Status
Not open for further replies.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I could not in this explanation find a good understanding why the "Behold Thy Mother" should be central in that context. Can you maybe restate the explanation?

Can any of the catholics here confirm? Is this really what (all) catholics believe, that Mary is some sort of "queen of heaven"?

I think you might find this helpful - Queen of Heaven - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

PeterDona

Supporter
Jan 13, 2010
Denmark
✟348,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I will post this video discussing some of the errors that happened as was created the "catholic" (common) church in the time of Constantine. I will say, that the protestant church is not without error either. The protestant church has deviated from the 7th commandment allowing divorce and remarriage, which is clearly forbidden in scripture, so they/we are no better, and I am not making a case for protestantism here.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I will post this video discussing some of the errors that happened as was created the "catholic" (common) church in the time of Constantine. I will say, that the protestant church is not without error either. The protestant church has deviated from the 7th commandment allowing divorce and remarriage, which is clearly forbidden in scripture, so they/we are no better, and I am not making a case for protestantism here.

Not all Protestant denominations endorse divorce and remarriage nor do all turn a blind eye to homosexuality in their clergy. It is far to easy to stereotype either side in this discussion.

Reactions: PeterDona
Upvote 0

HisBody

Oct 12, 2017
California
✟10,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not all Protestant denominations endorse divorce and remarriage nor do all turn a blind eye to homosexuality in their clergy. It is far to easy to stereotype either side in this discussion.
No - the differences are wide and varied:

- Some Protestant denominations believe in baptismal regeneration, while others do not.
- Some believe in soul-sleep, while others do not.
- Some believe in the total depravity of man, while others do not.
- Some believe in the Holy Trinity, while others do not.
- Some believe in doctrine of “once saved, always saved”, while others do not.
- Some believe in a pre-tribulation “Rapture”, while others do not.
- Some believe that only those who were predestined will make it to heaven, while others do not.
- Some believe that some were predestined for hell, while others do not.
- Some believe in a woman’s right to choose abortion, while others do not.
- Some believe that practicing homosexuality is a sin, while others do not.
- Most believe in contraception, while others do not – and the list goes on . . .

ALL
of them claim to have the "truth."
WHO
is right and WHO is wrong??

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
No - the differences are wide and varied:

- Some Protestant denominations believe in baptismal regeneration, while others do not.
- Some believe in soul-sleep, while others do not.
- Some believe in the total depravity of man, while others do not.
- Some believe in the Holy Trinity, while others do not.
- Some believe in doctrine of “once saved, always saved”, while others do not.
- Some believe in a pre-tribulation “Rapture”, while others do not.
- Some believe that only those who were predestined will make it to heaven, while others do not.
- Some believe that some were predestined for hell, while others do not.
- Some believe in a woman’s right to choose abortion, while others do not.
- Some believe that practicing homosexuality is a sin, while others do not.
- Most believe in contraception, while others do not – and the list goes on . . .

ALL
of them claim to have the "truth."
WHO

Thank you for helping me make my point, which was that one ought not to stereotype Protestant beliefs. They are not uniform, as you have pointed out.

That said, one ought also to take care not to stereotype Catholics either. As is evident here at CF, there is a surprising diversity among the Catholic posters.

Upvote 0

HisBody

Oct 12, 2017
California
✟10,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for helping me make my point, which was that one ought not to stereotype Protestant beliefs. They are not uniform, as you have pointed out.

That said, one ought also to take care not to stereotype Catholics either. As is evident here at CF, there is a surprising diversity among the Catholic posters.
But NOT Catholic doctrine.

Those who espouse different doctrines while claiming to be Catholic are either dissidents,Protestants or apostates.

So, you see - you CAN lump Catholic beliefs into one large pile.

Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

7-b.....You didn't answer HisBody's questions.

ALL of them claim to have the "truth."
WHO

I too would be very interested in hearing your explination.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have finally finished my college project, however I won't be able to respond to anyone's arguments for awhile. The reason for this is:

1. I have fallen into a state of mortal sin, and so I need wait until I have returned to a state of grace before responding. We are not saved by works alone.

Domine Iesu Christi, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris!

2. Many of you may have heard of a plebiscite happening in Australia, in which they are trying to redefine Holy Matrimony. I have started up a Rosary Crusade with fellow Catholics (See here, but do not vandalize! Rosary Crusade for Australian Plebiscite) in effort to defend marriage. I have decided to focus on that Rosary Crusade for the plebiscite, until November 7th, when the plebiscite ends.

So wait until November 7th, I'll be back then, or at the very least, the day after.
Farewell.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
But NOT Catholic doctrine.

Those who espouse different doctrines while claiming to be Catholic are either dissidents,Protestants or apostates.

So, you see - you CAN lump Catholic beliefs into one large pile.

Yes and no. Many Catholic doctrines are addressed in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, but many are not. For example, the doctrine of Purgatory is mentioned, but not defined, leaving the door wide open to a huge range of beliefs within the Catholic Church.

BTW, I am unaware of any Christian body which claims to adhere to the Catechism of the Catholic Church other than the Catholic Church. I am pleased to know that Eastern Orthodox Christians seem to espouse the same doctrines as found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, although I rather think they might take umbrage with you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
7-b.....You didn't answer HisBody's questions.

I too would be very interested in hearing your explination.

Very well. None are right, but none are wrong, either. Although some claim to be infallibly correct on every jot and tittle of Christian doctrine they are either exceptionally deluded or exceptionally deceptive. All Christian bodies contain Christian truth, but, because they are composed of fallible mortals (despite the claims of some) they have all wandered in various ways from perfect truth.

Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Very well. None are right, but none are wrong, either. Although some claim to be infallibly correct on every jot and tittle of Christian doctrine they are either exceptionally deluded or exceptionally deceptive. All Christian bodies contain Christian truth, but, because they are composed of fallible mortals (despite the claims of some) they have all wandered in various ways from perfect truth.

That’s what I mean. If Sola Scriptura is fine and the Bible is perfectly clear, then why do all the different Protestant groups come up with such different interpretations that they have to split up all the time?

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
That’s what I mean. If Sola Scriptura is fine and the Bible is perfectly clear, then why do all the different Protestant groups come up with such different interpretations that they have to split up all the time?

You could ask a similar question regarding the Roman Catholic Church. If the Pope and the Magisterium of the Catholic Church are perfectly clear, why is there so much diversity today within Catholicism? Even on a relatively simple doctrine like Purgatory there is no agreement.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm currently waiting for the results of Australian Plebiscite. Once I've seen, and either celebrated or mounted the results of the Australian Plebiscite, I'll return here and we'll finish this.

In the meantime, check-out this video on the Holy Rosary:

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I dare say that almost no Protestant denomination in this day and age fails to allow divorce and remarriage. I recall one specific example. A United Methodist friend of mine was marrying a divorced woman who came from a very small Fundamentalist group. Her pastor refused to perform the marriage ceremony, as she was divorced. However, after the wedding, the congregation still accepted the woman. She was apparently not excommunicated. I was never told that she lost her local church membership. My friend attended services with her at her church many times. Hence, for all practical purposes, her group still accepted divorce and remarriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I dare say that almost no Protestant denomination in this day and age fails to allow divorce and remarriage. I recall one specific example. A United Methodist friend of mine was marrying a divorced woman who came from a very small Fundamentalist group. Her pastor refused to perform the marriage ceremony, as she was divorced. However, after the wedding, the congregation still accepted the woman. She was apparently not excommunicated. I was never told that she lost her local church membership. My friend attended services with her at her church many times. Hence, for all practical purposes, her group still accepted divorce and remarriage.

That is a sad, but all too frequent, example of the inroads of popular culture into the church. I could also cite examples of marital infidelity within other denominations which, although not resulting in divorce, were winked at because the individuals involved were too influential to excommunicate.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'd really love to stay and continue this debate, and I probably will start up a new thread sometime in the future. But unfortunately I'm going through a lot of issues in my life right now, and I have decided to take a break from CF.

I still repeat my argument that the only logical explanation for Jesus, right in the middle of His sacrifice, the most Holy Act in all of history, the Act from all grace flows, to just out of nowhere say "behold thy Mother," the only logical explanation for that is that He means that Mary is our Mother. Make up excuses you want to shout "NO!" Right in Jesus' face you are wrong.

Farewell..

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'd really love to stay and continue this debate, and I probably will start up a new thread sometime in the future. But unfortunately I'm going through a lot of issues in my life right now, and I have decided to take a break from CF.

I still repeat my argument that the only logical explanation for Jesus, right in the middle of His sacrifice, the most Holy Act in all of history, the Act from all grace flows, to just out of nowhere say "behold thy Mother," the only logical explanation for that is that He means that Mary is our Mother. Make up excuses you want to shout "NO!" Right in Jesus' face you are wrong.

Farewell..

I wish you success in sorting things out and hope to see you back before too long.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.