Why is the Bible so hard to understand?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God didn't intend that scripture would be easy to understand. The only way to understand what God intended was to rely on God's Holy Spirit but people are prideful and think that they can understand it through using their intellect. That is why understanding is confused.

I think it is a combination of using both the Holy Spirit and intellect. God is a God of order and not confusion. Intellect or intelligence or logic is merely a thing God created us to use. God gave us a brain for a reason. But of course this is not at the expense of the Holy Spirit guiding us ultimately into all truth. We must pray to the Lord and ask for the Spirit’s understanding on what He is saying and not how we want things to be. One has to also read the context or the proceeding chapters (and sometimes a few following chapters) to get a general flavor or theme overall when looking at a verse or word in Scripture, too. Many times Christians tend to rip verses or words out of the Bible out of context.

You said:
Many years ago the Holy Spirit spoke to me and said, " The Tree of Life is Jesus, the Tree of Knowledge is the Law, and the Tower of Babylon represents all those who try to attain heaven through their own means, including many Christians".

I think most Christians have come to the conclusion that the Tree of Life is Jesus (Which is something the Spirit will no doubt teach those who are open to such a truth). We all must first be saved by God’s grace through faith in Jesus Christ without any works or any kind of Law. Being initially saved by God’s grace can include believing the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 in that Christ died for our sins, He was buried, and He was risen three says later for our salvation. Being initially saved by God’s grace can include seeking forgiveness of one’s sinful past life with the Lord Jesus Christ by way of prayer to Him (Romans 10:13). Being initially saved by God’s grace can include receiving Jesus as one’s Savior and or simply believing in His name for their salvation (John 1:12).

But being initially saved by God’s grace is not the same as the secondary aspect of salvation that continues in a believer’s life (after they are first saved by God’s grace), though. For while we are saved initially by a belief in the gospel in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 (salvation by God’s grace), we also need to answer the call of the gospel in 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14. The call of the gospel (not that it is the gospel) is that… God has chosen you to salvation through Sanctification of the Spirit and a belief of the truth. Please read the passage for yourself. Read it and believe it. However, most Christians simply reject the plain reading of this passage because of what they have been taught by their church that allows for them to sin and still be saved on some level.

For a more in-depth explanation on the next step of salvation for the believer after being saved by God’s grace, check out this CF thread here:

The Four Aspects of Salvation.

As for your statement that the Tree of Knowledge is the Law:

This sounds like you are referring to the Mosaic Law (the 613 Laws of Moses). If this is the case, then such a statement would not be accurate for our day. Maybe this would have been true when the Old Covenant was in effect before the death of Christ. But this would not be true today because the 613 Laws of Moses was a contract given to Israel and not the church. Yes, certain moral laws (like do not murder, do not steal, do not covet, etc.) have been repeated by the commands given to us by Jesus and His followers in the New Covenant (or New Contract), but we look to the New Testament primarily to follow the Lord now and not the Old because we are New Covenant believers and not Old Covenant believers. So believers today (Christians) do not have to keep things like the Saturday Sabbath, circumcision, dietary laws, holy days, animal sacrifices, and they are not required to throw stones at others if they break the OT Law. This is why Hebrews 7:12 basically says the Law has changed.

Now, Paul also could have maybe said this phrase (i.e. The Tree of Knowledge is the Law) as a reference to God’s current NT moral Laws repeated out of the Old Law in how they are being misused. For Paul would have to word this message in such a way so as to attack Law ALONE Salvationism as a way of pointing to how the believer can only obey New Covenant Law properly (if ONLY after they first saved by God’s grace). For you have to understand that the Jews rejected their own Messiah and made salvation all by the Works of the Law of Moses (that rejected God’s grace). Paul could say that Law in general (even obeying God perfectly) will not save a person if they are not first saved by God’s grace and their past slate of sin is wiped out.

Anyways, speaking of the Jews desire to make salvation all about the Law:
You must know that there were a certain sect of Jews who were trying to deceive Christians into thinking they had to first be circumcised in order to be saved. Please read Acts of the Apostles 15:1, Acts of the Apostles 15:5, and Acts of the Apostles 15:24. Okay. Did you read these verses? Stop if you have not done so. Please carefully examine all the words being spoken here in the King James Bible. Please read very slowly and digest the words in what these verses say. It’s clear if you were to have read these three verses that Jews were trying to deceive Christians into thinking they had to be INITIALLY saved by being circumcised. This is a huge problem. For if a person under the New Covenant thought they had to be circumcised in order to FIRST be saved then they would be making a WORK or the LAW the entrance gate and foundation of their salvation and not faith in Jesus Christ as their Savior and His grace and mercy. This is why Paul spoke in the way that he did in Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:3-5, and Titus 3:5. For Paul also fought against this heresy of being circumcised initially to be saved. For Paul said if you seek to be circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing (Galatians 5:2).

For Paul was not against holy living by the Spirit as a part of God’s plan of salvation after we are saved by God’s grace. For Paul said shall we continue in sin so that grace may abound? God forbid (Romans 6:1-2). Paul basically says a person can deny God being reprobate unto every good work (Titus 1:16). Paul says if any man does not agree with the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine according to godliness, they are proud and they know nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4). James 4:6 says God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble. In other words, obviously if a person justifies sin, they are proud and they are resisting God’s grace. For God’s grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world (Titus 2:11-12). For God’s grace is not a license for immorality (Jude 1:4). Also see Romans 8:13, too.

You said:
In Genesis, God confused the languages of the people. This could be used to show the many interpretations of scripture and how the are so many different Christian Churches. The differences started shortly after Jesus's death and got worse over the years.

I can see the parallel between what happened at Babel and with the differences of beliefs in the churches today.

However, it must be noted that even the nation of Israel misunderstood His Word. They missed their own Messiah and thereby missed all the meaning of all the Messianic prophecies. So it’s nothing new that men do not understand His Word. Even Christ’s own disciples did not understand Jesus’ words on what He meant when He spoke of His death and resurrection. Even when Jesus had risen from the grave, the disciples (except for John) were still in disbelief when the women told him about how they seen Jesus. Peter and the other disciples did not understand the great commission initially when Jesus gave those words to go out unto all nations and to preach the gospel to every creature. They thought initially this would be the Jewish person in every nation. For Peter and the other Messianic Jews ended up learning later of the inclusion of the Gentiles into God’s program with Cornelius. There was also heresies that Paul himself was addressing in the early church. So misunderstanding of God’s Word is something that was even in the early church. Did it get worse since the early church? Well, in the last days men shall be lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God. They will have a form of godliness but they will deny the power thereof. Meaning, they deny the power of God to overcome mortal sin in their lives. They think they will be slaves to grievous sin (the Bible condemns), and yet they are still saved while they do such sins (on occasion or all the time).

We know unbelievers receive not the love of the truth (Jesus) that they might be saved.

2 Thessalonians 2:10-12 says,
10 “And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.”

But I think receiving the love of the truth also includes the test of receiving the words of Jesus and the words of His followers (According to NT Scripture), too. Believers need to live righteously. For unbelievers are damned because they believed not the truth (Jesus and His words) and they had pleasure in unrighteousness (sin - or the breaking of our Lord’s words). For this reason any who does not receive the words of Jesus and they have pleasure in unrighteousness, God will send them a strong delusion to believe a lie (Which include even the self professing believer in Jesus). For the Jesus we read in the Bible never justified sin or allowed anyone to think the same way. Yet, when I look at most churches today, they are not for holy living as a requirement to enter the Kingdom after they are saved by God’s grace. They actually teach one can sin and still be saved on some level. Some try to scramble and back end holy living into the mix by saying a true believer is not saved by living holy but they will automatically do so because of their changed nature in being born again. But see…. This is still an excuse or safety net to sin if holy living is not a requirement in the salvation equation. It gives room for the believer to live like the prodigal son their whole lives or at certain points of their life up until they die (with them being defeat to their true Master… which is sin). However, Paul says sin shall not have dominion over us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To all:

The Bible is like a road map. It is our guide to light and understanding to get where we need to go (Which is to being with the Lord Jesus and His good Kingdom). But some try to make up their own rules and not follow the road map exactly. They follow the road map only to an extent. Therefore, they are confused on the Bible in what it says in many places. They have a hard time trying to reconcile their personal beliefs or their church’s personal beliefs with what the Bible says. Perhaps their personal beliefs have won out. Maybe they rejected parts of the instructions of God’s road map (the Holy Bible) and they are now simply unable to see what it truly says. Thereby, they have no full or complete or proper understanding on God’s Word.

Most churches today need to believe 1 Timothy 6:3-4 more in what it plainly says.
Right now, most in my experience appear to be justifying sin or they teach a grace that gives us a safety net to sin in some way our whole lives up until death. While I do believe there is grace if we do honestly stumble (1 John 2:1-2, 1 John 1:9, Psalms 51), I don’t believe God intended the New Covenant saint or believer to be slaves to mortal sin our whole lives. But many today will declare sin as their banner flag in that they believe that they must commit some kind of sin (of which the Bible condemns with warnings of hellfire and or condemnation); They believe they must do such sins again as some point in their future life. For many will falsely say… “Once a son… always a son.” (However, they do not realize the truth that the servant of sin will not abide in the house of God forever - See: John 8:34-35, then see Matthew 13:41-42). Anyways, most believers today will say that the prodigal son is always still a son even while he was prodigal. So they are basically saying he was saved while he was living it up with prostitutes while he was prodigal. However, this is turning God’s grace into a license for immorality, though (Jude 1:4).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with all of this except the last sentence. There has always been confusion about the Bible.
I meant among Christians with the last line. I agree with you that confusion has always been with scripture. Jews had many factions which had different beliefs.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To all:

The Bible is like a road map. It is our guide to light and understanding to get where we need to go (Which is to being with the Lord Jesus and His good Kingdom). But some try to make up their own rules and not follow the road map exactly. They follow the road map only to an extent. Therefore, they are confused on the Bible in what it says in many places. They have a hard time trying to reconcile their personal beliefs or their church’s personal beliefs with what the Bible says. Perhaps their personal beliefs have won out. Maybe they rejected parts of the instructions of God’s road map (the Holy Bible) and they are now simply unable to see what it truly says. Thereby, they have no full or complete or proper understanding on God’s Word.

Most churches today need to believe 1 Timothy 6:3-4 more in what it plainly says.
Right now, most in my experience appear to be justifying sin or they teach a grace that gives us a safety net to sin in some way our whole lives up until death. While I do believe there is grace if we do honestly stumble (1 John 2:1-2, 1 John 1:9, Psalms 51), I don’t believe God intended the New Covenant saint or believer to be slaves to mortal sin our whole lives. But many today will declare sin as their banner flag in that they believe that they must commit some kind of sin (of which the Bible condemns with warnings of hellfire and or condemnation); They believe they must do such sins again as some point in their future life. For many will falsely say… “Once a son… always a son.” (However, they do not realize the truth that the servant of sin will not abide in the house of God forever - See: John 8:34-35, then see Matthew 13:41-42). Anyways, most believers today will say that the prodigal son is always still a son even while he was prodigal. So they are basically saying he was saved while he was living it up with prostitutes while he was prodigal. However, this is turning God’s grace into a license for immorality, though (Jude 1:4).
1 Tim. 6 is a good example of pride. We cannot please God by trying to follow the Law. We can only please God by surrendering to his Spirit and allow that Spirit lead us to obedience. Thus, it is God's work and not man's which is our salvation. Jesus completed the work on the cross and God gave us life through his Spirit.

• Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 Tim. 6 is a good example of pride. We cannot please God by trying to follow the Law. We can only please God by surrendering to his Spirit and allow that Spirit lead us to obedience. Thus, it is God's work and not man's which is our salvation. Jesus completed the work on the cross and God gave us life through his Spirit.

First, nowhere did I say that we can obey without the Spirit and neither did I say that we can obey without surrendering to God. So you are assuming something I never said. Second, Jesus said if you love me, keep my commandments (John 14:15). Also, if salvation was completed all on the cross, then that means Universalism is true, and everyone is saved (But we know by God’s Word that such is not the case - of which I am sure you will agree). Three, to believe in Jesus is even a commandment or Law (1 John 3:23). Granted, believers must first be saved by God’s grace and mercy without any works to begin with, but afterwards they need to abide in the Lord and His good ways in order to continue or maintain their salvation. Any or all good works a believer does is the Lord working through them. So this is why salvation is of God (under our free will cooperation). For God does not force us to be saved. We must choose this day in whom we will serve. We must work out our salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12).

Again, I challenge you to look at 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14. Read it very slowly.
So being saved by God’s grace is just the entrance to God’s plan of salvation for us.
If not, one can live like the devil and be saved by having a belief alone on Jesus.

Also, read slowly Romans 8:13, Titus 1:16, etc.

As for your baseless claim that 1 Timothy 6 is teaching that we cannot please God by following the Law:

Well, for one, I don’t believe in following the 613 Laws of Moses. For these sets of Laws were given to Israel and not the church. Two, I don’t believe a believer can save themselves by Law ALONE without first being saved by God’s grace. Three, if you were to read 1 Timothy 6:3-4 and believe it and the other verses in that chapter it all talks about holy living and how that is tied to being a part of God’s kingdom.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,499.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God didn't intend that scripture would be easy to understand.

I'm not sure about that.
Sure, parables often have more than one meaning and require study, "end times" theology is not easy to understand, nor are concepts like the Trinity - we worship an eternal, almighty, infinite God and we are trying to understand him with human, finite, fallible minds.
The Bible is relatively easy to understand, otherwise non Christians, Children and people with learning disabilities would not be able to read it. I have read testimonies of people who have read a Gospel and been really struck by the person, and claims of, Jesus. I believe God reveals himself to people, rather than making it difficult for them to find him.
That said, we do need the Holy Spirit to help us to read, understand and apply God's word to our lives.

In Genesis, God confused the languages of the people. This could be used to show the many interpretations of scripture and how the are so many different Christian Churches.

Not really.
People wanted to build a tower in Babel and said "let's build it so high that it reaches to the heavens and we will be able to make a name for ourselves", Genesis 11:4.
In other words, they wanted to reach the heavens, where they believed God lived, by themselves, using their own skill - and they wanted to become famous for what they had done.
There are other accounts in Scripture of people who tried to become equal with God, like God or wanted to have the same power as God. One was Lucifer, who tried to overthrow God and was thrown out of heaven, another was King Herod, who was acclaimed as a god, did nothing to correct that view and was struck down and died, Acts of the Apostles 12:21-23.

God confused the language of the people in Babel so that they could not work together and achieve their goal of making a name for themselves, or "reaching the heavens"; had they succeeded in that, they may well have died.

I don't believe this is the same as people who have said, "you don't believe what we believe; we're going to start our own church". Denominations, and the inevitable division that they bring, are from humans, not from God.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
First, nowhere did I say that we can obey without the Spirit and neither did I say that we can obey without surrendering to God. So you are assuming something I never said. Second, Jesus said if you love me, keep my commandments (John 14:15). Also, if salvation was completed all on the cross, then that means Universalism is true, and everyone is saved (But we know by God’s Word that such is not the case - of which I am sure you will agree). Three, to believe in Jesus is even a commandment or Law (1 John 3:23). Granted, believers must first be saved by God’s grace and mercy without any works to begin with, but afterwards they need to abide in the Lord and His good ways in order to continue or maintain their salvation. Any or all good works a believer does is the Lord working through them. So this is why salvation is of God (under our free will cooperation). For God does not force us to be saved. We must choose this day in whom we will serve. We must work out our salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12).

Again, I challenge you to look at 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14. Read it very slowly.
So being saved by God’s grace is just the entrance to God’s plan of salvation for us.
If not, one can live like the devil and be saved by having a belief alone on Jesus.

Also, read slowly Romans 8:13, Titus 1:16, etc.

As for your baseless claim that 1 Timothy 6 is teaching that we cannot please God by following the Law:

Well, for one, I don’t believe in following the 613 Laws of Moses. For these sets of Laws were given to Israel and not the church. Two, I don’t believe a believer can save themselves by Law ALONE without first being saved by God’s grace. Three, if you were to read 1 Timothy 6:3-4 and believe it and the other verses in that chapter it all talks about holy living and how that is tied to being a part of God’s kingdom.
I'm not assuming anything, you are. I was reflecting in the scripture which you provided, not challenging what you wrote. Please read with the Spirit and not your mind.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not assuming anything, you are. I was reflecting in the scripture which you provided, not challenging what you wrote. Please read with the Spirit and not your mind.

This really does not address anything that I actually said with God’s Word. You are just hitting the disagree button. Is that what we have come to? To just disagree and not really discuss these matters with God’s Word? Anyone can disagree and offer an opinion until the cows come home (but that does not mean they are correct if they offer no case with the Bible in how they are correct). For it is another matter to prove what one says with God’s Word. I just don’t see you doing that. So if what you say is true, please back up what you say with God’s Word. If not there is no real purpose in having a meaningful discussion.

May God bless you (even if we disagree over God’s Word).

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This really does not address anything that I actually said with God’s Word. You are just hitting the disagree button. Is that what we have come to? To just disagree and not really discuss these matters with God’s Word? Anyone can disagree and offer an opinion until the cows come home (but that does not mean they are correct if they offer no case with the Bible in how they are correct). For it is another matter to prove what one says with God’s Word. I just don’t see you doing that. So if what you say is true, please back up what you say with God’s Word. If not there is no real purpose in having a meaningful discussion.

May God bless you (even if we disagree over God’s Word).
You seem to have a problem understanding what has been written. I haven't disagreed with you.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You would think God wanted to make the Bible a very easy book to understand so no Christian reader can misinterpret anything. It is His Word. He knows our limitations. What is the purpose of making people need help figuring out what everything means and allowing interpretations to be wrong?

This problem is why we have totally different opinions on things like evolution, infant baptisms, alcohol, and Communion. It is why we do not all agree on when Jesus was conceived and born, crucified, and risen. All this is even among Bible scholars with college degrees in theology.
That’s a refreshingly honest statement. The Bible was never intended to serve as some sort of clear and exhaustive, organized catechism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You mean it is just an un-commandeered record of events and teachings?
Apart from Christ’s disciples neither the Bereans or the Ethiopian Eunuch, as examples, could adequately understand Scripture on their own. And that’s why we have so much confusion and disagreements over its meaning, between people who go strictly by the Bible, to this day.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The OP indicates that the Bible is hard to understand. What does that mean exactly? There are many translations to choose from all the way from the archaic, difficult to understand King James version to the easy to understand The Message paraphrase.

If it's difficult because of the subject matter, then one needs to understand the time period and culture of the Biblical eras. It might be helpful to describe what "understanding" means as there is nothing in the receptor language that is outside of most people's knowledge in a modern translation.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,760.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And that’s why we have so much confusion and disagreements over its meaning, between people who go strictly by the Bible, to this day.
That is coming from the side that believes authority of church over scripture I presume.

• Agree
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That is coming from the side that believes authority of church over scripture I presume.
Not quite. It’s coming from someone who’s realized that the historical teachings of the church, received even before the New Testament was written, offer light for correct understanding of Scripture, often resolving issues that may divide others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The OP indicates that the Bible is hard to understand. What does that mean exactly? There are many translations to choose from all the way from the archaic, difficult to understand King James version to the easy to understand The Message paraphrase.

If it's difficult because of the subject matter, then one needs to understand the time period and culture of the Biblical eras. It might be helpful to describe what "understanding" means as there is nothing in the receptor language that is outside of most people's knowledge in a modern translation.

I would say that one reason it may be difficult for some to understand God’s Word is that they have their own preconceived beliefs going in, as well. They have to sometimes unlearn what the popular churches teach on certain things, and or they have to not go by their own thoughts of how they think things should be in the Holy Bible. But I believe that asking God for the true understanding is the key. That’s why we are to have a relationship with God. I believe the challenge in understanding His Word exists so that we can draw closer to Him whereby He draws closer to us. For it’s about pursuing God, both in our study, prayer, and in allowing Him to do the good work through us in the Sanctification Process. God is good. God is forever wise. Let His name be praised for His good word, and good ways (Which shines forth His love towards us).

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟303,760.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Not quite. It’s coming from someone who’s realized that the historical teachings of the church, received even before the New Testament was written, offer light for correct understanding of Scripture, often resolving issues that may divide others.
Does it focus on the Gospel of the Kingdom and the lifestyle of the original church, the Way which predates the institution?

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Does it focus on the Gospel of the Kingdom and the lifestyle of the original church, the Way which predates the institution?
IMO the basic teachings today on what God does for and expects from man are consistent with the ancient churches in the east and west as well as the testimony of the ECFs. And I think that, while the message has remained intact, it's actually understood and taught better and better these days, the message that God is love and desires that we all love as He does, a work that He, alone, can accomplish in us as He's enthroned as our God again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0