• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Why must race be an integral part of news stories?

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by Aldebaran, Jul 22, 2018.

1. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+6,729
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    But we have a disproportionately black violence problem in this country. How do you ignore that? The Chicago shootings, done mostly by blacks (and mostly against other blacks) have taken an ugly turn in that many are random; no reason, unacquainted with the victim, just shooting people for fun.

That said, in my city we also have a black violence problem, that the media largely ignores. However when reports come out of city hall it is made plain.

2. OldWiseGuy

+6,729
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Looking at the video I believe it was important to reveal the ethnicity of those involved. The news story was clearly sympathetic to the black man. The story was also misleading and incomplete. The white guy, imo, was justified in shooting the black guy as it is clear that he was going to continue his attack. It would be interesting to know exactly what the wife said to McGlockton that caused him to attack Drejka, and why she would have said anything as she likely knew he was a violent man and would attack the complainant. Also knowing that they were clearly in the wrong why she would say anything at all. She is therefore culpable in her husbands death, imo.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  3. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+5,681
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Where did I suggest we ignore it?
    What I was pointing out was the MSM's obsession with a person's skin color only when they see the black person as the victim. When they run a story about a black person threatening a white cop and the cop takes him down or shoots him, the story is: "A black man who is a husband and father of 2 young children was gunned down today but a white police officer". Never mind that the video shows the black guy going after the cop's gun and resisting arrest.

Then in a story they run 10 minutes later where a couple of black guys are assaulting and kicking an elderly white guy, the news anchor and reporter never make mention of the skin color of the perpetrators or the victim. Is there a good reason for this type of bias? Is it possible that those telling us the stories want to conjure up feeling of racial hatred? Should that be ignored?

4. OldWiseGuy

+6,729
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    The public should have all the details available. Most can see through the bias of the media reports. Sadly we don't get comprehensive information, but reports often intended to arouse passions.

Recall the early news reports of the shooting of Trayvon Martin. The press had us believing Trayvon was a 12 year old kid innocently skipping home from the store with his "Skittles" when brutally murdered in cold blood by a 'white' security guard.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  5. RestoreTheJoy

RestoreTheJoy Well-Known Member Supporter

+614
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    You realize this is just a bunch of social justice rhetoric?

We all have the package of traits we have. Historical antecedents do not rule current interactions, unless you insist they rule your own. You can go around with a chip on your shoulder, I suppose, no matter who you are. You can be angry that you are a woman instead of a man, Navajo instead of Asian, infertile instead of fertile, paraplegic instead of having use of all limbs, and no one will stop you.

Accusing another segment of "Fragility" simply because they view the situation differently that you is pejorative and antagonistic, and leads to division, not strife.

Unless I missed it (and that could have happened in this long thread) I don't see anyone advocating supremacy over those who may have come from a more difficult background or have challenges to overcome.

6. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+876
    Presbyterian
    Single
    We see occupation discrimination in news stories all the time as well. "Shooter Kills 2, and one officer". As if the value on the police officer's life is somehow different from any other.

7. Aldebaran

Aldebaran Star Power!

+5,681
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Exactly! That was some time ago, and the bias still hasn't stopped. It formed the public opinion of who was really to blame in the Trayvon Martin case, which of course then grew into outrage when the court of law finally ran its course and didn't agree with the MSM narrative. When enough of these cases become an outrage in the public due to being manipulated by the "press", we'll end up with a race war. That seems to be exactly what they're looking to start. Of course, there would be lots of headlines coming from that too, so they win either way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List