why the bible

I was in a different discussion which confused me.  I mentioned that I needed to talk with God more and read my bible to get some answers on some of life's questions.  I was told that I should not really rely on the bible because it was written my man and that the bible is not the word of God, Jesus is the word of God. 

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Luke 4:4
And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

John 8:31-32
Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free

Upvote 0

rapturefish

Kingdom Citizen, Spiritual Nomad
May 9, 2002
Sydney
✟17,650.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The Word of God is our primary record of God's relationship with us. It shows within it God's character and his Law, the Love of God as well as his Justice. Jesus is the very epitome of that - by dying on the cross, Jesus said at the same time, "I love you so much I'd rather die for your sins instead of seeing you die for your sins youself" and "I cannot let my sin go unpunished - I will fulfil the requirements of justice for the whole world so I won't lose you in doing so".

I don't know which gay people you talked to, but often if those of same-sex orientation try to claim to be both christian and gay at the same time, it will be done so by watering down the authority of God's word or distorting it to solve their apparent dilemma that God hates homosexual behaviour and yet feeling they are unable to shake off their cimpulsion to engage in same-sex acts.

The truth is, God promises freedom in the christian life. We didn't come into a life under God so we could be enslaved by the Law all over again, but to enjoy the freedom from the curse of our sinful ways by the Holy Spirit. When we yield and give up our sinfulo ways and choose to embrace the power o the Holy Spirit instead, our lives will be transformed so that we will no longe desire our sinful ways anymore but desire what God desires. It's not always instant, but it will happen a lot easier if you surrender your ways to God.

So, the Word of God is the test, the sand tray through which every message must be filtered. If any message comes from God then it will be in line with the Bible. And God speaks to us in many ways. He speaks through our circumstances, our friends, our enemies even, dreams, visions, prophecies, words of knowledge and wisdom, and of course the word of God.

So yes, do read your bible regularly, keep praying and asking God to fill you with his Holy Spirit and to speak to you every day. And listen and wait for an answer. When God answers, you will know. He could say the same thing several times to confirm it to you, it could be very subtle, or sometimes it could be more unusual.

It's also recommended that you find a mentor. Like paul and Timothy, we must choose a father or mother in Christ, a more mature christian (usually but not necessarily older) with whom you can share all your new discoveries and good and bad and questions with in your christian life. A relationship like this is wonderful for your walk.

blessings,

Upvote 0
Rapturefish,  Thank you for your response.  Makes sense.   The thing that I don't understand though is why would someone want to water down the truth to benefit themselves?

Also,  you mentioned about a mentor.    I am going thru a lot of struggles right now and I believe that the best thing for me is to be surrounded by christians.  This may sound silly, but how does acquire a mentor?  I have one via the internet because of a course I am taking to help with one of the struggles.  But sometimes it is more meaningful if I have one "in person".    I go to chruch every now and then, but sometimes I feel out of place there.  I think to myself, they know my struggles, they are judging me.  They won't accept me.

Upvote 0

GodOwnsMe

Sep 3, 2002
Visit site
✟2,433.00
Faith
Christian
:hug: well I know people are not perfect, but the bible says don't judge people actually.. do you think you just feel they wouldn't accept you or do they really not ? Just try and talk to people, our church has a lot of groups you can get involved in, maybe yours does to ? Definately talk to God about those things, that He'll show you what to do, etc. :) :pray:

I've done that myself too sometimes, I gotta admit (not that I think that was cool I don't want that !!).. interpreting things my way. Not good at all, pray for a sincere love & seek God, ya know seek and you'll find, ask and you'll receiver, knock and you'll be opened (I mean like I'll open you. Dunno really how to say that .. that's in the bible :))

watch out for Christian groups doing bible studies & talking & praying, I'm in one & it's really cool :)
and yeh talking to God along and reading the bible (which I believe is really His word !! I think He's watching over it ! More than that... I agree with that verse, but yes it was written by humans. Still agree with it being inspired. I got to think about this too cause ya know our religion teacher pretty much thínks it's all just made up it seems........... talk to God about it and ask Him to show you what's right)
on your own is an awesome and important thing to do aswell.
God Bless you sista !!!!

Upvote 0
19th March 2003 at 02:10 PM happy said this in Post #1 I was in a different discussion which confused me.  I mentioned that I needed to talk with God more and read my bible to get some answers on some of life's questions.  I was told that I should not really rely on the bible because it was written my man and that the bible is not the word of God, Jesus is the word of God. 

Happy:

Whoever told you that did not have your best interest at heart.  Listen to what the Lord Jesus says to you: "Man shall not live by bread alone, BUT BY EVERY WORD that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." (Matthew 4:4).

You were right in saying you needed to talk to God and you also needed to let Him talk to you through His written Word, "For the Word of God is quick [alive, a living Word] and POWERFUL  and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow [piercing into your innermost being], and is a DISCERNER of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in His sight [the written Word and Christ the Word of God are here shown as interchangeable]; but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of Him [God] with whom we have to do" (Hebrews 4:12-13).

If you do not already have a good King James Bible (1611 A.D.),  not the New King James (which has been significantly changed), please get one at the earliest, or consult a KJV online since there are many web sites where you can access it (including this one). Memorize this Bible's key Scriptures.

Upvote 0