Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am just about tired of being insulted. I am a nice person, who happens also to be a Christian. I try to be nice and am never rude, so its offensive when people I have never asked a question slam me when I ask an honest question. Why are you here, if its not to have discourse with Christians? This is not the slam Christians site, any more than its the slam atheist site, if I am correct. Mods correct me if I am wrong.

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
I think that a lot of the rudeness can be put down to misunderstandings. I have learned when posting on boards to always take what someone says in the best possible light - people rush, often people say offensive things without meaning too and often I foolishly jump to the conclusion that I am being personally attacked. Emotionally charged issues bring with them a lot of baggage that is difficult if not impossible to get rid of. Making allowances for it generally pays off.

However, there are genuine cases of intolerable rudeness. I no longer bother responding to two people on these boards because of this, although I have not put them on my ignore list or anything - I still want to read what they say; I just cannot be bothered getting into a slanging match with them again.

My advice is to always confront the person you think has been rude to you by asking them to clarify if it is unclear or to apologise if it is clear. Then take any necessary action from there.

Upvote 0
Lana,

Remember that little 3 letter word? S-I-N?

I know it is difficult and even Christians get caught up in it, myself included. But it is easier just not to respond to people when they rant and rave at you and they eventually go away! Don't be discouraged, besides I need that darn Apologetics book you have to help me out!! :)

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe this is valid. I have seen a slippage in the comments posted in this forum and I also believe that the regular posters to this forum are better than this. This is our forum and all who care about having a place to debate in good order and respect should be about trying to keep this on high ground. Thank you for your help.

Blessings

Upvote 0
I have left other forums because I thought the behavior of the people there was despicable. I think people are rude to each other more often in forums than in real life because they are not face to face with one another. They don't have the guts to say the same things in real life. It's easier to dehumanize people because the insulter often sees the people they're attacking as just another username on the computer screen.

There are places in here that I generally stay out of because I find it too draining to bother. I think some people come here just to get a rise out of us, and get us (Christians) worked up. When we get worked up and react to the nasty things they say, they conveniently think, "Oh, look! A hypocrite! Just like I expected!" Then they use our reactions against us, as an excuse to discredit Christ and Christianity. Some people have the mindset that Christianity is wrong no matter what support is given for it.

Some of the people who "diss" Christianity may say that we have no support for what we believe. However, I think they are trying to hide that they cannot support what they believe. They will go around and around, trying to destroy the foundations of the beliefs of Christians lest they start to become convinced of anything about Jesus that you tell them. The key is not get caught up into their confusion.

By the way, it is not acceptable for non-Christians OR Christians to be rude. No one should be above the rules.

Atheists: God still loves you! Go to Him, He will give you rest. (Matthew 11:29-30)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Erwin

May 13, 2015
✟216,037.00
Hi all - rudeness is unacceptable, but some people are rude without meaning too, while others are just plain mean.

Our rules should screen out the worst offenders, especially Rule #1:

1) You will not post any messages that harrass, insult, belittle, threaten or flame another member or guest. You may discuss another member's beliefs but there will be no personal attacks on the member himself or herself.

If someone has been rude to you, report the post, and one of the mods will deal with it.

I want to thank the majority of members for behaving politely and in a civil manner - you make this place the community that it is. :)

Upvote 0
*ahem*

lol

What is the deal here?

I think people take these boards way too seriously.

Why would it matter what some faceless entity in cyberspace says to you or about you?

You don't know them.

You'll never meet them.

They are nothing to you. :scratch:

:angel:

Upvote 0

David Gould

May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Originally posted by Cephalic Carnage
Are you certain?

Cephalic,

I think that you do not need to be rude in order to tell someone that in your opinion it is no longer worth discussing the particular issue with them.

That leaves open the possibility of discussing other issues with them and makes the whole experience more enjoyable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

David Gould

May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Originally posted by Destiny's Angel
*ahem*

lol

What is the deal here?

I think people take these boards way too seriously.

Why would it matter what some faceless entity in cyberspace says to you or about you?

You don't know them.

You'll never meet them.

They are nothing to you. :scratch:

That is your opinion, of course. The people on this board are not 'nothing' to me. I interact with them nearly every day because I want to and enjoy it. I for one do not want to have an enjoyable experience turn into a non-enjoyable one.

I don't 'know' them in many ways but in a lot of ways I 'know' them more than I do people in the office next door - we do not discuss the deep things of beliefs, philosophy, science and so on that often with the people in the office next door.

I email people I do not not 'know' everyday for my work and privately. That does not give me the excuse to treat them badly.

Why would it matter what some faced entity in your office said about you?

Answer: it would make your day less pleasant.

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Destiny angel, if they're nothing to us, then we (for example) wouldn't get mad would we? :)

but i agree partly with your line of thought, it's so much different facing anger here than in "real life". At least once i log off, i don't have to face that person again, so true, why rude to each other when there's no point in doing so.

Upvote 0

Brimshack

Mar 23, 2002
Arizona
✟12,010.00
Faith
Atheist
It just occured to me that you can't ask a rhetorical question around here without getting a dozen answers. I was trying to think of a good one myself (somebody just shoot me), but I guess the real point is to let us know that you object to the way you have been treated lately, am I right Lana? You've taken an unwarranted beating or two on a couple of threads lately. I don't remember, but if I've contributed in any way, then I apologize. I hope things are more to your liking in the near future.

Upvote 0
LOL

You don't know me at all, sweetie.

I'm very close to a sociopath.

Someone being rude to me doesn't effect me in the least unless I know them and like them.

Otherwise, I just take it all in stride and let them get on about thier merrily rude ways. Whatever happened in thier life to make them into a jackass is not my problem and I won't let it effect me in a negative way.

People let the little things get to them too much.

It's not that big of a deal.

Then again, i am but one in a sea of humanity.......and I know that my opinion differs greatly with others.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.