✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You're in the Catholic section, bro.

Forgive me.. am I not allowed to post here? I'm serious.

Maybe, maybe not. The Catholic Church allows for the theoretical possibility that a Protestant might go to Heaven. There are conditions that would need to be met but she believes it might be possible.

May I ask.. If I have asked Christ to be my savior.. and... been baptized.. and believe in the gospel... What is it about me that is keeping me from salvation?

However, whether or not one was Catholic in life, one will most certainly be Catholic in Heaven. Make book on that.

So, just how can you tell the difference between two people.. one being a believer in Christ and is Catholic.. and one who is a believer who is not?

What is this characteristic that deems one to be or not be Catholic?

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me.. am I not allowed to post here? I'm serious.
Asking questions is fine. But teaching against Catholicism (as you did in your other post) is a no-no. Just as I couldn't go to, for example, the Baptist section and teach against whatever they believe in, others can't come here and teach against what we believe.

May I ask.. If I have asked Christ to be my savior.. and... been baptized.. and believe in the gospel... What is it about me that is keeping me from salvation?
Those are wonderful things. But if you're not a member of the Catholic Church, you may not go to Heaven when your time comes. The Catholic Church alone possesses the fullness of truth. There are other ecclesial communities out there but there is only one Church. And that is the Catholic Church.

So, just how can you tell the difference between two people.. one being a believer in Christ and is Catholic.. and one who is a believer who is not?
Ultimately, God will judge.

What is this characteristic that deems one to be or not be Catholic?
Are you in communion with the Pope? If the answer is no then, with respect, you are not Catholic.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Those are wonderful things. But if you're not a member of the Catholic Church, you may not go to Heaven when your time comes. The Catholic Church alone possesses the fullness of truth. There are other ecclesial communities out there but there is only one Church. And that is the Catholic Church.
Just to clarify.

If you're not a member of the Catholic Church, you may or may not go to Heaven when your time comes. That's up to God to judge.

And for the record, one who knows the truth of the Catholic faith that scorns the Catholic Church just isn't going to be saved no matter what they think God owes them.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Asking questions is fine. But teaching against Catholicism (as you did in your other post) is a no-no. Just as I couldn't go to, for example, the Baptist section and teach against whatever they believe in, others can't come here and teach against what we believe.

Sorry. my bad... learn something every day.

So, how do you tell the difference between two people.. both believe in Christ as savior, been baptized and believe the gospel... What is the character trait that distinguishes between them?

Ultimately, God will judge.
Can you show me scripture where it tells us that we have to join a church? Any church.. but more specifically a church that is Catholic?

Are you in communion with the Pope? If the answer is no then, with respect, you are not Catholic.

What does that mean? "In communion with the Pope"?

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So, how do you tell the difference between two people.. both believe in Christ as savior, been baptized and believe the gospel... What is the character trait that distinguishes between them?
Again, God will judge. There is no visible sign that would allow you to distinguish a Catholic from a Protestant.

Can you show me scripture where it tells us that we have to join a church? Any church.. but more specifically a church that is Catholic?
I don't believe in "sola scriptura" so whether or not such a scripture exists is of little concern to me.

However, Our Lord prayed for unity among His followers. Because he came to establish a Church, not a book. The Church which He established was led by bishops. The bishops of the Catholic Church today can trace their succession in an unbroken line straight back to Our Lord's ministry. The authority to lead the Church which Our Lord gave to the apostles is the same authority Catholic bishops today wield to lead the Church right now.

What does that mean? "In communion with the Pope"?
In brief, it means accepting his authority, the Catholic Church's teachings and becoming a member of the Church.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I hear people state that Christ started a church and it was the Catholic Church.
Yup. Fact.
I say that Christ told us to go into all the world and preach the gospel.. Or go into all the world and make disciples.
That is the MISSION of the Catholic Church started by Jesus Christ.
I don't see where it matters if I go to any of the protestant churches or a RCC church or a United or Anglican church..
How is the cacophony of disagreements among Protestants of no matter? Is that mess something willed by Jesus Christ? I think it matters a great deal that we belong to the Church Jesus Christ founded.
I believe Christ was clear.. "Believe on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved".
Part of it. At least the beginning of salvation. But look at the interaction between Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch for more of the story.
I don't believe that baptism is going to be a technical difficulty when you face Christ on your death.

I believe it is important but I cannot see Christ refusing eternal life if someone firmly believed in Him, His work on the cross, repented of their sins, lived every day shining for Christ.. but hadn't got baptized.
Why NOT get baptized? It's rather normal to believe and repent and then get baptized. It's decidedly abnormal not to. Maybe for some exceptional special case, like an allergy to water, but not for someone who just decides to skip baptism. Jesus gave the Church the job to make disciples and baptize. If you don't want to be baptized that's your business. But baptism is Biblical. You too can be baptized.
So, as a result, I personally believe that there is one church.. It is all those that believe the gospel and have faith in Christ their savior. More clearly.. the church is all of those who have eternal life through Christ ( which is the only way ).
You are right. There is only one Church. And one normally enters by baptism, being born again. Faith in Christ and believing the gospel - sure. Those bring people to baptism, and that is how you become a member of that one Church.
There may be RCC people, Anglican people, Pentecostal people, Baptist people, Evangelical people, and even people who have read the word of God and came to repent and ask for salvation .. that don't even know what a Catholic or Protestant is..... All are part of the one church.
When they learn of the existence and truth of the Catholic faith they need to join the Catholic Church. Maybe they only learned lies about the Catholic faith, which to a degree excuses them.
So, ya... I disagree with this guy.
Apparently so. But he's right.
It leaves me to ask...

Are you saying that I, as a believer in Christ, who has been baptized, is not saved because I'm not a Catholic?
Maybe not. Or maybe. It depends.

Do you hate us? Can you love God and hate your fellow Christians?

Do you love truth? Are you being lead by the Holy Spirit towards the Catholic faith? Or have you shut off any interest in becoming Catholic?

I don't get to decide if you are saved or not. That's between you and God. But for myself I'd rather not try it outside of the Catholic faith.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Over the years, I had considered joining the Catholic church. I am a confirmed member of the Church of England, but theologically find myself more on the Catholic spectrum. Some people would argue that it would make sense for me to convert to Catholicism.

However it is not quite as simple as that. The church denomination I belong to has been part of my life for as long as I can remember. Over the years the church has been a real family to me. We have learned, prayed, laughed and cried together. They have taught me valuable lessons in childhood that I have brought with me all the way into adulthood and have had a influence on the person I am today. I have strayed from the church a number of times but whenever I came back I always felt as if I had returned home. There is the feeling of belonging and sharing a common heritage - the hymns and songs, the liturgy, the prayers and the various traditions that had become so familiar to us. To leave all that all behind and move to another church would be like telling all those faithful Christian men and women who loved and supported me over the years that they are not needed anymore. It is like erasing a large chunk out of my life and pretending it never existed.

I love Catholics - their way of life, their worship and the traditions they have preserved over the years, and as I stated earlier, there are many things theologically I share in common. But I am also aware of where I came from, where I am now, and that God has been very much a part of that journey.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Again, God will judge. There is no visible sign that would allow you to distinguish a Catholic from a Protestant.

So, how would I know, myself, if I'm a Catholic or not?

Does it depend on what my parents are?

I don't believe in "sola scriptura" so whether or not such a scripture exists is of little concern to me.

Well is there someone reading this thread that can show me some scripture that indicates that Christ or some apostle states, in the canon, that one must join a church, any church will do but the Catholic church specifically?

However, Our Lord prayed for unity among His followers. Because he came to establish a Church, not a book.
Sorry, I know you don't believe scripture to be solid.. however, is there anyone reading this thread that can show me scripture from the Canon, that indicates that Christ came to establish a church?

It was always my understanding that He came to "fulfill the law", "die for the sins of all the world", "seek and save that which was lost", "not to judge but to save", " so that there may be life and people can have life abundantly", "to render him powerless who had the power of death"..

But nowhere do I see "to establish a church".

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I know you don't believe scripture to be solid
Normally, that post would be reported to the mods. But you happen to write this while I'm in a transitional period. So I don't want to report you. But I don't really care to play games with you either.

So let me just say, don't put words in my mouth like that again. Ever.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Normally, that post would be reported to the mods. But you happen to write this while I'm in a transitional period. So I don't want to report you. But I don't really care to play games with you either.

So let me just say, don't put words in my mouth like that again. Ever.
Sorry.. I was relating to you saying that you don't hold to sola scriptura..

I'm not playing games..

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
So, how would I know, myself, if I'm a Catholic or not?

Does it depend on what my parents are?
It doesn't depend on who your parents are. My wife's parents were Reformed and Atheist and my wife is Catholic.

You can tell if you are Catholic if all of these are true:
You attend mass at a Catholic Church at least on the weekend if you are physically able.
You go to confession at least once a year.
You recognize the authority of your pope and your bishop.
You have been baptized.
You believe the contents of the Nicene Creed.
Well is there someone reading this thread that can show me some scripture that indicates that Christ or some apostle states, in the canon, that one must join a church, any church will do but the Catholic church specifically?
You don't have to join the Church. It is optional. But there is no salvation outside of the Church. Salvation is also optional. You might read the New Testament again and circle every instance of the word 'church' and see where that leads you.
Sorry, I know you don't believe scripture to be solid.. however, is there anyone reading this thread that can show me scripture from the Canon, that indicates that Christ came to establish a church?
Scripture is solid. It's just that not everything is in Scripture. That would be the heresy of Sola Scriptura', that Scripture ALONE is the only guide. The Ethiopian eunuch knew better when he asked Philip to explain the Scriptures to him.
It was always my understanding that He came to "fulfill the law", "die for the sins of all the world", "seek and save that which was lost", "not to judge but to save", " so that there may be life and people can have life abundantly", "to render him powerless who had the power of death"..

But nowhere do I see "to establish a church".
Keep reading the Bible and some day it might pop out at you. It's there.

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't depend on who your parents are. My wife's parents were Reformed and Atheist and my wife is Catholic.
OK...How do you "become" Catholic?

You can tell if you are Catholic if all of these are true:
You attend mass at a Catholic Church at least on the weekend if you are physically able.
You go to confession at least once a year.
You recognize the authority of your pope and your bishop.

Are these things stipulated in the Canon? Or, are they implemented or requested by someone?

You have been baptized.
You believe the contents of the Nicene Creed.

I believe the Nicene Creed except for the "We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church."

You don't have to join the Church.
OK

It is optional. But there is no salvation outside of the Church.

Is there scripture to support this?

Scripture is solid. It's just that not everything is in Scripture. That would be the heresy of Sola Scriptura', that Scripture ALONE is the only guide. The Ethiopian eunuch knew better when he asked Philip to explain the Scriptures to him.

Thanks for that... Does this mean that texts like "The Book of Enoch", The Book of Jubilee and The Book of Jasher can be used as references?

Or, what else is considered to be at par with the Canonized Scripture?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
OK...How do you "become" Catholic?
You agree to the Nicene Creed before a representative of the Church, for starters.
I believe the Nicene Creed except for the "We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church."
When you figure that part out you can become Catholic. Or at least you are well on your way.
Thanks for that... Does this mean that texts like "The Book of Enoch", The Book of Jubilee and The Book of Jasher can be used as references?
They aren't Scripture, so no.
Or, what else is considered to be at par with the Canonized Scripture?
Nothing. But canonized Scripture alone is inadequate. For example, before the Gospels were written the apostolic teaching was adequate ... and it still is. And there is much of what Jesus taught that didn't fit into the Gospels. Which is why you come up incomplete when going Bible alone. For example, the NT has only the simplest outline of the liturgy. But the apostles had liturgy from Pentecost onward. One needs Bible and Tradition and a live teaching authority as found in the bishops. If you get rid of any one of those three you have an incomplete witness to the truth of Jesus Christ. Catholics have that. So it's Bible but not Bible alone.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You agree to the Nicene Creed before a representative of the Church, for starters.

When you figure that part out you can become Catholic. Or at least you are well on your way.

They aren't Scripture, so no.

Nothing. But canonized Scripture alone is inadequate. For example, before the Gospels were written the apostolic teaching was adequate ... and it still is. And there is much of what Jesus taught that didn't fit into the Gospels. Which is why you come up incomplete when going Bible alone. For example, the NT has only the simplest outline of the liturgy. But the apostles had liturgy from Pentecost onward. One needs Bible and Tradition and a live teaching authority as found in the bishops. If you get rid of any one of those three you have an incomplete witness to the truth of Jesus Christ. Catholics have that. So it's Bible but not Bible alone.
Thanks so much for being open about what it means to be Catholic and how to know if you are or what it takes to become one.

Don't think I'm allowed to say anything else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Thanks so much for being open about what it means to be Catholic and how to know if you are or what it takes to become one.

Don't think I'm allowed to say anything else.
Well, come back when you can affirm the whole Nicene Creed.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Well, come back when you can affirm the whole Nicene Creed.
Sorry. Due to my understanding of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit along with the Canonized scripture, I cannot hold to that view. I cannot go into any depth other than that.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry. Due to my understanding of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit along with the Canonized scripture, I cannot hold to that view. I cannot go into any depth other than that.
Okay. So you made that clear. No use repeating it over and over. Maybe one day you’ll delve deeper to help you understand. God bless you.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Okay. So you made that clear. No use repeating it over and over. Maybe one day you’ll delve deeper to help you understand. God bless you.
I feel that I understand already.

Thanks for being so amiable in your response.

Upvote 0