✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit highlights the power of God which points people to Jesus

Denying the Baptism of the Holy Spirit focuses on what God no longer does, which points people away from Jesus

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is designed to produce: Edification, exhortation, comfort, healings, miracles, faith, blessing, insight, growth and intimacy with God.

Denying the Baptism of the Holy Spirit produces: Bitterness, resentment, argumentativeness, indifference and a necessity to dismiss or minimize when God heals or performs miracles, signs and wonders.

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit means that the Holy Spirit (comforter) cares about your situation and wants to do something about it.

Denying the Baptism of the Holy Spirit means that God was never interested in actually helping people, only getting His book completely written. In proving Himself.

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is clearly mentioned and demonstrated in many places in the Bible.

Denying the Baptism of the Holy Spirit requires considerable twisting and extrapolation of a select few scriptures.

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit requires understanding and acting upon God’s word.

Denying the Baptism of the Holy Spirit no proof is possible because denying only requires inaction.

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is simple.

Denying the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is difficult to understand.

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit does not require rejecting those who love Jesus, but do not believe in it.

Denying the Baptism of the Holy Spirit requires a complete rejection of those who love Jesus but flow in it. Even to the point of vilifying them and calling them names.

So, my (rhetorical) question is: which one sounds more like Jesus?

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit highlights the power of God which points people to Jesus

Denying the Baptism of the Holy Spirit focuses on what God no longer does, which points people away from Jesus

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is designed to produce: Edification, exhortation, comfort, healings, miracles, faith, blessing, insight, growth and intimacy with God.

Denying the Baptism of the Holy Spirit produces: Bitterness, resentment, argumentativeness, indifference and a necessity to dismiss or minimize when God heals or performs miracles, signs and wonders.

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit means that the Holy Spirit (comforter) cares about your situation and wants to do something about it.

Denying the Baptism of the Holy Spirit means that God was never interested in actually helping people, only getting His book completely written. In proving Himself.

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is clearly mentioned and demonstrated in many places in the Bible.

Denying the Baptism of the Holy Spirit requires considerable twisting and extrapolation of a select few scriptures.

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit requires understanding and acting upon God’s word.

Denying the Baptism of the Holy Spirit no proof is possible because denying only requires inaction.

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit does not require rejecting those who love Jesus, but do not believe in it.

Denying the Baptism of the Holy Spirit requires a complete rejection of those who love Jesus but flow in it. Even to the point of vilifying them and calling them names.

Yes, the baptism of the Holy Spirit is for today. How else can we overcome sin without being born again of the Spirit. It is the Spirit of Christ that makes us dead to sin, and alive to the Spirit. Jesus came to take away our sin, not to just cover it up while we keep sinning.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Stick to scripture and it will sort itself out.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is what is the issue today.

The issue is what is of the Holy Spirit and what is demonic.

Some people take the demonic and run with that, instead of testing the spirits and making certain it is scriptural.

The Holy Spirit CONFIRMS scripture.. it's not a means of divining the future in our day, its not fortune telling.

Prophecy means speaking with God's voice, which is 100% scripture.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
There are nine gifts of the Spirit, the only one I've seen in action is speaking in tongues, which is the least of the gifts.

The Apostle Paul had many sleepless nights with this problem in the Corinth church. I'm afraid we are still having this same problem today.

I'm not knocking the gifts of the Holy Spirit, just saying it's not as simple as you make it sound. There are lots of liars out there saying they have this gift or that gift. It's a touchy situation that I pray about quite a bit.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

I think when baptism is mentioned in the New Testament, they are talking about water baptism, that would be my denominations opinion.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are nine gifts of the Spirit, the only one I've seen in action is speaking in tongues, which is the least of the gifts.

The Apostle Paul had many sleepless nights with this problem in the Corinth church. I'm afraid we are still having this same problem today.

I'm not knocking the gifts of the Holy Spirit, just saying it's not as simple as you make it sound. There are lots of liars out there saying they have this gift or that gift. It's a touchy situation that I pray about quite a bit.
If you compare today's "gifts" with the originals (takes dedicated study), they have nothing in common.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If you compare today's "gifts" with the originals (takes dedicated study), they have nothing in common.

The gifts of God do not change, they are the same today as 2000 years ago. However, the opinions of man have and will continue to change. This is the problem with the gifts, imo.

Reactions: Cherrein
Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The gifts of God do not change, they are the same today as 2000 years ago. However, the opinions of man have and will continue to change. This is the problem with the gifts, imo.
Today's charismatic "gifts" are not the same as the originals. Today's gifts are conjured up to mimic the real gifts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CharismaticLady

Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't think the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is what is the issue today.

The issue is what is of the Holy Spirit and what is demonic.

Some people take the demonic and run with that, instead of testing the spirits and making certain it is scriptural.

The Holy Spirit CONFIRMS scripture.. it's not a means of divining the future in our day, its not fortune telling.

The problem today is not what is demonic, but what of the Holy Spirit is condemned to be demonic.

cc: @Charlie24 Please make sure you are not one who blasphemes. You seem like you are really a true seeker. Stay wise. Remember covenant theology. Not a jot or a tittle ceases during the running of a covenant, until that covenant may come to an end. Jesus fulfilled the Old Covenant. We are in a New Covenant of the Spirit, and the gifts will not cease until we see God face to face.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate

Acts 2:38-39
38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”

1 Corinthians 12:7-11
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

Do you have one (or more) of these "manifestations"? Do you @Dave L?

There is much ignorance in the Cessationist section of the Church, teaching and believing that the gifts of the Spirit were ONLY for the writing of Scripture, and since the Bible was published, the gifts ceased. Not so. Joel 2 and Hosea 6:1-3 speaks of the early and latter rain. The Day of Pentecost was the early rain of the Church. Then came the long dry summer when the Church only had a sprinkle here and there of the Spirit. And now has come the latter rain of the Spirit before the second coming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Today the problem is not what is demonic, but what of the Holy Spirit is condemned to be demonic. Blasphemy!

1 John 4:1
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Galatians 1:8
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God's curse!

Matthew 7:21
Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven”

Paul says that the Scriptures are inspired and make the Christian “competent, equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16-17). Not just some good works. “Every good work.”

The Spirit taught the apostles “all things” (John 14:26) and led them into “all truth” (John 16:13) which we know for us today is understanding of His Word..

Jeremiah 31:33
“I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people."

Not divination.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Acts 2:38-39
38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call.”

1 Corinthians 12:7-11
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

Do you have one (or more) of these "manifestations"? Do you @Dave L?

There is much ignorance in the Cessationist section of the Church, teaching and believing that the gifts of the Spirit were ONLY for the writing of Scripture, and since the Bible was published, the gifts ceased. Not so. Joel 2 and Hosea 6:1-3 speaks of the early and latter rain. The Day of Pentecost was the early rain of the Church. Then came the long dry summer when the Church only had a sprinkle here and there of the Spirit. And now has come the latter rain of the Spirit before the second coming.

Please go to the other Baptism of the Holy Spirit thread, started by Dave. There I state my position clearly.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
1 John 4:1
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

It is sad you failed to quote the rest - the test.

1 John 4:1-3
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.

Not divination.
*Staff Edit*

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Please go to the other Baptism of the Holy Spirit thread, started by Dave. There I state my position clearly.

Edited! I was right about you all along. You ARE a seeker of truth!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In 1 Corinthians 3:1-2, the same letter that Paul defines the gifts and their operation he says that they, the Corinthians, have been and still are too inmatutre for the meat of the word, therefore everything that follows is milk.

Meaning? Paul told them to eagerly seek the gifts, yet he considered arguing over them and bickering over their definitions milk for the inmatutre.

Food for thought... Or should I say milk for thought.

Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As a new convert at a very charismatic congregation back in my youth, I was taught that the baptism of the Holy Spirit came with the evidence of speaking in tongues, and the verses cited are well known from Acts. The way I see it now makes much more sense to me. Here's my take on it for any to ponder, research, refute, or whatever.

Jesus told the disciples that they were to take this message to the GENTILES/NATIONS. On the day of Pentecost, they spoke the languages of the GENTILES. Despite this miraculous occurrence and the tremendous inflow of God-fearing Gentiles, the disciples were hanging around their own and not venturing into the further reaches of the nations. No wonder God had to give Cornelius some impetus, Peter a vision, and the Gentiles gathered at Cornelius' home the same outpouring, so Peter could be sure that this was indeed a stepping over from the traditions so ingrained in him. Or, to cut Peter a little slack, maybe he too was going to the Jew first and also (when duly prompted by God) also to the Gentile.

As I've walked alongside several denominations, I've heard some really interesting twists on this Holy Spirit baptism/infilling question, views that oppose each other, all with citations from scholars backing up their point of view. Forgive my audacity to suggest that maybe the meaning is much simpler. What God promised to give we have no reason to worry that He won't give it as long as we fulfill part of any if-then kind of agreement. If we follow in baptism in the way He told us, If we repent, If we confess...then what God said He would do is what He will do, and there's no need for anything further than simple child-like faith. Peter also reminds us that God has given us everything needed for life and godliness in our knowledge of Him. You won't find me arguing that we don't need the Holy Spirit today! I know I do! If that which people received leads them to life and godliness in our knowledge of Him, then I'm game to accept that it's the Holy Spirit, who grows fruit in our lives of love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, self control. If whatever a person received leads them to one-upmanship (or worse), I'd question the validity of their experience and encourage repentance.

What we are given is not for ourselves but for the building up of the Body of Christ and to be a light to draw people to Jesus. Corinth was a congregation with some unique problems deserving at least 2 letters from Paul. Sad to say it's not with us today, although I would agree that the problems that plagued Corinth are evident in our societies. Would that we so live that there will be no question what happened to us in roughly 2000 years.

Upvote 0