Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It might have to do with the history of Catholics and Orthodox killing so many protestants throughout history. Even today, we look down on protestants. Shame on us.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It might have to do with the history of Catholics and Orthodox killing so many protestants throughout history. Even today, we look down on protestants. Shame on us.

To be fair to Catholics and Orthodox, there is as much blame to be place on Protestants as well.

Like I said, there are no clean hands on either side.

God Bless

Till all are one.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
To be fair to Catholics and Orthodox, there is as much blame to be place on Protestants as well.

Like I said, there are no clean hands on either side.

God Bless

Till all are one.
In my culture it's very heavily in favor of the orthodox being persecutorial against the protestants

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In my culture it's very heavily in favor of the orthodox being persecutorial against the protestants

Like I said, there is enough blame to go around.

God Bless

Till all arfe one.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's very awkward trying to describe on this forum.
But remember the movie version of enemy soldiers actually getting along with each other in France during some kind of "intermission" for the soldiers during WWII ?
American, French and German Soldiers actually had meals together, instead of trying to kill,maim, or arrest and imprison one another....

It wasn't just a movie, it was an actual event that happened during WW I. Christmas of 1914 saw the Germans on one side and the French and UK troops on the other call an unofficial ceasefire. Both sides emerged from their trenches, shared food with each other, and conducted themselves as friendly human beings. They'd show each other pictures of their children, etc.

Dec. 26, ceasefire over, back to war as usual. :-(

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
especially considering that most I've talked to have very little knowledge of what we actually believe...

Former RC here. Have been treated very badly indeed by RC family members. No hate though, just sadness about the past and hope that they will all find salvation and peace in Jesus Christ.

Strangely enough though those family members who left the RCC for the bottle or adulterous relationships were not ostracized in the same way that those of us who left for the sake of the gospel have been.

Nothing against Orthodox, have been to Hagia Sophia and loved it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is an old saying in among the Special Forces: "Kill 'em all, let God sort them out!"

I wonder if anybody can tell me where the saying came from?

The sack of Carcassone, Southern France, a crusade about 1200? God Bless :)

• Informative
Reactions: Joan Lamb
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
especially considering that most I've talked to have very little knowledge of what we actually believe...
Hate them? I'm pretty much a fundamentalist, actually an evangelical, and I almost envy them. Those amazing traditions, the tremendous eccesiatical legacies, if it were possible I'd convert. Some pretty serious problems with core conviction like devotions to Mary was kind of a deal breaker. But hate them? I couldn't hate anyone who professes faith in the risen Savior, I just have some regrettably serious convictions that keeps me from being Orthodox or Catholic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I find this interesting; many non-Catholic, Protestant Christians who might generally be in disagreement with / antagonistic towards / openly hostile towards aspects of Orthodox-Catholic theology or praxis nonetheless have a deep admiration for Saints like Francis of Assisi, Teresa of Calcutta, Catherine of Sienna, Polycarp, Teresa of Lisieux, or Seraphim of Sarov. Notwithstanding that it is awesome and good that Protestant Christians recognize the holiness, purity, example, and image of Christ in these Saints and are inspired by them, it is also noteworthy that none of the people mentioned above were Protestants, and in life they taught and affirmed much that Protestantism would not be able to reconcile or agree with, as an essential part of their lives in Christ.

That, too, is something to take into consideration, especially for non-Catholic / Orthodox Christians seeking to live holy, obedient, luminous and Godly lives. How is it that Orthodoxy and Catholicism produces Saints like these?
Yes, but there are similar personalities among Protestants, too. It's just that no one is declaring them to be saints deserving of rosaries being said to them in hopes of spiritual favors, no feast days added to the church calendar to honor them, etc. If all that is done by the RCC with the heroes of faith who happened to be Roman were also to be done to the Protestant luminaries, there would not be the gap you referred to.

How many new saints has Lutheranism or Anglicanism produced?
Hard to say, since as I explained above, most of these churches do not have an
elaborate process for proclaiming new saints. And, really, why should they? It's not as though we think that they are intermediaries with the Father, carrying our petitions to Him. We believe and profess that we have but one mediator and advocate, Christ Jesus.

Is King Henry the VIII venerated within Anglicanism?
No. And that is the point. There is little about him that would cause us to imagine him to be a saint.

However, the calendar does have a day on which several saintly Anglican bishops were martyred by his daughter, the Romanist Queen Mary Tudor.

Last edited:
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I find this interesting; many non-Catholic, Protestant Christians who might generally be in disagreement with / antagonistic towards / openly hostile towards aspects of Orthodox-Catholic theology or praxis nonetheless have a deep admiration for Saints like Francis of Assisi, Teresa of Calcutta, Catherine of Sienna, Polycarp, Teresa of Lisieux, or Seraphim of Sarov. Notwithstanding that it is awesome and good that Protestant Christians recognize the holiness, purity, example, and image of Christ in these Saints and are inspired by them, it is also noteworthy that none of the people mentioned above were Protestants, and in life they taught and affirmed much that Protestantism would not be able to reconcile or agree with, as an essential part of their lives in Christ.

Hello. In my humble opinion it does not matter whether you see yourself as Catholic or Protestant. What matters is a new creation, is someone born again. Unless you are born again you cannot see or enter the Kingdom of God. The Kingdom cuts across all denominations, all organisations, all races. There are pious Catholics and active Protestants in the Kingdom, there are pious Catholics and active Protestants who are not in the Kingdom.

Having said that Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Why would a 'Christian' church try to keep the bible and in particular the gospels out of the hands and tongues of the common people?

God Bless :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Notwithstanding that it is awesome and good that Protestant Christians recognize the holiness, purity, example, and image of Christ in these Saints and are inspired by them, it is also noteworthy that none of the people mentioned above were Protestants, and in life they taught and affirmed much that Protestantism would not be able to reconcile or agree with, as an essential part of their lives in Christ.

The bigger question is whether these lives and teachings could be reconciled or agree with the Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hi John. I read an interesting book recently. 'The Fall of Constantinople' by Stephen Runciman. Apparently on the last night of the siege of the city by the Turks, when the defenders of the denominations there knew that all hope was gone, that in the morning they would be dead, they held a service together, old emnities forgotten, all the man made and petty issues that had divided them forgotten.

Does anyone here think that when we see the Lord face to face we'll be concerned with obtuse denominational traditions? :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello. In my humble opinion it does not matter whether you see yourself as Catholic or Protestant. What matters is a new creation, is someone born again. Unless you are born again you cannot see or enter the Kingdom of God. The Kingdom cuts across all denominations, all organisations, all races. There are pious Catholics and active Protestants in the Kingdom, there are pious Catholics and active Protestants who are not in the Kingdom.

Having said that Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. Why would a 'Christian' church try to keep the bible and in particular the gospels out of the hands and tongues of the common people?

God Bless :)

Hey, Lis. There is a great extent to which I agree with much of your first paragraph. I have met great numbers of truly devout, prayerful, Holy, loving, and humble Christians in Baptist, Quaker, Pentecostal, and Mennonite circles. Who do a way better job than I do of loving neighbor and enemy, forgiving people, and saying no to worldliness and self. I do not have much of the graces and virtues that they do.

There is also, though, a unique beauty and holiness within Catholicism that I have not seen elsewhere. It strikes and definately challenges me, points me to my own sinfulness, smallness, and failure and at the same time to the infinite mercy, grace, and love of Christ.

And while many within the specifically Protestant world mention the Catholic "hiding" or "concealment" of Scripture from the common man, the reality of Scripture translation into the vernacular within the Catholic world is more nuanced than this. In addition, while Protestantism in general has focused on individual / private / personal reading and interpretation on Scripture, Catholicism has the understanding that the Catholic Church not only gave us Scripture (as the Apostles preceded both Scripture and the Canonization of Scripture), but has a unique right to interpret it.

But that's sort of a different topic.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, Lis. There is a great extent to which I agree with much of your first paragraph. I have met great numbers of truly devout, prayerful, Holy, loving, and humble Christians in Baptist, Quaker, Pentecostal, and Mennonite circles. Who do a way better job than I do of loving neighbor and enemy, forgiving people, and saying no to worldliness and self. I do not have much of the graces and virtues that they do.

Greetings, thank you for your reply.

Yes. That's because these people, we people, are all born-again members of the same Kingdom, the Kingdom of God, regardless of denominational affiliation. :)

There is also, though, a unique beauty and holiness within Catholicism that I have not seen elsewhere. It strikes and definately challenges me, points me to my own sinfulness, smallness, and failure and at the same time to the infinite mercy, grace, and love of Christ.

Excellent. Glad you've found your spiritual home. But there can be much 'tradition' in the system that is repellent to many and there are those in every system who are not born again. I think that just before the return of the Lord born again believers of every background will be in closer unity, dropping much of the unnecessary baggage that divides. God Bless :)

• Haha
Reactions: Joan Lamb
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that just before the return of the Lord born again believers of every background will be in closer unity, dropping much of the unnecessary baggage that divides. God Bless :)

I would rather talk to a Christ-loving, Bible studying Baptist about spiritual matters than to someone from an Apostolic Catholic or Orthodox background with little interest in spiritual things.

At the same time, I do feel that Truth matters, and the Truth is expressed in its fullness and greatest detail / complexity through the Catholic Church. I'm still on a journey, still trying to bumble my confused and stumbly way in, and be patient more than anything else.

I pray for the day when all will be One, and when all knowledge, graces, Truth, and wisdom will be embraced and known and loved by all. God is Love.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let me also say this:

I am a Fundamentalist in the sense of what Fundamentalism meant in 1878 according to the 14 Point 1878 Niagara Creed.

I am a Baptist in the sense of what the Baptist Confessions of Faith have said since 1742.

I know that it is no longer the "standard' but with the exception of a few points, I agree with nearly everything that is outlined in the "39 Articles". I could, with a few exceptions, become an Anglican very easily.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0