• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Why it makes NO SENSE for any religion to change with the times

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by ObamaChristian, Mar 27, 2015.

1. quatona

quatona "God"? What do you mean??

+4,186
    Seeker
    I´ve always been wondering how people could possibly rationalize cognitive dissonance as a positive thing.
    Thanks for your honest post - it really explained something to me.

2. Jade Margery

Jade Margery Stranger in a strange land

+282
    Agnostic
    In Relationship
    Of course Judaism is more than that... but it is also the case that Judaism came first, and then a sect splintered off to become Christianity. The times they changed with may have been 2000 years ago, but isn't that still changing with the times? You think that people did not have popular/current culture back then?

Personally I see no value to religious faith; even the comfort it gives to the fearful and grieving is no more than a pretty lie, like telling a child that his dog has gone to live on a big farm rather than that it got hit by a car. Popular culture does NOT have all the right answers, but it has more of them than hide-bound religions do, which is why they are always scrabbling to catch up while eating their own words and past judgments. Religions must change or become irrelevant - no one today practices christianity exactly the way it was done a thousand years ago, and a modern christian sent back in time would probably be executed for their heretical beliefs. Yet as ObamaChristian pointed out, if it is really truth then it should never change... the very fact that these religions do change, and constantly, is further proof of their falsehood.

And lest someone drag out the tired 'well science changes its answers all the time, so does that make it false?' argument, there is a key difference. The knowledge we have gained by the scientific method does not claim to have been handed to us by a divine, omnipotent, omniscient being. It is merely what we have observed and figured out based on the evidence gathered so far, and thus may change when further evidence is supplied. Scientific knowledge, unlike religion, is supposed to change and thus become better.

3. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+5,010
    Atheist
    Single
    Uh,

No. The Earth being the center of the universe was a popular idea, not a scientific one.

Also slavery because of conquest is just as allowed by scripture as selling ones self. And Scripture supports a racial divide in slavery as it gave more protections and eventual freedom to Hebrew slaves.

Should a woman president obey her husband, including following his wishes when it comes to matters of state?

4. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+8,180
    Agnostic
    Married

With whom and why do they have it backwards?

5. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+12,350
    Christian
    Married
    It was a scientific as science existed at the time. Ptolemy was as much a scientist of his times as the word could be applied. Further, his model of the universe fit then-current observations better than Galileo's.

That would be a cultural divide, not a racial divide, in that non-Hebrews could become Jews. Let's imagine that in early US there had been a self-initiated process by which a black slave could make himself a legal white man.

6. pittsflyer

pittsflyer Guest

+0
    What I want to know is how long is the military going to keep defending this nonsense or will we litterally have to denigrate to the point that we are ripe for invasion. I wonder how many americans would fight with or against an invading force considering this nations govt has waged war on white men for the last 35 plus years.

7. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+8,180
    Agnostic
    Married
    As a US combat veteran let me be the first to invite you to move to another country where you will not have to endure the horrible oppression you find here. :wave:

8. selfinflikted

selfinflikted Under Deck

+739
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

9. keith99

+5,010
    Atheist
    Single
    Yes as much as the word could be applied.

But I'd ask did Ptolemy conclude the Earth was the center of the universe or did he start with that from his culture and then come up with a way to explain astronomic observations?

It appears the later.

10. pittsflyer

pittsflyer Guest

+0
    Unfortunatly thats not how it works, the other country has to allow it first.

11. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 contemplative humanist Supporter

+12,372
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    That really depends on what you mean by "my religion". I don't think the Methodist or Episcopal churches ever "endorsed enforced slavery" as part of their canons.

Since the earliest days the Christia faith has honored women, Jesus certainly did. That people differ in how they understand that is just human nature.

Religion is way too complicated a phenomenon for your atheist clichés to be able to tackle it. Time to grow up and actually read some books and study some history.

12. Kiritsugu Emiyah

Kiritsugu Emiyah Guest

+0
    Religion is a product of society and for the purpose of meeting individual and community needs... it is inevitable that it change as society and people change. You're going to have to get over that.

13. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+16,549
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Well - does your Christianity bear ANY resemblance to the Judaism that it came from?

14. Archivist

Archivist Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,513
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Republican
    You really need to learn your history. One of the two denominations that later formed the United Methodist Church, the United Brethren Church, ruled in 1837 that slave owners could not continue as members. However the Methodist Episcopal church split over the issue of slavery in 1845 with the formation of the pro-slavery Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

Given that you were unaware that the Methodist Episcopal Church split over the issue of slavery and that a portion of the church did support slavery, it appears that you need to need to study some history. You can read more about the split here: How the Methodist Church split in the 1840s « From the Archives

15. Kiritsugu Emiyah

Kiritsugu Emiyah Guest

+0
    ObamaChristian

You believe Jesus walked on top of water and that he came back from the dead... since you believe these things it is clear that do not place much value (if any) in logic and reason. You are simply committed to believing your book to the very end. You don't actually have logical reason for religion not morphing to fit society... you're just stubborn.

Your commitment to not using logic and reason is not as admirable a person who loves Jesus and will stay with Jesus even if they learn they were wrong about somethings.

If Jesus spoke to men again and told someone to right a new chapter... would you ever accept it? Are you capable of accepting it? If not then you are not so much committed to your god as you are your position.

If you and I both lived with Moses and I was gay would you have killed me?

16. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+12,350
    Christian
    Married
    The same thing happened with the American Baptist Convention, but a northern Abolitionist member of either group need not accept responsibility for someone else's heretical theology.

17. Archivist

Archivist Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,513
    Lutheran
    Single
    US-Republican
    I agree with you. However, the statement upon which I was commenting was " I don't think the Methodist or Episcopal churches ever 'endorsed enforced slavery' as part of their canons." I simply noted that the statement was not correct as a portion of the Methodist Church did support slavery.

18. keith99

+5,010
    Atheist
    Single
    Which has me asking what is Religion? If it is the relationship of a people to their God and if we hold the story of Adam and Eve is true then the religion started changing with the times with the first bite of fruit of the tree of Knowledge of good and evil and I'd argue has been changing ever since.

Hopefully mainly growth. But only hopefully.

19. ananda

ananda Early Buddhist

+1,980
    Private
    In terms of Buddhism, the truth (dhamma) is always present; science only serves to reveal part of that truth, and even then, man's interpretation of that scientific data gets in the way of seeing absolute truth.

20. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+11,191
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    Do you know what "denigrate" means?

Is there any way of doing that other than literally?

Also, what particular nonsense is the military defending?:confused: