Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
"I have heard from many sources that people don't read anymore then why does everybody and their mother have books or are writing books these days?"

I own close to a thousand books.

I've read all of them plus many others I don't own.

I think you may underestimate the number of readers out there.

OB

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

SigurdReginson

Aug 4, 2020
PNW
✟45,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Eh... I've never been able to get into reading, unless they are academic books like articles on subjects such as ancient history, religious texts, or books on philosophy/archeology/biology, etc.

I'm that guy who reads the lore books in games like Skyrim... I'm weird.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have heard from many sources that people don't read anymore then why does everybody and their mother have books or are writing books these days?
Good question. Often it's because people have received great help from God during a situation and feel a need to try and help others. Some are keen to promote a certain theology. Also, I would not be surprised if Christians are more likely to read than the general population. Maybe someone knows if a survey has been done on that issue.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟428,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't know whether it is true that a lot of people don't read anymore. I think a lot has changed in how people consume books (audio books and 'e-books' are more popular now than in the past), but I would imagine public appetite for books is relatively constant, since as the OP has noticed, there are still plenty of books being written and published.

For many people, reading book-length works is a luxury activity to begin with, so this is something that probably varies a lot across a person's life. My own father wasn't what I (or he) would've considered 'a reader', for instance, except in the last 10 years of his life, since that's when he was retired and was able to pursue his own interests. It turns out his interests included going to the library once a week to check out 3-4 books, reading them all during the next 5-7 days, and then going back to do it all over again. There are probably a lot of people like him who (re)discover their love of books later in life when they actually have the time to read for pleasure, rather than for school or work.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have heard from many sources that people don't read anymore then why does everybody and their mother have books or are writing books these days?
I’m a reader and know quite a few other women who are, too. I love reading cozy mysteries.

Upvote 0