Why proper Biblical definition ("job") & use of term "DISPENSATION" is seriously consequential

kenneth558

Believer in the Invisible
Aug 1, 2003
Omaha, NE
Visit site
✟19,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The notion that God's word contain instructions, truths, and teachings that become obsolete from the passage of time and/or because some new "dispensation" has obsoleted them extrapolates doubt of nearly all God's written word. We've been wrongly taught that numerous verses are "not for today because we aren't living in that dispensation any longer". That type of thinking is nothing short of unbelief of God's word, and unbelief is always frowned on in scripture. Why that type of unbelief seems always to be tied to the improper defining of "dispensation" is strange but is so consistent that I'll show how the Bible deals with both errors.

You'll never find an example in the NT where "dispensation" (gr. oikonomia) can honestly be construed to refer to any type, shape or form of a time period, regardless of whether obsolescence of previous Biblical truth is or is not tied to it. I am of the opinion that our misunderstanding of the term came about because one of the popular theologians (maybe Scofield or Ryrie?) derived a wrong connotation from the phrase in Ephesians 1:10 "That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ" or the phrase in Ephesians 3:9 "fellowship of the mystery". It is all too easy to do if one isn't knowledgeable about the other NT occurrences of oikonomia, but I beg you to both see and think for yourself independently about this term. Ryrie (Dispensationalism :: Chapter 2. What Is a Dispensation? - Charles C. Ryrie) does a thorough job of laying out NT usage, but he still curiously is unable to "keep it simple" as he awkwardly tries to force the correlation of the term to time periods.

The simplicity that Ryrie cannot achieve in his above linked definition is spoken of by the Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 11:3: "But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ." Fellow Christian, it is a sign of intellectual dishonesty to add complexity beyond what is clearly simple!

Why is this subject important, that we continue to believe ancient truths even as new ones are revealed? For the same so obvious reason that these verses are important:

1 Corinthians 10:11: "Now all these things happened unto them for examples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come." (Notice no expiration)
Deuteronomy 29:29: "The secret things belong unto the Lord our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law." (Notice no expiration)
Psalm 119:89: "For ever, O Lord, thy word is settled in heaven." (Notice no expiration)
Nehemiah 8:17: "And all the congregation of them that were come again out of the captivity made booths, and sat under the booths: for since the days of Jeshua the son of Nun unto that day had not the children of Israel done so. And there was very great gladness." (Notice no expiration)

2 Peter 1:12: "Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth." (Notice no expiration)
2 Peter 1:15: "Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance." (Notice no expiration)
Since God knew we would be tempted to abandon His word over time, He gives us many, many more examples just like these, if you need me to list them in the future.

And finally, perhaps the most important:
Galatians 3:21: "Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law."
Why also is this subject important? Because when we misunderstand the term, we misunderstand
1 Corinthians 13:10: "But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away" (I hope you ask me about the Biblical understanding of "perfect [which] is [to] come" in context of other I & II Cor occurrences of the Greek root [telos, Strong's 5056] of that Greek word [teleios, Strong's 5046]: 1 Corinthians 1:8, 1 Corinthians 10:11, 1 Corinthians 15:24, 2 Corinthians 1:13), leading us wrongly to elevate ourselves to take action and inaction to do away with the Apostle Paul's teachings that we are supposed stay grounded in (see Colossians 1:23 et. al.) relative to:
When I first learned these things I'm showing you, I realized I needed to obey the command "covet to prophesy" (1 Corinthians 14:39). Like the rest of you, however, I did not know from the Bible what it actually means "to prophesy". Was it forthtelling? Was it foretelling? Further Bible study showed me that, as Paul wrote about that specific top gift, he had in mind Daniel's being called before king Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel 2, where prophecy is revealed to be neither forthtelling nor foretelling. Second and third witnesses to this proper understanding of that gift are in John 1:47-49 and John 4:17-19, and I hope you'll read them. Biblically understood, to prophesy is to speak secrets that have been revealed by heaven to you supernaturally, and you had no other way of knowing them.

Long enough OP. I hope you realize I've solidly supported these things by scripture, and that you'll want to hear more from me like this.

1 Peter 1:25: "But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you." (Notice no expiration)

Lord bless!

Last edited:

thomas15

Be Thou my vision
Supporter
Apr 18, 2019
Lehighton
✟57,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for one of the better defenses of dispensationalism that I have read on this forum in a long time. You have masterfully laid the groundwork to argue that there is no Biblical support for the covenants of works, grace and redemption. Not to mention you have shown a commitment to Biblical inerrancy and the proper use of the gramatical/historical hermeneutic. I cannot wait to see what you have to say about the preterists among us.

Thanks again!

Reactions: kenneth558
Upvote 0

kenneth558

Aug 1, 2003
Omaha, NE
Visit site
✟19,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for one of the better defenses of dispensationalism that I have read on this forum in a long time. You have masterfully laid the groundwork to argue that there is no Biblical support for the covenants of works, grace and redemption. Not to mention you have shown a commitment to Biblical inerrancy and the proper use of the gramatical/historical hermeneutic. I cannot wait to see what you have to say about the preterists among us.

Thanks again!
"...defenses of dispensationalism..." This phrase makes me wonder if we are on the same page or if you are being cynical. Surely you don't mean that you understand me to be defending dispensationalism, do you? Of course, I don't have a lot of faith in my communication skills, so I'm left wondering if my OP makes no sense.

Nonetheless, I'll assume you are being honest and comprehending what I mean, and you simply meant to use some other term than "defenses", so a big Thank You!

I don't know a preterist from a non-preterist, BTW. I only know straight Bible. Now, since you've opened the way for me to elaborate on anything I want to about my OP, I think it profitable to choose one of the several topics I too lightly supported. Let me make it the topic of "that which is perfect" of I Cor 13:10...

If you do a little NT study of the occurrences of the Greek term teleios that Paul says will make obsolete "that which is in part", you'll see that Paul has that in mind throughout his first epistle to the Corinthians. Include the root of that term also: telos. I was brought up to believe "that which is perfect" means canonized scriptures, a meaning without a second witness - a meaning never, ever even implied whatsoever anywhere else in scripture. Many people think that Rev 22:18-19 finalizes the delivery to earth of God's written word or maybe even of God's verbal word. I copy them into here:

"For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."​

That prohibition against man adding to God's words is first seen near the very beginning of scriptures (Deuteronomy 4:2 & Deuteronomy 12:32) and then again in Proverbs 30:6, so how can anyone in their right mind see its fourth appearance in Rev 22 as marking the forever final concluding of revelation from heaven to earth?

Instead, an honest look at Paul's related uses of teleios and telos to the Corinthians where he is referring to a coming event shows us these occurrences: 1 Corinthians 1:8, 1 Corinthians 10:11, 1 Corinthians 15:24, and 2 Corinthians 1:13. In reading these references, you'll prove to yourself that I Cor 13:10 is not fulfilled yet - God has not yet repented of giving us the gifts. They are still "without repentance" (Romans 11:29). (Notice no expiration that would otherwise accompany a "dispensation=time period" misunderstanding)

I could go on with other scripture verse witnesses, but this post is long enough. Lord bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thomas15

Be Thou my vision
Supporter
Apr 18, 2019
Lehighton
✟57,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was going to put your name in for a tuition free seminary ride but I in all honesty you know more about the Bible and dispensationalism than the professors!

My advice would be for you to stop giving it away for nothing, rather put your teachings in manuscript form. I'm certain that Zondervan or Baker Academic would be thrilled to publish your work!

Take care and your welcome!

Reactions: kenneth558
Upvote 0

kenneth558

Aug 1, 2003
Omaha, NE
Visit site
✟19,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was going to put your name in for a tuition free seminary ride but I in all honesty you know more about the Bible and dispensationalism than the professors!

My advice would be for you to stop giving it away for nothing, rather put your teachings in manuscript form. I'm certain that Zondervan or Baker Academic would be thrilled to publish your work!

Take care and your welcome!
"Go...tell John....to the poor the gospel is preached" says why I hesitate to charge anything. But I did write a booklet about 13 years ago: Obedient in All Things - A Nehemiah Eight View of First Corinthians. Free e-book download. Please don't expect much inside that booklet in the way of writing skills. And some of what I posted here might not be in there.

thomas15, are you really Baptist like your profile indicates? Baptists normally do not care for my independent study and thinking. Baptist was like the second denomination that my parents raised me in, Grace Gospel being the first. Many theologians used to call Grace Gospel "hyper-dispensational" when I was very young. I suspect my familiarity with it helped me see the logical end of the error I'm trying to expose here.

Thank you, thomas15.

So let me take this opportunity also to expound on something else I mention in the OP.

It is this verse more than any other that I think is the reason many theologians to confuse "dispensation" with a time period:

BUT...notice the "job" description is right there - God assigns to Christ to "...gather in one all things..." As we all know, Colossians parallels Ephesians, so the same dispensation ("job") is found in Colossians 1:20:

"And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven."
The other verse that might be a reason for missing the understanding of "dispensation" as a job:

Several other times in KJV where the word "fellowship" is used, it refers to working together on the job of helping one another in the Christian walk. However, the Greek word for "fellowship" is absent in this verse. Instead oikonomia ("dispensation") is translated into "fellowship" in KJV. The Berean Study Bible renders the verse this way:

"and to illuminate for everyone the stewardship of this mystery, which for ages past was hidden in God, who created all things"
Both these examples shout to us to maintain the simplicity in the definition of "dispensation". It is simply a job; i.e., a commission, even though the second example states it in a way we aren't used to.

Lord bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kenneth558

Aug 1, 2003
Omaha, NE
Visit site
✟19,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well then, here is THE lecture I would to deliver to ANYONE: Ps 119:100

"I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts."​

To keep God's precepts implies we know all His Word, plus we believe all His Word, plus we revere His ownership of us and lordship over us, besides putting the energy into obeying. Understanding more than the ancients implies that we don't let the ancients' doctrines (the doctrines that might diverge from the Word and be based on sight instead of faith) limit our belief of all God's Word.

Knowing that God credits righteousness to us when all we can offer back to Him is our belief (implying that the blood of the Cross is what we have to plead in our desperation upon learning how we fall short keeping His precepts), and confessing to Him our honest regrets of those failings while putting forth effort in good faith to obey, we can have the confidence as we read God's word believingly that we will gain a level of understanding that will surpass that of any denomination that declares parts of God's word obsolete.

So READ the Bible, read INTENTLY, read EVERY WORD, and BELIEVE IT ALL, and as you do that, prevent previous things you've been taught from the pulpit to be the guide in your learning. Go back to the original languages when you have questions of what He is saying to us. He gives the Bible to YOU just as much as He gives it to your denomination. Be willing to get humiliated once in a while when you mistakenly, but in good faith, start too early to assert truths from an incomplete knowledge. To minimize you suffering humiliation, read that Bible through several times over, not letting any word of it be read with your eyes glazing over and so get forgotten unless you make that time up by re-reading it again with your full attention.

When I live by EVERY word that proceeds from the mouth of God, that means I want to know what He says to other people also. Like during near death experiences, which admittedly will need me to exercise some discernment. And like when someone may give me a personalized word of prophecy. Just remember that the more sure Word is always the written one over any of the oral ones.

Lord Bless!!!

Upvote 0