Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus knew that forgiving an enemy stopped a person from developing a root of bitterness. Forgiving someone releases the person from your hook but not necessarily God's. Forgiveness stops the wronged person taking revenge. The Scripture says that vengeance belongs to God alone. But when a person repents before God, forgiveness comes and vengeance is turned away. Unforgiveness and the resulting bitterness can blight a person's life both mentally and physically and is a prominent cause of alcoholism, mental illness, strokes and heart disease. Forgiveness is not for the guilty party's benefit, nor is it for God's, but it is for the wronged person to prevent bitterness and the negative affects of it.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Very wise answers.
I admit forgiveness is the biggest thing i struggle with. I pray for help and am making progress. When my husband died of cancer a number of people in my life walked away and abandoned me. Including our only daughter.
Despite being left for dead myself, i have survived and thrived. Not by my strength but through Jesus Christ. I still have no contact with those involved and slowly i must forgive. It is important but terribly hard.

• Prayers
Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Why should you listen to Jesus when he says so?
Hmmm the premise of the question implies some wrestling with the flesh, but that aside...

Benefits of Forgiving Enemies ...

1) It actually helps with sanctification to forgive yourself.
2) It preaches the gospel without words, in that Jesus said at the cross .. forgive them Father, they know not what they do.
3) God does it, so this is part of being like God.
4) .... there's actually a lot more ... but that's what comes to me at the moment.

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

First, I would say a person needs to decide IF they are going to Trust to Believe the Word of God is Truth, whether or not they yet understand it.

Secondly, Forgiving an enemy, simply puts an end to efforts and focus on them.

It is easy to look at or think of an enemy, and conjur up endless ways to get even, get revenge, get upset to see them, hear their name, all kinds of nonsense to that effect.
It's time consuming, burdening, and simply diverts your energy away from focusing on God.

God Bless,
Happy New Year,
SBC

Reactions: Viren
Upvote 0

Danoh

Oct 11, 2011
✟40,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If you look at forgiving others as something you have to do but do not feel like doing, you will find yourself "in between" your own self-imposed "rock and a hard place."

On the other hand, you can choose to look at forgiving as an opportunity to thank the Lord by extending towards another what was extended towards you when you least deserved it.

In other words, if you'll just remind yourself of this here...

Romans 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. 5:7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

You'll find yourself easily able to carry out this here...

Ephesians 4:31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

How?

By simply focusing on all that from the following perspective - "forgiving...even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."

In other words, by focusing on how that "God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

By focusing on how that you now have an opportunity to obey verse 42 there "in remembrance of me..."

1 Corinthians 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

And that is a standard you can easily meet - "forgiving in remembrance of Him - just as He forgave me...when I least deserved it; thank you Lord!"

Think on that. Reflect on it. Meditate on it.

On this opportunity some fool's injury toward you has provided you with - the opportunity to thank your Saviour by forgiving in remembrance of Him, of His having forgiven you, while you were yet a sinner!

This is what it means to walk in Him.

And think about this...

2 Timothy 2:11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: 2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: 2:13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

How's that for an additional blessing!

All because some knucklehead injured you.

For forgiveness does not mean such are not to be held accountable for their actions.

Romans 12:17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. 12:18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

How does that work?

By focusing on this here...

Romans 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. 12:20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. 12:21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

Forgiveness in the Lord simply means victory in Him over such injuries.

Anyway, try that...

Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Because Rom. 5: 6-8.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So if you forgive someone do you have to have them back again in your life? That's where i am stuck. Say a friend or relative betrayed your trust. Must we demonstrate that we have truly forgiven them by having them back in our lives and acting as if nothing is a problem any more?
This is beyond my strength i have to say.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OP: Q: "Why should you listen to (obey) Jesus when he says so? (follow commands / precepts examples)".

A:
John 14:15...Jesus' BIG "IF's"
IF you love Me, you will keep My commandments.(PRECEPTS: LOVE COMMANDED!)

Such as: "FOLLOW" + "OBEY" + "TRUST" + be in the WILL OF GOD + "LOVE "one another" + ETC

John 13:35
By this all men will know that you are My disciples, IF you have love for "one another".”

John 14:23...Jesus answered and said to him,
IF anyone loves Me, he will keep My word;
and My Father will love him,
and We will come to him and make Our abode (DWELLING) with him.

John 15:10
IF you keep My commandments, you will abide (DWELL) in My love;
just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

Romans 13:9
For this, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,”
and IF there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying,
“You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” (LOVE GOD + LOVE NEIGHBOR AS SELF)

Enemies are neighbors!

Romans 12:20
“But if your enemy is hungry, feed him, and if he is thirsty, give him a drink; for in so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.”

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So if you forgive someone do you have to have them back again in your life? That's where i am stuck. Say a friend or relative betrayed your trust. Must we demonstrate that we have truly forgiven them by having them back in our lives and acting as if nothing is a problem any more?
Forgiveness is unrelated to the physical proximity our interactions with the person you are forgiving. Forgiveness is all about you and all for you.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
If we don't forgive people who have repented of their sin, they won't forgive us when we repent of our sin.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Matthew 18 says that those fully forgiven will experience "forgiveness revoked" if they do not forgive "as they have been forgiven" -- and that means they will pay their own debt of sin in the lake of fire -- in fiery hell -- the lake of fire and brimstone. Instead of getting "heaven" for that choice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Danoh

Oct 11, 2011
✟40,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Sometime ago, I had a person in my life who would repeatedly break their word to me.

I decided to cut them out of my life, at the same time that I forgave them.

For I forgave them simply because I decided to forgive them; because I am instructed to.

Not because they merited it.

They still have to right their wrong.

I hear about them here and there. They remain the same person I found I had to walk away from.

Matthew 10:12 And when ye come into an house, salute it. 10:13 And if the house be worthy, let your peace come upon it: but if it be not worthy, let your peace return to you. 10:14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

Acts 13:49 And the word of the Lord was published throughout all the region. 13:50 But the Jews stirred up the devout and honourable women, and the chief men of the city, and raised persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them out of their coasts. 13:51 But they shook off the dust of their feet against them, and came unto Iconium.

You move on.

Knowing that your heart is right; and your conscious is clear.

If that is not sufficient consolation, then simply remember Rom. 5: 6-8...

And walk on...

Upvote 0

geetrue

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
Beach House
Visit site
✟73,776.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
We are suppose to forgive even as we have been forgiven, but when God forgave us it set us free. When I forgive my neighbor or my family it only works for me ... not for them. My neighbor is a witch and my daughter is a witch and my son has lied about me to his mother that I am a homosexual, which I am not, in his eyes because I have not had sex in 35 years so therefore to him I must be a homosexual.

Forgive ... yes to this scripture and to let the Lord do the judging yes to this scripture, but it didn't change them. My grudge is gone, but like Lilly54 I no longer have anything to do with them and they stay away from me for who knows why. The pain is still there with no family left.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,240.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We forgive them the harm they may have done us, but we do not give them the opportunity to cause us further harm. Not until they themselves begin to repent of their actions.
You best not rely on your own strength :) but if you give God the opportunity, He will give you sufficient strength to endure.

Upvote 0