Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Everyone’s time on our world is limited. We all age and eventually die of natural causes. Sure, there are ways to augment our longevity with exercise, healthy dieting, and supplements that extend life, but none of us will live forever.

I’m in my early 30s, so I have plenty of time left. Eventually, though, another decade will pass, and then another. And another. My time alive will eventually run out—and the sad thing is that I don’t see anything changing, so my life will end in abysmal failure because God won’t help me out of my atrocious situation. He hasn’t done so for the last ten years, and he isn’t showing any signs that he will have a change of heart and decide that I’m worth his help.

Last night I prayed to God and tried to appeal for his help through fairness. Unfortunately, I didn’t hear anything back. I really need his help, but his lack of response makes me think he isn’t interested. I feel so much grief and hopelessness now.

It appears the reason why God isn’t interested in helping me or even responding to my prayers is due to my sins, none of which are really serious, and my inability to live a life of perfection. If I were to do something innocuous like have a beer, God would tell me it’s a sin and seems to deem me unworthy of his help because of it.

God’s standards for what constitutes a sin are so rigorous that I would have to live in a monastery to achieve his impossibly high requirements. Then again, that wouldn’t work either, since monks make products to pay the upkeep for their monasteries: soaps, chocolate and desserts, and beer. If a monk brews beer at his monastery to sell, God (assuming he is consistent here) would say that it is a sin because beer contains alcohol. So yeah, not even monks can live a life of absolute puritanical perfection.

Not too long ago I tried very hard to do what God requires so I could earn his help: I didn’t drink one sip of alcohol, and I quit using the tobacco. I was also on my best behavior and scrupulously thought of everything I did so God couldn’t find one little tiny sin in me. And I was successful—or so I thought. God ended up not helping me despite the fact I sacrificed much of my mental health by walking on eggshells so as not to offend God with some “atrocious” sin like having a sip of wine.

I couldn’t for the life of me figure out what I had done to offend God, since I had tried so hard. I felt worthless and cried out to God many times for him to tell me why he is finding fault in me and deeming me unworthy of his help. Apparently, God resented the fact that I played a computer game on Steam that he didn’t like. It was a simulation game where you manage a criminal enterprise. It’s only entertainment, so what’s the harm?

The whole time God communicated to me multiple times that my so-called fault was playing a video game he didn’t like. Yet I dismissed those communications and did not believe it was from God. Millions of people play criminal fantasy games such as Grand Theft Auto and never commit any crimes in their entire life. Obviously it’s entertainment and not reality, so I couldn’t fathom why God would hold a grudge against me for merely playing a game that in no way represents real life.

This same pattern has been repeating itself over and over: I try very hard to live up to God’s impossible standards and not make any so-called mistakes, sacrificing much of my mental health in doing so. Yet despite my best efforts, God always finds fault in me for something. Usually the fault he finds in me is something that practically no one except him thinks is wrong, and he says he won’t help me because of it. Frankly, I don’t know of any human who, if I were to ask for his help, would tell me no because he resented that I played a computer game he didn’t like.

I don’t understand God’s bizarre conduct. I desperately need his help, and he continues to tell me no because of faults he has found in me. In fact, I’m hurting so much from the way God has been treating me that I decided not to go to church yesterday. I would hear preaching where they say things like God loves you and such, but if God is love how could he possibly treat me like this?

I became a born again Christian a long time ago, having accepted Jesus as my savior and recognizing the truth. Since I’ve received the Holy Spirit and been forgiven with Christ, there isn’t any reason for God engage in excessive fault finding over trivial sins, and then tell me he will not help me. Yet that is precisely what God appears to be doing, and I don’t understand it.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
... because God won’t help me out of my atrocious situation. He hasn’t done so for the last ten years, and he isn’t showing any signs that he will have a change of heart and decide that I’m worth his help.
Last night I prayed to God and tried to appeal for his help through fairness. Unfortunately, I didn’t hear anything back. I really need his help, but his lack of response makes me think he isn’t interested. I feel so much grief and hopelessness now.
It appears the reason why God isn’t interested in helping me or even responding to my prayers is due to my sins, none of which are really serious, and my inability to live a life of perfection. If I were to do something innocuous like have a beer, God would tell me it’s a sin and seems to deem me unworthy of his help because of it.

God’s standards for what constitutes a sin are so rigorous that I would have to live in a monastery to achieve his impossibly high requirements...

Not too long ago I tried very hard to do what God requires so I could earn his help: I didn’t drink one sip of alcohol, and I quit using the tobacco.
When we pray, we need to keep some things in mind.

1. God isn't required to do what we ask of him. He may even know that what was asked for would be a mistake for you.

2. God has his own timetable. If what we want is good, he may grant it when the time is right.

3. We ought not minimize or excuse our sins when praying or try to bargain with God.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I kind of doubt that even though you might be partially right depending on what your talking about.

God’s standards for what constitutes a sin are so rigorous that I would have to live in a monastery to achieve his impossibly high requirements. Then again, that wouldn’t work either, since monks make products to pay the upkeep for their monasteries: soaps, chocolate and desserts, and beer. If a monk brews beer at his monastery to sell, God (assuming he is consistent here) would say that it is a sin because beer contains alcohol. So yeah, not even monks can live a life of absolute puritanical perfection.

I don't believe that. You do not have to be morally perfect to have prayers be answered.

The whole time God communicated to me multiple times that my so-called fault was playing a video game he didn’t like. Yet I dismissed those communications and did not believe it was from God. Millions of people play criminal fantasy games such as Grand Theft Auto and never commit any crimes in their entire life. Obviously it’s entertainment and not reality, so I couldn’t fathom why God would hold a grudge against me for merely playing a game that in no way represents real life.

I guess you should give up the video game. But I suspect you got issues with Obsessive Compulsive issues rather than God is telling you things. This is one of my favorite sermons I highly recommend it to people going through various hard times you should take the hour or so and listen to it and apply it as much as you can to your life.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God won’t help me out of my atrocious situation.
I am sorry you are suffering. As I read your testimony, I fear you have a misunderstanding of our Lord and Savior. You are in bondage through a deception that keeps you from truly loving your God with all your heart, soul and mind. Go back to your first love, Jesus Christ of Nazareth, surrender yourself with no expectations. This is true regeneration through His Holy Spirit.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Try writing some of your prayers and place them in a can, the God can, and reread six months from now and see what has changed. Waiting in trust reveals His work, doubting obscures it. by the only thing remaining unchanged is the double-mindedness. Re-reading where you were then and recognising the change builds faith. Faith can move mountains while we are standing still. Because what we can’t do, God can.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
...so my life will end in abysmal failure because God won’t help me out of my atrocious situation.
@Nine of Spades honestly I am truly sorry for your situation but this sounds like you're already in a negative mindset. The Bible says whatever is pure whatever is good whatever is noble whatever is praiseworthy think on those things. If you're already of the opinion that what I've quoted above is your lot in life the first step for things to get better is just be honest with God about how you feel. Don't blame God for the negativity in your life. There's a verse where Jesus says "why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts." Mathew 9:4. We should honestly dwell on positive things, things above things in Heaven and have faith, believe things can and will get better.
"Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1
Like the verse states believing what is unseen that is good will take place no matter where we are in life.

Don't think that "God won't help me out of my atrocious situation" that is believing in the negative and what is doubt other than the belief that the bad will take place whereas faith is belief that the good will take place.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟394,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
How is God telling you this about video games and not answering your other concerns? I think you would best see a local in person Pastor to review your dilemma because you need a lot of two way interaction that is difficult on the internet. You have several complex issues and yet you seem to misunderstand a good amount about Scripture that we can explain easily here. The Pharisees made the same mistake of trying to live to the law, and yet had hearts that were full of sin and

Start with reading Romans. All of it, but especially Romans 1 through Romans 8. Paul describes the suffering you are going through, but then in Romans 8:1 clears up the entire matter. Galatians 5:22-23 further tells you that we are no longer under the law, but are in grace, and that the fruit of the Spirit is not one of condemnation. Read what John wrote in my signature quotes. Jesus did not come to condemn the world, but to save it. See John 3:17.

I know all this is true because of my own direct experience. I don't live a monk's life either, but I cannot begin to count the number of prayers the Lord has answered, some of them outright miracles. In fact, if you did the odds, I should not be even alive right now given the accidents and health problems I've had, by an astronomical amount (1 x 10E20 or more type odds if you understand exponential notation).

Hope this helps.

Assistant Chaplain Jeff

Last edited:
Upvote 0