Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A recent 'victim blaming' comment reply to one of my posts got me thinking; why not blame the victims...if it's their fault they're in the pickle that they're in?
We, typically, reserve "Victim" status ... for those who are not responsible for their bad circumstances.

You know, ... like cancer patients, children who are abused, those in the 911 towers, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We, typically, reserve "Victim" status ... for those who are not responsible for their bad circumstances.

You know, ... like cancer patients, children who are abused, those in the 911 towers, etc.

I think it's applied much more widely than that. For example, poor health is blamed on poverty, crime is blamed on racism.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A recent 'victim blaming' comment reply to one of my posts got me thinking; why not blame the victims...if it's their fault they're in the pickle that they're in?

That's at least one thing I've not noticed Trump doing. Instead, he several times has simply accused others of doing what he himself is the one doing the most. 'Fake news' is a perfect example of that -- he himself makes up stuff quite often it seems (or actually believes his own imagined stuff?), but accuses others (not himself) of doing the 'fake news'.

It's actually gotten to where when Trump says something bad about someone, now I start to think: "hmmm....maybe they that person actually said something true or important to know, and Trump wants to cancel out what they said"

It's actually gotten to where when Trump attacks someone, I've learned by experience, to expect that person said something we all need to hear.

!

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's at least one thing I've not noticed Trump doing. Instead, he several times has simply accused others of doing what he himself is the one doing the most. 'Fake news' is a perfect example of that -- he himself makes up stuff quite often it seems (or actually believes his own imagined stuff?), but accuses others (not himself) of doing the 'fake news'.

It's actually gotten to where when Trump says something bad about someone, now I start to think: "hmmm....maybe they that person actually said something true or important to know, and Trump wants to cancel out what they said"

It's actually gotten to where when Trump attacks someone, I've learned by experience, to expect that person said something we all need to hear.

!

That's a fair point.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If a person is in a situation due to their ungodly, neglectful, reckless, unwise, etc. conduct then they are not a "victim" to begin with. They may want to act like a victim or have a victim mentality, but they are not a true victim.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AllDayFaith

Sep 15, 2018
Spring Hill
Visit site
✟76,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But how are they both always at fault?
I couldn't possibly judge what a man deserves, cause we reap what we sow. So because we indulge our tongues we eat the fruits of those words, even if they are rotten. It sounds like I'm saying the man deserved to get stabbed, how could we ever understand the reason God lets things like this happen.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I couldn't possibly judge what a man deserves, cause we reap what we sow. So because we indulge our tongues we eat the fruits of those words, even if they are rotten. It sounds like I'm saying the man deserved to get stabbed, how could we ever understand the reason God lets things like this happen.
I'm not asking about any particular case.

I'm asking about your general principle that you claim applies to all cases, which is: both sides are always at fault.

How do you know that?

• Useful
Reactions: AllDayFaith
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Can you provide a link to this comment so I can see the context please?

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.