Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So many times in these threads I see the claim that the prophecy in Jeremiah 31, that the law that will be written on our hearts, is the OLD Covenant Law of Moses. However, according to the Scriptures, what is written on our hearts is YESHUA'S NEW Covenant, not the Old.

Jeremiah 31:31-34
The New Covenant
31 “Behold, the days are coming, declares the L-rd, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the L-rd. 33 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the L-rd: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their G-d, and they shall be my people. 34 And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the L-rd,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the L-rd. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

Verse 31
Behold, the days are coming, declares the L-rd, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,

a) Prophecy about a NEW Covenant which was coming. The Old Covenant and Law were in effect, so this is not speaking of them, but a NEW entity. The days are coming means it was going to happen at a later date. Not referring to what was already in existence and effect.

b) Behold, the days are coming, declares the L-rd, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,

NEW Covenant. Not OLD with new paint. Not renewed. Just NEW.

Verse 32
a) not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the L-rd.

Clear proof text that the NEW Covenant which was coming, was NOT LIKE the Old Covenant Law of Moses made at Sinai. This is irrefutable proof of a new, different NEW Covenant.

b) not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the L-rd.

The Old Covenant of Moses, including the Law, was broken, says G-d. It was never designed to stand on its own, it was only a shadow of what was to come through Yeshua, it was then to pass away as Yeshua gives us His NEW Covenant prophesied here. The Old was broken.

Verse 33
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the L-rd: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their G-d, and they shall be my people.

a) For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the L-rd:

Again, clear proof that "after those days" i.e., to come, in the future and that the Covenant which was broken was the one in existence and effect, AFTER THOSE DAYS, refers to the Mashiach coming to institute the New Covenant in His blood. Luke 22:20

b) I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their G-d, and they shall be my people.

This was only possible by the filling of the Ruach haKodesh, the Holy Spirit of G-d, indwelling us, teaching us Yeshua's commands, His words and His New Covenant. G-d did not EVER write His law on our hearts because the Holy Spirit was not given individually yet, He only was given by Yeshua after His resurrection.

Yeshua told us:
John 14
18“ I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21 Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” 22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, “Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?” 23Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father’s who sent me.

YESHUA'S WORDS AND COMMANDS NOT THE OLD COVENANT LAW and this is G-d's plan for the NEW Covenant, His Words.

25“These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.
HOW Yeshua's NEW Covenant Laws are written on our hearts.

Verse 34
34 And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the L-rd,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the L-rd. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

Again, only possible via the Ruach haKodesh, AFTER Yeshua's ascension and His NEW Covenant. We all will know Him and our sins will be completely wiped out, permanently. That was not possible under the Old Covenant Law of Moses, sin had to be atoned for with blood, over and over again. However, because of Yeshua's sacrifice, once for all and all time, and His NEW Covenant of grace, IF we are truly born again by faith in Yeshua as G-d, forgiven of our sins by His grace, filled with the Holy Spirit, and walk in HIS ways (not the Old Covenant), He remembers our sin no more. That did not happen under the Old Covenant Law of Moses.

As proof of this, Hebrews tells us the blood under the Old Covenant Law was not enough, ONLY Yeshua's sacrifice and His NEW Covenant fulfilled Jeremiah 31:31-34. It was specifically addressed here telling why the Old was simply not enough and not permanent, but only stood until Yeshua came and fulfilled it, giving us His NEW Covenant.

Hebrews 10

For since the law has but a shadow of the good things to come instead of the true form of these realities, it can never, by the same sacrifices that are continually offered every year, make perfect those who draw near. 2 Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered, since the worshipers, having once been cleansed, would no longer have any consciousness of sins? 3 But in these sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. 4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

5 Consequently, when Christ came into the world, he said,

“Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired,
but a body have you prepared for me;
6 in burnt offerings and sin offerings
you have taken no pleasure.
7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come to do your will, O God,
as it is written of me in the scroll of the book.’”

8 When he said above, “You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt offerings and sin offerings” (these are offered according to the law), 9 then he added, “Behold, I have come to do your will.” He does away with the first in order to establish the second. 10 And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

11 And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12 But when Christhad offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, 13 waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. 14 For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

15 And the Holy Spirit also bears witness to us; for after saying,

16 “This is the covenant that I will make with them
after those days, declares the Lord:
I will put my laws on their hearts,
and write them on their minds,”
17 then he adds,

“I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more.”
18 Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer any offering for sin.

Last edited:

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So many times in these threads I see the claim that the law that will be written on our hearts is the OLD Covenant Law of Moses. However, according to the Scriptures, what is written on our hearts is YESHUA'S NEW Covenant, not the Old.

Jeremiah 31:31-34
The New Covenant
31 “Behold, the days are coming, declares the L-rd, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the L-rd. 33 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the L-rd: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their G-d, and they shall be my people. 34 And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the L-rd,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the L-rd. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

Verse 31
Behold, the days are coming, declares the L-rd, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,

a) Prophecy about a NEW Covenant which was coming. The Old Covenant and Law were in effect, so this is not speaking of them, but a NEW entity. The days are coming means it was going to happen at a later date. Not referring to what was already in existence and effect.

b) Behold, the days are coming, declares the L-rd, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,

NEW Covenant. Not OLD with new paint. Not renewed. Just NEW.

Verse 32
a) not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the L-rd.

Clear proof text that the NEW Covenant which was coming, was NOT LIKE the Old Covenant Law of Moses made at Sinai. This is irrefutable proof of a new, different NEW Covenant.

b) not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the L-rd.

The Old Covenant of Moses, including the Law, was broken, says G-d. It was never designed to stand on its own, it was only a shadow of what was to come through Yeshua, it was then to pass away as Yeshua gives us His NEW Covenant prophesied here. The Old was broken.

Verse 33
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the L-rd: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their G-d, and they shall be my people.

a) For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the L-rd:

Again, clear proof that "after those days" i.e., to come, in the future and that the Covenant which was broken was the one in existence and effect, AFTER THOSE DAYS, refers to the Mashiach coming to institute the New Covenant in His blood. Luke 22:20

b) I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their G-d, and they shall be my people.

This was only possible by the filling of the Ruach haKodesh, the Holy Spirit of G-d, indwelling us, teaching us Yeshua's commands, His words and His New Covenant. G-d did not EVER write His law on our hearts because the Holy Spirit was not given individually yet, He only was given by Yeshua after His resurrection.

Yeshua told us:
John 14
18“ I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21 Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” 22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, “Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?” 23Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father’s who sent me.

YESHUA'S WORDS AND COMMANDS NOT THE OLD COVENANT LAW and this is G-d's plan for the NEW Covenant, His Words.

25“These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.
HOW Yeshua's NEW Covenant Laws are written on our hearts.

Verse 34
34 And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the L-rd,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the L-rd. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

Again, only possible via the Ruach haKodesh, AFTER Yeshua's ascension and His NEW Covenant. We all will know Him and our sins will be completely wiped out, permanently. That was not possible under the Old Covenant Law of Moses, sin had to be atoned for with blood, over and over again. However, because of Yeshua's sacrifice, once for all and all time, and His NEW Covenant of grace, IF we are truly born again by faith in Yeshua as G-d, forgiven of our sins by His grace, filled with the Holy Spirit, and walk in HIS ways (not the Old Covenant), He remembers our sin no more. That did not happen under the Old Covenant Law of Moses.

As proof of this, Hebrews tells us the blood under the Old Covenant Law was not enough, ONLY Yeshua's sacrifice and His NEW Covenant fulfilled Jeremiah 31:31-34. It was specifically addressed here telling why the Old was simply not enough and not permanent, but only stood until Yeshua came and fulfilled it, giving us His NEW Covenant.

Hebrews 10

For since the law has but a shadow of the good things to come instead of the true form of these realities, it can never, by the same sacrifices that are continually offered every year, make perfect those who draw near. 2 Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered, since the worshipers, having once been cleansed, would no longer have any consciousness of sins? 3 But in these sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. 4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

5 Consequently, when Christ came into the world, he said,

“Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired,
but a body have you prepared for me;
6 in burnt offerings and sin offerings
you have taken no pleasure.
7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come to do your will, O God,
as it is written of me in the scroll of the book.’”

8 When he said above, “You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt offerings and sin offerings” (these are offered according to the law), 9 then he added, “Behold, I have come to do your will.” He does away with the first in order to establish the second. 10 And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

11 And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12 But when Christhad offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, 13 waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. 14 For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.

15 And the Holy Spirit also bears witness to us; for after saying,

16 “This is the covenant that I will make with them
after those days, declares the Lord:
I will put my laws on their hearts,
and write them on their minds,”
17 then he adds,

“I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more.”
18 Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer any offering for sin.

Excellent post! Those with eyes to see will understand.."?.others, well...”The Gospel is hidden from those that perish” I am happy every time you post! God bless and,of course. “Pray for the peace of Jerusalem”

Upvote 0

FreeAtLast

Messianic Jew
Mar 20, 2008
✟21,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Interesting... seeing Jer. 31:31-34 doesn't mention anyone but Judah and Israel. There are no "gentiles" even mentioned in terms of who the covenant is made with.

Good point for more discussion. Yeshua tells us that HE came to the lost sheep of the House of Israel, but if that were the whole story, no Gentile would be saved today. However, Yeshua fulfilled prophecy and the Scriptures tell us that G-d's plan from the beginning was to allow Gentiles to be His children as well.

Matthew 15:24
He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Jeremiah 50:6
My people have been lost sheep. Their shepherds have led them astray, turning them away on the mountains. From mountain to hill they have gone. They have forgotten their fold.

Paul was an Apostle of Yeshua's New Covenant to the Gentiles.
Acts 28:28
28 Therefore let it be known to you that this salvation of Go-d has been sent to the Gentiles; they will listen.”

Paul tells us that this was G-d's plan to open YESHUA'S NEW COVENANT to the Gentiles.

Romans 9:25-27
As indeed he says in Hosea,

“Those who were not my people I will call ‘my people,’
and her who was not beloved I will call ‘beloved.’”
26 “And in the very place where it was said to them, ‘You are not my people,’
there they will be called ‘sons of the living G-d.’”

Upvote 0

FreeAtLast

Messianic Jew
Mar 20, 2008
✟21,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Interesting... seeing Jer. 31:31-34 doesn't mention anyone but Judah and Israel. There are no "gentiles" even mentioned in terms of who the covenant is made with.

Oh, one more thing, the OLD Covenant Law of Moses was not made with the Gentiles, so the claim that they are the Old Covenant of Moses and the Law are not accurate. Only the NEW Covenant in Yeshua, written on our hearts was for both Jew and Gentile.

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to Romans 11, we Gentiles were grafted in to the Tree.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So many times in these threads I see the claim that the prophecy in Jeremiah 31, that the law that will be written on our hearts, is the OLD Covenant Law of Moses. However, according to the Scriptures, what is written on our hearts is YESHUA'S NEW Covenant, not the Old.
One of the main keys to scriptural interpretation - and one that us Messianics stand by - is how it would have been understood to the ORIGINAL AUDIENCE.

Do you REALLY think that those who read Jeremiah when he wrote that would believe that to be "YESHUA'S NEW Covenant, not the Old?"

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Bible saysBelievers in Jesus are the seed of abraham,in fact the true seed of Abraham.”all the promises of God in him are yea and in him amen.These Old Testament promises are of course are applicable to Gentiles—-if they are Christians

Upvote 0

FreeAtLast

Messianic Jew
Mar 20, 2008
✟21,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One of the main keys to scriptural interpretation - and one that us Messianics stand by - is how it would have been understood to the ORIGINAL AUDIENCE.

Do you REALLY think that those who read Jeremiah when he wrote that would believe that to be "YESHUA'S NEW Covenant, not the Old?"

Look at all the other Messianic prophecies that were not fulfilled until Yeshua fulfilled them. The Jews of the day had no knowledge of the fulfillment that was to come, but WE do. The same with Jeremiah.
Yeshua fulfilled ALL the prophecies, that is one of the proofs G-d planned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh, one more thing, the OLD Covenant Law of Moses was not made with the Gentiles, so the claim that they are the Old Covenant of Moses and the Law are not accurate. Only the NEW Covenant in Yeshua, written on our hearts was for both Jew and Gentile.
That is incorrect. Out of Egypt came non-Israelites, foreigners which by biblical definition means "gentiles." When they got to Sinai 3 things were said to/of them.

1. They could accept the terms of the covenant and be blessed for keeping them and cursed if they didn't.
2. They were told to assimilate into the tribes they traveled with.
3. Israel was told to treat them as "native born."

That means, those "gentiles" ceased being gentiles and became just as much Israel... as Israel. Grafted in, if you will.

Incidentally, the "lost sheep of the House of Israel" has historically been a term used to describe the Northern Kingdom, Israel in the nations...scattered there because of their disobedience and idolatry and yet promised by God to be brought back into the fold (read all of Hosea 1). This is, in part, why Paul said in Ephesians 2... we WERE gentiles in the flesh and WERE aliens of the Commonwealth of Israel but are NOW fellow citizens.

A gentile, historically is somebody who does not belong to God and when they do turn to Him, they cease being a gentile and become part of Israel. That is why Jer. 31 and Heb. 8 have the covenant made ONLY with Judah and Israel.

Upvote 0

FreeAtLast

Messianic Jew
Mar 20, 2008
✟21,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And that is the ONLY way Gentiles get to participate.

Gentiles are saved through faith in Yeshua as G-d, forgiveness of sins and infilling of the Holy Spirit. Being born again, they are under Yeshua's NEW COVENANT.

Gentiles are not grafted into Israel, but the root, Who is YESHUA.

• Agree
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
According to Romans 11, we Gentiles were grafted in to the Tree.
Actually... while we are grafted in... Romans 11 can be nations and would then be consistent with Ephraim's blessing. And... why not? Go read Romans 9:21 through 27. WHO is being talked about? The Jews? No... specifically the Northern Kingdom (Israel) as Paul is quoting Hosea 1 which is talking about the Northern Kingdom, not Judah. Paul also quotes in vs. 27 of that chapter, Isaiah 10:22 which has the word "returned" rather than saved and by context is also speaking about Israel, not Judah.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Gentiles are saved through faith in Yeshua as G-d, forgiveness of sins and infilling of the Holy Spirit. Being born again, they are under Yeshua's NEW COVENANT.

Gentiles are not grafted into Israel, but the root, Who is YESHUA.
Yeshua is Israel. Isaiah 53 (suffering servant) speaks about the servant being "Israel" which is why the Orthodox use that point to say that Isaiah 53 isn't messianic. But historically... even as late as Rashi if I am not mistaken... that had been taught as a messianic chapter and "Israel" was another name for messiah.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They may not have known all the particulars of the New Covenant.
At the time this was written they didn't know about OLD and NEW covenants. They were just under a covenant where they had to do certain things.

If today you were under some covenant where there were certain things you had to do, but you broke that covenant and then the original covenant maker comes to you and says, "I am going to make a New Covenant with you, not like the old one which you broke". Would you think the Covenant maker would just renew that previous covenant or make one just like the old one which you broke?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FreeAtLast

Messianic Jew
Mar 20, 2008
✟21,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That is incorrect. Out of Egypt came non-Israelites, foreigners which by biblical definition means "gentiles." When they got to Sinai 3 things were said to/of them.

Actually, it's not incorrect in the context of the OP topic and the truth from the NEW Covenant.

That means, those "gentiles" ceased being gentiles and became just as much Israel... as Israel. Grafted in, if you will.

That is incorrect. Gentiles are not Israel. Read Romans 11. Gentiles are Gentiles and Israel is Israel, and those who are saved by faith in Yeshua serve G-d ALONGSIDE one another, but do not become only another. Gentiles are grafted into the ROOT which is Yeshua, not grafted into Israel.

Romans 11

1 So I ask, did they stumble in order that they might fall? By no means! Rather, through their trespass salvation has come to the Gentiles, so as to make Israel jealous. 12 Now if their trespass means riches for the world, and if their failure means riches for the Gentiles, how much more will their full inclusion[ mean!

13 Now I am speaking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry 14 in order somehow to make my fellow Jews jealous, and thus save some of them. 15 For if their rejection means the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance mean but life from the dead? 16 If the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, so is the whole lump, and if the root is holy, so are the branches.

17 But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, although a wild olive shoot, were grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing root[c] of the olive tree, 18 do not be arrogant toward the branches. If you are, remember it is not you who support the root, but the root that supports you. 19 Then you will say, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” 20 That is true. They were broken off because of their unbelief, but you stand fast through faith. So do not become proud, but fear. 21 For if G-d did not spare the natural branches, neither will he spare you. 22 Note then the kindness and the severity of G-d: severity toward those who have fallen, but G-d's kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness. Otherwise you too will be cut off. 23 And even they, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for G-d has the power to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and grafted, contrary to nature, into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these, the natural branches, be grafted back into their own olive tree.

The Mystery of Israel's Salvation
25 Lest you be wise in your own sight, I do not want you to be unaware of this mystery, brothers:[d] a partial hardening has come upon Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in

And, honestly, who is Israel is a debate for another topic thread. Not this one.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bible saysBelievers in Jesus are the seed of abraham,in fact the true seed of Abraham.”all the promises of God in him are yea and in him amen.These Old Testament promises are of course are applicable to Gentiles—-if they are Christians
Yes I know. But, consider Psalms 105:8-10. The promise given to Abraham is extended to Isaac as an oath, the confirmed "the same" to Jacob, and then extended that to his seed, Israel, as an "everlasting covenant." Guys, everlasting means everlasting and if our current Christian theology wants to mess around and say that everlasting doesn't have to mean everlasting then we open the door for two things. The first is that the "everlasting God" might just have an end date. Second, that messiah might just not be the everlasting door of hope. Everlasting means everlasting and the covenant made with Israel is everlasting. It is the 10 Words (Deuteronomy 4:13) and they were written on stone and are being moved to the heart... probably more of an idiomatic phrase to say "within us," maybe even in our DNA.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They may not have known all the particulars of the New Covenant.
At the time this was written they didn't know about OLD and NEW covenants. They were just under a covenant where they had to do certain things.

Under a covenant with God? You mean IN a covenant with God... IN a relationship with God! Do you really need hundreds of verses laid out into this thread showing mercy and love from God to His people because too many sure talk like nobody could have known Him. The apple of God's eye would think otherwise.

Funny... people (mainly skeptics) are quick to point out that "King David" isn't mentioned in any archaeological discoveries. It is possible his name wasn't even David... David means "my beloved" and it could be that God was simply calling him "my beloved" rather than by the name everyone else knew him as. We think we are the first to know God... that bias causes us to lose a TON of biblical context.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeshua is Israel. Isaiah 53 (suffering servant) speaks about the servant being "Israel" which is why the Orthodox use that point to say that Isaiah 53 isn't messianic. But historically... even as late as Rashi if I am not mistaken... that had been taught as a messianic chapter and "Israel" was another name for messiah.
Isaiah 49 is the best example of the Messiah being named Israel. God even calls him by the name Israel :)

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0