Why should we read the lives of the saints?

-Sasha-

Handmaid of God
Apr 12, 2019
Midwest
✟27,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do you have any stories on how this has been beneficial for you, or related quotes you'd like to share? Here are a couple I've collected while reading the lives of some contemporary saints:

"He also liked reading the lives of the saints, which relax the mind, sweeten the heart, enrich ones discernment, and increase one's zeal for greater ascetical feats. He said that the lives of the saints are like a mirror in which one can see ones faults." - Elder Ephraim, 'My Elder Joseph the Hesychast'

"The saints are friends of God. All day long one can meditate on and take delight in their achievements and imitate their way of life. The saints gave themselves entirely to Christ. By reading these books, you will gradually acquire meekness, humility and love, and your soul will be made good." - Saint Porphyrios, 'Wounded by Love'

"When we read the lives of the saints, we gain two things. Firstly, the example of their struggles wakes us from the numbness of negligence, and secondly when we read the lives of the saints with reverence, the saints intercede to Christ for us." -Elder Arsenios the cave-dweller

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reading about the life of Saint Maximilian Maria Kolbe has been of great help to me. He wrote, but was never able to collect all of his thoughts and theology into a single book.

He has helped me, though, to stay on board at a difficult job, hang in there, and keep going. There is a theology of thought, then there is a theology of love and difficulty. I think Saint Maximilian Kolbe has helped me live out that second one.

Reactions: -Sasha-
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,272,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Reading about the life of Saint Maximilian Maria Kolbe has been of great help to me. He wrote, but was never able to collect all of his thoughts and theology into a single book.

He has helped me, though, to stay on board at a difficult job, hang in there, and keep going. There is a theology of thought, then there is a theology of love and difficulty. I think Saint Maximilian Kolbe has helped me live out that second one.
Any specific books of his you’d recommend?

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status