Why so much division within Christianity on book of Revelation?

Anglian

let us love one another, for love is of God
Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Uh yeah . look at the frequency of greek words per sentence in revelation . (very simple) and the frequency of greek words per sentence in John .(many, complex) . and then after that look at all the literary devices used in the Gospel of John .. the writer of Revelation does not illustrate this "literary" knowledge so any teacher would have alarm bells go off . it is not all that unreasonable to think that John's name was put on it for continuity purposes .

the personalities of the people writing these texts is totally different . writing style is like a fingerprint . so i would need some real good reason why the author of revelation wrote like a tradesman and the author of John wrote like a tax collector (like Matthew or John-Mark) or other educated profession (such as a literary scholar) .

the gap is a bit too obvious to not notice .
Thanks, we are in entire agreement. Fact is we have no idea who wrote the Apocalypse, and many scholars have similar doubts as to whether we can really identify the author of St. John's Gospel with the Apostle John.

peace,

Anglian

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks, we are in entire agreement. Fact is we have no idea who wrote the Apocalypse, and many scholars have similar doubts as to whether we can really identify the author of St. John's Gospel with the Apostle John.

peace,

Anglian
Most would agree though that if it was not John himself, then it was one of his students. If this is so then we can accept it as an accurate reflection of his theology.

Another possiblity is that the Apocalypse was written early, around 65 AD. There is a very strong argument for this.

If the Gospel were written around 95 AD he would have had an additional 30 years of education in the language.

Or, he may have dictated it to someone more educated in the language.

Nevertheless, nobody in the world of Christian Orthodoxy doubts the authenticity of John's Gospel.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Fragments of the Gospel of John do not appear in the writings of the church fathers until the second century and it is not acknowledged as one of the gospels alongside Mark, Luke and Matthew until the third century

but its still a gospel . just more polished than the others . and written for an audience that wasn't there . unlike the synoptics .

Upvote 0

Anglian

Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Most would agree though that if it was not John himself, then it was one of his students. If this is so then we can accept it as an accurate reflection of his theology.

Another possiblity is that the Apocalypse was written early, around 65 AD. There is a very strong argument for this.

If the Gospel were written around 95 AD he would have had an additional 30 years of education in the language.

Or, he may have dictated it to someone more educated in the language.

Nevertheless, nobody in the world of Christian Orthodoxy doubts the authenticity of John's Gospel.
Yes, I agree with what you say here on St. John's Gospel.

I think our friend Michael goes beyond what I read when he says it was not acknowledged until the third century; it is there in Irenaeus in the mid second century. He is, of course, correct that some verses were added in the second or third century, which simply speaks further to the Catholic and Orthodox point that one cannot read the Bible apart from Tradition.

For me, the Gospel according to St. John is the book of the Bible I turn to most. I never tire of its cadences or its message.

peace,

Anglian

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why so much division within Christianity on book of Revelation?
Why is there such a wide diversity of views concerning the Book of Revelation in the NT/NC of the Bible?
This has always confounded me. Thanks for any input and thoughts on this. God bless
Um, probably because there is so much division within Christianity period.
:sorry:

Upvote 0

Trento

Senior Veteran
Apr 12, 2002
AZ. Between the Holy Cross river and the Saint Rit
Visit site
✟22,534.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why is there such a wide diversity of views concerning the Book of Revelation in the NT/NC of the Bible?
This has always confounded me. Thanks for any input and thoughts on this. God bless

edit to add: ACCCKKKK! The word "do" in the title should be "so" LOL.....Could a mod or admin change it for me? Thanks

Be confused no longer as Luther gave us the answer. He said "Scripture is like wax noses; it can be twisted to fit." He should know.

2 Peter 3:15: "There are some things in them [St. Paul's letters] hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures."

Upvote 0

Trento

Senior Veteran
Apr 12, 2002
AZ. Between the Holy Cross river and the Saint Rit
Visit site
✟22,534.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Dear LLOJ,

My knowledgeable Greek friends tell me the Greek is idiosyncratic - and there is a tradition which says that that is because this was not St. John's first language. But the links between the author of this book and that of the Johannine Gospel and letters is now doubted by many, if not most, modern Bible scholars.

Hope that helps:wave:

peace,

Anglian

Hellow Anglian. After reading this I Must tell you of an incident which played out before my very eyes. Where I used to live there is a Mystic Phillipino woman who has been given many spiritual gifts. She has only a 3rd grade education and is employd as a maid. During a prayer meeting I was attending she went into a state of ecstasy and while looking straight up with eyes closed she began to write on a plane piece of paper a message which she said later was from St. John. Even though she was looking straight up with eyes closed with no lines on the paper the writing was as neat and straight as you see in this text. Though she only knows her native language and some English she was writing in Ancient Greek. The letter she wrote had to be taken to Syracuse University in order to be translated.
I was standing only a few feet away and while all this is taking place she began to sweat (only way i can explain it) gold dust and glitter from face arms and neck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anglian
Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,029.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I agree with what you say here on St. John's Gospel.

I think our friend Michael goes beyond what I read when he says it was not acknowledged until the third century; it is there in Irenaeus in the mid second century. He is, of course, correct that some verses were added in the second or third century, which simply speaks further to the Catholic and Orthodox point that one cannot read the Bible apart from Tradition.

For me, the Gospel according to St. John is the book of the Bible I turn to most. I never tire of its cadences or its message.

peace,

Anglian
Tradition has it St. John wrote Revelation on the island of Patmos. My parents have visited the cave where he wrote it. :)

Upvote 0

Anglian

Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am very grateful to our brother, Trento, for sharing that remarkable story.

As our sister, Dorothea tells us, the Apocalypse was supposed to have been written on Patmos. If that was so, it is all the odder that the Eastern Church should have known so little of the book. This is yet another of those areas where I, for one, would like there to be more history and more tradition:)

peace,

Anglian (traditional traditionalist)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am very grateful to our brother, Trento, for sharing that remarkable story.

As our sister, Dorothea tells us, the Apocalypse was supposed to have been written on Patmos. If that was so, it is all the odder that the Eastern Church should have known so little of the book. This is yet another of those areas where I, for one, would like there to be more history and more tradition:)

peace,

Anglian (traditional traditionalist)
I have a thread on Patmos

I am really not sure if that is the island we know as Patmos today or not.

Patmos is a Transliterated greek word for example.

I will have to look more into the history of that island. Thoughts?

http://www.christianforums.com/t7367198/
John and the island of Patmos

Upvote 0

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0