Why teach creationism in public school science classes?

SplitRock

Apr 1, 2003
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟142.00
Faith
Agnostic
The reason I became interested in the Creation-Evolution debate was my concern over the political attempts to get creation taught as science in our country’s public school systems. I think it is a very bad idea to teach a religious concept as if it was science and to force public school teachers and school districts to include creationism (either Scientific Creationism or I.D.) in their science curriculum. My question for creationists in this forum is: Do you believe that creationism should be taught either with or in place of evolution in public school science classes? If so, what should be taught and why? I ask this question because it is possible for someone to have a particular religious belief, but not want it taught in public schools because they believe it is not the proper place to teach it. Thanks and please let’s keep the discussion civil.

WinAce

Just an old legend...
Jun 23, 2002
In perpetual bliss, so long as I'm with Jess.
Visit site
✟16,806.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think creationism should be taught in school, yes. We teach the phlogiston and aether theories, as well as the experiments that falsified them, so why not add creationism to the mix? Seeing the predictions of creationism defined and compared with real-world data, falsifying it, would be a good lesson on the scientific method.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Various groups that are lobbying to have creationism inserted to science class are doing so for theological reasons, not scientific ones. Hence, it should not be taught in science class (unless, yes, you want to demonstrate how theories are falsified in the course of scientific discovery).

But teaching creationism in science class would be like teaching Shakespeare in gym class. It's the wrong venue.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
So, do you believe creationism should be taught in science class?

Do you believe creationism should be held to the same standard as evolution?

Do you believe the creation stories of all religions should be taught, or only the christian one?

Today at 04:14 PM Jon said this in Post #5

* Jon thinks that if evoultion is taught in a public school then creationism should be taught too.
* Jon dosn't think that creationism or evoultion should be taught by themselves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Osiris

Übermensch
Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
✟4,264.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I remember seeing the first chapter of Genesis in my senior english books(But we didn't read it =\). I think that's the subject it should be in, not in science, because it doesn't have any scientific imformation. On the other hand, it can be read in english classes like Hamlet, Beowolf or any other works of literature if people want it to be taught in schools so much.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Today at 07:14 PM Jon said this in Post #5

* Jon thinks that if evoultion is taught in a public school then creationism should be taught too.
* Jon dosn't think that creationism or evoultion should be taught by themselves.

Jon, how do we teach creationism as a valid theory when it has been falsified?  How do you expect teachers to lie to their students like that?

Upvote 0

wb3

Live like you will die tommorrow and learn like yo
Aug 3, 2002
Warner Robins, GA
Visit site
✟7,868.00
Faith
Christian
Excuse you! I would not go up to you and tell you are completely wrong about a particular belief without presenting a shred of evidence. I expect the same respect out of everyone that is decent enough to participate in a forum such as this.
Now, my individual belief is that as evolution is not a scientific law such as is gravity and in the process of BELIEVING it you must make some assumptions as do you in creation. First you really must somewhat believe in the Bible. You may say that that violates separation of church and state but in reality it does not. Separation of church and state means the government cannot endorse a view. Teaching creation/evolution is neither endorsing a THEORY but fairly presenting a view for young adults to decipher between. Scientific creationism is as valid a theory as is evolution. I am a hardcore Creationist, yet I believe that if either one of these theories is going to be taught they both should be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
my individual belief is that as evolution is not a scientific law such as is gravity and in the process of BELIEVING it

You cant compare evolution to the "law of gravity" you need to compare it to the theory of gravity.

Scientific creationism is as valid a theory as is evolution.

Then you have evidence that supports creationism?

Please, can you show us how its as valid?

Today at 05:50 PM wb3 said this in Post #15

Excuse you! I would not go up to you and tell you are completely wrong about a particular belief without presenting a shred of evidence. I expect the same respect out of everyone that is decent enough to participate in a forum such as this.
Now, my individual belief is that as evolution is not a scientific law such as is gravity and in the process of BELIEVING it you must make some assumptions as do you in creation. First you really must somewhat believe in the Bible. You may say that that violates separation of church and state but in reality it does not. Separation of church and state means the government cannot endorse a view. Teaching creation/evolution is neither endorsing a THEORY but fairly presenting a view for young adults to decipher between. Scientific creationism is as valid a theory as is evolution. I am a hardcore Creationist, yet I believe that if either one of these theories is going to be taught they both should be.

Upvote 0

wb3

Live like you will die tommorrow and learn like yo
Aug 3, 2002
Warner Robins, GA
Visit site
✟7,868.00
Faith
Christian
The next time you drop a wood board on your big toe, you tell me gravity is not a law. Have not seen anything go up without a source of energy propeling it. Evolution, never seen a monkey that looked like a human and had the intelligence.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
If your source of reasoning is the bible, then there is a reason why creationism should be taught in science.

1) Science isnt religious, so, the bible or "goddidit" are not really allowed in science.

2) it would be teaching one religion over another, unless you believe the schools should teach Every creation myth from Every religion.

3) In science, if valid evidence is found to conflict with your hypothesis (the bible) then it means your hypothesis is wrong, and not the evidence.

The interesting part is that the evidence only conflicts with a literal view of the bible, but doesnt conflict with how the majority of christians view the bible.

Today at 06:01 PM wb3 said this in Post #17

the evidence for evolution. I have not seen any compelling evidence yet. maybe you can offer some that does conflict with my source of reasoning, the Bible.

Upvote 0