Why many native speakers can't pronounce "Nuclear" properly?

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,208.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I hear it all too often in youtube videos especially American ones. Why can't they pronounce nuclear as just nu-clear instead of the ear grading nu-cu-lar. The word "clear" is in the spelling for the love of the Lord Almighty. Pronounce NU + CLEAR it is that simple.

English is my second language and the second most widely spoken in my country. And let me say I have never heard a single Malaysian pronounce it as nu-cu-lar. It is all nu-clear.

Baffles me to no end.

• Agree
Reactions: LeGato

LeGato

LCMS/Crypto-Amish
Nov 17, 2021
Neuschwabenland
✟14,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I hear it all too often in youtube videos especially American ones. Why can't they pronounce nuclear as just nu-clear instead of the ear grading nu-cu-lar. The word "clear" is in the spelling for the love of the Lord Almighty. Pronounce NU + CLEAR it is that simple.

English is my second language and the second most widely spoken in my country. And let me say I have never heard a single Malaysian pronounce it as nu-cu-lar. It is all nu-clear.

Baffles me to no end.

New-Clee-Err
Is that it?

• Haha
Reactions: IceJad
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Baffles me to no end.

Well my my California dialect pronounces it as, "Nuke-lear" :)

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It is nu-kle-ar if you want to break it down. cle is pronounce as kle. Not nuk-le-ar
Take it from a native English speaker. Unless you want to be embarrassed in conversation with one.

• Agree
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Here's linguist Geoff Nunberg's take on it at the Language Log blog hosted at the University of Pennsylvania. While it's written in response to Stephen Pinker's article concerning Sarah Palin's speech patterns in particular, I think he makes a few points that are also applicable more generally.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quasiblogo

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Continental U.S.
✟971,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wyatt, it is NUH-clay-aw, in the deep South. They-aw you have it.

Juss ask President Jimmy Carter, if you are so predisposed to disagree--he having been a sahpurb submarine commander? (Do notice how my declarative suggestion sounds interrogatory in naytchuh).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Baffles me to no end.

Its a legitimate difference in dialect. It is not that people from some regions of the US pronounce it incorrectly, rather, it is specific to their accent. Just like how most English people pronounce “China” as “Chiner” and Dinner as “Dinnah” (a dialect feature called Rhoticity, which also features in some American accents of Boston, New York and the South).

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,410.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Its a legitimate difference in dialect. It is not that people from some regions of the US pronounce it incorrectly, rather, it is specific to their accent. Just like how most English people pronounce “China” as “Chiner” and Dinner as “Dinnah” (a dialect feature called Rhoticity, which also features in some American accents of Boston, New York and the South).
You're right.

"New- cue - lar" is a legitimate dialect variation within the US - but, Gee, it's irritating to those of us who speak proper English. :rolleyes:

What makes it worse is the US propensity to pronounce 'new' as 'noo' and deliberately pronounce the final 'R'. (Americans tend to have big Rs while the rest of us have little 'Rs". ;))

In proper (Australian) English, 'nuclear' is pronounced 'n-you-clee-ah' (no final 'R' sound)

In Americanese it gets twisted up into 'noo-cue-larr' (the 'R' is pronounced).

OB

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What makes it worse is the US propensity to pronounce 'new' as 'noo' and deliberately pronounce the final 'R'. (Americans tend to have big Rs while the rest of us have little 'Rs". ;))

In proper (Australian) English, 'nuclear' is pronounced 'n-you-clee-ah' (no final 'R' sound)

In Americanese it gets twisted up into 'noo-cue-larr' (the 'R' is pronounced).

OB

I don't have a copy of Labov, Ash, and Boberg's Atlas of North American English to back this up with (since I never focused on English dialects in my academic studies), but even then I'm pretty sure that any standard reference work which you can find on this topic will mention that non-rhotic dialects (ones where the R is dropped) in North America are pretty much isolated to parts of New England and New York.

So in an 'Americanese' context, it is the speakers of non-rhotic dialects who would be seen by the majority as not speaking "proper English".

And I refuse to take anything that Australians say about other varieties of English the least bit seriously while it is still considered acceptable in your country for adults who are not speaking to toddlers to use diminutives for everything in day to day speech. No, I'm not having brekkie while watching the telly, and I can't say that I've ever enjoyed a choccy biccy or however you'd say that, because I'm too busy using my adult words like "breakfast", "television", and "chocolate chip cookie". It may take half a second longer to say these things, but it is worth it.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,410.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I don't have a copy of Labov, Ash, and Boberg's Atlas of North American English to back this up with (since I never focused on English dialects in my academic studies), but even then I'm pretty sure that any standard reference work which you can find on this topic will mention that non-rhotic dialects (ones where the R is dropped) in North America are pretty much isolated to parts of New England and New York.

So in an 'Americanese' context, it is the speakers of non-rhotic dialects who would be seen by the majority as not speaking "proper English".

And I refuse to take anything that Australians say about other varieties of English the least bit seriously while it is still considered acceptable in your country for adults who are not speaking to toddlers to use diminutives for everything in day to day speech. No, I'm not having brekkie while watching the telly, and I can't say that I've ever enjoyed a choccy biccy or however you'd say that, because I'm too busy using my adult words like "breakfast", "television", and "chocolate chip cookie". It may take half a second longer to say these things, but it is worth it.

Most people don't realise that Australian English is one of the more efficient variations of English. By selectively shortening words we have achieved an incredibly high rate of "information per syllable". There is a suggestion that Australian English be adopted for international military communications based on this 'data per syllable' efficiency along with its inaccessibility to non-English speakers.

(I have an ancient minor in Linguistics and recall reading Labov, Chomsky and Sapir many years ago. I currently have a copy of Wolfram and Schilling on "American English-Dialects and Variation" sitting on my desk. I am an unrepentant word nerd and Spelling Nazi with a casual interest in the history and etymology of English.)

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
irritating to those of us who speak proper English.

The US dialects are as proper as any other dialect. I could go on at length about the Australian vowel shift if we were to argue about propriety, but I won’t, since I enjoy both the American accents and the Australian accents.

What I dislike is the increasing disappearance of regional accents in the UK and North America. Canadians should not sound like Californians, nor should Texans sound like Nevadans, nor should Mancunians, Brummies, or Geordies sound like Londoners or Anglians. For that matter, the differences between the dialects of Australia and New Zealand and the Falklands must be guarded zealously.

Upvote 0