Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Why Kanye West’s Political Stand Matters More Than Taylor Swift’s | The Federalist

No one has to like Kanye’s music or agree with his political views. As a general rule, I don’t care what any celebrity thinks about current events or policy.

But as things have become uglier in the public square, disagreeing with socially sanctioned views becomes harder both for public officials and everyday people. Fewer people are likely to raise their hands and identify themselves as dissenters, lest they be hounded out of restaurants or doxed. But Kanye is.

Through his actions, Kanye is modeling courage. He’s creating more space for all of us to hold and voice unpopular positions. For that, I am grateful
.​

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Why Kanye West’s Political Stand Matters More Than Taylor Swift’s
Interesting how being right/wrong matters less than being popular/unpopular. I guess thats the world we live in now.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You think you are right. And, I think I am right. (That doesn't make either of us "correct.")
Is the proper thing that one of us has to be considered correct, and listened to, but not the other? Or that we both should be able to rationally speak and be heard by all?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You think you are right. And, I think I am right.
No, see, I don't necessarily think I'm right. I could be mistaken or wrong or missing pieces of the puzzle. This is why I like to hear opposing views - not misstatements of what I supposedly think and do.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Why Kanye West’s Political Stand Matters More Than Taylor Swift’s | The Federalist

No one has to like Kanye’s music or agree with his political views. As a general rule, I don’t care what any celebrity thinks about current events or policy.

But as things have become uglier in the public square, disagreeing with socially sanctioned views becomes harder both for public officials and everyday people. Fewer people are likely to raise their hands and identify themselves as dissenters, lest they be hounded out of restaurants or doxed. But Kanye is.

Through his actions, Kanye is modeling courage. He’s creating more space for all of us to hold and voice unpopular positions. For that, I am grateful
.​

And Taylor Swift is not doing this because....?

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Does that person have any less right to an opinion than others do?
Its not about them. Its about us. Who do we devote our valuable attention to.

Which reminds me..... what the ___ am I doing here on Saturday morning??? I'm going for a bike ride!

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, see, I don't necessarily think I'm right. I could be mistaken or wrong or missing pieces of the puzzle. This is why I like to hear opposing views - not misstatements of what I supposedly think and do.
Was that directed to you? No, it was obviously a general statement about all of us. (If we thought we were wrong, and defended that, we would REALLY have mental problems.)

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
lol

It's only "courageous" because she's on Kanye's side. Other Federalist writers are opining that Hollywood types ought not tick off the people who pay their mortgages:

http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/25/will-hollywoods-rabid-anti-trumpism-send-way-dixie-chicks/

2015_HomePage_BG_Pic_WithBlackHeader.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,615.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Just a reminder about the point of the OP:

Through his actions, Kanye is modeling courage. He’s creating more space for all of us to hold and voice unpopular positions. For that, I am grateful.​
And Taylor Swift isn't doing that because? Remember she's a country musician, a genre that has many many Trump supporters.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
And Taylor Swift isn't doing that because? Remember she's a country musician, a genre that has many many Trump supporters.
Correction ...

Taylor Swift WAS a country singer. Over the past few years she has moved to exclusively Pop/Rock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Just a reminder about the point of the OP:

Through his actions, Kanye is modeling courage. He’s creating more space for all of us to hold and voice unpopular positions. For that, I am grateful.​

Kanye is modeling self-promotion.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Was that directed to you? No, it was obviously a general statement about all of us.
Since I am one of us, it is also about me.

(If we thought we were wrong, and defended that, we would REALLY have mental problems.)
People, quite sane people, do that all the time, perhaps out of "team loyalty", but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about uncertainty - I think some position is probably right and lay out the reasons but I'm willing to hear why I may be wrong and reconsider my position.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,560.00
Faith
Pentecostal
lol

It's only "courageous" because she's on Kanye's side. Other Federalist writers are opining that Hollywood types ought not tick off the people who pay their mortgages:

http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/25/will-hollywoods-rabid-anti-trumpism-send-way-dixie-chicks/

2015_HomePage_BG_Pic_WithBlackHeader.jpg

Bottom line is as an entertainer you have a right to your opinion. But they shouldn't be surprised or frustrated when people don't like their opinion and stop buying their music or going to their movies. Just like if we don't like the policies of a business we don't have to shop there. It's a free country.

There is courage for standing for what you believe in knowing there may be consequences regardless if you are on the right or left.

Upvote 0