Why is the day of worship controversial?

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Interesting at least. Do you have any information how "that day" was treated?

Acts 20:7-12.

What is troubling is that people neglect the fact that the Jewish community would gather together, in public worship, during the Sabbath in the synagogue. Part of the services in the synagogue was the public reading of Scripture. When one compares the way the early church gathered together, and how they conducted their services, it indicates that they treated it the way Jews treated the Sabbath. This inference shows that a change took place in the view of the church.

Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Really? Apparently you are unfamiliar with the Shabbat practices of Orthodox Judaism. Do you know what Jews do every Saturday? Hint, it is a four-letter word that begins with r and ends with t.

Orthodox Judaism? Do you know what they believe? I will tell you, they aren't as "orthodox" as you may make it out to be. Many believe in the things taught by Maimonides, who was very liberal, believing strange things, including that Scripture can be taken metaphorically.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟368,762.00
Faith
Non-Denom

What is troubling is that people neglect the fact that the Jewish community would gather together, in public worship, during the Sabbath in the synagogue. Part of the services in the synagogue was the public reading of Scripture. When one compares the way the early church gathered together, and how they conducted their services, it indicates that they treated it the way Jews treated the Sabbath. This inference shows that a change took place in the view of the church.

You are making the standard mistake of Reform Judaism in conflating the Temple with the synagogue (or schul). One went to the Temple to offer his sacrifice and to worship. One goes to synagogue to learn.

Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think we can probably safely say that it was not treated as we do today. As in most non-Christian societies, the first day of the week (as well as the rest) was a day of work. Thus, we see that Paul spoke in the upper room on the night of the first day of the week

Acts 20:7 On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to leave the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight. 8 There were many lamps in the upper room where we were gathered together. 9 And there was a young man named Eutychus sitting on the window sill, sinking into a deep sleep; and as Paul kept on talking, he was overcome by sleep and fell down from the third floor and was picked up dead. 10 But Paul went down and fell upon him, and after embracing him, he said, “Do not be troubled, for his life is in him.” 11 When he had gone back up and had broken the bread and eaten, he talked with them a long while until daybreak, and then left. 12 They took away the boy alive, and were greatly comforted.

Eutychus was probably exhausted after a long day of work and thus fell asleep.
The evidence here is the day wasn't treated like the sabbath. Yes I understand several arguments others may present. Interesting they have a couple arguments and have seen at least two for the same person. IOW they don't know and just want to argue.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟368,762.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The evidence here is the day wasn't treated like the sabbath. Yes I understand several arguments others may present. Interesting they have a couple arguments and have seen at least two for the same person. IOW they don't know and just want to argue.

I agree entirely. Thank you.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I think all you have is hot air. Attendance at worship activities has no bearing on the rest of the day. Sure I admit some of the worship activity is based on the synagogue. After all the early church participants were Jews.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The problem seems to be that people today conflate resting with worshiping. The Sabbath was, and is for Jewish people, a day of complete rest. In reading the New Testament the entire concept of worship is extended to one's entire life. For example, in I Thessalonians 5:17 Paul exhorts the Christians to pray without ceasing. He does not limit prayer to a specific place at a specific time, but sees it as a constant state of being for the Christian.

If we delude ourselves into thinking that by attending a church for about an hour or so every week God is happy and all is well, then there is good reason to question our relationship with God.
The part about rest vs worship is true.

for some reason, Sunday Christians think that keeping the Sabbath means that you “worship on Saturday”, instead of resting on the 7th day, as commanded by God & obeyed/taught by Messiah & His Apostles.

As you exemplified, worship should be every day.

the Sabbath is not a day of worship. It’s a day of rest and ceasing, although there is an element of worship included on the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you have some support for your statement? Reference please.

Inferences from the New Testament, like when Jews attended the synagogues on the Sabbath. In practicing the same thing on the first day among Christians, the "assumption" is there.

It doesn't matter, you are stuck from wanting to see further.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Is 66:23 "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall all mankind come before Me to worship"

And at one point someone asked 'what does from mean'?

1 Sam 2:19
19 And his mother would make him a little robe and bring it to him from year to year when she would come up with her husband to offer the yearly sacrifice.

19 Moreover his mother made him a little coat, and brought it to him from year to year, when she came up with her husband to offer the yearly sacrifice.
Here's the full quote from Isaiah.

Isaiah 66:23
"And it shall be from new moon to new moon and from sabbath to sabbath. All mankind will come to bow down before Me,” says the Lord.

From month to month (new moon to new moon) and from week to week (sabbath to sabbath).

You celebrate the sabbath according to the papal calendar. When you should be celebrating the sabbath from the start of the month, i.e., the new moon.

Ever wondered why the day starts in the evening in Genesis?

I will give you one guess?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Or... because... "the saints keep the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:`1
or .. because "do we then abolish the law of God by our faith? God forbid! in fact we establish the LAW" Rom 3:31
or .. because "what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19
or... because "this IS the Love of God - that we KEEP His commandments" 1 John 5:2-3
You got yourself the wrong set of commandments, you grabbed the law by mistake.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The part about rest vs worship is true.

for some reason, Sunday Christians think that keeping the Sabbath means that you “worship on Saturday”, instead of resting on the 7th day, as commanded by God & obeyed/taught by Messiah & His Apostles.

As you exemplified, worship should be every day.

the Sabbath is not a day of worship. It’s a day of rest and ceasing, although there is an element of worship included on the Sabbath.
From the forum here that's what and only what it means to most sabbatarians. If you go by the commandment worship has nothing to do with the sabbath. Few if any Christians follow or transfer the 4th commandment to Sunday.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Inferences from the New Testament, like when Jews attended the synagogues on the Sabbath. In practicing the same thing on the first day among Christians, the "assumption" is there.

It doesn't matter, you are stuck from wanting to see further.
The synagogue didn't exist prior to the Babylonian captivity. It certainly wasn't part of their practice in the desert after leaving Egypt.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The synagogue didn't exist prior to the Babylonian captivity. It certainly wasn't part of their practice in the desert after leaving Egypt.

This is obvious, anyone knows this. I am not making this point, you are assuming I am.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eddie cee

Mar 21, 2019
Sacramento
✟15,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I had a hard time understanding the meaning of "...the Sabbath was made for man..." This cleared it up in my head.

"When Jesus said that the Sabbath was made for man, He was saying that the Sabbath was made to be a blessing to mankind as were all of the Ten Commandments. Jesus is also clarifying that man was made first and then the Sabbath was made afterwards for his well-being. God did not make the Sabbath and then man to serve this day. The Sabbath was made to serve mankind and to be for his benefit as well as being a sign that we are God's children, and it is Him that sanctifies us when we keep His day holy as He commanded."

Mark 2:27-28 - What Does The Sabbath Was Made For Man Mean

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

To some degree yes. In total I'd have to disagree. The synagogue never held a last supper (communion) to my knowledge.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
To some degree yes. In total I'd have to disagree. The synagogue never held a last supper (communion) to my knowledge.

Disagree if you want, I don't need to debate it.

I confess the first day (Lord's day) as the Christian Sabbath, but I personally see no problem if the Christian has their conviction of honoring the seventh day. What troubles me is a denial of the fourth commandment (and creation ordinance) as applicable today. It is a moral truth that we are to set apart one day from seven for God. The Sabbath is meant to be a blessing to us, but many who are contentious about it don't seem to look at it that way as if it were a burden.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Disagree if you want, I don't need to debate it.
Where do you find evidence they celebrated
communion in the synagogue? It's not that I disagree, I just have no information about it.
I confess the first day (Lord's day) as the Christian Sabbath, but I personally see no problem if the Christian has their conviction of honoring the seventh day. What troubles me is a denial of the fourth commandment (and creation ordinance) as applicable today. It is a moral truth that we are to set apart one day from seven for God. The Sabbath is meant to be a blessing to us, but many who are contentious about it don't seem to look at it that way as if it were a burden.
I've no problem with what day people want to worship on. I do have a problem when it's made an issue concerning salvation. I also have a problem with those that make a certain day required regardless of the day.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Where do you find evidence they celebrated
communion in the synagogue? It's not that I disagree, I just have no information about it.I've no problem with what day people want to worship on. I do have a problem when it's made an issue concerning salvation. I also have a problem with those that make a certain day required regardless of the day.

OT Jews before Christ celebrated the Lord's Supper? I can't prove that, sorry.

SDA may make it a salvific issue, but Protestants don't.

Upvote 0