Why is there a seemingly perpetual stigma towards the Catholic Church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyasi

Looking for Christ
Aug 24, 2010
Ontario
✟8,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I've noticed that there are many anti-Catholic protestants out there (I know not all protestants are anti-Catholic, but some are) who truly hate Catholicism and the Catholic Church.

Typical arguments I see from AC Protestants are:

"Catholics aren't Christian"

"Catholics worship Mary by praying to her"

"Catholics worship the pope"

"Catholics worship the sign of the cross and not Jesus"

"Catholicism is a pagan religion"

"Catholics believe in salvation through works"

"Catholics call priests and the pope 'father' because they worship him"

"Catholics held books from the public and burned people for blablabla.."

"Catholics were responsible for the Inquisition and the Crusades"

"Hitler was a Catholic"

Etc.. Etc...

These are the sorts of comments that I hear from people mostly online although sometimes people will say them in real life. How can people be this ignorant? Where did such a hatred of the Catholic Church come from and why is it so prominent among a lot of people? I would be very offended if someone walked up to me and told me that I worshiped Mary or something preposterous of the sort.

How should I defend myself from this? Is there a way to inform people like this of the truth?

Eucharisted

Nov 24, 2009
United States
✟8,761.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
One must realize that the Church, as the Body of Christ, will suffer the same trial of Christ, who Himself was accused by former disciples of horrible crimes and activities.

The best way to defend oneself is to be charitable and truthful. Charity disarms pride, anger, and indifference while truth disarms lies, ignorance, and confusion.

Upvote 0

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm certain that the reason people hold certain beliefs about Catholicism will vary. Most of the anti-Catholic stuff I was exposed to came through my old church whose mythology of the church was strongly anti-Catholic. And quite honestly, a good amount of people don't care to investigate whether their biases have any basis in fact or not. They're just not gonna look into it.

I've found one of the most effective ways to combat ignorance of Catholicism (and Christianity in general) is for Catholics to fully live out their devotion to Christ and be an example of a good Christian. Not saying that one has to be perfect by any means, but just one person can lead someone to reconsider what they have believed about the faith.

Like St. Peter wrote to us:

"Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander." 1 Peter 3:15b-16 NIV

Upvote 0

Gyasi

Looking for Christ
Aug 24, 2010
Ontario
✟8,235.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
What truly baffles me is how much bad a lot of people have to speak of mother church and our good pope. How can anyone accuse Catholicism of being evil or of the devil when they don't truly know anything about it?

What amazes me is how quick people are to condemn us when people like Martin Luther have been known to throw out scriptural books that do not agree with their teachings.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,387.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What truly baffles me is how much bad a lot of people have to speak of mother church and our good pope. How can anyone accuse Catholicism of being evil or of the devil when they don't truly know anything about it?

What amazes me is how quick people are to condemn us when people like Martin Luther have been known to throw out scriptural books that do not agree with their teachings.

Well, actually Luther didn't; the reformed protestants excluded the Apocryphal books... but that's a topic for another time and place.

It has been my experience that anti Catholic, or anti any specific denomination often springs from a person's or denomination's insecurity in their own beliefs. By labeling another as "bad" or "evil", it becomes easy to justify one's self as being "good and right".

One historic example comes to mind. Reformed Protestants deny the real presence in the Eucharist. They went so far as to mock the words of institution/consecration used in the Mass "Hoc est Corpus Meum" by coining the phrase "Hocus Pocus". This not only mocks the Mass, but blasphemes the Words of our Lord. In effect they mock scripture, yet they claim Sola Scriptura;
doh.gif
no wonder they are insecure;).

Respectfully,

Mark
smile.gif

Upvote 0

`Raine

resilient
Sep 25, 2004
NC
✟571.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think most of them even really hate Catholicism. They have no clue about Catholicism and, rather than investigate for themselves, they listen to what their preacher or the latest anti-Catholic tract of website says. I am not Catholic and am just learning about Catholicism myself, but I already knew some of the anti-Catholic claims were false or purposely twisted and misinterpreted things. Many of these preachers and "teachers" do not even know about what they criticize themselves, but repeat what others have told them.

I read a quote on a blog this morning that sums it up:
"There are not over a 100 people in the U.S. that hate the Catholic Church, there are millions however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church which is, of course, quite a different thing." Fulton Sheen

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,387.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I don't think most of them even really hate Catholicism. They have no clue about Catholicism and, rather than investigate for themselves, they listen to what their preacher or the latest anti-Catholic tract of website says. I am not Catholic and am just learning about Catholicism myself, but I already knew some of the anti-Catholic claims were false or purposely twisted and misinterpreted things. Many of these preachers and "teachers" do not even know about what they criticize themselves, but repeat what others have told them.

I read a quote on a blog this morning that sums it up:
"There are not over a 100 people in the U.S. that hate the Catholic Church, there are millions however, who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church which is, of course, quite a different thing." Fulton Sheen

Fulton Sheen said it well.

Raine,

It is those types of blogs of which you speak, and even the pulpits of some of the reformed protestant Churches are the only source of understanding that many have. The fear and loathing that this fosters prevents these individuals from seeking information from the source, because they fear that they will be either tainted somehow, lied to (as they truly believe the RCC is based on lies), or converted and dragged into the pit of hell (yes, I've had a few who told me that's where I'm going because I have not only Catholic friends, but a couple of my friends were Catholic Priests (both now deceased)).

I grew up in a farming community where the majority were either Confessional Lutherans or RC. There were only a few Presbyterians and Methodists, and even less Anglicans. We all worked together, socialized together, and attended the same schools. Inter-mariage was not uncommon among the Lutherans and Catholics (sometimes with one spouse converting to the faith of the other, sometimes not), not so much the others. We went to each others weddings, funerals, baptisms, confirmations, etc. Heck, one of my Pastors would go rabbit hunting with the Catholic Priest (and they did discuss and debate theology over a few beers afterwords in a friendly and respectful way and always with good humor; I know, because I was in on a few of those hunts myself
wink.gif
).

I never knew that there was such hatred and misunderstanding until I got out in the world a bit more, and it shocked me.

Even in this great age of information, such ignorance persists.

A recent example here at CF was this thread: 10 Commandments of God Catholic Version & bible version; you will note that a pair of Lutherans, myself and one other, have been trying our best on behalf of our Catholic friends in this thread.

Pax Domini,

Mark

Upvote 0

Dark Radiance

Sep 4, 2010
✟15,398.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
In large part I think it is because many of the ritualistic things which Catholics do and believe in, they do more via faith than through reason. However, there is a deep theological meaning behind all of these rites and rituals. But alas few Catholics can explain them to those who ask. Which makes us look a bit silly (and superstitious and idolatrous,etc).

Upvote 0

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

I think the movement against anything Catholics is worldwide. There is a hidden agenda to tear down the Church of Rome. This is from what I gather online.

Satan hates the truth. If you want to know what is the truth, see what people are attacking, you will see the truth being attacked in front of your eyes. What belongs to Satan is the world. The world hates what is not of the world.

Common sense, information checking is not a common trait amongst those who attack the Church of Rome. Satan is the father of lies. People who do not check their facts first before launching an attack is the children of ...

And, nobody condemned him. He even wanted to throw out the Book of Revelations and James but was ultimately persuaded by his friends to retain these books. [Scripture Alone? by Peters, Joel. This book bears the seal of Imprimatur.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I've noticed that there are many anti-Catholic protestants out there (I know not all protestants are anti-Catholic, but some are) who truly hate Catholicism and the Catholic Church.

Typical arguments I see from AC Protestants are:

"Catholics aren't Christian"
= so aren't the Protestants for their lack of charity in making false statements like this :thumbsup:
"Catholics worship Mary by praying to her"
= No, Catholics do not worship Mary nor do Catholic pray to Mary. Catholics ask Mary to pray to Jesus for them. Mary is there to intercede only.
"Catholics worship the pope"
= I doubt it.What I know Catholics only worship Jesus.
"Catholics worship the sign of the cross and not Jesus"
= hahaha very funny, Who made this up?:D
"Catholicism is a pagan religion"
= and where did Christianity come from?
"Catholics believe in salvation through works"
= (1) saved at baptism (2) being saved (3) saved (after death or upon death)I thought protestants learnt their bible by heart. Tell them to read their bible, Matthew 7:21
[21] Not every one that saith to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven: but he that doth the will of my Father who is in heaven, he shall enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Protestants themselves know of people they can't stand or they themselves make mistakes and behave badly. Can such behaviour lead to heaven? Please ask them to think if someone, a Protestant did something bad, does this mean they can get away with it? And, go straight to heaven?
"Catholics call priests and the pope 'father' because they worship him"
:doh:

Please refer the Protestants to Matthew 23:9
[9] "Call none your father upon earth"... Neither be ye called masters. The meaning is that our Father in heaven is incomparably more to be regarded, than any father upon earth: and no master to be followed, who would lead us away from Christ. But this does not hinder but that we are by the law of God to have a due respect both for our parents and spiritual fathers, (1 Cor. 4. 23: 15,) and for our masters and teachers.
Personally, I have visited the Catholic churches before, never had the intention to worship any Catholic priests nor do I ever want to worship the pope.:cool:

"Catholics held books from the public and burned people for blablabla.."
Read history, never heard of this. It was the authorities at that time that did it. Not the church.
"Catholics were responsible for the Inquisition and the Crusades"
Please ask these Protestants to read their history books. Catholics responded to the need to protect the faith. Many Catholics died, executed by the you know who, because they did not give up their Catholic faith.From my extensive research, [I am interested in Christianity] we would never have heard of Jesus if the crusaders did not defend the faith.

"Hitler was a Catholic"
- What are these Protestants trying to do? Tell stories?:doh:
Etc.. Etc...

These are the sorts of comments that I hear from people mostly online although sometimes people will say them in real life. How can people be this ignorant? Where did such a hatred of the Catholic Church come from and why is it so prominent among a lot of people? I would be very offended if someone walked up to me and told me that I worshiped Mary or something preposterous of the sort.

How should I defend myself from this? Is there a way to inform people like this of the truth?
Learn about your Church. There is undoubtedly an intent by certain Protestants to tear down the Church of Rome.

I got a taste of these horrible Protestants when I first came online to this 'Christian Forum' and openly told people in a thread how I got to know Jesus through Mary.

You guessed it. Got the spat, splatter and another splat. And, I thought Christians would be happy to know, hey they have one more member in their midst.

Found out the hard way. Christians only are happy to have a new member in their midst if you came in their way. Not through Mary.

May the Good Lord protect you.

Cheers,
xTx

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the animosity towards the Catholic Church is twofold.

Firstly there is the historical view. No one can deny that the RCC hierarchy has been “a little bit naughty” throughout history. I mean, the various inquisitions are testament to this. The killing, the torture. This is bad fruit. It’s obvious. The Papacy attempted to rule Christians through canon law and continues to do this today. The RCC is the oldest organized religious institution. But this means that Satan has had more time with it than any other church to infiltrate it from within.

Secondly we have the doctrinal aspect. The RCC hold to certain rituals which many non-Catholics find to be pagan in origin and therefore not Biblical. Most of these things have already been mentioned by previous posters.

I’m not knocking the RCC per se. I mean, the RCC doctrines that people don’t agree with can be traced directly back to Pharisaic Rabbinical Judaism.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,387.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
And, nobody condemned him. He even wanted to throw out the Book of Revelations and James but was ultimately persuaded by his friends to retain these books. [Scripture Alone? by Peters, Joel. This book bears the seal of Imprimatur.]

persuaded by his friends
I'm sure the Holy Spirit had a hand in that too;), as the Holy Spirit did when the ECFs compiled our Bible. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall during those discussions...

In large part I think it is because many of the ritualistic things which Catholics do and believe in, they do more via faith than through reason. However, there is a deep theological meaning behind all of these rites and rituals. But alas few Catholics can explain them to those who ask. Which makes us look a bit silly (and superstitious and idolatrous,etc).

It's my understanding that deeper catechesis is available in the RCC as it is also in ours... for those who desire it; however not all do, and of those who do, not all will be gifted apologists either. Scripture speaks of child like faith being a good thing. In my experience, I have come to admire those who have simple faith and through that faith submit as fully as our sinful nature allows to God's will and His Church.

Upvote 0

MaidenHisImage

Sep 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟7,778.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Coming from a baptist background and going into RCIA, from my own experience, I never hated Catholics but I thought they really do believe a lot of the things I was told by people I wrongfully trusted.

And now I dread letting certain people know that my husband and I are converting. Some people can be reasonable, but others are just hard headed and it's their way or no way at all. We expect we're going to lose some friends, and I can understand that they weren't friends in the first place if they're going to dump us over our choice of the Catholic church. But I dread how they're going to want to try to "rescue" us. They won't hear a thing we have to say and that's always frustrating and sad. They can be so pushy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
One of my good friends is a member of an evangelical church. She does not hate Catholics. We have known each other for ages. When I told her that I say the Hail Mary, she did not mind. We are still good friends. She has prayed with me through all my bad times. I find praying with your own thoughts difficult. That is why I find it easier to repeat properly structured prayers used throughout the ages like the Hail Mary, Our Father etc I even prayer the Hail Mary with her. She has never pushed me to attend her church nor has she done anything wicked or cruel to me just because of my choice of faith. ;)

However, I have personally met people who are really nice to you, but once you mention that you intend to investigate the RCC, they start bashing you like you are the punching bag. Basically, words are used.

Their intention is to get you to come to your senses and not do such a dumb thing. With people like this, I stand my ground and not bother with them much. I do not need 'friends' like them.:D

We only need true friends. God promises in the bible, if we are good, He will send us true friends. I remember reading it somewhere in the bible.

I guess, you will only know who your truest friends are when you do something that the crowd thinks is not cool. :cool:

Upvote 0

MaidenHisImage

Sep 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟7,778.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What a blessing you have in your friend. Give her a hug from me, okay? Friends like that are rare.

A "friend" that I knew I could trust with secrets dumped me when she found out. She didn't want to discuss a thing. She was simply disgusted and stopped speaking to me. Which hurt because I thought she was a good friend. I was about to bust to tell someone our exciting news and thought sure she would understand, so that one really hurt.

We're almost ready to let everyone in on our little secret, but I'm still feeling such dread about it. We're prepared to answer just about every question and "fact" we'll hear. You'd think I'd be prepared for this because I lost a lot of "friends" when I was saved many years ago, but I guess it always stinks to find out people aren't who you thought they were.

Upvote 0

yatcup

Aug 9, 2009
✟7,743.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Some things do not seem to change. The rubbish spouted by ignorant (not all...) Protestants and non-Catholics about Roman Catholics today, is the same rubbish spouted a decade ago. And 25 years ago. And 100 years ago. Its tiresome and annoying.

Most of it is not truly - at its core - evil. Most of it derives from plain old ignorance and anti-intellectualism. Poor education, lack of common sense, and willfully choosing to remain ignorant.

The Church will always have its enemies. The Church will always be persecuted.

But I sympathize with those who (having been RC a long time...) are probably very tired of (and bored with) the same old accusations over and over again.

RCatholics have responded, defeated, and disproved the claims a zillion times. The trouble is, no one seems to listen or care - its become to easy to just shout rhetorical nonsense.

Upvote 0

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I will give my friend a hug when I next see her. Sorry to hear about your friend. It must hurt. New, better friends will come your way. ;)

When I decided to follow the cross, I knew I will be persecuted for my faith. But, [giggle] did not expect persecution from 'Christians' :D Non-RC Christians.

What a shock to experience it first hand. The persecution. From non-RC Christians.

I have been trying to understand the reason behind the persecution. And, what they are trying to achieve by continuously persecuting RCs with lies.

How I see the RC (with all due respect) is this:
- The Pope is the CEO. :thumbsup:
The others; the priests etc ... are the staff.

So, in every organisation, there will be disgruntle staff, they tender in their resignation and leave the 'company.'

These disgruntle staff go and form their own companies. Within their own companies, they become 'disgruntled'. Giving birth to more disgruntle staff who go out into the world to form their own companies. Keeps happening.

What do disgruntle staff do? Correct, they talk bad about the original company. Between the new companies set up by the various disgruntle staff, they have their own feud. But, they will all 'team up' and show their colours to the original company; who loves them and never make up lies about these disgruntle staff and their own companies.

And, in any big organisation, that is made up of human beings, there are people who will cause scandal and give the company a bad name.

More fuel for the 'disgruntle people'. Plus, the people might have ideas about the policies of the company. Etc... bla bla bla bla bla

Now, the centre of the original organisation, the CEO and the staff who are performing well, are doing great:thumbsup:

But, people being people, like to use all the 'bad publicity' to give the CEO and staff and anybody else associated 'us' with the original company a hard time.

The Church will always have its enemies. The Church will always be persecuted.

Matthew 12:25
'And Jesus knowing their thoughts, said to them: Every kingdom divided against itself shall be made desolate: and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand.'

Satan is trying his best to destroy Christianity and put something else, Satan's kingdom in its place. Best way to destroy a kingdom, divide and conquer.

End of theory.

John 17:11
And now I am not in the world, and these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep them in thy name whom thou has given me; that they may be one, as we also are.

John 17:21
That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

John 17:22
And the glory which thou hast given me, I have given to them; that they may be one, as we also are one:

If I understand bible authors correctly, when they repeat something, they are trying to emphasize the importance of what they are writing about.

Please note how many times Jesus prayed for unity of His people.

I will continue to prayer for the unity of Christians. My calling ;)

God bless, in kindness with love, xTx

Upvote 0

MaidenHisImage

Sep 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟7,778.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How I see the RC (with all due respect) is this:
- The Pope is the CEO. :thumbsup:
The others; the priests etc ... are the staff.

So, in every organisation, there will be disgruntle staff, they tender in their resignation and leave the 'company.'

These disgruntle staff go and form their own companies. Within their own companies, they become 'disgruntled'. Giving birth to more disgruntle staff who go out into the world to form their own companies. Keeps happening.

What do disgruntle staff do? Correct, they talk bad about the original company. Between the new companies set up by the various disgruntle staff, they have their own feud. But, they will all 'team up' and show their colours to the original company; who loves them and never make up lies about these disgruntle staff and their own companies.

And, in any big organisation, that is made up of human beings, there are people who will cause scandal and give the company a bad name.

More fuel for the 'disgruntle people'. Plus, the people might have ideas about the policies of the company. Etc... bla bla bla bla bla

Now, the centre of the original organisation, the CEO and the staff who are performing well, are doing great:thumbsup:

But, people being people, like to use all the 'bad publicity' to give the CEO and staff and anybody else associated 'us' with the original company a hard time.

Matthew 12:25
'And Jesus knowing their thoughts, said to them: Every kingdom divided against itself shall be made desolate: and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand.'

Satan is trying his best to destroy Christianity and put something else, Satan's kingdom in its place. Best way to destroy a kingdom, divide and conquer.

End of theory.

That is a very simple way to put it. I agree with your perspective! Nicely put.

God bless you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.