Why preach the gospel?

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If we believe that people are elected to salvation why preach the Gospel? I can think of some reasons but would like to have some input from fellow Reformed.

Thanks.

Because God uses preaching of the gospel as part of regeneration.

Upvote 0

ChristServant

Aug 23, 2020
South
✟26,634.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If we believe that people are elected to salvation why preach the Gospel? I can think of some reasons but would like to have some input from other member Reformed/Presbyterian/Calvinistic and similar people.

Thanks.

I think below is enough good reasons to preach the Gospel and all you need to confirm it.

15And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.

2He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.

60Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and preach the kingdom of God."

17For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.

37Then He said to His disciples, "The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few.

We no longer look to be served. We look to serve and give our lives for others. No longer fight for privilege, influence and status. We esteem others better than ourselves and put their interests above our own.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth

Peace be with all those in the body of Christ

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand that preaching is part of God's process.

It may be like how you discover a person you so love and you desire to have children with each other.

First > the fact you love each other is what destines a thing or two :)

So, then there are other things which become destined . . . maybe like you will build a house . . . or a hut . . . together, so you have a place to stay and share and care for children.

And, along with that comes various other process items which are included for bringing to pass how your love has destined that you will have children.

All of that which is in the process is also destined.

And I personally see how Isaiah 55:11 says God's word is destined to do all which God Himself means. And so, His word is His manual, guaranteed to accomplish what He pleases. And this can be good to rest in, knowing how humans can make it look as though no one can figure out what God's word means for us to believe and do. We can trust Him to do all He means, in sharing with us :)

And I trust that Isaiah 55:11 guarantees that God's word is doing and shall continue to do all He means. So, this is destined. His word is destined, then; and so, God Himself is destined, maybe we can consider.

But . . . so . . . about preaching > if it is an action of God, then deeper than the words, preaching can be spreading the almighty power of grace to have God's effect. It is like to how the LORD spoke what would be created, then He produced the result which He intended by His words of creation. Every word, then, is God's spoken word with God Himself to produce His meaning >

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

So, do not stop at preaching, then. There is all which His word means for us who have trusted in Christ . . . for how we live and love as family, in personal sharing with God and in submission to Him in His peace (Colossians 3:15), while being changed to be and love like Jesus > Ephesians 5:2 > Romans 8:29.

And our example can be spreading the effect of grace to those around us. For example, we can feed on how wives can help a disobedient man > "without a word" > 1 Peter 3:1-4.

God's redeeming almighty creative enlivening continues after He saves someone.

Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
I think below is enough good reasons to preach the Gospel and all you need to confirm it.

15And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.

2He sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick.

60Jesus said to him, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and preach the kingdom of God."

17For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.

37Then He said to His disciples, "The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few.

We no longer look to be served. We look to serve and give our lives for others. No longer fight for privilege, influence and status. We esteem others better than ourselves and put their interests above our own.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth

Peace be with all those in the body of Christ

Yes your first reason was the top of my list,the great commission. Why did he tell the Apostles to preach the Gospel? The popular answer would to reach the lost and save souls but that is not what Jesus actually said so I wanted to explore the purpose of his order.

Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
I understand that preaching is part of God's process.

It may be like how you discover a person you so love and you desire to have children with each other.

First > the fact you love each other is what destines a thing or two :)

So, then there are other things which become destined . . . maybe like you will build a house . . . or a hut . . . together, so you have a place to stay and share and care for children.

And, along with that comes various other process items which are included for bringing to pass how your love has destined that you will have children.

All of that which is in the process is also destined.

And I personally see how Isaiah 55:11 says God's word is destined to do all which God Himself means. And so, His word is His manual, guaranteed to accomplish what He pleases. And this can be good to rest in, knowing how humans can make it look as though no one can figure out what God's word means for us to believe and do. We can trust Him to do all He means, in sharing with us :)

And I trust that Isaiah 55:11 guarantees that God's word is doing and shall continue to do all He means. So, this is destined. His word is destined, then; and so, God Himself is destined, maybe we can consider.

But . . . so . . . about preaching > if it is an action of God, then deeper than the words, preaching can be spreading the almighty power of grace to have God's effect. It is like to how the LORD spoke what would be created, then He produced the result which He intended by His words of creation. Every word, then, is God's spoken word with God Himself to produce His meaning >

"for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." (Philippians 2:13)

So, do not stop at preaching, then. There is all which His word means for us who have trusted in Christ . . . for how we live and love as family, in personal sharing with God and in submission to Him in His peace (Colossians 3:15), while being changed to be and love like Jesus > Ephesians 5:2 > Romans 8:29.

And our example can be spreading the effect of grace to those around us. For example, we can feed on how wives can help a disobedient man > "without a word" > 1 Peter 3:1-4.

God's redeeming almighty creative enlivening continues after He saves someone.

So if I understand you correctly,you are saying the Gospel is essential for salvation because God has determined who will be sent,therefore the message will be received successfully and God ultimately picks who will hear the preacher?

I had actually given that a passing thought but it seemed overly complex at the time just for preaching. Maybe I think on it some more.

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If the gospel is essential for salvation then how were the people before Christ saved?

They were saved the same way were are saved today, faith in the Messiah.

When Adam and Eve sinned, God provided animal skins for their covering. The animals died, shedding their blood as a sacrifice for their sins. The blood of the animals represented the blood of Christ, the coming Messiah.

We know that Adam and Eve understood this because Cain and Able brought sacrifices before the Lord. Able brought and animal sacrifice and was accepted, Cain brought herbs from the field and was rejected.

When the Law of Moses came, the sacrifice continued. The people would bring an animal sacrifice whose blood would cover the their sins by faith in the coming Messiah.

They looked forward to the coming Messiah by faith, we look back to the Messiah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
They were saved the same way were are saved today, faith in the Messiah.

When Adam and Eve sinned, God provided animal skins for their covering. The animals died, shedding their blood as a sacrifice for their sins. The blood of the animals represented the blood of Christ, the coming Messiah.

We know that Adam and Eve understood this because Cain and Able brought sacrifices before the Lord. Able brought and animal sacrifice and was accepted, Cain brought herbs from the field and was rejected.

When the Law of Moses came, the sacrifice continued. The people would bring an animal sacrifice whose blood would cover the their sins by faith in the coming Messiah.

They looked forward to the coming Messiah by faith, we look back to the Messiah.

Saved by Grace,through faith.

The doctrine of saving grace has not changed but the administration of the grace has changed,from the old testament to Christ. Faith is a gift from God

Upvote 0

All Glory To God

Aug 13, 2020
U. K.
✟69,537.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That's right we would. See if you can make your point in this thread, in that forum it does allow the argument of synergism and it challenges the whole idea.

Faith: How does a person get it

Do you remember what Paul said on how we get faith?

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. Rom. 10:17

We are not injected with it, we accept or reject.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So if I understand you correctly,you are saying the Gospel is essential for salvation because God has determined who will be sent,therefore the message will be received successfully and God ultimately picks who will hear the preacher?
Whatever God determines to do is essential.

It may be different for different people. For one, it can be essential how God has the person hear a radio broadcast. Another might talk personally over coffee. Another could hear the Gospel in a church service.

But, then, the arrangements are essential, too . . . so that the person will hear on schedule :)

So, if God is committed to saving someone, there are various people and things included in the process, for each individual. You do what God has you do. Example can do more than the actual preaching; someone may realize how you are living and loving in Jesus Christ's "rest for your souls" (in Matthew 11:28-30), and this speaks to the person. Or, how you are relating in God's way can help someone see how the Gospel has to do with loving personally and with sensitivity and compassion. Ones can be helped by seeing how you put God first, have denied yourself, have become an all-loving person, plus how we share as family in Jesus. Your actions, then, might be included to help a person see the Gospel is more than ideas to be believed.

Upvote 0