Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
religion-sermon-church_service-church_sermon-sunday_service-preacher-jbwn285_low.jpg

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Here is my sophisticated rebuttal to the charge that church is boring:

(1) In the church where I was raised our pastor was a good preacher, but he had no sense of humor and never tried to be funny. Yet in 2 separate sermons about a year apart, he inadvertently made these 2 bloopers: (1) In a sermon on John the Baptist, he boomed: "And Jordan baptized Jesus in the John!" In a sermon on David, our pastor was giving a dramatic description of David's flight from his enemies and shouted: "And David ran to the sanctuary--and there he stood, breathless and pantless!"

Now as a kid, I found both bloopers funny enough. But what made me really lose it was the congregation's stone-faced reaction to both bloopers. They didn't seem to catch his actual words--except one guy sitting near the front for the second sermon. A few minutes after the David blooper, he turned around with a wicked grin, and then I knew he heard what I heard and I had to suppress howling with laughter! I mean, was everyone else asleep?

(2) Then there was the time when Aurilla procrastinated in buying the grape juice for our Communion service. Prune juice was available; so she bought that instead, thinking no one would notice the difference! She told no one! It's one thing to apologize and grin and bear prune juice for Communion. It's quite another thing for your taste buds to be expecting grape when you get prune!

(3) As a teen, I was sitting with my cousin near the front in my uncle's church. A large spider decided to use the little lace hat of the women sitting in front of us as the foundation for its large web. We sat spellbound by the spider's industry. When the spider was finished, we were kind enough to tap the lady on the shoulder, so she could inspect her new hat! She screamed--and no one can say that service was boring!

(4) On a hot August Sunday, the first church I pastored left the front doors open because we had no air conditioning. A big black cat strolled in see what was happening, and got the tip of his tail caught in the fan. He uttered a loud meow and leapt forward, jolting my whole congregation awake!

(5) On another occasion, a large bat was asleep attached high up the wall on the side of the sanctuary. He was too high up to reach with a broom, so the ushers decided to let me be, since he wasn't bothering anyone. Well, when I preach, I get blessed and truth is measured in decibels! My preaching woke up the bat and he started dive bombing the ladies in the front row!

(6) In one the churches I pastored, the sound system was for some reason tuned in to the phone of Mabel, the feisty old woman who lived next door to the church. This meant that Mabel's phone conversations sometimes interrupted me during the service. I asked the trustees to fix the problem, but evidently they like the humor of the interruptions and did nothing. Once I was in the midst of the climax of my sermon and thought I was spell-binding them with my climactic thought. Just then Mabel's voice came though: "That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard!" The people howled and I had to respond to Mabel as if she was critiquing my sermon! btw. when Mabel finally was informed that we were eavesdropping on her phone calls, she was mortified and stopped making calls during our service.

Sometimes church goes so wrong in a way that goes so right. When it does, church is not boring.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

(1) In the church where I was raised our pastor was a good preacher, but he had no sense of humor and never tried to be funny. Yet in 2 separate sermons about a year apart, he inadvertently made these 2 bloopers: (1) In a sermon on John the Baptist, he boomed: "And Jordan baptized Jesus in the John!" In a sermon on David, our pastor was giving a dramatic description of David's flight from his enemies and shouted: "And David ran to the sanctuary--and there he stood, breathless and pantless!"

Now as a kid, I found both bloopers funny enough. But what made me really lose it was the congregation's stone-faced reaction to both bloopers. They didn't seem to catch his actual words--except one guy sitting near the front for the second sermon. A few minutes after the David blooper, he turned around with a wicked grin, and then I knew he heard what I heard and I had to suppress howling with laughter! I mean, was everyone else asleep?

(2) Then there was the time when Aurilla procrastinated in buying the grape juice for our Communion service. Prune juice was available; so she bought that instead, thinking no one would notice the difference! She told no one! It's one thing to apologize and grin and bear prune juice for Communion. It's quite another thing for your taste buds to be expecting grape when you get prune!

(3) As a teen, I was sitting with my cousin near the front in my uncle's church. A large spider decided to use the little lace hat of the women sitting in front of us as the foundation for its large web. We sat spellbound by the spider's industry. When the spider was finished, we were kind enough to tap the lady on the shoulder, so she could inspect her new hat! She screamed--and no one can say that service was boring!

(4) On a hot August Sunday, the first church I pastored left the front doors open because we had no air conditioning. A big black cat strolled in see what was happening, and got the tip of his tail caught in the fan. He uttered a loud meow and leapt forward, jolting my whole congregation awake!

(5) On another occasion, a large bat was asleep attached high up the wall on the side of the sanctuary. He was too high up to reach with a broom, so the ushers decided to let me be, since he wasn't bothering anyone. Well, when I preach, I get blessed and truth is measured in decibels! My preaching woke up the bat and he started dive bombing the ladies in the front row!

(6) In one the churches I pastored, the sound system was for some reason tuned in to the phone of Mabel, the feisty old woman who lived next door to the church. This meant that Mabel's phone conversations sometimes interrupted me during the service. I asked the trustees to fix the problem, but evidently they like the humor of the interruptions and did nothing. Once I was in the midst of the climax of my sermon and thought I was spell-binding them with my climactic thought. Just then Mabel's voice came though: "That's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard!" The people howled and I had to respond to Mabel as if she was critiquing my sermon! btw. when Mabel finally was informed that we were eavesdropping on her phone calls, she was mortified and stopped making calls during our service.

Sometimes church goes so wrong in a way that goes so right. When it does, church is not boring.
That was food for my soul!

Upvote 0

want-love

Dec 17, 2016
united states
✟36,489.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

some sporadic anecdotes but daily, church is ... sing, pray, and hear sitting for 40min-2hrs. and i can't stand that, i need to move, to make something different, i meditate in the lord's word day and night and pray every day, but church is not for me. Missions are for me.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
In one church I wrote a series of Christian plays which the pastor allowed us to put on every couple of months. We had a group of six fine young actors and had a lot of fun practicing and doing the plays. I am a fairly strict director and on one occasion while I was instructing the actors where to stand and how to speak, I noticed two of them sitting down the back of the church giving Nazi salutes! That was a good laugh!

Anyhow, we did a drama on the book of Job. I acted the part of Job. We had the devil dressed in black like a Victorian melodrama villain and God dressed in a white coat and clipboard. However, over the previous three months I had lost a lot of weight and it was very noticeable at that stage. As part of the drama, as Job losing everything, I sang a couple of verses of Paul McCartney's "Yesterday". When I got to the second verse where I sang "Suddenly I'm not half the man I used to be" The pianist cracked up with laughter and there was general laughter for about 30 seconds. We got back under control and finished the play. It was a memorable time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
some sporadic anecdotes but daily, church is ... sing, pray, and hear sitting for 40min-2hrs. and i can't stand that, i need to move, to make something different, i meditate in the lord's word day and night and pray every day, but church is not for me. Missions are for me.
Apart from a very occasional visit in odd places to test the waters, my wife and I haven't been to church for over ten years.
We meet sporadically with a few saints about 30 miles away, who like us are walking with the Lord outside the institutional system.

Upvote 0

want-love

Dec 17, 2016
united states
✟36,489.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I prefer small groups. I like the personal engagement. It's much more interesting to hear insights and flash points from a number of people, than hear one person deliver an hour long monologue.
it's a matter of choices. some people likes the mob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟709,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My church is pentecostal and not boring too often. My pastor
likes to use object lessons and also says funny things sometimes without even meaning to.
For instance once he was relating to having bad thoughts or something I think,and said So what would you do if you had bad gas in the car? He totally didn't get what he said wrong until people started laughing and saying open the window lol. His face was so red.

Upvote 0