Why no calls for repentance to stop the Coronavirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps I have missed it, but other than Trump calling for a national day of prayer, there has been little leadership of the church to call the world to repentance to stop many of the ills our society has. The root of COV-19 is spiritual, most (myself included) have been too complacent, worldly and lukewarm. We should pray that people learn to turn to God concerning this evil and repent from how far we have strayed. Just to name a few, The idols of materialism, government, health care and globalization can not help you with everything. There is nothing inherently wrong with any of these items but they do not supplant God, so we have to focus our trust more on Him. Individual sins also are rampant too, with all kinds of addictions, angers and violence. What we are experiencing seems to parallel with
Revelation 3:17-19 (KJV)
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

I know it is not a feel good message but it would seem to me that our veil of protection has had cracks in it. Ps 91 suggests you have to dwell in the secret place for protection, not merely visit it. Events such as 9/11, the financial crisis, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes and record forest fires have done little to turn America or most other nations of the world. Should we think that there would be no results from the ugly, modern society we have become? Shall we now harden our hearts, or even worse count God out of the equation of combating this virus? No way, instead we should use the space and time that has been forced upon us for sincere reflection of soberness for our personal and national sins.
2 Chronicles 7:13-14 (KJV)
13 If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people;
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Now please don't think I am self-righteous. I am among the guilty. However, I do thank the remnant that intercedes and helps hold things together. May their numbers grow and the harvest be great from this onslaught of evil we are experiencing.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps I have missed it, but other than Trump calling for a national day of prayer, there has been little leadership of the church to call the world to repentance to stop many of the ills our society has. The root of COV-19 is spiritual, most (myself included) have been too complacent, worldly and lukewarm. We should pray that people learn to turn to God concerning this evil and repent from how far we have strayed. Just to name a few, The idols of materialism, government, health care and globalization can not help you with everything. There is nothing inherently wrong with any of these items but they do not supplant God, so we have to focus our trust more on Him. Individual sins also are rampant too, with all kinds of addictions, angers and violence. What we are experiencing seems to parallel with
Revelation 3:17-19 (KJV)
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

I know it is not a feel good message but it would seem to me that our veil of protection has had cracks in it. Ps 91 suggests you have to dwell in the secret place for protection, not merely visit it. Events such as 9/11, the financial crisis, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes and record forest fires have done little to turn America or most other nations of the world. Should we think that there would be no results from the ugly, modern society we have become? Shall we now harden our hearts, or even worse count God out of the equation of combating this virus? No way, instead we should use the space and time that has been forced upon us for sincere reflection of soberness for our personal and national sins.
2 Chronicles 7:13-14 (KJV)
13 If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people;
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
Now please don't think I am self-righteous. I am among the guilty. However, I do thank the remnant that intercedes and helps hold things together. May their numbers grow and the harvest be great from this onslaught of evil we are experiencing.

Prayer changes your view of God's plans, not God's plans.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Heaven is aware of human hearts?
I wonder what response you are expecting.

Jeremiah 17:10
“I the Lord search the heart and test the mind, to give every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his deeds.”

1 Samuel 16:7
But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.”

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps I have missed it, but other than Trump calling for a national day of prayer, there has been little leadership of the church to call the world to repentance to stop many of the ills our society has.

God only changes how we see God's working in the world, not the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT
256064_6429f71273587ebdde5b1038d8c1ccf4.jpg

Folks, the Statement of Purpose has this:
All news and current events threads must be documented or validated with a link to a credible online news source in the original post (OP).​

We are have had to move a number of threads recently. At this point, I am just closing them. If it continues, we may need to do forum specific bans.

Read the Statement of Purpose for the forums you post in. Start threads in the correct forum.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.