Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Or on the other hand, if you're in a relationship where every time you meet with your boyfriend/ girlfriend they ignore you and just sit on their smart phone checking sports scores..........

Sure, but having interests such as sports and just having good fun in life isn't putting God on ignore. Relationships involve appropriate and respected time of attention and this attention does not need to overly consume someones life. Claiming a God who is going to get upset and offended by you just enjoying life at times is a description of someone who is obsessive compulsive, not a loving God.

• Agree
Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's an excellent point and one I believe the church has been slow to pick up on. Competitive sports, based on factions striving against each other, trying to beat and humiliate the other team would be more like the fruits of the sin nature from Galatians 5 rather than the fruits of the Spirit. I've been in church meetings where the folks want to speak more about sports than Spiritual matters.

Do they not know these are the last days? Do they not know that millions of people out there are heading for a lost eternity? Do they have no anguish over the fate of the lost? Do they not know that many Christians are suffering too and in need of fellowship and pastoral care? All 'Christians' seem to care about is overpaid people hitting balls about a field.

God Bless :)

Everyone has their own personal experiences, of course, but this is not something I'm witnessing in the church at all. If you're attending a church that talks more about sports than God, and the people are trying to actively humiliate each other, maybe find a new church?

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I enjoy competition greatly. God gives us gifts and talents and skills, after all. If someone is brilliantly talented at playing baseball, and they enjoy it, and they aren't trying to "humiliate" anyone by being excellent at something, then there's nothing wrong with it and they shouldn't feel ashamed of anything. How about recognizing the difference between "a good sport" and "a bad sport"? Plenty of people can engage in healthy competition without any malice, and whether they win or lose, there's no sin being committed. Let them enjoy it.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,456.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everyone has their own personal experiences, of course, but this is not something I'm witnessing in the church at all. If you're attending a church that talks more about sports than God, and the people are trying to actively humiliate each other, maybe find a new church?

It was a previous pentecostal church I was in that many people were hyper interested in Sports. I didn't mean that the people there were trying to humiliate each other rather than the ethos of Sports in general is competition, pride and humiliation and would appear on the list of the fruits of the sinful nature in Galatians chapter 5. That's why I would advise Christians to be more into Spiritual things that Sporty things. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
That's an excellent point and one I believe the church has been slow to pick up on. Competitive sports, based on factions striving against each other, trying to beat and humiliate the other team would be more like the fruits of the sin nature from Galatians 5 rather than the fruits of the Spirit. I've been in church meetings where the folks want to speak more about sports than Spiritual matters.

Do they not know these are the last days? Do they not know that millions of people out there are heading for a lost eternity? Do they have no anguish over the fate of the lost? Do they not know that many Christians are suffering too and in need of fellowship and pastoral care? All 'Christians' seem to care about is overpaid people hitting balls about a field.

God Bless :)

I agree. All competitive sports is about strife and contention. The brothers and sister went about saving souls in the book of Acts. They were working for God like Christ would be back in their time. We have all fallen asleep at one time but the signs of the times are telling us Jesus is even at the door.

Thank you for you post. Peace and blessings.

• Agree
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,456.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sure, but having interests such as sports and just having good fun in life isn't putting God on ignore. Relationships involve appropriate and respected time of attention and this attention does not need to overly consume someones life. Claiming a God who is going to get upset and offended by you just enjoying life at times is a description of someone who is obsessive compulsive, not a loving God.

For some people perhaps yes, for others perhaps no. I've had to counsel family members who's loved one got into an obsession with sports and then into a serious sports gambling addiction. One ended up in court on embezzlement charges. Sports- doorway to danger.

Upvote 0

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Demanding attention that insanely isn't love because deserving is different from absolute obsession. obsession isn't love but ego.

1 John 4:19
[19]We love him, because he first loved us.

This is my favorite verse. He wants our attention but he won't beg us for it. I really really really want to be attentive to what he is teaching me. I want to love him with all my heart, soul, and mind. He saved me from my multitude of sins so why would i want to give him less then all of my attention?

I used to be obsessed with worldly things. Now Jesus has replaced his desires and will with those earthly things.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It was a previous pentecostal church I was in that many people were hyper interested in Sports. I didn't mean that the people there were trying to humiliate each other rather than the ethos of Sports in general is competition, pride and humiliation and would appear on the list of the fruits of the sinful nature in Galatians chapter 5. That's why I would advise Christians to be more into Spiritual things that Sporty things. God Bless :)

I don't agree that the "ethos of sports is...humiliation". Not at all. That's why we have the ethics of "good sportsmanship". Good athletes support each other, pick each other up, shake hands after competing, etc. There's nothing ungodly about sports.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree. All competitive sports is about strife and contention.

This seems like an incredibly melodramatic statement.

Many, many people can play sports together and simply have FUN with it. Even if one person or team is trying to "win", it's all done in FUN. And at the end, everyone is laughing and hugging and going out for a burger.

I seriously wonder what kind of 'sports' some of you are witnessing among Christians.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For some people perhaps yes, for others perhaps no. I've had to counsel family members who's loved one got into an obsession with sports and then into a serious sports gambling addiction. One ended up in court on embezzlement charges. Sports- doorway to danger.

By that logic, ANY hobby is a "doorway to danger", because any hobby can become an obsession.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟75,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Talking about sports and fans?

Angels cheer and are avid fans of watching souls being won!

And, are avid cheering angelic fans watching those few believers who choose to push on to maturity in grace and truth! Who fight the good fight... and knock out the false that stands in their way by means of rightly handling the Word of God.

“…since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses,
let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily
entangles.
And let us run with perseverance the race marked out
for us, fixing our
eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith”.

Many among us are false teachers. Not only a few.

For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine.
Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great
number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
2 Tm 4:3​

Part of the intense suffering a genuinely maturing believer must endure, and to resist being discouraged, is witnessing to all those who do not really want to grow in understanding God's Word. And, would rather seek out teachers to tell them that they are wise according to their own natural ways of seeing Christ, while abusing the Word of God to do so.

Again! Many - not a few - will not bee seeking the Word of God as God desires us to. Some would rather boast of the historical significance of their church that has long died spiritually. Or boast about what great emotional experiences they have in their churches... Or, how somber and serious they are while accomplishing almost nothing towards a greater understanding of God's Word. But it makes them feel right in their own skin.

Note! Jesus said that "many".. not a "few" will be amongst the believers on earth while claiming to be God's way for the believer.

Note how the word "many" appears...

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of
heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your
name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many
miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me,
you evildoers!
’ Mt 7:21-23
"Deep State" has been in the church for a long time! They are many. And, greatly varied in their approaches that are designed to attract believers of a specific demeanor together.

For the time will come when people will not put up with sound
doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around
them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want
to hear.
2 Tm 4:3
And... here we are folks!

If Jesus were on earth today there would be no debate forums over doctrines and beliefs. Only by grace - the power and leading - of the Holy Spirit will a few find what our generation needs to know to have peace in spite of how everything is evil around us.

“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small
is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

“Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing,
but inwardly they are ferocious wolves."
Mt 7:13-15 (sounds like Joe Biden)​

Note how immediately after Jesus warned believers of how many will be deceived.. He warns of the false teachers as the bait for the"many" will find appealing. For these believers will not be willing to endure sound doctrinal teaching. Doctrinal teachings that takes time and sacrifice to be doing its work in us, so God will be able enter us into finding the life more abundantly while here on earth. Few find it.

For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around
them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears
want to hear.
2 Tm 4:3​

So it is. The Church has its deep state .....

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,456.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
By that logic, ANY hobby is a "doorway to danger", because any hobby can become an obsession.

Well, as I said, it was an interest in sports that was the first step towards landing this gentleman in difficulty. I have yet to see anyone in court because of an interest in flower arranging or playing the lute! :)

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
1 John 4:19
[19]We love him, because he first loved us.

This is my favorite verse. He wants our attention but he won't beg us for it. I really really really want to be attentive to what he is teaching me. I want to love him with all my heart, soul, and mind. He saved me from my multitude of sins so why would i want to give him less then all of my attention?

I used to be obsessed with worldly things. Now Jesus has replaced his desires and will with those earthly things.

The attention is demanded with an ultimatum just based on how you've illustrated your views about him. For God to be that hostile because of people just doing sports or any form of enjoyment because he isn't being given any attention is obsessive compulsive of the highest order.

Upvote 0

bigo1984

Nov 2, 2014
✟9,268.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am going to present a few questions that are designed to get my fellow brothers and sisters to think. The majority of the followers of Christ lack a knowledge of God’s standards. Some have been led astray from the pure words of the Lord by false teachers. Some love that one particular sin and will refuse to hear anyone that calls it out. God’s standard is Jesus Christ our Lord and anything short of that should be acceptable for all of us, myself included.

Why have we as a church body adopted so many of the world's customs? Why do we celebrate the same holidays as the pagans and not the Lord’s holy days that are mentioned in the bible? Some may say that we aren't Jewish and to that I ask well are we heathens?

Why do we love competition, as in sports, game night, video games, etc? Do you not understand that the spirit behind these things is “PRIDE”? Some might say that I do it for fun but somebody will still lose.

Why do we watch tv shows that glorify the sins of the flesh such as Galatians 5:19-21 list?

Why is it hard to distinguish between a Christian and a worldly person? Instead of us converting them, they are converting us to their ways. What says the Lord:

2 Corinthians 6:14,17-18
[14]Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
[17]Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
[18]And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Why do we say we follow God but hold to the traditions of men that cannot be found in the bible?

Why do we get offended by the truth? One of the fruits of the Spirit is love right? Well love is not easily provoked (to irritated, aroused to anger) according to 1 Corinthians 13:4-5. So why take offense? Could it be that it goes straight to the heart of a cherished sin?

In these last days we need to search our hearts. We must humble ourselves in the sight of the Lord and pray that we are fit for the kingdom of heaven. We can appear to be righteous on the outside but the Lord knows what lies in our hearts. Some may get offended by these questions but that is not my intention. My intention is to raise up the standard that God has set in his holy word. We all, myself included, will have to stand in the judgment. Will you be found wanting or be welcomed with open arms by our lovely savior Christ Jesus?

Yes I feel very safe and my salvation because it is not about what I've done or haven't done, but about what Christ did

Upvote 0