Why should Christians care about politics?

Evan Jellicoe

Aug 2, 2016
downstate Illinois
✟22,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We know that many turned away from Jesus when they realized that he wasn’t going to lead a political rebellion against Rome. His primary concern was not earthly politics, but spiritual health.

We also find that the primary evidence that people are true followers of Christ is their love for one another. Anybody who claims to love God but does not love people does not truly love God.

Finally the evidence that the Holy Spirit truly dwells within is a person is specifically said to be “love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.” These are not the character traits that we associate with winning football games--or political debates. Yet sometimes it seems as if some Christians have jumped into the political arena instead of working to spread the message of Christ. I once heard the news that a certain acquaintance had become a Christian. Wonderful! But a while later I asked about her, and was told that it seemed she hadn't become a "Christian" so much as a conservative Republican.

So, what do you see as our Biblical justification for being active in politics?

EJ

Reactions: Jesuscentered

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Personally i leave the worldly Authorities alone.. I do not really get into politics.. I see a lot of threads in this Christian forum dealing with politics and i wonder why ?? It's ok i guess, some peope like talking politics.. But for me the focus on a Christian forum is all things to do with God..

I personally believe Christians should leave politics well enough alone..

Upvote 0

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We know that many turned away from Jesus when they realized that he wasn’t going to lead a political rebellion against Rome.
The Lord will give Jesus the throne of David (Luke 1:32) but this did not happen at his first coming. He was rejected by the people because they did not want to be ruled by God (Luke 19:14; 27). His disciples did not fight for him because his kingdom is not of this world (John 18:36). His kingdom will not be established by violent revolutionaries or by the coercive power of human government. The meek will inherit the Earth, and that is us, as we wait patiently for Jesus to establish his kingdom by his power at his glorious appearing.

Meanwhile, we are living in a world of power struggles among people - contests fought in courts and battlefields and political "campaigns" (we get that word from warfare). None of these struggles will establish the kingdom of our Lord Jesus. But in a democracy we still face choices, between different candidates and agendas, and we have every right to support what we think is good for the nation we live in.

And I think that Christians have the right to opt out of politics if they want. The Bible commands us to respect leaders and to pray for them. Beyond that, I think that the extent of political engagement is up to the individual.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
some Christians have jumped into the political arena instead of working to spread the message of Christ.
If that's how you're going to frame the question, then I agree completely with you. But if you frame it as Christians who see what's going on and are concerned about the wellbeing of their families, I think you get a different result.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

EJ

We ought to be active if for no other reason than to see that our right to BE Christian and worship as Christians is upheld. Quite a few voters would love to revoke that right (along with most of the rest of the Constitution).

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel that it is my Christian duty to stand up for the poor, the persecuted and the oppressed. The anti-slavery movement was dominated by Christian abolitionists. I think it's important to be informed and vote if we want to halt the spread of evil in the world.

Upvote 0

AmusingMargaret

Instigator
Dec 26, 2016
Southeastern US
Visit site
✟39,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We ought to be active if for no other reason than to see that our right to BE Christian and worship as Christians is upheld. Quite a few voters would love to revoke that right (along with most of the rest of the Constitution).

A person who is willing to stand by and watch evil continue to infiltrate our land and not be involved should go and talk to a pastor of an underground church in Syria, Sudan, North Korea, Iran, Iraq…just to name a few of the countries where Christians suffer extreme persecution. Knowing there is such persecution is faced by our brothers and sisters in Christ, to not be involved is shameful.

• Agree
Reactions: tulc
Upvote 0

AmusingMargaret

Instigator
Dec 26, 2016
Southeastern US
Visit site
✟39,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Romans 13 tells us that the authorities that exist are appointed by God…if we are willing to serve, surely He is willing to appoint us.

As a Christian, I want Christians in leadership roles in our country! If they are not, how long will it be before no one is in a position to protect our religious freedom? Christians should be encouraged and supported in politics.

However, Christians should not be involved in politics if all they are doing is arguing, complaining, and insulting the President.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that Christians should leave politics alone and join together to pray for those in office. I see it all the time, Christians get tied to one party and then they refuse to pray for officials of other parties. I was part of a church that nearly split because of a political divide. Really unfortunate and speaks of the dangers involved with politics. Our kingdom is not of this world and we should not live with this life in mind

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree that Christians should leave politics alone and join together to pray for those in office. I see it all the time, Christians get tied to one party and then they refuse to pray for officials of other parties. I was part of a church that nearly split because of a political divide. Really unfortunate and speaks of the dangers involved with politics. Our kingdom is not of this world and we should not live with this life in mind
I agree with the praying part, but it's not as though the two parties are equal when it comes to protecting religious freedom, the right to life of the unborn, and all the rights that the rest of us are entitled to but which are under attack at present.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,015.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We know that many turned away from Jesus when they realized that he wasn’t going to lead a political rebellion against Rome. His primary concern was not earthly politics, but spiritual health.

We also find that the primary evidence that people are true followers of Christ is their love for one another. Anybody who claims to love God but does not love people does not truly love God.

Finally the evidence that the Holy Spirit truly dwells within is a person is specifically said to be “love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.” These are not the character traits that we associate with winning football games--or political debates. Yet sometimes it seems as if some Christians have jumped into the political arena instead of working to spread the message of Christ. I once heard the news that a certain acquaintance had become a Christian. Wonderful! But a while later I asked about her, and was told that it seemed she hadn't become a "Christian" so much as a conservative Republican.

EJ
Based on what we see, IMHO, it is all but impossible for a person to be a good Christian and be involved in politics above the local level. The elbows that one has to rub are usually very dirty ones.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Romans 13:1-7 seems to justify political involvement. I’ve noticed that when Christians, locally or around the world, who have opted out of political affairs all-together and become oppressed and persecuted because of letting evil grow, have no problem then calling on a strong nation for assistance or for its young women and men to lay their lives down to help them.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,328.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the praying part, but it's not as though the two parties are equal when it comes to protecting religious freedom, the right to life of the unborn, and all the rights that the rest of us are entitled to but which are under attack at present.

I understand that and you know much more than I do about these things, I just believe that God can do what I cannot. I do not know how wise it is for beievers to note vote, probably not very wise at all to avoid the polls. I think that voting and being involved in politics are two different things. Voting I think is ok, even caring about the issues, but real involvement where people become vested into a political party and ideology I think crosses the line.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟893,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

EJ
For one thing the way I look at it if one chooses not to vote and COULD have done so that is they were of age at the time, a citizen, were not incarcerated or otherwise kept from voting due to a history of certain behavior he or she has NO right to complain about whomever voters put in office. Moreover, to a certain extent being involved in politics is a way to influence policies and laws that you feel Christ would want.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟893,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Since politics involves making decisions which impact our lives—either for good or for bad, we should be interested to some degree.
thank you. Whether we like it or not while we are in this world we are affected for good or for bad by the policies and politics of the world.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I understand that and you know much more than I do about these things, I just believe that God can do what I cannot. I do not know how wise it is for beievers to note vote, probably not very wise at all to avoid the polls. I think that voting and being involved in politics are two different things. Voting I think is ok, even caring about the issues, but real involvement where people become vested into a political party and ideology I think crosses the line.
I suppose it is fair to say that politics is a dirty business, although I know people who have worked for one party or another for years--or for some pressure group--and apparently not been corrupted themselves. Disappointed, yes, but not co-opted. So it may depend upon the person himself as to which of the courses of action we have mentioned here would be the most beneficial. I just hate to think that all of them would be considered, automatically, as something no good Christian would consider.

Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟893,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Remember, though that while we are in this world we are GOING to be affected by the worldly politics ( after all, we ARE told to respect the leaders), so while it is sad that Christians would literally split over such issues we cannot reasonably expect to leave politics alone because we WILL be affected by them and those who choose to remain silent have no right to complain about choices made for them by others.

Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟893,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
For one thing the way I look at it if one chooses not to vote and COULD have done so that is they were of age at the time, a citizen, were not incarcerated or otherwise kept from voting due to a history of certain behavior he or she has NO right to complain about whomever voters put in office. Moreover, to a certain extent being involved in politics is a way to influence policies and laws that you feel Christ would want.
So basically you ( from what I understand are talking about voting for a party simply because they are that party. In other words people who will vote for a particular party come heck or high water just because they have a certain letter beside their name whether than voting based on issues.

Upvote 0