Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Do you watch the news? If so then you should know that Trump has appealed the PA decision. But if his lawyers continue to present no evidence he isn’t going to get anyplace.
I don't think you can present new evidence before the Supreme Court. They'd have to argue that the judge in the original case, based on the evidence he had seen, made a mistake. Or that he had failed to let them present evidence, in which case I think they'd have to send the case back to the original judge and order him to listen to the evidence.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think you can present new evidence before the Supreme Court. They'd have to argue that the judge in the original case, based on the evidence he had seen, made a mistake. Or that he had failed to let them present evidence, in which case I think they'd have to send the case back to the original judge and order him to listen to the evidence.
Correct. The Supreme Court can also simply refuse to hear an appeal from the Court of Appeals. In addition, there is no requirement that the Court of Appeals rush the case. Trump is running out of time. Pennsylvania will certify its votes on Monday.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that was expected. Probably the United States Supreme Court will decide all this.
Or not. Remember the US Supreme Court does not have to hear an appeal.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Yes. But I think they will. Could be wrong but I believe they'll consider it's just too big a thing for them to set aside.
Actually, the Supreme Court does its best to avoid political questions. E.g. that's how it justified the failure to deal with gerrymandering. Their purpose is to deal with constitutional questions. Remember, you can't even present evidence to them, because they're not reviewing evidence. They're reviewing whether courts interpreted the law properly, and whether the law is constitutional. There are no constitutional questions here. There are questions of fact: whether substantial fraud or misbehavior occurred. Their decisions so far have in fact been telling courts to stay out of it, even when they are dealing with disenfranchisement of voters. It is very unlikely that they will intervene, unless they are overtly partisan. I'm still hoping that they are not.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,055.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Actually, the Supreme Court does its best to avoid political questions. E.g. that's how it justified the failure to deal with gerrymandering. Their purpose is to deal with constitutional questions. Remember, you can't even present evidence to them, because they're not reviewing evidence. They're reviewing whether courts interpreted the law properly, and whether the law is constitutional. There are no constitutional questions here. There are questions of fact: whether substantial fraud or misbehavior occurred. Their decisions so far have in fact been telling courts to stay out of it, even when they are dealing with disenfranchisement of voters. It is very unlikely that they will intervene, unless they are overtly partisan. I'm still hoping that they are not.
Well Hedrick we'll see what happens.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Pretty much, yes. The entire function of an appellate court is to argue that a lower court made an error in the law.

If Team Donald had presented actual evidence, and a judge wrongly ruled it inadmissible, then he's have a legitimate case. That didn't happen here.

It seems that Donald is banking on SCOTUS ignoring both the facts and the law and handing him the presidency based on little more than political ideology or personal gratitude... after all, 6 justices are conservatives, and 3 of them were appointed by Donald himself.

This, by itself, would be laughable... except for the disturbing number of Donald's supporters who apparently would be perfectly content with this outcome... Facts, the Law, even the Constitution mean nothing to these people... only glory to Donald in the highest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I won't claim I understand the answer to that.

You don't understand what you think? The question asked for your opinion.

Surely you have an opinion...

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What's it called again when someone does the same thing over and over and over hoping for a different result?

According to Aristotle it's the definition of madness. According to Jesus Christ (Luke 18:1-8) it's the definition of faith. Mind you there's a difference between faith and presumption. God Bless You :)

• Agree
Reactions: Joan Lamb
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What, exactly, do you think the Supreme Court is going to do?

If a court were to overturn the apparent result of an election would it not just lead to more difficulties rather than solving them?

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,055.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If a court were to overturn the apparent result of an election would it not just lead to more difficulties rather than solving them?
This makes excuses for something to be allowed to continue that is wrong.

Would it cause problems? Yes. But here's what people of integrity do. (and I'm not suggesting you aren't such one)

With every problem there is a solution and for every solution there is a problem. You don't stop bringing about a right solution if it's right and just there should be one. I would suggest we stop being civilized if we're afraid of the next problem. You do what's right for it is just that....RIGHT.

• Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This makes excuses for something to be allowed to continue that is wrong.
Are you saying that counting all legal ballots is wrong and that democracy is wrong and should not be allowed to continue?

Upvote 0