• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Why should I be anything? And why Orthodox?

Discussion in 'St. Justin Martyr's Corner: Debate an Orthodox Chr' started by SeraphimSarov, Jun 13, 2021.

1. SeraphimSarov

SeraphimSarov Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...

+590
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    Feels more I'm getting a foretaste of the coming life regardless of what I do.

I never said I did. I said I want to. What is closer to what I believe is that He keeps taking everything that matters from me away and I'm beyond [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ed.

2. SeraphimSarov

+590
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    Well, not everything. Everyone. First my wife. Then my grandma. Then my sister. Then another close friend. Who's next? Just take ME already.

3. Lukaris

Lukaris Orthodox Christian Supporter

+1,595
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    37 years ago when I was 20 I asked God to basically dissolve & annihilate me. Over the years I have grown to understand life is more often tragic yet God has let me live. I feel I should give thanks to God, remember the commandments, give alms to charity, & pray for the salvation & daily well being of my neighbor.

I did not see the anguish you just mentioned when I originally posted before adding this.

While I have lost family & friends of course I have not been hit at the level of spouse (always single) or sibling. Still, I have seen parents in our parish who have lost their children (some in their 20s) from cancer to suicide. These people have remained strong & faithful and yes, they still grieve.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  4. Petros2015

Petros2015 Well-Known Member

+2,866
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Ah, didn't know you had experienced such loss :(
    I have yet to experience much that wasn't by my own hand, a friend and my mother to cancer, father to plane crash. But these things were spread over time, and more will inevitably come.

I could offer some different perspectives, but I think I'll just mostly sit quietly with you.

I would say this though -

God is what gave them to you
    Death is what takes things
    Christ is who died to return them (and you) to God again

My condolences for your losses

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  5. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+16,661
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    you're not getting a foretaste unless you want it according to our understanding.

and why would you want to, if you believe Christ is Who He says He is?

6. ArmyMatt

+16,661
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    prayers for you!

7. SeraphimSarov

+590
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    At this point it's hard to believe anything else exists.

Everyone I care about is gone. I don't know if I believe He is Who He says He is because frankly I don't know how a loving God is capable of this [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse].

8. SeraphimSarov

+590
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    Yeah I'm not "fixing" that because I meant what I said.

9. ArmyMatt

+16,661
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    what makes God loving?

10. SeraphimSarov

+590
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    Hell if I know. I don't even know what love is anymore. Apparently I'm "doing it wrong" if I'm this miserable.

11. Petros2015

Petros2015 Well-Known Member

+2,866
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Stop asking us and ask Him.
    "I don't even know what love is anymore."
    That's the question He's been waiting for you to ask Him.
    I feel like you are ready to get the answer you've been waiting for.
    And the answer He's been waiting to give.
    That is the Most Important Question
    Any human will ever ask God
    And not many do it
    And He's the only one who is qualified to answer

12. Light of the East

Light of the East Orthodox Inquirer Supporter

+1,911
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    You have the same problem I have. You want what the fathers and saints of Mt. Athos have warned us against - seeking signs, wonders, and miracles. I have had a long fight with this since from when. Yet you and I tend to miss the little ways in which Christ manifests Himself to us. I wrote this piece a while ago when I had a small experience of our Lord coming to me in love. It was not what I desired, but if you read the piece, you will see that it was a learning experience for me:

2nd Week Of Lent – Jesus Buys Me A Coffee

13. Lukaris

Lukaris Orthodox Christian Supporter

+1,595
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    You have lost people you love; put your hope in seeing them again.

14. ArmyMatt

+16,661
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    what makes you think you're doing wrong? you should check out St Tikhon of Zadonsk, he is the closest we have to a saint who wrote of a dark night of the soul.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. SeraphimSarov

+590
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    Any writings in particular you'd recommend?

16. ArmyMatt

+16,661
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    anything by St Tikhon as well as his life

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  17. SeraphimSarov

+590
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    I'm going to attempt to answer my own questions one by one, in case anyone is reading this.

Because if you don't, you only arrive at nihilism and absurdism, which ultimately leads to insanity.

Why learn as you go when you have two millenia's worth of wisdom found in the Church?

It's something I don't know with my brain but with my heart.

It's something I don't know with my brain but with my heart.

It is once you start practicing it. Quite the paradox.

We're not divided among ourselves about the things that matter. Which side you take in a church schism won't determine whether you get into heaven, though it certainly will lead to hell, maybe even right here on earth!

That's impossible to answer because the question presupposes false things. Over in TAW is a thread about the book Christ the Eternal Tao, which I believe talks about Taoism finding its fulfillment in Christ, and I'm pretty sure Bl. Seraphim of Platina also talked about Buddhism finding its fulfillment in Christ. Of course ancient Hebrew religion found its fulfillment in Christ, and I think I've heard it said that every religion contains nuggets of truth (some closer to the Truth than others), so it's not like we're saying other religions are wrong about everything. We have the exclusive ability to call ourselves the Church that Christ founded, though, so we do have a claim on the Truth, since Christ is the Truth.