• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Why recreational marijuana is never morally justified (but alcohol is)

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+32,212
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Is it intrinsically immoral to smoke, or in some other way ingest, what some call 'the demon weed'? The question is fraught.

July 1, 2020 (LifeSiteNews) — It’s coming up on two years since marijuana was legalized in Canada. On October 17 of 2018, Justin Trudeau made good on one of his many bad election promises, making Canada at the time only the second sovereign nation to let loose the reins of law on the notorious drug (the other being Uruguay, with other nations taking a more incremental approach). Nine of the United States have also approved recreational use: Colorado and the entire western seaboard, Washington, Oregon, California, along with Nevada, then, on the east, Vermont, Maine, and Massachusetts (funny how they all voted Democrat in the last election), with 21 others approving use medicinally. Federally, marijuana is still illegal across the United States, creating quite the tension, making our friendly border perhaps a bit less friendly.

It's now hitting close to home, as in the small town where I happen to dwell, they are putting in a fancy pot store a few doors down from my own house, and another in the even smaller town ten miles down the highway.

October 17 is the memorial of Saint Ignatius of Antioch, who, as far as I know, had no connection to the green weed; on the contrary, the early bishop and martyr comes across as rather abstinent. He wrote in his famous seven letters on his way to be torn apart by lions for his faith that his deepest desire was to “be ground like wheat for Christ.” Overall, the plant was unknown to the Romans and Greeks, being indigenous to central and south Asia from earliest recorded history. It is not mentioned in the Bible, although the ancient Assyrians, who are mentioned, and who gave much trouble to the Israelites, are recorded as dabbling in the mind-altering substance.

Continued below.
    Why recreational marijuana is never morally justified (but alcohol is)

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Franki(ncense)

Franki(ncense) Relax! Oluwa's running the show... Supporter

+769
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    Weed is just bad

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  3. Aspzan

Aspzan Well-Known Member Supporter

+666
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    I can't post my views about alcohol here as far as I know. On marijuana I do not agree with recreational use. Possibly, medical use is ok but I don't know much about it.

My own experience with smoking weed lead to psychosis. To my shame I actually used to smoke it every day. Two years in I developed psychosis, something which has taken years to recover from. There are multiple factors for developing psychosis but a very common factor is smoking weed. It's not worth the risk. If I didn't have family support I don't even know how things would have turned out.

4. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+11,902
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    When they tried to put one in our small town the residents got together and objected at town hall meetings. Consequently, there is no pot shop in our town.

5. Chrystal-J

Chrystal-J the one who stands firm to the end will be saved Supporter

+3,647
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Others
    Using it just to get high is wrong in my opinion, as well as drinking to get drunk.

6. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother? Supporter

+7,281
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    You can drink wine with your steak dinner. It might enhance the dining experience. The purpose is to enjoy the evening; not necessarily get drunk.

You smoke week to get high. Simple as that. Intoxication is the whole point.

I'm not here to talk about medicine. But at least for recreation, don't smoke weed. Ever.