Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where is everybody?

Hi Hope.:wave:

Keep posting; someone's bound to notice and answer. :)

I went to a Lutheran church in northern Minnesota for a while as a child in the 60's; and started their Lutheran catechism. Then we moved towns and I went to a Calvary Baptist church.

I really liked the Lutheran catechism and wished I had completed it.
Do you know the difference between the Lutheran and Baptist catechisms?

Thanks. :)

Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Hope.:wave:

Keep posting; someone's bound to notice and answer. :)

I went to a Lutheran church in northern Minnesota for a while as a child in the 60's; and started their Lutheran catechism. Then we moved towns and I went to a Calvary Baptist church.

I really liked the Lutheran catechism and wished I had completed it.
Do you know the difference between the Lutheran and Baptist catechisms?

Thanks. :)
Hi! No, I don’t. I come from a Catholic background.

Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I've just been a bit busy with ministry and work lately, but I do check the forums frequently. I mostly comment as opposed to creating threads, though.

Seeing as people mentioned the catechism, I couldn't recommend it enough! Get a copy if you don't already own it: https://www.amazon.com/Luthers-Smal...610332484&sprefix=small+catech,aps,295&sr=8-1

If you have the opportunity to join a catechesis class, that's even better! I'll be teaching from the catechism this spring here in Osaka and I'm quite looking forward to it!

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've just been a bit busy with ministry and work lately, but I do check the forums frequently. I mostly comment as opposed to creating threads, though.

Seeing as people mentioned the catechism, I couldn't recommend it enough! Get a copy if you don't already own it: https://www.amazon.com/Luthers-Small-Catechism-Explanation-2017/dp/0758660243/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3VKURFAG3ONJD&dchild=1&keywords=small+catechism&qid=1610332484&sprefix=small+catech,aps,295&sr=8-1

If you have the opportunity to join a catechesis class, that's even better! I'll be teaching from the catechism this spring here in Osaka and I'm quite looking forward to it!
I just got the Lutheran catechism about a week or two ago!

Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm still around, but I have transitioned to the Methodist church, back to it as it were. As such I am not posting in the Lutheran forums as frequently. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm still around, but I have transitioned to the Methodist church, back to it as it were. As such I am not posting in the Lutheran forums as frequently. :)
Ok,well,I’d still appreciate your input from time to time. Why did you revert back to Methodist?

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok,well,I’d still appreciate your input from time to time. Why did you revert back to Methodist?
A number of reasons, less theological than social and local, but also those. I was a member in the ELCA, and honestly the denomination moved further liberal than I am at this point. The church I was at is a really great place, the people are wonderful and the pastor is a good man of God. They were fairly conservative, for the ELCA, but the overall denomination just keeps marching to the liberal side.

The LCMS and other Lutheran denominations are not a great fit for me for a variety of theological and personal reasons. Episcopacy, Apostolic Succession, a "high church" option, female ordination, etc. are important to me, and the other Lutheran denominations don't have those, or have some but not all of those. Also, the local LCMS church was not a good fit for my family.

My family has roots in the Methodist and Anglican churches, so that is of some influence. Also, this is the same church that I was baptized in and went to throughout high school and college - I happened to move back very close to it. Wesleyan theology makes sense to me, and it leaves plenty of room for my Messianic Judaism beliefs as well.

Lutheran theology will always be an influence on me, just like the Catholic Church has been, and I consider that a good thing. Interacting and really getting into the beliefs of different denominations helps one better understand where other Christians are at, even if we disagree.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
High church Methodists don't exist in most of Virginia. But the local Methodist pastors do have the decency to refer people who are looking for that to my Anglican church.

My colleague Fr. Tom was training to be a UMC pastor. He tells me that one day the dean at the seminary sat him down and said, "Tom, you are too traditional to succeed as a Methodist pastor. You should think about becoming an Anglican." And he did.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
High church Methodists don't exist in most of Virginia. But the local Methodist pastors do have the decency to refer people who are looking for that to my Anglican church.

My colleague Fr. Tom was training to be a UMC pastor. He tells me that one day the dean at the seminary sat him down and said, "Tom, you are too traditional to succeed as a Methodist pastor. You should think about becoming an Anglican." And he did.
Ha, I can get that. I don't think that high church Methodists are really common at all in the USA. The church I attend usually is not high church, but I still consider that my orientation regardless. The Episcopal church is to liberal for me now, and the other local Anglican churches are not really my scene and/or are low church too.

• Friendly
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0