Why "oversharing" might be a good idea in Christianity.

Paulomycin

Feb 22, 2021
Beaumont/Port Arthur
✟20,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
(Edit 3/18: I have since abandoned this proposal.) - Paulo

Usually sin is performed in secret. People spend days, weeks, and even months trying to work out getting away with the perfect sin "on the down-low," right?

So what's wrong with confessing the specific temptation out in the open and up-front right away? Instead of saying, "I'm a sinner," in a vague and general sense, why not specify the proclivity itself? Maybe not among the entire congregation, but perhaps say, in a small group or something? Make a Reformed style 12-step-program out of it. :smiley:

After all, there's already a general 1-in-10 chance that you're highly prone to any of these sins, so why not assure everyone of the 7, 8, or 9 sins that you're not the most tempted to commit?

"Hi, I'm Steve, and I'm kind-of a high-functioning kleptomaniac."

"Hi, I'm Glen, and I'm something of a pervertuoso."

"Hi, I'm Rick, I'm have dangerous anger issues."

Benefits:

- Puts everyone on notice.
- No one who wants to keep their sin secret will generally want to participate with you (in either case).
- It's kind-of like confessing the sin without actually doing the sin itself. Maybe that's what confession was intended to be in the early church?
- You're too ashamed to actually commit the sin, because your cover's already blown.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenny'sID

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been in a men's group in which we've been able to do that, but I wouldn't want to make it that kind of formalized declaration. In a good group, men will admit their "besetting sins" to one another organically. It will just happen as a matter of the course of deep fellowship. At least, that's been my experience. The more time men spend with one another in contemplation and conversation as brothers... rather than religious posturing, the more likely this is to happen.

I think the dynamic is different among women.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Usually sin is performed in secret. People spend days, weeks, and even months trying to work out getting away with the perfect sin "on the down-low," right?

So what's wrong with confessing the specific temptation out in the open and up-front right away? Instead of saying, "I'm a sinner," in a vague and general sense, why not specify the proclivity itself? Maybe not among the entire congregation, but perhaps say, in a small group or something? Make a Reformed style 12-step-program out of it. :smiley:

After all, there's already a general 1-in-10 chance that you're highly prone to any of these sins, so why not assure everyone of the 7, 8, or 9 sins that you're not the most tempted to commit?

Benefits:

- No one who wants to keep their sin secret will generally want to participate with you (in either case).
- It's kind-of like confessing the sin without actually doing the sin itself. Maybe that's what confession was intended to be in the early church?
- You're too ashamed to actually commit the sin, because your cover's already blown.

What do you think?
"Confess your faults to each other so that you may be healed". There is a biblical basis for your suggestion.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I understand that, but in this case, we'd be judging ourselves instead of others.

Well, some "seekers" don't want to judge themselves, and when hypocrites judge them, they judge those hypocrites and say, "This Christianity is no different than non-christianity."

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"Confess your faults to each other so that you may be healed". There is a biblical basis for your suggestion.

I'm aware of that verse, but don't know what to think of it. Maybe I can find a sermon online.

"We are both to confess our sins to each other, and to pray for each other. James offers no details about what this should look like in practice. Are we to stand before the church congregation and announce all our sins from the prior week? That seems unlikely. More likely, James has in mind the idea of Christians being in close relationship with several other Christians. We need fellow believers with whom we can be vulnerable. In that setting, each could acknowledge to the other what sins are most difficult for them, and all could pray for each other to overcome those sins."
What does James 5:16 mean?.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm aware of that verse, but don't know what to think of it. Maybe I can find a sermon online.
Our fellowship has always been small. It's hard for people to hide their problems. The Lord showed something that helped me greatly. It was a vision.

I saw myself as Lazarus, coming out of the tomb. I was wrapped up in cloths like a mummy. I heard the Lord command the disciples to remove the cloths. I was fearful. I knew that my skin was wrinkled and my flesh showing signs of decay.

As the cloths were removed, sunlight fell on my skin. Instantly, it became like a newborn baby's skin.

Light and truth (same thing really) are not to be feared. The truth sets us free. No matter how ugly we think we are, no matter how bad the sin, there is healing and deliverance for all who seek it.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I read my Bible and pray and am not offended by converstaitions with her. I confess my shortcomings to God and once or twice talked to this lady. But I know people (even pastor's wives who are judgmental and don't keep concerns you share in confidence). These women want to complain and also want to share someone's concerns with everyone. That's just wrong, IMO.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

adderbolt

Mar 13, 2021
Cuyahoga County
✟56,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Divorced

Isn't this smoke and mirrors as Steve's up-to-the-minute thoughts might well reveal his more dominant sins? Because Steve dislikes or hates his pastor -- he can't make up his mind which. And Steve avoids some of his brothers-in-Christ -- who he believes are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. And Steve variously desires or lusts after several sisters in the pews -- he can't make up his mind which while he is checking out their current wardrobe and hair styling efforts.

Upvote 0

Paulomycin

Feb 22, 2021
Beaumont/Port Arthur
✟20,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Isn't this smoke and mirrors as Steve's up-to-the-minute thoughts might well reveal his more dominant sins? Because Steve dislikes or hates his pastor -- he can't make up his mind which. And Steve avoids some of his brothers-in-Christ -- who he believes are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. And Steve variously desires or lusts after several sisters in the pews -- he can't make up his mind which while he is checking out their current wardrobe and hair styling efforts.

He's right. . .

giphy.gif

Upvote 0

adderbolt

Mar 13, 2021
Cuyahoga County
✟56,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Divorced
The Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins (Matthew 25) suggests that perhaps fully one half of us, both brothers and sisters sitting in the pews, are ignoring our Lord's command to repent of our sins 'for the kingdom of heaven is at hand' (Matthew 4)

• Agree
Reactions: Paulomycin
Upvote 0

wandering misfit

Nowhere man
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2012
Indiana
✟54,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
(Edit 3/18: I have since abandoned this proposal.) - Paulo

Benefits:

What do you think?
I call false flag. Nowhere is God's morals and standards is referenced or posted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums