay.

Here are some examples the heretical “Word on the Street” Bible Translation.

full

full

Source:
https://www.eden.co.uk/pdfs/0310932254.pdf

Read this description of the Word on the Street translation and tell me what you think:

The Word on the Street

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Read this description of the Word on the Street translation and tell me what you think:

The Word on the Street

It does not change anything. It is an insult to the true Word of God if you are even remotely familiar with the Bible. So I would encourage you to read your Bible more.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The Word on the Street

You also ignored my question. Would you fly in an airplane knowing I tampered or altered the blueprints to may way of thinking? Most likely you would say… no. So why trust your soul with a Bible that is an obvious insult to God’s true and Holy Word? You don’t seem to regard the details of God’s Word as important. What if people did that with you? What if they paraphrased your words and took them out of context to say something else entirely? Would you not be upset if they completely misunderstood your words and changed them? Imagine how God feels about others doing that. That is what you fail to understand.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But just yesterday you were advocating that God preserves His word and now that new evidence has been brought to light your reversing your position on that saying that God does allow errors in His word. What it all boils down to is the translators of the NASB did not insert their own commentary or interpretation of 2 Samuel 21:19 they simply translated it accurately according to the older texts since they all unanimously say that Ethanan killed Goliath. The KJV translators on the other hand said that can’t be right and changed what was actually written in every source available. Hence they added their interpretation their commentary into what was actually written thereby changing it from its original message.

Again, you fail to understand that your NASB is lying in that 2 Samuel 21:19 is saying that David did not kill Goliath, but it was Elhanan. Yet, in the same story or event recorded in 1 Chronicles 20:5, it is saying that Elhanan killed the brother of Goliath in the NASB. To deny this is to deny the obvious error or contradiction in your own Modern Bible.

Again, I am not sure why this error should surprise you. Most Modern Bible Scholarship Proponents believe all Bibles have errors in them. Do you not believe that way, too? They sure do.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,220.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, you fail to understand that your NASB is lying in that 2 Samuel 21:19 is saying that David did not kill Goliath, but it was Elhanan.

You've probably got me on ignore, so you're not seeing my posts - either that, or you're not answering them.
It was a different incident; the KJV itself tells you that. Read 1 Samuel 17 and 2 Samuel 21:1 - loads of things happened between these two events.
There was clearly more than one Goliath. So saying "bad NASB!!" and claiming that it is lying is ridiculous.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In addition, folks can see that not all Modern translations honor God.

Check out the Message Translation, Original 1971 Living Bible, and the New Living Translation on 1 Samuel 20:30. I cannot post these here because they use profanity.

You can check these translations on 1 Samuel 20:30 in this article here:

Note: You can confirm this for yourself at BibleGateway on two of these translations.

NLT - 1 Samuel 20:30
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Samuel 20:30 - New Living Translation

Message - 1 Samuel 20:30
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Samuel 20:30-31 - The Message

1971 Living Bible you would have to buy to check out the reference.
But it is sick.​

1 Timothy 6:20 says, “O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings…”

2 Timothy 2:16 says,
“But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.”

People wonder today why Christians swear and or use profane words. It’s because they have the wrong Bible and or they just don’t care about what God’s Word says.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Plus… the NIV, and NASB has changed actual words with various editions. They cannot make up their mind as to what God’s Word says. This is not the same with the King James Bible because it has been settled with the Cambridge Edition and the changes were not major ones like we see in Modern Bibles. So which NIV or NASB do you use? The old one or the new one? So that is showing that they are in error or do you believe that God’s words are being purified like the KJB? Do you think someday you might have the Word of God perfectly but this is not the case now?

NASB 1995
And the dragon stood on the sand of the seashore. Then I saw a beast coming up out of the sea, having ten horns and seven heads, and on his horns were ten diadems, and on his heads were blasphemous names.

NASB 1977
And he stood on the sand of the seashore. And I saw a beast coming up out of the sea, having ten horns and seven heads, and on his horns were ten diadems, and on his heads were blasphemous names.

This is not some minor alteration here. This is a major change!!!
So you cannot claim that the NASB is perfect because it changed. Unless of course you believe as I do and that it has been purified. If so… then you need to prove that the NASB stands out above all other Bibles. But we know the NASB is under the direct supervision of the Vatican, though. It says so in the Nestle and Aland’s 27th edition (i.e. the New Testament Critical Greek Text - upon which all Modern Bibles are based upon).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BeingThere

Dec 28, 2021
California
✟10,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You also ignored my question. Would you fly in an airplane knowing I tampered or altered the blueprints to may way of thinking? Most likely you would say… no. So why trust your soul with a Bible that is an obvious insult to God’s true and Holy Word? You don’t seem to regard the details of God’s Word as important. What if people did that with you? What if they paraphrased your words and took them out of context to say something else entirely? Would you not be upset if they completely misunderstood your words and changed them? Imagine how God feels about others doing that. That is what you fail to understand.

I don't trust my soul with a Bible. I trust my soul to Christ, the Word of God, the begotten in human flesh. The existence and ministry of this begotten in human flesh can be described using a variety of words, so long as the meaning survives. Ultimately, the goal of any translation should be to lead a thirsty person to the living waters. It is up to the person to drink. I think that you have been led to the waters, but that you have yet to drink from them fully. This is just my opinion. Maybe I have yet as well, but that does not matter.

Your analogy with the airplane is simplistic. No analogy can adequately describe God. Yet, this is what I have to say about it. The human being reborn of the Spirit is not a machine, it is our fallen nature that says there must be rules and instructions to operate this "machine". Rules have a place, but only so far as they lead to Christ. Instructions have meaning, but only so far as there is a machine to apply them to. The whole idea of Christ coming in the flesh is to free us of this false machinery: so the Bible is not an "instruction book", but a friend leading one to the living waters, as Christ himself does: friends speak our own language, feel what we are feeling, and condescend to our own understanding--and this is what translations are for.

1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?
8 This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you.
9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.
11 And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.
13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
(Galatians 5:1–9, 11, 13, 14, 18, 25)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't trust my soul with a Bible. I trust my soul to Christ, the Word of God, the begotten in human flesh. The existence and ministry of this begotten in human flesh can be described using a variety of words, so long as the meaning survives. Ultimately, the goal of any translation should be to lead a thirsty person to the living waters. It is up to the person to drink. I think that you have been led to the waters, but that you have yet to drink from them fully. This is just my opinion. Maybe I have yet as well, but that does not matter.

Your analogy with the airplane is simplistic. No analogy can adequately describe God. Yet, this is what I have to say about it. The human being reborn of the Spirit is not a machine, it is our fallen nature that says there must be rules and instructions to operate this "machine". Rules have a place, but only so far as they lead to Christ. Instructions have meaning, but only so far as there is a machine to apply them to. The whole idea of Christ coming in the flesh is to free us of this false machinery: so the Bible is not an "instruction book", but a friend leading one to the living waters, as Christ himself does: friends speak our own language, feel what we are feeling, and condescend to our own understanding--and this is what translations are for.

1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
11 And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.
13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

You would not know about Jesus if it was not for the Bible. Paul also talks about those who preach another Jesus. Some Modern Bibles make Jesus appear to lie, and so one can think lying is okay because a Modern Bible tells them that Jesus lied.

Besides, unlike the KJB (which comes from the Textus Receptus), most of all your Modern Bibles comes from the Critical Text.

This constantly changing Critical Greek Text is under the direct supervision of the Vatican (i.e. the Catholic Church). They come right out and tell you this. They aren't even trying to hide it. Here is a photo of page 45 from right out of the Nestle-Aland 27th edition.

full

Source:
The KJB Only versus the Latin Vulgate Only Argument by: Another King James Bible Believer

But Guess which Bible the Roman Catholic Church does NOT want you to read -

full

Source:
Undeniable Proof the ESV, NIV, NASB, Holman Standard, NET, Jehovah Witness NWT etc. are the new "Vatican Versions" by: Another King James Bible Believer

Note: I am aware this forbidden book of the Catholic church is an older version, and they have updated it. But the point here is that at one time, they considered the KJB to be a forbidden book.

Very interesting.

Side Note:

Oh, and yes, I know about Erasmus, but he was not exactly in agreement with many Catholic doctrines, and he was later rejected by the Catholic church and he died among his Protestant friends.

To learn more about Erasmus, check out this article here.​

I could list more problems as to why we should not trust the Modern Bibles, but if you need more reasons, you can simply check out the following CF thread here.

30 Reasons for the King James Bible.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).

Isaiah 8:20
“…if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.”

Matthew 7:26-27
“And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.”

How do you get the sayings of Jesus?
By the Holy Bible.
But if your Holy Bible alters the words of Jesus, then you are not really hearing Jesus.

Modern Bibles erase the teaching of Jesus on fasting so as to cast out persistent demons.
But if you have a King James Bible, this would not be an issue.

Upvote 0

BeingThere

Dec 28, 2021
California
✟10,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In addition, folks can see that not all Modern translations honor God.

Check out the Message Translation, Original 1971 Living Bible, and the New Living Translation on 1 Samuel 20:30. I cannot post these here because they use profanity.

You can check these translations on 1 Samuel 20:30 in this article here:

Note: You can confirm this for yourself at BibleGateway on two of these translations.

NLT - 1 Samuel 20:30
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Samuel 20:30 - New Living Translation

Message - 1 Samuel 20:30
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Samuel 20:30-31 - The Message

1971 Living Bible you would have to buy to check out the reference.
But it is sick.​

1 Timothy 6:20 says, “O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings…”

2 Timothy 2:16 says,
“But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.”

People wonder today why Christians swear and or use profane words. It’s because they have the wrong Bible and or they just don’t care about what God’s Word says.

The definition of the word you find offensive:
upload_2021-12-30_10-56-5.png

This is how someone who has read the original (really a copy of a copy of a copy, but our oldest source) manuscripts has understood the phrase. Please understand that the King James translators read and interpreted the manuscripts through their own peculiar lens, which was the lens of the Catholic church and the doctrines thereof. I'm not saying that you must read other translations, if you have understood well what the Bible is saying. But please don't harangue people for attempting to come up with their own understanding of the gospel. After all, and I say again, following Christ does not mean conforming to a set of rules, it is the passing of the Law altogether. Therefore, there is no "correct" instruction book but Christ himself, and that any Gospel that should lead us to Him is "correct" for that given person and that given time. Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The definition of the word you find offensive:
View attachment 310204

This is how someone who has read the original (really a copy of a copy of a copy, but our oldest source) manuscripts has understood the phrase. Please understand that the King James translators read and interpreted the manuscripts through their own peculiar lens, which was the lens of the Catholic church and the doctrines thereof. I'm not saying that you must read other translations, if you have understood well what the Bible is saying. But please don't harangue people for attempting to come up with their own understanding of the gospel. After all, and I say again, following Christ does not mean conforming to a set of rules, it is the passing of the Law altogether. Therefore, there is no "correct" instruction book but Christ himself, and that any Gospel that should lead us to Him is "correct" for that given person and that given time. Don't lose sight of the forest for the trees.

So if you don’t find the words offensive or profane in these translations, why don’t you try using those words during a job interview and see how it goes. So stop being silly. You know these are bad words, but you simply are burying your head in the sand to this kind of truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BeingThere

Dec 28, 2021
California
✟10,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).

Isaiah 8:20
“…if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.”

Matthew 7:26-27
“And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.”

How do you get the sayings of Jesus?
By the Holy Bible.
But if your Holy Bible alters the words of Jesus, then you are not really hearing Jesus.

Modern Bibles erase the teaching of Jesus on fasting so as to cast out persistent demons.
But if you have a King James Bible, this would not be an issue.

Faith comes not by simply hearing the Word of God, but by understanding and following it. If, to you, as it seems to me, the Word is just a string of English (and an antiquated string according to long-dead theologians at that), then you have gone only so far along the Way, and have not the eyes to see nor the ears to hear, so long as your understanding is superficial. As Christians, we do not "speak according to this word" [of King James] but according to the Word [that is Christ]. Again, you cannot reduce the Truth down to one rigid set of words.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Faith comes not by simply hearing the Word of God, but by understanding and following it. If, to you, as it seems to me, the Word is just a string of English (and an antiquated string according to long-dead theologians at that), then you have gone only so far along the Way, and have not the eyes to see nor the ears to hear, so long as your understanding is superficial. As Christians, we do not "speak according to this word" [of King James] but according to the Word [that is Christ]. Again, you cannot reduce the Truth down to one rigid set of words.

So do you believe the Earth was not created in six literal days?
Do you believe the Earth is millions of years old?
Do you believe the stories in the Bible are just myth and legends?
If so… why don’t you just say that the story of Jesus is a myth or legend?
Because if we are not rigid with a set of words by Jesus, then we can just make the Bible say whatever we want it to say. Again, how would you feel if people did not rigidly understand what you say? I can twist out of context your words and I am sure you would not be happy in me doing that. Why on Earth do you think God would be happy in us doing that? That is what is so ridiculous in your viewpoint or approach to God’s Word. You also appear to agree now with Romans 10:17? Do you truly believe faith comes by hearing the Word of God? Which Word of God? Just any ole paraphrased version of whatever sounds good?

Upvote 0

BeingThere

Dec 28, 2021
California
✟10,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So if you don’t find the words offensive or profane in these translations, why don’t you try using those words during a job interview and see how it goes. So stop being silly. You know these are bad words, but you simply are burying your head in the sand to this kind of truth.

I wouldn't use that word (being "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]"), or even the word "harlot", in an interview because it wouldn't be relevant. The meaning of the words is the same. Offense to one word over the other is trivial. There is no truth in your offense, but there is Truth in the meaning of the words in context. What you call honoring God is just your human-derived moralistic impositions. Again, the Word of God is not an instruction book.

I agree that it is important to use the same language and vocabulary in order that we may be on the same page. But understand the 400 years ago, the language and vocabulary was much different. No language can 100% describe the Truth, but as time passes, the less useful the English of 400 years ago becomes. Read the writing on the wall, people need to hear the Gospel that speaks to them.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your not listening. 1 Chronicles 20:5 in the NASB95 in the Strong’s Concordance at BlueLetterBible clearly states that the words “the brother” (referring to Goliath) is taken from an actual manuscript because those words are defined by a Strong number. 1 Chronicles 20:5 is describing the same thing happening in 2 Samuel 21:19 (where there is no Strong number for the word brother). So this wild goose chase of coming up with crazy theories in defense of an error in 2 Samuel 21:19 in Modern Bibles does not work.

Im not listening? I just recognized 1 Chronicles 20:5 in that post by saying that Goliath, Goliath’s brother and His son could’ve all been killed in battle against Israel. There’s no conclusive evidence that 1 Chronicles 20:5 is directly referring to 2 Samuel 21:19 it could very well be referring to a different incident since they refer to two different people.

Upvote 0

BeingThere

Dec 28, 2021
California
✟10,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So do you believe the Earth was not created in six literal days?
Do you believe the Earth is millions of years old?
Do you believe the stories in the Bible are just myth and legends?
If so… why don’t you just say that the story of Jesus is a myth or legend?
Because if we are not rigid with a set of words by Jesus, then we can just make the Bible say whatever we want it to say. Again, how would you feel if people did not rigidly understand what you say? I can twist out of context your words and I am sure you would not be happy in me doing that. Why on Earth do you think God would be happy in us doing that? That is what is so ridiculous in your viewpoint or approach to God’s Word. You also appear to agree now with Romans 10:17? Do you truly believe faith comes by hearing the Word of God? Which Word of God? Just any ole paraphrased version of whatever sounds good?

You're right, I wouldn't be happy if you arbitrarily twisted my words out of context. But that is not what translators are doing. Whether we like it or not, when we speak to people, the words are "filtered" through their own understanding. We must establish a clear set of definitions about words so that we can come to a similar understanding, and that is what the King James translators did 400 years ago, using the language of the day. In that sense, we must have a firm, but flexible structure with which we communicate, but not rigid in that we cannot adapt to changing language. Again, the words are not as important as the understanding.

As far as stories go, the Bible uses character, plot and other devices to communicate Truths simply and directly to us. Stories are very important to human beings for that reason. Don't think that the only understanding that God wanted us to have is only the historical, literal one. That sort of understanding is limited, narrow, and rigid. The Bible, more than you may realize, may have been meant by God in certain ways, to be read allegorically, to describe the human soul and its fallen state, and the Way it can be redeemed. This way of reading allows for greater heights and depths of understanding which the rigidly literal way does not allow. (Although anyone who reads consistently will have the Word deep with them).

Upvote 0