LDS Why mormons believe angels are less than gods?

revybub

Just here to grow, learn, give council, love God
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2020
Michigan
✟200,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why mormons believe angels are less than gods? Isn't God angel? For if they have wings they are above than them that don't have wings. In old testament is said that God have wings. Only angels have wings.
God isn't an Angel. Angels are the children of God so to speak. As we are.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Why mormons believe angels are less than gods? Isn't God angel? For if they have wings they are above than them that don't have wings. In old testament is said that God have wings. Only angels have wings.

God is not an angel. God created all things including angels, but He has always existed and was not created.

Psalm 90
1 Lord, you have been our dwelling place
throughout all generations.
2 Before the mountains were born
or you brought forth the whole world,
from everlasting to everlasting you are God.

“He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty…He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou trust…” So promises the Lord in Psalm 91:1 and 4. What does God mean by the statement “under His wings”? Of course, we know that this is a symbolical language, because God does not have wings. Some think that this has reference to the way the mother hen shelters and protects her brood. You will remember that Jesus used a similar comparison when He said, “How oft would I have gathered you, as a hen gathers her chickens under her wings, and you would not.”
The Protection of God | Articles | Moody Church Media

If you are meeting with Mormons, tell them to go away. They will never go away unless you tell them to leave you and they always try to confuse you. I know what they teach and what they do. I became a Mormon before I graduated from High School and stayed in that religion for years until I started reading my Bible. No one in my family was a Christian. I've studied Mormonism for more than 50 years.

I'm glad you are here asking questions.

• Winner
Reactions: revybub
Upvote 0

revybub

Just here to grow, learn, give council, love God
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2020
Michigan
✟200,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God is not an angel. God created all things including angels, but He has always existed and was not created.

Psalm 90
1 Lord, you have been our dwelling place
throughout all generations.
2 Before the mountains were born
or you brought forth the whole world,
from everlasting to everlasting you are God.

“He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty…He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou trust…” So promises the Lord in Psalm 91:1 and 4. What does God mean by the statement “under His wings”? Of course, we know that this is a symbolical language, because God does not have wings. Some think that this has reference to the way the mother hen shelters and protects her brood. You will remember that Jesus used a similar comparison when He said, “How oft would I have gathered you, as a hen gathers her chickens under her wings, and you would not.”
The Protection of God | Articles | Moody Church Media

If you are meeting with Mormons, tell them to go away. They will never go away unless you tell them to leave you and they always try to confuse you. I know what they teach and what they do. I became a Mormon before I graduated from High School and stayed in that religion for years until I started reading my Bible. No one in my family was a Christian. I've studied Mormonism for more than 50 years.

I'm glad you are here asking questions.
This!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My question is why mormons believe saints (according to them - gods) are above the angels?
They don't believe that.They believe that all who accept Mormonism are saints, but not saints as defined by Catholics or Eastern Orthodox. Latter-day Saints are the true Christians, in their opinion.

Their church, they believe, is the only true church:

President Gordon B. Hinckley has said: “It should be recognized that this church is not a social club. This is the kingdom of God in the earth. It is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Its purpose is to bring salvation and exaltation to both the living and the dead” (Ensign, May 1990, p. 97).

In 1991 Elder Howard W. Hunter said: “We represent and speak today for a worldwide church, the organized and established kingdom of God on earth” (Ensign, May 1991, p. 65).

What do we mean by the terms ‘kingdom of God’ and ‘kingdom of heaven’?

Some LDS are adulterers, liars, thieves, etc. They are still Latter-day Saints unless they are ex-communicated.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
They don't believe that.They believe that all who accept Mormonism are saints, but not saints as defined by Catholics or Eastern Orthodox. Latter-day Saints are the true Christians, in their opinion.

Their church, they believe, is the only true church:

President Gordon B. Hinckley has said: “It should be recognized that this church is not a social club. This is the kingdom of God in the earth. It is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Its purpose is to bring salvation and exaltation to both the living and the dead” (Ensign, May 1990, p. 97).

In 1991 Elder Howard W. Hunter said: “We represent and speak today for a worldwide church, the organized and established kingdom of God on earth” (Ensign, May 1991, p. 65).

What do we mean by the terms ‘kingdom of God’ and ‘kingdom of heaven’?

Some LDS are adulterers, liars, thieves, etc. They are still Latter-day Saints unless they are ex-communicated.
You said: "Some LDS are adulterers, liars, thieves, etc. They are still Latter-day Saints unless they are ex-communicated."

The same is true of any denomination. Being a member of one church or another is NOT what saves anyone. It is obedience that saves:

(New Testament | Hebrews 5:9)

9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Angels in Mormonism seem to be just superpowered humans who are castrated.
(Guide to the Scriptures | A Angels:Entry)

ANGELS

There are two kinds of beings in heaven who are called angels: those who are spirits and those who have bodies of flesh and bone. Angels who are spirits have not yet obtained a body of flesh and bone, or they are spirits who have once had a mortal body and are awaiting resurrection. Angels who have bodies of flesh and bone have either been resurrected from the dead or translated.

There are many references in scripture to the work of angels. Sometimes angels speak with a voice of thunder as they deliver God's messages (Mosiah 27:11–16). Righteous mortal men may also be called angels (JST, Gen. 19:15). Some angels serve around the throne of God in heaven (Alma 36:22).

The scriptures also speak of the devil's angels. These are those spirits who followed Lucifer and were thrust out of God's presence in the premortal life and cast down to the earth (Rev. 12:1–9; 2 Ne. 9:9, 16; D&C 29:36–37).

Jacob saw angels of God ascending and descending, Gen. 28:12. Angels of God met Jacob, Gen. 32:1–2. Gideon saw an angel of the Lord face to face, Judg. 6:22. An angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, 2 Sam. 24:16. An angel touched Elijah and said to him, Arise and eat, 1 Kgs. 19:5–7. Daniel saw the angel Gabriel in a vision, Dan. 8:15–16. The angel Michael helped Daniel, Dan. 10:13. The angel Gabriel was sent from God, Luke 1:19, 26–27. The devil's angels will be reserved in chains unto the judgment, Jude 1:6 (2 Pet. 2:4). People saw angels descending out of heaven, 3 Ne. 17:24. Moroni wrote about the ministering of angels, Moro. 7:25–32. The Aaronic Priesthood holds the keys of the ministering of angels, D&C 13. Moroni, John the Baptist, Peter, James, John, Moses, Elijah, and Elias all ministered to Joseph Smith as angels, D&C 27:5–12. Ye are not able to abide the ministering of angels, D&C 67:13. Michael, the archangel, is Adam, D&C 107:54. Angels are resurrected personages, having bodies of flesh and bones, D&C 129. There are no angels who minister to this earth but those who belong to it, D&C 130:5. Men who do not obey God's law of eternal marriage neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, D&C 132:16–17.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,767.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
(Guide to the Scriptures | A Angels:Entry)

ANGELS

There are two kinds of beings in heaven who are called angels: those who are spirits and those who have bodies of flesh and bone. Angels who are spirits have not yet obtained a body of flesh and bone, or they are spirits who have once had a mortal body and are awaiting resurrection. Angels who have bodies of flesh and bone have either been resurrected from the dead or translated.

There are many references in scripture to the work of angels. Sometimes angels speak with a voice of thunder as they deliver God's messages (Mosiah 27:11–16). Righteous mortal men may also be called angels (JST, Gen. 19:15). Some angels serve around the throne of God in heaven (Alma 36:22).

The scriptures also speak of the devil's angels. These are those spirits who followed Lucifer and were thrust out of God's presence in the premortal life and cast down to the earth (Rev. 12:1–9; 2 Ne. 9:9, 16; D&C 29:36–37).

Jacob saw angels of God ascending and descending, Gen. 28:12. Angels of God met Jacob, Gen. 32:1–2. Gideon saw an angel of the Lord face to face, Judg. 6:22. An angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, 2 Sam. 24:16. An angel touched Elijah and said to him, Arise and eat, 1 Kgs. 19:5–7. Daniel saw the angel Gabriel in a vision, Dan. 8:15–16. The angel Michael helped Daniel, Dan. 10:13. The angel Gabriel was sent from God, Luke 1:19, 26–27. The devil's angels will be reserved in chains unto the judgment, Jude 1:6 (2 Pet. 2:4). People saw angels descending out of heaven, 3 Ne. 17:24. Moroni wrote about the ministering of angels, Moro. 7:25–32. The Aaronic Priesthood holds the keys of the ministering of angels, D&C 13. Moroni, John the Baptist, Peter, James, John, Moses, Elijah, and Elias all ministered to Joseph Smith as angels, D&C 27:5–12. Ye are not able to abide the ministering of angels, D&C 67:13. Michael, the archangel, is Adam, D&C 107:54. Angels are resurrected personages, having bodies of flesh and bones, D&C 129. There are no angels who minister to this earth but those who belong to it, D&C 130:5. Men who do not obey God's law of eternal marriage neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, D&C 132:16–17.

Thanks for the additional information to my accurate description of Mormon Angels.

The last part has me curious. Are there women angels?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the additional information to my accurate description of Mormon Angels.

Angels are not Mormon or any other denomination. Angels were created by God, God alone is eternal.

1Ti 6:15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;
1Ti 6:16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

No created being has immortality. God grants eternal life to those who follow Him. And angels are eternal as long as they stay with God. The fallen angels will be destroyed at the end. Sin will not live in the presence of God and they will die after the judgment.

Eze 28:15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
Eze 28:16 By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.
Eze 28:17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.
Eze 28:18 Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.
Eze 28:19 All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more.

Angels are not castrated. They were never created with the ability to reproduce. In the resurrection, the saints do not marry. We will not have sex. The angels do not have sex. Angels were created as messengers, that is what their name means, they are messengers of God. All of them that are mentioned in scripture have male names.
Mar_12:25 For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.

There will be many children in heaven, however, for there are billions of them that died in their innocence, and all the aborted and miscarried babies. But apparently no new ones. Angels have different categories. There are some with 2 wings, and there are those with 6 wings. Scripture doesn't say if there are some without wings. Isaiah is the only place where seraphim are mentioned. Cherubims are more frequently mentioned and were above the mercy seat in the tabernacle which is a copy of the heavenly temple. They had 2 wings.

Isa_6:2 Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.

1Ki 6:22 And the whole house he overlaid with gold, until he had finished all the house: also the whole altar that was by the oracle he overlaid with gold.
1Ki 6:23 And within the oracle he made two cherubims of olive tree, each ten cubits high.
1Ki 6:24 And five cubits was the one wing of the cherub, and five cubits the other wing of the cherub: from the uttermost part of the one wing unto the uttermost part of the other were ten cubits.

We do not become an gels. Angels do not become human. Angels have the ability to app[ear human, and anything else, like animals. Satan looked like a snake when he tempted Eve, but they do not become that animal. They can only posses their bodies, they can not become them.
We are created lower than the angels. Jesus had to become lower than the angels He creat4d in order to become human and save us. As they are not able to reproduce, all that talk about fallen angels impregnating human women is baloney. God stated we can only reproduce after our own kind, angels are not our kind.

Heb_2:7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:
Heb_2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

Mormon interpretation of scripture is based solely on what Joseph Smith said and there is no truth in their belief of what angels are or can do. Their believes of angels, and other things do not conform to scriptures. You are free, however, to believe what you will. This is what scripture says---anything else, simply can not be supported with scripture.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

You mean your inaccurate description. Where did you come up with castrated? Yes I do believe in women angels.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,767.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You mean your inaccurate description. Where did you come up with castrated? Yes I do believe in women angels.

Is there a better term for it, since they are unable to reproduce? If they aren't castrated and still retain their human bodies, presumably they have the means of reproduction like the rest of the gods do.

Unless the universe makes them sterile.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Is there a better term for it, since they are unable to reproduce? If they aren't castrated and still retain their human bodies, presumably they have the means of reproduction like the rest of the gods do.

God created them for a purpose as messengers, They are simply asexual and can not reproduce. You have to dig for Mormon thinking about them. The do not divulge easily. They have conflicting theories. But we are spirits in heaven before we are born. We have to become human in order to learn how top be faithful to God. Those that don't learn become angels and can not reproduce--those that do learn go to one of several heavens the highest one of which has them with many wives with which they repopulate their own planet and then have to send another Jesus to save them. They believe God was human and became God through His own efforts and so can we. They believe that The Father was once a type of Jesus who gave His life for the People of His planet and that is why Jesus gave His life for us, because He had seen His Father do it. Jesus is just one of the Father's sons, but He is the only One that was sinless and He learned, through His trials on earth, to be God. None of those believes are found in the bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

I believe that spirits are not capable of reproduction. That being said using the term castration, which is not the same thing, for sensationalism is improper. Castration can be a very painful process. The inability to reproduce is a different mater.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,767.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe that spirits are not capable of reproduction. That being said using the term castration, which is not the same thing, for sensationalism is improper. Castration can be a very painful process. The inability to reproduce is a different mater.
Angels proper in Mormonism have physical bodies right? Or at least they will at a certain point in time. Does the universe make them sterile or something upon resurrection? Because I presume with their bodies resurrected they retain all the same functions of those body parts. Like Heavenly Father likely retains his bodily functions.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Angels proper in Mormonism have physical bodies right? Or at least they will at a certain point in time. Does the universe make them sterile or something upon resurrection? Because I presume with their bodies resurrected they retain all the same functions of those body parts. Like Heavenly Father likely retains his bodily functions.
You are asking questions beyond our scope of understanding. We do believe that spirits consist of matter and resurrected bodies are much superior to our earthly bodies. As far as reproduction goes there is very little information on that subject.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,767.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You are asking questions beyond our scope of understanding. We do believe that spirits consist of matter and resurrected bodies are much superior to our earthly bodies. As far as reproduction goes there is very little information on that subject.
But you believe as per Mormonism, that Angels aren't allowed to be married and continue to perpetuate throughout eternity like the rest of the gods are right? If you object to the language of Castration as being too colourful a description, I understand, but it wasn't exactly literal.

It was more to point out the Angels role throughout eternity in Mormonism. They aren't like the rest of the gods who have spirit children.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
But you believe as per Mormonism, that Angels aren't allowed to be married and continue to perpetuate throughout eternity like the rest of the gods are right? If you object to the language of Castration as being too colourful a description, I understand, but it wasn't exactly literal.

It was more to point out the Angels role throughout eternity in Mormonism. They aren't like the rest of the gods who have spirit children.
There are some resurrected angels that are similar to or equal to God. The angels that are not yet resurrected do not have the same body.

Upvote 0