• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Why is the Nicene Creed never sung?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by GoingByzantine, May 14, 2019.

1. GoingByzantine

GoingByzantine Seeking the Narrow Road Supporter

+943
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    When I was an Eastern Catholic, we always sang the Nicene Creed in the same tone as this video:

Since I converted to the Holy Orthodox Church I have never seen the creed sung. Not at my church and not at any of the dozens of Orthodox churches I have visited. Is there a reason for this? Is there a fear that the choir will dominate it and the laity won't profess the creed? I find the Nicene Creed to be beautiful, even more so when it is sung.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Platina

Platina Active Member

+190
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    In my experience, it's generally not sung in the Byzantine tradition but is sung in the Russian tradition (I can't remember how others like Romania, Serbia, Bulgaria do it).

3. GodsGrace101

GodsGrace101 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,615
    Italy
    Christian
    Married
    I agree with your reason as to why it's not sung.
    The words are not readily understandable and it IS a statement of faith.

Would you care to tell me why the E.O. church prefers the creed from 381 to the one of 325?
    What I've learned is that the Early Christians preferred the one from 325; (this was declared at the council of 425 AD. )

4. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+2,130
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    It is an irony of my life that I can’t sing it in English and I can’t just recite it in Russian. It is only sung in my church here in Russia.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  5. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+10,948
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    In our tradition [ Russian] we say the Creed on Weekdays and sing it on Sundays - but it's always in English ;)

We always sang it in the UGCC Church I was in before - but in Ukrainian then

6. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+11,045
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    in the more Russian traditions it is sung in my experience.

7. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,106
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Yes I've heard it sung. The parishes were (iirc) OCA with a heavy influence of Russian parishioners. It was hauntingly beautiful.

I can only recite it, since I've only heard it sung a handful of times.

8. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+102,890
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    :heart: It's beautiful.

Whatsoever things are lovely...

9. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+6,116
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    We always sing it

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,627
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Always sing it here.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. All4Christ

+6,116
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I’ve never heard it spoken except for some weekday services in some parishes. On Sundays I’ve always heard it sung. That said, most of my experience is in OCA or Russian churches.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  12. All4Christ

+6,116
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Which council in 425? I may be missing something, but the main council I know of in that century was the council of Chalcedon in 451. That council ratified the council of Constantinople -thereby ratifying the creed from 381.

13. GodsGrace101

+1,615
    Italy
    Christian
    Married
    Hmmm. Let me see if I could find something online.

14. GodsGrace101

+1,615
    Italy
    Christian
    Married
    @All4Christ

What I know is that the Nicene Creed was written in 325 AD at Nicea.

Then there was a subsequent council in 381 AD that made some changes to it..

and, finally, in 451 AD (I said 425, sorry) it was decided that the Nicene Creed (325 AD) was more acceptable, and that is the one that was ratified.

Here is something:

The Nicene Creed
    It is known for certain that the Nicene Creed was adopted by the Council of Calcedon in 451AD which claimed it was the faith of the Council of Constantinople of 381AD. Its origin however goes back to the Council of Nicea (in modern day Turkey) called in 325AD by the Emperor Constantine to address the Arian controversy. Eusebius submitted a Creed from his own Diocese, Caesarea, and this appears to have formed the basis of the creed propagated at Nicaea although there were other older creeds that could have been considered. The Creed affirmed the unity of God, insisted that Christ was begotten from the Father before all time, and declared that Christ is of the same essence (homoousios) as the Father. It had only a single brief clause on the Holy Spirit. In its present form it appears to have been used by Cyril in Jerusalem and is also mentioned by Epiphanius of Salamis around 373AD.

source: http://archive.churchsociety.org/crossway/documents/Cway_093_CreedsHistory.pdf

15. MariaJLM

MariaJLM Crazy Cat Lady

+1,415
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    CA-Others
    My Ukrainian parish ALWAYS sings it.

16. Mary of Bethany

Mary of Bethany Only one thing is needful. Supporter

+868
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    We (OCA) always sing it, using the same composition you posted. We also always sing the Our Father. I have noticed, the few times I’ve visited Greek or Antiochian parishes that they don’t sing either one.

I’m glad we do sing them.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. All4Christ

+6,116
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I don’t see anything in the text saying that the earlier version was more acceptable. The closest thing I can find is as follows:

Essentially, it says that the initial Nicene Creed was fully accurate. It also states that the exposition of the Nicene Creed (what we have today) is accurate and necessary for uprooting the heresies which had “sprung up”. The updated creed didn’t change or reject the creed initially proclaimed. Rather, it clarified it more in order to address heresies. This, essentially, is how our councils worked - addressing heresies and definitively stating what is the Orthodox faith.

18. GodsGrace101

+1,615
    Italy
    Christian
    Married
    What you posted sounds like a catechism from a church (denomination). It says that the Nicene Creed is pre-eminent. This is what I've always understood to be the case.

I did not mean to imply that the future creeds were not accepted.

19. All4Christ

+6,116
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    So the answer to your question of why we use the longer creed:

The heresies addressed still exist today and always will. The Nicene-Constantinople Creed captures the core of the Christian faith in a creed, including the refutation of common heresies. We proclaim that faith today.