• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Why so against dancing?

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by TwilightSol, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwilightSol

TwilightSol Member

+7
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I've never really understood how other bapists could be so against dancing. In the Bible it says several times to rejoice, and it explains the ways in which the Lord wants us to praise him. Dancing is one of those ways. (Forgive my lack of referance:doh:) What's your opions I'd like to know.
    :tutu: :cheer:

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,278
    Christian
    Married
    Club dancing isn't done for the Glory of God~rather it's done for more earthy reasons...yet don't think all baptists shun dancing. The local homeschool co-op (in which there are some baptists) has an award winning square dance group~do you like square dancing?

3. trentlogain

trentlogain Junior Member

+7
    Christian
    Single
    I don't have a problem with it. David danced before the Lord. I think even Rachael danced before the Lord as well. The key phrase is "before The Lord".

4. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,278
    Christian
    Married
    And they weren't bustin' it with 50cent...:D[​IMG][​IMG]

5. lilydawn

lilydawn Guest

+0
    If it is done out of joy and not in a sinful way.

6. Hentenza

Hentenza I will fear no evil for You are with me

+3,227
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    As long as is not disco.^_^^_^^_^

[​IMG]

7. HolyRevolution

HolyRevolution Newbie

+2
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I think if you are doing it for God then its kool but if for sin its bad.

8. edie19

edie19 Legend Supporter

+9,446
    Christian
    I don't like much of the "suggestive" dancing that I see, but aside from that no problem with dancing at all

9. JCFantasy23

JCFantasy23 In a Kingdom by the Sea. Supporter

+6,293
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    I see no problem at all with dancing. I'm surprised to hear many Baptists do? Dancing is an art form and a form of self-expression. It is physically healthy for exercise and a great stress reliever. In worship settings, I have not seen dancing but why not? Ballet and other ice skating dancing are just gorgeous. Dancing with friends is fun. I do this as a form of exercise with my best friend. We put on some music and dance around, sometimes with a strobe light, to get into shape and warm up for toning exercises.

10. seekHisMercy

seekHisMercy Guest

+0
    In my 42 years being Baptist I still haven't found a Baptist church nor know of one, that shuns, bans, bad mouths, runs down, or otherwise.... clean normal dancing. I think it's another one of the rumors purported by other faiths or atheist. I think if you go to place where you find half naked people rubbing and down on each other you'll finds all faiths having something to say about it.

11. arunma

arunma Flaming Calvinist

+782
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I'm against dancing because it's a good excuse to hide the fact that I couldn't dance to save my life. ^_^

12. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,278
    Christian
    Married
    Yeah I saw that clip on youtube~it was pretty bad:D

13. FreeinChrist

FreeinChrist CF Advisory team Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+13,593
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Democrat

I'm not against dancing just because it is dancing. Some of it is fun. I like folk dancing alot. But alot of dancing in clubs is in no way glorifiying God. Some of it is dowright profane in how it imitates sexual acts.

14. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,278
    Christian
    Married
    I don't like square dancing, had to do it in PE class in Jr High, never recovered from the trauma[​IMG]

15. FreeinChrist

FreeinChrist CF Advisory team Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+13,593
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I'm not big on American square dancing.. I use to take international folk dancing and learned a variety of dances from other countries, including English (european square dancing) - like that alot..

Havne't been able to do it for a decade or so though...

16. edie19

edie19 Legend Supporter

+9,446
    Christian
    I probably shouldn't share this, but I sprained my ankle square dancing in Jr. High phys ed class

17. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,278
    Christian
    Married
    Another casualty of forced Jr High square dancing~how many more must suffer?
    [​IMG]

18. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,278
    Christian
    Married
    Good square dancing requires a banjo & fiddle~do those Brits even know about banjos & fiddles?:D

European square dancing indeed~~when I think of Euro folk dancin' I think of one thing .. POLKAS...where's my accordian?

19. edie19

edie19 Legend Supporter

+9,446
    Christian
    much more dangerous than dodge ball

20. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,278
    Christian
    Married
    Dodge ball is useful~teaches hand/eye coordination and team skills; square dancing is from the dark side[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.