Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
St. Francis de Sales would look at the life of a mystic to discern whether or not they were being deceived by Satan.

St. Francis de Sales was skeptical of any person who claimed to have mystical visions or a deep spiritual life but were uncharitable toward their neighbor.

Pope Francis quotes the saint’s writings on the topic in his apostolic letter, Totum amoris est.

If you see a person who in prayer has raptures that exalt him above himself to God, and yet has no ecstasy of life, that is, he does not lead a life elevated and joined to God, above all by means of constant charity, believe me, Theotimus, all his raptures are exceedingly dubious and dangerous.
St. Francis de Sales goes even one step further, and claims that if a mystic does not lead a life of charity, their spiritual experiences could be from Satan himself.

Continued below.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟439,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
St. Francis de Sales would look at the life of a mystic to discern whether or not they were being deceived by Satan.

St. Francis de Sales was skeptical of any person who claimed to have mystical visions or a deep spiritual life but were uncharitable toward their neighbor.

Pope Francis quotes the saint’s writings on the topic in his apostolic letter, Totum amoris est.

If you see a person who in prayer has raptures that exalt him above himself to God, and yet has no ecstasy of life, that is, he does not lead a life elevated and joined to God, above all by means of constant charity, believe me, Theotimus, all his raptures are exceedingly dubious and dangerous.
St. Francis de Sales goes even one step further, and claims that if a mystic does not lead a life of charity, their spiritual experiences could be from Satan himself.

Continued below.
I would think even mystics themselves worry.
Or should.

I also believe mystics, if genuine, will have greater battles in which they may fail without the help from the Church, the Lord and prayer.
If we are not humbled to the Lord and we're not all helping people, and mindful on the constant, deception is lying in wait.

I personally feel all have intuition and the Church ought to be the sounding board for teachings, or you could go off and fail.

Upvote 0

SashaMaria

He is risen! Alleluia!
Jun 23, 2018
East coast
✟203,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I love St. Francis, have adopted him as one of my patron saints and am currently reading Introduction to the Devout Life.

My life is filled with anxiety, fear and sadness as the elderly caregiver to my 95 year old mom. I have anticipatory grief, anxiety about my mom and how she’s doing each day and fear about being homeless because all I’ll have is my SS benefit. Every day, at least once a day, I say this wisdom saying of St. Francis, which comforts me:

Do not fear
what may happen tomorrow.
The same loving Father
Who cares for you today,
will care for you tomorrow and everyday.
Either He will shield you from suffering
or He will give you
unfailing strength to bear it.
Be at peace, then,
and put aside all anxious thoughts
and imagings.

Remembering him on his feast day.
St. Francis de Sales, pray for us!

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0