Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last weekend I watched a short video of a mob in Baltimore tearing down a statue of Christopher Columbus. It reminded me of the scenes of human sacrifice in Mel Gibson’s amazing film Apocalypto.

Yes. I know it was only a statue. But will it stop with statues?

The mob in Baltimore was cheering and screaming, and as the statue crashed down they were leaping about and shaking with paroxysms of crazed exuberance. They rushed to the fallen plaster statue and grabbed parts of it and ran away with them. One man brandished the head as a trophy.

In Gibson’s film the mob howls not for the destruction of a statue, but the heart and the head of a real human victim. When the head rolls down the steps of the Mayan pyramid, the crowd dances with delight.

Addiction to Rage
History teaches us that iconoclasm (the destruction of images) is often followed by genocide. In England in the 16th century they began by stripping the Catholic churches of statues. They ended by hunting down Catholics, throwing them into jail and finally executing them in the public square.

In the 18th century during the French Revolution they began by destroying the images of the monarchy and the Catholic religion and ended by worshiping Madame Guillotine. First statues fell, then heads rolled.

In 1930s Germany they started by burning synagogues and ended by burning Jews. In Iraq, ISIS blew up statues then they started cutting off heads.

Continued below.
Why It Won't Stop With Statues | The Stream

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Makes me wonder where the line in the sand truly is. Ransacking and burning a church (in a way that leaves no doubt about the culprit)? Murdering a priest? Or are we just going to let the whole Church in America be reduced to ash? I'm sure plenty of them would love to see that.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Posted this a few times now. But it's worth considering that now could be the time that John Paul saw coming.

pope-john-paul-ii-the-coming-tribulation-cannot-be-averted01.png

• Agree
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Something else, I came to an authentic faith fifteen years. I was welcomed into the Catholic Church back in 2015 but my faith in Our Lord was real fifteen years ago.

Each step I've taken during these last fifteen years was done with the suspicion that it was one more step toward the hangman's noose -- or something worse, maybe. So, I guess I'm about as "ready" as I'll ever be.

It could be that this will all blow over eventually. But I think it's unwise to assume that under our present circumstances.

• Agree
Upvote 0