• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Why Opposite-Sex Friendships Will Destroy Your Marriage

waves

not so new
Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
✟94,770.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Before you know it, the spouse and his or her extra-marital friend are comforting each other, turning to each other for advice, sharing details of their intimate life and relationships, and texting each other with increasing frequency and intimacy. As the excitement of their forbidden friendship grows, the dynamics in the marriage deteriorate. After all, three's a crowd.

...While there are a lot of ways to screw up a marriage, spouses who have close opposite-sex friendships are toying with one of the riskiest and most short-sighted behaviours that commonly lead to infidelity and ultimately divorce.

Many of my consults begin with a client saying something like this: "My husband is constantly texting a female co-worker...he says they're just friends and that they only talk about work, but he's always laughing and smiling when he's texting her."

Or this: "I know my wife is always texting or on Facebook with her personal trainer. Now she locks her cell phone and has changed her online passwords. If I ask her who she's talking to, she freaks out and says I'm being paranoid, jealous and controlling."

Do you know what the above scenarios have in common? In both of them, the spouse who is having the opposite-sex friendship knows full-well that the behaviour is as shady as hell. But instead of respecting their spouse's feelings, they continue to indulge in the ego-boost or thrill of it all.

...But in reality, many opposite-sex friendships involve people who - if circumstances were different - might be potential sexual partners. Indeed, many opposite-sex friendships are maintained because of a simmering attraction. One or both people are keeping their "friend" on the back-burner as a potential mate in the event their current relationship ends.

This is especially true of men. It may be 2015 but, let's face it, many men still only befriend women they have at least some degree of physical attraction to.

Some people will say that they've always had opposite-sex friendships and that shouldn't change just because they get married. They will say that only insecure people or weak marriages would shy away from opposite-sex friendships.

In my opinion, this is a self-focused and naïve way of thinking. It ignores the reality that every marriage goes through ups and downs. When you're "up," things are great and the opposite-sex friendship may be mostly harmless (although it still may be an irritation to the other spouse).

But it's a different story when you're going through a temporary "down" or rough patch in your relationship. This might be some kind of conflict, sexual dry spell, life circumstance or even pure boredom. When this happens, many people turn to their opposite-sex friend as a shoulder to cry on.

Why Opposite-Sex Friendships Will Destroy Your Marriage

I posted the above article for you significant other. I know you believe that I am just jealous, insecure, and paranoid but I am not.

One of your female friends you speak to and keep in contact with lied about me trying to get the police to arrest me. This is one of your friends who you hold dear.

Whenever you visit and my other alter emerges, every time you are upbeat, and happier more than usual, one of things I know your upbeat attitude is not in regards to seeing me, but the conversations and times you have spent with other women. That is what makes you happy.

In high school there were two types of girls.

1. Nerdy girls
2.Popular girls

I was considered nerdy and treated as such by the popular girls who believed that they were better than me and made sure to remind me as often as possible. This is the same thing is playing out in my adulthood. The thing that also really hurts is that because I was very quiet you and your friends thought I was behaving better than others, but in reality the popular girls were the ones who thought that they were better than others and you all knew it. Not only did you know it, you excused whatever behavior they displayed, and these were the girls that you and your friends thought were the better girls.

How on earth can you know that Jesus Christ exists and not think that he knows exactly what is going on. Jesus Christ has always protected me and looked out for me, but you don't see it. You don't see his hand on my life and the revelations he gives me. While you consider me to be an annoyance, Jesus Christ instead sees the good in me. He sees that I am trying to be a good person.

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I disagree. Most people can distinguish from what is friendly and what is more than friendly. We are to befriend many people, fellowship with many people, regardless of gender. Adultery should not be on your mind or the motive to befriending others in the first place.

Upvote 0

waves

not so new
Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
✟94,770.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I disagree. Most people can distinguish from what is friendly and what is more than friendly. We are to befriend many people, fellowship with many people, regardless of gender. Adultery should not be on your mind or the motive to befriending others in the first place.

I use to believe that men and women could be just friends, until I have had the experience of dealing with extremely vicious girls and women, and the lengths these persons have gone through to destroy and undermine me and my relationship with others.

What does the bible say about trusting people? Should we trust people blindly? Consider the following scriptures

Judge 16 verse 1-22 (Samson and Delilah)

[1] Then went Samson to Gaza, and saw there an harlot, and went in unto her.
[2] And it was told the Gazites, saying, Samson is come hither. And they compassed him in, and laid wait for him all night in the gate of the city, and were quiet all the night, saying, In the morning, when it is day, we shall kill him.
[3] And Samson lay till midnight, and arose at midnight, and took the doors of the gate of the city, and the two posts, and went away with them, bar and all, and put them upon his shoulders, and carried them up to the top of an hill that is before Hebron.
[4] And it came to pass afterward, that he loved a woman in the valley of Sorek, whose name was Delilah.
[5] And the lords of the Philistines came up unto her, and said unto her, Entice him, and see wherein his great strength lieth, and by what means we may prevail against him, that we may bind him to afflict him: and we will give thee every one of us eleven hundred pieces of silver.
[6] And Delilah said to Samson, Tell me, I pray thee, wherein thy great strength lieth, and wherewith thou mightest be bound to afflict thee.

[7] And Samson said unto her, If they bind me with seven green withs that were never dried, then shall I be weak, and be as another man.
[8] Then the lords of the Philistines brought up to her seven green withs which had not been dried, and she bound him with them.
[9] Now there were men lying in wait, abiding with her in the chamber. And she said unto him, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he brake the withs, as a thread of tow is broken when it toucheth the fire. So his strength was not known.
[10] And Delilah said unto Samson, Behold, thou hast mocked me, and told me lies: now tell me, I pray thee, wherewith thou mightest be bound.
[11] And he said unto her, If they bind me fast with new ropes that never were occupied, then shall I be weak, and be as another man.
[12] Delilah therefore took new ropes, and bound him therewith, and said unto him, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And there were liers in wait abiding in the chamber. And he brake them from off his arms like a thread.
[13] And Delilah said unto Samson, Hitherto thou hast mocked me, and told me lies: tell me wherewith thou mightest be bound. And he said unto her, If thou weavest the seven locks of my head with the web.
[14] And she fastened it with the pin, and said unto him, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awaked out of his sleep, and went away with the pin of the beam, and with the web.
[15] And she said unto him, How canst thou say, I love thee, when thine heart is not with me? thou hast mocked me these three times, and hast not told me wherein thy great strength lieth.
[16] And it came to pass, when she pressed him daily with her words, and urged him, so that his soul was vexed unto death;
[17] That he told her all his heart, and said unto her. There hath not come a rasor upon mine head; for I have been a Nazarite unto God from my mother's womb: if I be shaven, then my strength will go from me, and I shall become weak, and be like any other man.
[18] And when Delilah saw that he had told her all his heart, she sent and called for the lords of the Philistines, saying, Come up this once, for he hath shewed me all his heart. Then the lords of the Philistines came up unto her, and brought money in their hand.
[19] And she made him sleep upon her knees; and she called for a man, and she caused him to shave off the seven locks of his head; and she began to afflict him, and his strength went from him.
[20] And she said, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awoke out of his sleep, and said, I will go out as at other times before, and shake myself. And he wist not that the LORD was departed from him.
[21] But the Philistines took him, and put out his eyes, and brought him down to Gaza, and bound him with fetters of brass; and he did grind in the prison house.

Psalms 146 verse 3

[3] Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

Proverbs 7 verse 1-27

[1] My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.
[2] Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.
[3] Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart.
[4] Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister; and call understanding thy kinswoman:
[5] That they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words.

[6] For at the window of my house I looked through my casement,
[7] And beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding,
[8] Passing through the street near her corner; and he went the way to her house,
[9] In the twilight, in the evening, in the black and dark night:
[10] And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.
[11] (She is loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her house:
[12] Now is she without, now in the streets, and lieth in wait at every corner.)
[13] So she caught him, and kissed him, and with an impudent face said unto him,
[14] I have peace offerings with me; this day have I payed my vows.
[15] Therefore came I forth to meet thee, diligently to seek thy face, and I have found thee.
[16] I have decked my bed with coverings of tapestry, with carved works, with fine linen of Egypt.
[17] I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.
[18] Come, let us take our fill of love until the morning: let us solace ourselves with loves.
[19] For the goodman is not at home, he is gone a long journey:

[20] He hath taken a bag of money with him, and will come home at the day appointed.
[21] With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him.
[22] He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks;
[23] Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird hasteth to the snare, and knoweth not that it is for his life.
[24] Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth.
[25] Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths.
[26] For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.

[27] Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.

Matthew 10 verse 16

[16] Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Wolfs are vicious animals that kill sheep and eat them.

John 2 verse 23-25

[23] Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.
[24] But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,
[25] And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I use to believe that men and women could be just friends, until I have had the experience of dealing with extremely vicious girls and women, and the lengths these persons have gone through to destroy and undermine me and my relationship with others.

What does the bible say about trusting people? Should we trust people blindly? Consider the following scriptures

Judge 16 verse 1-22 (Samson and Delilah)

[1] Then went Samson to Gaza, and saw there an harlot, and went in unto her.
[2] And it was told the Gazites, saying, Samson is come hither. And they compassed him in, and laid wait for him all night in the gate of the city, and were quiet all the night, saying, In the morning, when it is day, we shall kill him.
[3] And Samson lay till midnight, and arose at midnight, and took the doors of the gate of the city, and the two posts, and went away with them, bar and all, and put them upon his shoulders, and carried them up to the top of an hill that is before Hebron.
[4] And it came to pass afterward, that he loved a woman in the valley of Sorek, whose name was Delilah.
[5] And the lords of the Philistines came up unto her, and said unto her, Entice him, and see wherein his great strength lieth, and by what means we may prevail against him, that we may bind him to afflict him: and we will give thee every one of us eleven hundred pieces of silver.
[6] And Delilah said to Samson, Tell me, I pray thee, wherein thy great strength lieth, and wherewith thou mightest be bound to afflict thee.

[7] And Samson said unto her, If they bind me with seven green withs that were never dried, then shall I be weak, and be as another man.
[8] Then the lords of the Philistines brought up to her seven green withs which had not been dried, and she bound him with them.
[9] Now there were men lying in wait, abiding with her in the chamber. And she said unto him, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he brake the withs, as a thread of tow is broken when it toucheth the fire. So his strength was not known.
[10] And Delilah said unto Samson, Behold, thou hast mocked me, and told me lies: now tell me, I pray thee, wherewith thou mightest be bound.
[11] And he said unto her, If they bind me fast with new ropes that never were occupied, then shall I be weak, and be as another man.
[12] Delilah therefore took new ropes, and bound him therewith, and said unto him, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And there were liers in wait abiding in the chamber. And he brake them from off his arms like a thread.
[13] And Delilah said unto Samson, Hitherto thou hast mocked me, and told me lies: tell me wherewith thou mightest be bound. And he said unto her, If thou weavest the seven locks of my head with the web.
[14] And she fastened it with the pin, and said unto him, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awaked out of his sleep, and went away with the pin of the beam, and with the web.
[15] And she said unto him, How canst thou say, I love thee, when thine heart is not with me? thou hast mocked me these three times, and hast not told me wherein thy great strength lieth.
[16] And it came to pass, when she pressed him daily with her words, and urged him, so that his soul was vexed unto death;
[17] That he told her all his heart, and said unto her. There hath not come a rasor upon mine head; for I have been a Nazarite unto God from my mother's womb: if I be shaven, then my strength will go from me, and I shall become weak, and be like any other man.
[18] And when Delilah saw that he had told her all his heart, she sent and called for the lords of the Philistines, saying, Come up this once, for he hath shewed me all his heart. Then the lords of the Philistines came up unto her, and brought money in their hand.
[19] And she made him sleep upon her knees; and she called for a man, and she caused him to shave off the seven locks of his head; and she began to afflict him, and his strength went from him.
[20] And she said, The Philistines be upon thee, Samson. And he awoke out of his sleep, and said, I will go out as at other times before, and shake myself. And he wist not that the LORD was departed from him.
[21] But the Philistines took him, and put out his eyes, and brought him down to Gaza, and bound him with fetters of brass; and he did grind in the prison house.

Psalms 146 verse 3

[3] Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

Proverbs 7 verse 1-27

[1] My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee.
[2] Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.
[3] Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart.
[4] Say unto wisdom, Thou art my sister; and call understanding thy kinswoman:
[5] That they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words.
[6] For at the window of my house I looked through my casement,
[7] And beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding,
[8] Passing through the street near her corner; and he went the way to her house,
[9] In the twilight, in the evening, in the black and dark night:
[10] And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.
[11] (She is loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her house:
[12] Now is she without, now in the streets, and lieth in wait at every corner.)
[13] So she caught him, and kissed him, and with an impudent face said unto him,
[14] I have peace offerings with me; this day have I payed my vows.
[15] Therefore came I forth to meet thee, diligently to seek thy face, and I have found thee.
[16] I have decked my bed with coverings of tapestry, with carved works, with fine linen of Egypt.
[17] I have perfumed my bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.
[18] Come, let us take our fill of love until the morning: let us solace ourselves with loves.
[19] For the goodman is not at home, he is gone a long journey:

[20] He hath taken a bag of money with him, and will come home at the day appointed.
[21] With her much fair speech she caused him to yield, with the flattering of her lips she forced him.
[22] He goeth after her straightway, as an ox goeth to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks;
[23] Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird hasteth to the snare, and knoweth not that it is for his life.
[24] Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth.
[25] Let not thine heart decline to her ways, go not astray in her paths.
[26] For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.

[27] Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.

Matthew 10 verse 16

[16] Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Wolfs are vicious animals that kill sheep and eat them.

John 2 verse 23-25

[23] Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did.
[24] But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,
[25] And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man.
When you're walking by the spirit, you look beyond gender differences or physical differences. In Christ we should all be united as one. We need to treat each other kindly, and befriend others, regardless of gender. Not befriending someone because of their gender is something God would hate.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I tend to agree. It is very, very hard for a married person to be close friends with someone of the opposite sex before someone starts becoming overly attached. First emotionally, then physically.

I have seen it happen, even between and among practicing Christians. It is very sad. We should never, never underestimate the damage caused by the flesh, the heart, and our inclination towards concupicsence, no matter how prayerful we are, or how theoretically aware of these difficulties we are. It can happen to anyone. Flee temptation. We are never as strong as we think.

Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I tend to agree. It is very, very hard for a married person to be close friends with someone of the opposite sex before someone starts becoming overly attached. First emotionally, then physically.

I have seen it happen, even between and among practicing Christians. It is very sad. We should never, never underestimate the damage caused by the flesh, the heart, and our inclination towards concupicsence, no matter how prayerful we are, or how theoretically aware of these difficulties we are. It can happen to anyone. Flee temptation. We are never as strong as we think.
It's not hard at all... Unless you make it hard. Befriending people is obeying God and you should not stop because of their gender... That is shallow and wrong and walking by the flesh, not the spirit. We are all one in Christ... Why would gender matter? That sounds hateful to be quite honest. If you can't control yourself, that's your own problem. Not the problem of the person from the other gender. Because you would be focusing too much on the flesh. And you would have to work on that so you can obey God and be friends with other people regardless of gender.

• Agree
Reactions: baryogenesis
Upvote 0

waves

not so new
Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
✟94,770.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Cheating is rampant not only in society but also in the church.

When you're walking by the spirit, you look beyond gender differences or physical differences. In Christ we should all be united as one. We need to treat each other kindly, and befriend others, regardless of gender. Not befriending someone because of their gender is something God would hate.

Cheating is rampant in society and in the church. Consider the following:

A senior rabbi has been forced to quit his synagogue after an ‘inappropriate association with a married woman’.

...He added: ‘When one of us fails in this manner, we are all greatly diminished.’ The disgraced rabbi is said to have quit over his links with the wife of a millionaire, to whom he gave ‘pastoral support’ in her marital home.

...They have children. She suddenly started receiving a lot of pastoral support from [Rabbi] Abraham at her marital home. It’s said it wasn’t long before he crossed personal and religious boundaries.

Senior rabbi, 55, is caught having an 'inappropriate association' with a married woman by a private eye hired by her multi-millionaire husband after he became suspicious of his 'frequent pastoral visits'

...‘The husband became so concerned at the rabbi’s frequent visits that he hired a private eye to find out what exactly was going on.

...What he told the husband was enough for him and his wife to face possible divorce – and for the rabbi to resign.’

The source went on: ‘The husband’s hackles were first raised when his wife said she wanted the family to “embrace their faith” more. They attend synagogue like any other family so this seemed to him an odd thing to say.

‘Then there were all the visits from the rabbi, including his using the swimming pool, which on reflection was odd as well as he was supposed to be there to give pastoral support.

His worst fears were realised when the private eye produced evidence that left him in no doubt the rabbi was behaving inappropriately.

Senior rabbi, 55, is caught having an 'inappropriate association' with a married woman by a private eye hired by her multi-millionaire husband after he became suspicious of his 'frequent pastoral visits'

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

waves

not so new
Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
✟94,770.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's not hard at all... Unless you make it hard. Befriending people is obeying God and you should not stop because of their gender... That is shallow and wrong and walking by the flesh, not the spirit. We are all one in Christ... Why would gender matter? That sounds hateful to be quite honest. If you can't control yourself, that's your own problem. Not the problem of the person from the other gender. Because you would be focusing too much on the flesh. And you would have to work on that so you can obey God and be friends with other people regardless of gender.

How would you feel if your wife/husband who you have been with for many years cheated on you with your own best friend? How would this affect the way you view people? Wouldn't you have serious trust issues?

I have had friends both females and males or so I thought. Only for me to discover that they hated me. I was nice to them, liked hanging around them etc but they hated me nonetheless. Females have threatened to kill me etc, groups of females follow me and harass me frequently, so how can I allow people to be apart of my life who hate me, can't stand me etc? Do I hate people? No, but they hate me and can't stand me and I did not do anything wrong to them.

Note the following about the end times

Luke 21 verse 16-17

[16] And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death.
[17] And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.

• Prayers
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

DM25

Jul 10, 2018
Edmonton
✟16,988.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How would you feel if your wife/husband who you have been with for many years cheated on you with your own best friend? How would this affect the way you view people? Wouldn't you have serious trust issues?

I have had friends both females and males or so I thought. Only for me to discover that they hated me. I was nice to them, liked hanging around them etc but they hated me nonetheless. Females have threatened to kill me etc, groups of females follow me and harass me frequently, so how can I allow people to be apart of my life who hate me, can't stand me etc? Do I hate people? No, but they hate me and can't stand me and I did not do anything wrong to them.

Note the following about the end times

Luke 21 verse 16-17

[16] And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death.
[17] And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.
Nobody said cheating is okay. There is a difference with being friends and cheating.

• Agree
Reactions: baryogenesis
Upvote 0

baryogenesis

Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2010
cancelled
✟45,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other."

~ Gal 5:22-26

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums