• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Why it makes NO SENSE for any religion to change with the times

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by ObamaChristian, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Hetta

Hetta I'll find my way home

+4,719
    France
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I'm always grateful for the real men on this forum.

2. Hetta

Hetta I'll find my way home

+4,719
    France
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Humans continue to evolve (well, some of them) and society evolves with us. This is a good thing. We should strive for a society that celebrates all humans as equal, whether some think the sexual practices of others (for instance) are "icky" or not.

3. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+12,587
    Christian
    Married
    That's not at all true.

If you read 1 Corinthians 15, you see Paul arguing that the reason for belief in Jesus' resurrection is because it was in their time still being testified to by 500 eye-witnesses of His resurrection. Paul argues for faith because of evidence.

The problem is not believing against evidence, the problem is making arguments scripture doesn't make, and believing them in the face of overwhelming evidence.

4. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+7,039
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Calling other men out on their quote junk unquote?

I'm not even sure what that means.

5. TillICollapse

TillICollapse Well-Known Member

+260
    Single
    Dude I think he's trolling :) I remember one of his other comments along these lines. No reason to get snagged :)

6. Ana the Ist

+7,039
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Well out of all the things he said that struck a chord...

I keep a tidy home and might have to go upside someone's head if they called me out on my junk.

7. TillICollapse

TillICollapse Well-Known Member

+260
    Single
    No dude, noooooooooo lol. Avert avert :)

8. super animator

super animator Dreamer

+1,608
    Agnostic
    I find it funny that you only agree to it, if it means getting rid of it.

9. Ana the Ist

+7,039
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Like funny "haha" or funny "hmmm"?

10. super animator

super animator Dreamer

+1,608
    Agnostic
    funny as in funny, no need to bring schematics.

11. Interplanner

Interplanner Newbie

+97
    Non-Denom
    Single
    ObamaChr wrote:
    I have always viewed faith as the belief of something in the face of overwhelming evidence against.

There we have it: the complete divorce of faith from knowledge. That may explain why you are an ObamaChristian because he is a complete divorce from reality.

Back to the actual topic: I would suggest your reading of the works of Hugh Ross, CREATION AND TIME or REASONS TO BELIEVE, and the 2nd is the name of his website. While allowing for lots of time (there is clear evidence of that), he does not accept the evolution of mankind because of the evidence of the abrupt appearance of man as we know him and his activity (there is clear evidence of that).

Dr. Ross is a physicist, formerly at Stanford, later at the U of Toronto.

One problem that has developed from position #2 is that the crowd loyal to the Bible...seems to have done a very poor job of dealing with its 2nd verse! When that verse is truly understood, the text is much more factual than #2s realized.

I hope you are aware that the intention of destructive liberal neo-orthodox theology always was to divorce the Bible from reality as we know it. It's sad to see you have done so.

12. lisah

lisah Humanist with Christian Heritage

+87
    Humanist
    Married
    That was part of my thought process as well. Although, I was thinking more on the deviation of religions and tracking back to an original religion that changed due to changes in society. (Similar to the short-lived early monotheism of Egypt.)

I don't think that the Christian Bible as it is known today can be used as a basis for determining origin of deviation of religion. But, if this is only in regard to Christianity, wouldn't that be pre-Christian Bible?

13. Rationalt

Rationalt Newbie

+87
    Deist
    Married
    Real people who forgot what it is like not having their gonads in a vice ? ;).

Sorry, I cannot resist even though I know it is unrelated to Op.feel free to ignore me or pour condemnation.

14. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+1,028
    Atheist
    Private
    History is full of dead religions who did not change with the times. In order for a religion to survive, I believe it has to change with the times.

Ken

15. Neogaia777

Neogaia777 Disciple Supporter

+4,227
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Celibate
    "Why it makes NO SENSE for any religion to change with the times"

Yes it does, it's called a "paradigm shift" in thinking that changes over time through the process of new information and it may prove a past theory wrong, happens in science, why not with religion?

God Bless!

16. bill5

bill5 Well-Known Member

+2,168
    Agnostic
    Private
    ? That's the same thing.

Sorry but that makes no sense at all. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean when you say "fundamentalist." Maybe you're saying one should either be a religious "fanatic" or not even bother, ie it has to be one extreme or the other? (which doesn't jibe to me either, but then at least I get what you're saying)

Partly, but it's more specific. It's a pursuit to know what/who lies beyond this existence ie God/an afterlife.

First, there's no need to "suppose." The vast majority of Christians did believe that before evolution came along. But to answer the question, they should study it and take it on its own value. No more, no less.

I would argue that's absurd. Good grief - if you wanted to simply say you're a Fundamentalist, I wish you'd have just done it.

Evolution and Christianity/religion are not incompatible. If you choose to disagree, that's certainly your right, but it's not illogical just because you don't believe it. Christianity didn't "adopt itself to fit evolution" and evolution is not a "societal change." Many Christians simply understand there isn't a conflict.
    This is also incorrect. Faith is a belief in something despite a lack of tangible proof or evidence (ie in the scientific sense), not something with a ton of evidence proving it false. That is denial.

At the risk of being or sounding pedantic, stating evolution as fact is technically incorrect (though it is as far as I'm concerned).

Except that's not what it is. It's an examination of the two and realizing they are compatible, not claiming it while knowing it isn't true. It is.

Sorry, that's not true at all.

These aren't really valid analogies, because they aren't changes in a religion, but different religions entirely.

17. Interplanner

Interplanner Newbie

+97
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Bill5,
    there are key distinctions between Judaism and the NT Gospel. The NT Gospel and its people were to be what Judaism was supposed to be.

In the case of Islam and previous scriptures, they are trying to incorporate them as part of Islam.

So in both cases, your last statement doesn't work. They have not stayed different, there is a lot of particular borrowing or development going on.

18. Jade Margery

Jade Margery Stranger in a strange land

+282
    Agnostic
    In Relationship
    ....really. :|

You're really saying that Christianity and Judaism are completely different religions with absolutely nothing in common and one of them did NOT come about by adding more holy scriptures on top of the ones the other already had, thereby changing it? Seriously?

There's denial, there's intellectual dishonesty, and then there's just being silly.

19. Ana the Ist

+7,039
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    Whenever you see all three in the same post...you know you're on Christian Forums!!!^_^

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

20. SoldierOfTheKing

SoldierOfTheKing Christian Spenglerian

+2,628
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    It's a fairly popular misconception that Judaism is Christianity minus the New Testament.

Anyway, the the OP specifically was not talking about changing, but "changing with the times", or changing simply because the popular culture changes. If the popular culture already has all the right answers, what is the faith even for? Presumably you practice your faith because it has something to offer that world cannot.