Why Protestant churches dont keep the Sabbath.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do you keep a day Holy, personally?
It would all be part of the mindset of being under the law; but Hebrews 7.12 says that the law was changed and Hebrews 7.19 says that we now have is better than the law. :)

(These comments represent my own personal mindset on the matter.)

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How do you keep a day Holy, personally?
The Sabbath Day is kept holy by not working (Exodus 20:8-11) and by "not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:" (Isaiah 58:13).

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It would all be part of the mindset of being under the law; but Hebrews 7.12 says that the law was changed and Hebrews 7.19 says that we now have is better than the law. :)

(These comments represent my own personal mindset on the matter.)
The change in the law mentioned in Hebrews 7 ONLY pertains to what tribe the high priest must come from. It has nothing to do with the rest of the law.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The change in the law mentioned in Hebrews 7 ONLY pertains to what tribe the high priest must come from. It has nothing to do with the rest of the law.
verse 12 actually says: "there is made of necessity a change also of the law."

verse 19 actually says: "For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God."

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Heb 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
Heb 7:13 For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.
Heb 7:14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Judah; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.
Heb 7:15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,
Heb 7:16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.
Heb 7:17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
Heb 7:18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.
Heb 7:19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.
Heb 7:20 And inasmuch as not without an oath he was made priest:
Heb 7:21 (For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec:)

If you choose to ignore the context, then that's on you. I stand by my words in post #103.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Where are we told to keep every day holy?
Hello gadar perets.

Acts 2:42-47
They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

In the past was a holy day, in the present is a holy life.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello gadar perets.

Acts 2:42-47
They were continually devoting themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

In the past was a holy day, in the present is a holy life.
Throughout the OT the Israelites were expected to live a holy life (Exodus 22:31; Leviticus 11:44-45; 19:24; 20:26). Keeping the Sabbath holy was only one way they lived holy lives.

I'm not sure why you underlined "the breaking of bread", but that simply means they ate fellowship meals together.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As followers of Christ, ... we are DEAD to the Law ...

Romans 7

4 So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.

5 For when we were in the realm of the flesh, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death.

6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The Sabbath Day is kept holy by not working (Exodus 20:8-11) and by "not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:" (Isaiah 58:13).

So you believe that its only by your works is how you keep the Sabbath Holy?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Romans 7

4 So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.

5 For when we were in the realm of the flesh, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death.

6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.
Good, Scriptural point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Romans 7

Again you ignore the context. Consider the example Paul gave in verses 1-3;

Romans 7:1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.​

Once the woman is freed so she can marry another, is she free to commit adultery while married to the second husband? Of course not. She must still obey YHWH's commandments. Why? Because the law continues even though we died to it. We were all under its death penalty because we broke it. We broke it because we were in the flesh and the fleshly, carnal man cannot subject himself to the law (Romans 8:1-13, especially verse 7).

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.​

What changed us from being carnal to being spiritual? The indwelling Holy Spirit which we received through faith (Romans 8:9) changed us. What is the Holy Spirit trying to do in us if we let it and not fight against it?

Ezekiel 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.
All that we are and all that we receive comes through faith. What did Paul say about that faith?

Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.
We do NOT discard or abolish the law. Our faith "establishes" the law. It makes the law to "stand" according to the Greek.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So you believe that its only by your works is how you keep the Sabbath Holy?
Obviously, if I am not doing my own works on Sabbath, then I am doing YHWH's work instead. I don't just sit there like a vegetable. I'm praying, studying the Word, fellowshiping with brethren, witnessing, etc. The indwelling Holy Spirit moves me to do the work of YHWH on Sabbath just as it moved Yeshua in John 5 for example.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again you ignore the context. Consider the example Paul gave in verses 1-3;

Romans 7:1 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Once the woman is freed so she can marry another, is she free to commit adultery while married to the second husband? Of course not. She must still obey YHWH's commandments. Why? Because the law continues even though we died to it. We were all under its death penalty because we broke it. We broke it because we were in the flesh and the fleshly, carnal man cannot subject himself to the law (Romans 8:1-13, especially verse 7).

The context illustrates that we are no longer wedded to the Law, ... as we are now dead to it.

That being the case, ... we are free to wed Christ, and we strive to please our NEW husband by following His Spirit.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We do NOT discard or abolish the law. Our faith "establishes" the law. It makes the law to "stand" according to the Greek.

I don't think that anyone here takes the position that the Law is abolished.

Jesus' followers, however, are dead to it ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Obviously, if I am not doing my own works on Sabbath, then I am doing YHWH's work instead. I don't just sit there like a vegetable. I'm praying, studying the Word, fellowshiping with brethren, witnessing, etc. The indwelling Holy Spirit moves me to do the work of YHWH on Sabbath just as it moved Yeshua in John 5 for example.

What, ... in the Law, ... enjoins you to pray ... or to witness ???

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Then how do you come to the conclusion that those that do God's work on a Sunday, don't do God's work on a Saturday? Those things are not limited to a day. Those are things that we ought to do everyday.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most (American) Protestants gather together for WORSHIP on Sunday, a tradition which was begun in the post-ascension church.

Acts 20:7 "Now on the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul, ready to depart the next day, spoke to them and continued his message until midnight."
Eh - not so fast. That was NOT a "Sunday morning church service." It was a Havdalah (separation) service which starts just before sundown on Saturday evening and marks the separation of the Sabbath from the work week. It was a favorite of the early Messianic Jewish believer community.

The passage goes on to say that Paul preached until midnight; not that difficult if he started at about 7 or 8 pm. Not so much if he started at 10 am.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A_Thinker said: I don't think that anyone here takes the position that the Law is abolished.

Jesus' followers, however, are dead to it ...

faroukfarouk said: The word really is 'changed' (Hebrews 7.12).

Romans 7

4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Upvote 0