Why is the day of worship controversial?

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ok let's use LUKE 16:16 as an example of you taking the scriptures out of CONTEXT?

Let's look at the scriptures of LUKE 16:16 again in CONTEXT and compare it to the PARALLEL Gospel of MATTHEW 5:17-32. Let's start by adding the CONTEXT back in that you leave out. Then we will look at the same scriptures spoken of in MATTHEW 5.

LUKE 16:16-18
[16], THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS WERE UNTIL JOHN: SINCE THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS PREACHES EVERY MAN PRESSES INTO IT.
[17], And IT IS EASIER FOR HEAVEN AND EARTH TO PASS THEN FOR ONE JOT OR TITTLE of the law to FAIL

NOTE: v16 is in reference to the LAW AND THE PROPHETS. This is a direct reference to the SHADOW laws from the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT that all pointed to JESUS as the coming of the MESSIAH. This was shown in the earlthy SANCTURY services SIN OFFERINGS and Levitical Priesthood. This is outlined in the OLD and NEW TESTAMENT scriptures for example in DAINEL 9:24-27; ISAIAH 7:14; ISAIAH 9:6; MICAH 5:2; ZECHARIAH 9:9; PSALM 22:16-18; ISAIAH 53; PSALM 41:9. The MOSAIC Shadow laws are outmined here in HEBREWS 7; HEBREWS 8; HEBREWS 9 and HEBREWS 10. We will prove this further as we look at the scripture context
There's no evidence in LK 16:17 invalidating verse 16 in whole or part. There's no evidence of your interjection about what law is being talked concerning the "the law and prophets." The law and the prophets" in Scripture is one of the ways the NT talks about the whole law and obligation of Israel.
For example of JESUS it was written in ISAIAH 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; HE WILL MAGNIFY THE LAW AND MAKE IY HONORABLE. The very next verse in LUKE 16:18 says...
It's talking about the law and not us honoring it. Yes Jesus did that very thing by example. Jesus didn't teach the law. It's true that Jesus spoke about the law with the religious leaders upon their question.
[18], Whoever puts away his wife, and marries another, commits adultery: and whoever marries her that is put away from her husband commits adultery.

If your view is correct and there was no more God's LAW (10 Commandments) why is JESUS teaching about ADULTERY?
At the risk of your saying I bring in something not mentioned, I still must ask about Pharaoh recognizing taking another man's wife was wicked when the law hadn't been given. What you're promoting is the law because Adultery is found in the law (famous 10). The wicked talk about it in our courts having no reference to the law or even the Bible.
Let's look now to the PARALLEL Gospel of MATTHEW to contnue looking at the prophecy of ISAIAH 42:21. HE WILL MAGNIFY THE LAW AND MAKE IY HONORABLE.

MATTHEW 5:17-22
[17], THIINK NOT THAT I AM COME TO DESTROY THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS I HAVE NOT COME TO DESTROY BUT TO FULFIL.
[18], For truly I say to you, TILL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS ONE JOT OR TITTLE SHALL IN NO WISE PASS FROM THE LAW TILL ALL BE FULFILLED
[19], WHOSEVER SHALL BREAK ONE OF THE LEAST OF THESE COMMANDMENTS AND SHALL TEACH MEN SO, SHALL BE CALLED LEAST IN THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.
[20], FOR I SAY UNTO YOU THAT UNLESS YOUR RIGHTEOUSNESS SHALL EXCEED THE RIGHTOUESNESS OF THE SCRIBES AND PHARISEES YOU SHALL IN NO WISE ENTER INTO THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.
[21], You have heard that it was said of them of old time, YOU SHALL NOT KILL; and whoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
[22], But I say to you, That WHOESEVER IS ANGRY WITH HIS BROTHER WITHOUT CAUSE WILL BE IN FANGER OF THE JUDGEMENT: and whoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whoever shall say, You fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Which isn't the law or one of the famous 10 indicated by the "but I say..." that starts of verse 22. You ignore that statement of disagreement.
MATTHEW 5:27-28
[27], YOU HAVE HEARD THAT IT WAS SAID BY THEM OF OLD TIME, YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY: [28], BUT I SAY UNTO YOU, THAT WHOSEVER LOOKS ON A WOMAN TO LUST AFTER HER HAS ALREADY COMMITTED ADULTERY WITH HER IN HIS HEART.
ditto with the first phrase of verse 28.
and in..

MATTHEW 5:31-32

[31], It has been said, Whoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorce:
[32], But I say unto you, That whoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causes her to commit adultery: and whoever shall marry her that is divorced commits adultery.
ditto with verse 32.
Once again can you see your error here brother?
No, but I do see your by-passing words creating exegesis problems.
If there was no more of God's LAW (10 Commandments then why is JESUS teaching them?
It's clear that Jesus isn't teaching the law or the letter of the law.
Not only is JESUS teaching them he is magnifying them according to the Prophecy of him in ISAIAH 42:21. HE WILL MAGNIFY THE LAW AND MAKE IY HONORABLE.
No. Essentially Jesus is flat out changing the law.
JESUS came to magnify the LAW from the INSIDE OUT quoting MATTHEW 5:17-32 (thoughts and feelings) in fulfillment of *ISAIAH 42:21. This is to show that unless our RIGHTOUESNESS EXCEEDS the RIGHTOUESNESS of the Scribes and Pharisees we can in no way enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN. Jesus is saying the problem runs deeper then outward observance to the 10 Commandments. EVIL begins in the HEART. BREAKING GOD's 10 COMMANDMENTS from the heart defile a man *MATTHEW 15:18-19. JESUS is saying we can be outwardly perfect and blameless like the Scribes and Pharisee but inwardly like dead mans bones *MATTHEW 23:27-28.
Doesn't matter how many times you say it.
JESUS magnified the LAW to the INSIDE OUT. To show us that we are all sinners in need of a Saviour and that sin originates in the HEART (thoughts and feelings). That is why we have the NEW COVENANT promise to LOVE and need to be BORN AGAIN by Faith in God's WORD for salvation to be free from SIN (breaking any one of God's 10 commandments) *HEBREWS 8:10-12; 1 JOHN 3:3-10.
ditto
When JESUS is talking about LAW AND THE PROPHETS was until JOHN is that the SHADOW laws from the MOSAIC BOOK of the law and prophets all pointed to JESUS. These are not GOD's ETERNAL LAW (10 commandments) that give us the KNOWLEDGE of GOOD and EVIL; SIN and RIGHTOUESNESS *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; PSALMS 119:172. This is proven in the next verses LUKE 16:17-18 and the PARALLEL Gospels of MATTHEW 5:17-32 and all through the NEW TESTAMENT scriptures (Need more scripture? click me)
That's your concept not derived from the Scripture. Jn 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. clearly opposes the fact Jesus brought or even teaches the law.
Can you see your error of interpretation here brother? You left out the context of the scripture you quote.
No, but I do see our disagreement I base on Scripture that give you a migraine headache.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Just looking at the full verse giving meaning to those that follow. Only by the deletion of half the verse are you able to come to your conclusion.

You did not address the post you were responding to and nope everything is in harmony with CONTEXT that you have left out that shows your interpreation is in error.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You claim the rest of the Book of the Law are the laws of Moses while the famous 10 are the laws of God.

Nope I do not. It is God's WORD that says God spoke made and wrote the 10 Commandments not me *EXODUS 32:16; EXODUS 20:1-17 . The same as it is God's WORD that says it was MOSES that spoke, wrote and made the BOOK of the SHADOW laws from the OLD COVENANT *EXODUS 24:7; DEUTERONOMY 31:24-26 as directed by God not me. Where did I say that these are the only laws in God's WORD as you claim? Nope I did not.

Else where you clearly say this unrepentant sin is failure to keep the 7th day sabbath. Why not here? Why do you beat the bushes?

How does what you post above adress with you are quoting from? Wait it doesn't.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You know I should really just report you.
Feel free to do so. Saying something that someone has posted in not true is not accusing them of lying. You are shown from the scriptures why what you have posted is not true.
I wouldn't do that if you considered a whole verse bearing meaning to those that follow or adding in things that aren't there. Nearly 100% of my verses are directly contradicting your presentation. For instance you claim we're obligated to the law when Gal 5 says no and why. You also refuse to accept the truth of LK 16, 22 and 24. Your refuse to accept Jn 3 by adding the law as a requirement. You gloat and condemn from the same verse in Rev 22 which is contrary to Jn 3 and 5. You refuse to accept Rom 7:6 as truth. You refuse to accept 1 Jn. I could go on with more, but you should get the idea of what I'm saying. Yeah I'm probably only going to get a denial.
Not really. It is the other way around. I am only providing you with God's WORD to show you that your interpretation of the scriptures contradicts most of the NEW TESTAMENT scriptures. If you find your interpretation of the scripture contradicts other scriptures in God's WORD it should be a warning sign to you that your interpretation is in error. God's WORD does not contradict itself. GALATIONS 5 supports all the scriptures and everything posted to you. Your claims of LK 16, 22, 24 and 1 JOHN 3 were all responded to with scripture adding the CONTEXT back that shows your error of interpretation. You simply ignored these posts and have not responded to them. I do not gloat about anything. I only share God's WORD with you as my duty of LOVE to you and GOD to correct a brother in error because I want you in God's KINGDOM *2 TIMOTHY 3:16; 1 PETER 3:15; EXEKIEL 3:17-21.
No they show what you believe contrary to the New Covenant. Then lately you're using Eph 2:8 and making statements salvation is by faith in Jesus and grace. That is contrary to the bulk of your posts and your continuance of promoting the law over grace and Jesus for salvation. Your continued condemnation about unrepentant sin (meaning keeping the law) is proof. The odd thing is you don't even keep what you holler about. The evidence is you don't even accept what Moses says.
Nothing you have posted here addresses what you are quoting from and are your words over God's WORD. God's WORD is not my words so your argument is with God not me.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Oh yeah that's right you have the husband representing the flesh against the context. There's no G4561 in the first 5 verses. So the reality is you have the dead husband (you call the flesh) dying and raising from the dead to marry another. It's the wife and not the husband that does the marrying after being freed by death. If you read the rest of the chapter you will easily understand we still live in our carnal body. If you read Rom 8 you will also find out the carnal body isn't subject to the law.
You are confused the word FLESH is not used in relation to the scriptures in ROMANS 7:1-5 except only to draw a prallel to the OLD MAN of ROMANS 6 and the WORD for FLESH used in ROMANS 6 ROMANS 7 and ROMANS 8. Nothing you have posted above has any truth in it.
The problem we have is we're not on the same page or level. Your preaching merit only gratifies the carnal mind.
Your confused, I have said no such thing.
Sin has been pointed out to you without results.
And what would that be? How does this respond to the quote you are responding to which was that KNOWN SIN is anything you KNOW to be SIN and CONTINUE practicing it will keep you out of God's KINGDOM *JAMES 4:17; JAMES 2:10-11; HEBREWS 10:26-27 because those doing so reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23; ROMANS 8:13 ?
How is the law of sin and death activated?
By breaking GOD'S LAW. God's LAW (10 Commandments) gives us the KNOWLEDGE of what SIN is which is breaking anyone of God's 10 commandments *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; JAMES 2:10-11. As PAUL says God's LAW is not the problem SIN is (the desire to break it) *ROMANS 7:7; ROMANS 7:12-13; 14-17. God's LAW is only the mirror we look into to see who we really are in order to seek our Saviour *GALATIANS 3:22-25; JAMES 1:23.
Which you don't understand by the evidence of your posts.
This is your response to God's WORD not mine. Your quoting from ROMANS 7:12-14. So your argument is with God not me and God's WORD disagrees with you.
You quote words you don't understand trying very hard to make them say something they don't.
This is your responses to God's WORD not mine. Your quoting from ROMANS 7:15-24. So your argument is with God not me and God's WORD disagrees with you.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There's no evidence in LK 16:17 invalidating verse 16 in whole or part. There's no evidence of your interjection about what law is being talked concerning the "the law and prophets." The law and the prophets" in Scripture is one of the ways the NT talks about the whole law and obligation of Israel.It's talking about the law and not us honoring it. Yes Jesus did that very thing by example. Jesus didn't teach the law. It's true that Jesus spoke about the law with the religious leaders upon their question.At the risk of your saying I bring in something not mentioned, I still must ask about Pharaoh recognizing taking another man's wife was wicked when the law hadn't been given. What you're promoting is the law because Adultery is found in the law (famous 10). The wicked talk about it in our courts having no reference to the law or even the Bible.Which isn't the law or one of the famous 10 indicated by the "but I say..." that starts of verse 22. You ignore that statement of disagreement.ditto with the first phrase of verse 28.ditto with verse 32.No, but I do see your by-passing words creating exegesis problems. It's clear that Jesus isn't teaching the law or the letter of the law.No. Essentially Jesus is flat out changing the law.

No need to respond to this one as you have not addressed anything in the post and the scriptures that show your interpretation of the scriptures are in error. Your denial of God's WORD is amazing. You simply ignore the posts provided to you in love and the scriptures in them that show your errors of interpretation.

Sadly I do not see any point in trying to continue this discussion with you brother. I will let you have the last say. You need it more then I do.

I hope to see you in God's KINGDOM and will pray for you :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You did not address the post you were responding to and nope everything is in harmony with CONTEXT that you have left out that shows your interpreation is in error.
I most certainly addressed your quote of Scripture and its discussion. You quoted this -

1 Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

You by-passed the highlighted part which I specifically commented on. By doing this you changed the meaning of the rest of your quote by your comments. Your intention is to show the phrase "if we keep his commandments" of verse three to be the famous 10. But there's yet another problem because verse three says - "And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments." The problem is the verse continues talking about Jesus Christ the Righteous. Verse 1 says Jesus Christ the Righteous is our advocate with the Father, which you also left out of your comments. The Father isn't doing anything in 1 Jn 2:1-12.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nope I do not. It is God's WORD that says God spoke made and wrote the 10 Commandments not me *EXODUS 32:16; EXODUS 20:1-17 . The same as it is God's WORD that says it was MOSES that spoke, wrote and made the BOOK of the SHADOW laws from the OLD COVENANT *EXODUS 24:7; DEUTERONOMY 31:24-26 as directed by God not me. Where did I say that these are the only laws in God's WORD as you claim? Nope I did not.
Do you insist the ceremonial laws are what is done away at the cross and not the famous 10?
How does what you post above adress with you are quoting from? Wait it doesn't.
It supports the fact you continually post to me about unrepentant sin that you clearly name else where as the 4th commandment. And your regular unrepentant sin remarks were in your post I quoted in post 877.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Feel free to do so. Saying something that someone has posted in not true is not accusing them of lying. You are shown from the scriptures why what you have posted is not true.
Only when supported by evidence. Merely saying something without support doesn't establish fact. You haven't yet shown anything I've posted as incorrect. You do try to smother me with very long posts.
Not really. It is the other way around. I am only providing you with God's WORD to show you that your interpretation of the scriptures contradicts most of the NEW TESTAMENT scriptures. If you find your interpretation of the scripture contradicts other scriptures in God's WORD it should be a warning sign to you that your interpretation is in error. God's WORD does not contradict itself. GALATIONS 5 supports all the scriptures and everything posted to you. Your claims of LK 16, 22, 24 and 1 JOHN 3 were all responded to with scripture adding the CONTEXT back that shows your error of interpretation. You simply ignored these posts and have not responded to them. I do not gloat about anything. I only share God's WORD with you as my duty of LOVE to you and GOD to correct a brother in error because I want you in God's KINGDOM *2 TIMOTHY 3:16; 1 PETER 3:15; EXEKIEL 3:17-21.
Let's see what Gal 5 actually supports. Here's from Gal 5 -

5 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.

3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?

8 This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you.

9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

10 I have confidence in you through the Lord, that ye will be none otherwise minded: but he that troubleth you shall bear his judgment, whosoever he be.

11 And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.

12 I would they were even cut off which trouble you.

13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Please pay attention to the emphasized portions. I didn't say ignore anything.
Nothing you have posted here addresses what you are quoting from and are your words over God's WORD. God's WORD is not my words so your argument is with God not me.
Oh you didn't bring up Gal 5, right.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are confused the word FLESH is not used in relation to the scriptures in ROMANS 7:1-5 except only to draw a prallel to the OLD MAN of ROMANS 6 and the WORD for FLESH used in ROMANS 6 ROMANS 7 and ROMANS 8. Nothing you have posted above has any truth in it.
Rom 7 has no direct correlation to Rom 6. The concepts are totally independent of each other. The husband in 7:1-5 is the law and dies freeing the wife to marry another. Now if you want to talk about the flesh it's carnal. You try very hard to regulate the carnal body with carnal commandments - Col 2:20-23. Yeah I know you'll make some claim that we're subject to ordinances. They were done away with the blotting out in verse 14.
Your confused, I have said no such thing.
No I'm not confused about the problem we have is we're not on the same page or level. Your preaching merit only gratifies the carnal mind.
And what would that be? How does this respond to the quote you are responding to which was that KNOWN SIN is anything you KNOW to be SIN and CONTINUE practicing it will keep you out of God's KINGDOM *JAMES 4:17; JAMES 2:10-11; HEBREWS 10:26-27 because those doing so reject the gift of God's dear son *ROMANS 6:23; ROMANS 8:13 ?
Very simple - The Christian isn't obligated to the covenant of law (famous 10) in any way. You claim we also have to fulfil the law as Jesus did. That means you don't accept His substitionary work done on our behalf as Gal 5 proves.
By breaking GOD'S LAW. God's LAW (10 Commandments) gives us the KNOWLEDGE of what SIN is which is breaking anyone of God's 10 commandments *ROMANS 3:20; ROMANS 7:7; 1 JOHN 3:4; JAMES 2:10-11. As PAUL says God's LAW is not the problem SIN is (the desire to break it) *ROMANS 7:7; ROMANS 7:12-13; 14-17. God's LAW is only the mirror we look into to see who we really are in order to seek our Saviour *GALATIANS 3:22-25; JAMES 1:23.
As Christians we don't break the covenant of law because it has no jurisdiction over us. We've been delivered from the law (specifically the famous 10 by quote of the 10th). Rom 7:6-7
This is your response to God's WORD not mine. Your quoting from ROMANS 7:12-14. So your argument is with God not me and God's WORD disagrees with you.
Only by quoting your post did I quote Rom 7:12-14. The quote doesn't belong to me. I did say you don't understand it.
This is your responses to God's WORD not mine. Your quoting from ROMANS 7:15-24. So your argument is with God not me and God's WORD disagrees with you.
Only by quoting your post did I quote Rom 7:15-24. The quote doesn't belong to me. I did say you don't understand it.

• Winner
Reactions: Cribstyl
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No need to respond to this one as you have not addressed anything in the post and the scriptures that show your interpretation of the scriptures are in error. Your denial of God's WORD is amazing. You simply ignore the posts provided to you in love and the scriptures in them that show your errors of interpretation. Sadly I do not see any point in trying to continue this discussion with you brother. I hope to see you in God's KINGDOM and will pray for you.
The only thing I denied is what you believe. I didn't deny any Scripture.

Please don't waste your prayers on me.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The existence of this post Why is the day of worship controversial? being constantly denied -

Romans 6-7:1 isn't the context of chapter 7. It discusses obligation in a very different way. In chapter 6 it is us who have died (to the law). In 7:2-3 it's the law that has died. Either way the law has no effect on or authority over the Christian. That means the Christian is free from the law (famous 10 by context - 7:7).Amen to verse 7. A dead man is indeed free from sin. He can no longer do anything. the problem arises because you seem to raise this dead man back to life and sin (obligation to the law). Something is alive because it has action according to verse 6 and has a problem according to verse 1. Evidently it can still sin. It can't be the body of flesh (or the carnal mind). Paul addresses this concept in Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. The problem with a living sacrifice is it keeps crawling off the altar. The flesh (and carnal mind) has not yet actually deceased. If it was, there'd be no war between the two (carnal mind and the soul) acknowledged by Paul in 7:14-25.

What is this newness of life? It can't be the same old thing. Jeremiah says a new (not continued and amended) covenant which isn't like the one given to their fathers. What you promote is a continuation of the same old thing.He that is dead is also free from the law.

No. you added in God's law (famous 10). That is eisegesis called false doctrine. It doesn't say alive by the law in Jesus Christ. We live in Jesus, not the law. Read the Scripture you post. Now you even say we're alive in Jesus Christ. I can agree with that. Being alive in Jesus Christ isn't being alive in the law.Please note verse 14 you quote above. It says don't let sin reign over you in the first part of the verse. It give the reason in the second part of the verse. That reason is because we're under grace - not the law.

And verse 15 says we're not under the law. What law is being talked about. Does ceremonial items of the law cause us to sin? You say no because your claim is those things of the law were nailed to the cross and use Hebrews to back it up. Yes the 4th commandment is ceremonial. Remembering anything by celebration is ceremonial especially if a day is set aside for it. So what law are you talking about? It can only be the non ceremonial parts of the law. You don't keep that either. So your whole argument is only a facade. No and you'll not listen. You write specifically about the famous 10 here. Jeremiah says they'll be replaced by a new and different covenant. We are delivered from death by Jesus alone, see the Gospel of John.
Yes we're servants of righteousness. We're also not servants of the law. I'd love to quote you many verses, but it would only make the post unbearably long. So three is good enough.

Rom 3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

Rom 9:31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.

Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.Thank you, I'll take the gift and you can have my wages.
No.Yes and the husband (the law) of Rom 7 died and we're married to another, Jesus.The more you flash the last half of the verse in front of me the more tempting it is to comment on. So here goes -

We serve in newness of spirit - not the oldness of the letter. The letter here is the law (famous 10) by context of verse 7. Just more evidence we're delivered (free) from the law (famous 10 - letter). Righteousness doesn't stem from obedience to the law (famous 10 - letter). See Rom 3 and 4. Righteousness is manifest with out the law.It's not me that presents dead to the law. 7:4

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I really want to know. I would hope that any posters here will back up their argument with Scripture. Why do you worship on a particular day seems to be a good question?

My conscience, bound by the word of God and the light of nature, compels me to honor one day as a day of rest to the Lord. From the creation of the world until Jesus, this day was the seventh day. From Jesus' resurrection until the close of the age, this day is the first day of the week. I am bound by the living word of God that since the resurrection of Jesus, as we read in the book of Acts, the early church would set apart the first day of the week to break bread and fellowship. How they treated that day showed that they honored it as holy, and an indication that the Sabbath has changed days. While they reached the lost Jewish people in the synagogues on the traditional Sabbath, they would set apart the next day after for their own time to worship, fellowship, and honor God as a church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The problem seems to be that people today conflate resting with worshiping. The Sabbath was, and is for Jewish people, a day of complete rest. In reading the New Testament the entire concept of worship is extended to one's entire life. For example, in I Thessalonians 5:17 Paul exhorts the Christians to pray without ceasing. He does not limit prayer to a specific place at a specific time, but sees it as a constant state of being for the Christian.

If we delude ourselves into thinking that by attending a church for about an hour or so every week God is happy and all is well, then there is good reason to question our relationship with God.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My conscience, bound by the word of God and the light of nature, compels me to honor one day as a day of rest to the Lord. From the creation of the world until Jesus, this day was the seventh day. From Jesus' resurrection until the close of the age, this day is the first day of the week. I am bound by the living word of God that since the resurrection of Jesus, as we read in the book of Acts, the early church would set apart the first day of the week to break bread and fellowship. How they treated that day showed that they honored it as holy, and an indication that the Sabbath has changed days. While they reached the lost Jewish people in the synagogues on the traditional Sabbath, they would set apart the next day after for their own time to worship, fellowship, and honor God as a church.

Interesting at least. Do you have any information how "that day" was treated?

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Interesting at least. Do you have any information how "that day" was treated?

I think we can probably safely say that it was not treated as we do today. As in most non-Christian societies, the first day of the week (as well as the rest) was a day of work. Thus, we see that Paul spoke in the upper room on the night of the first day of the week

Acts 20:7 On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to leave the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight. 8 There were many lamps in the upper room where we were gathered together. 9 And there was a young man named Eutychus sitting on the window sill, sinking into a deep sleep; and as Paul kept on talking, he was overcome by sleep and fell down from the third floor and was picked up dead. 10 But Paul went down and fell upon him, and after embracing him, he said, “Do not be troubled, for his life is in him.” 11 When he had gone back up and had broken the bread and eaten, he talked with them a long while until daybreak, and then left. 12 They took away the boy alive, and were greatly comforted.

Eutychus was probably exhausted after a long day of work and thus fell asleep.

• Agree
Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The problem seems to be that people today conflate resting with worshiping. The Sabbath was, and is for Jewish people, a day of complete rest. In reading the New Testament the entire concept of worship is extended to one's entire life. For example, in I Thessalonians 5:17 Paul exhorts the Christians to pray without ceasing. He does not limit prayer to a specific place at a specific time, but sees it as a constant state of being for the Christian.

If we delude ourselves into thinking that by attending a church for about an hour or so every week God is happy and all is well, then there is good reason to question our relationship with God.

You fail to realize that public and private worship was a major component to the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟362,269.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You fail to realize that public and private worship was a major component to the Sabbath.

Really? Apparently you are unfamiliar with the Shabbat practices of Orthodox Judaism. Do you know what Jews do every Saturday? Hint, it is a four-letter word that begins with r and ends with t.

Upvote 0