NW England
✟1,052,515.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, there is no real point to continue this discussion even though want to endlessly discuss it. I am not really interested in talking to you about it if you are so antagonistic towards what I believe God’s Word teaches.

Now that is not really fair.
I have said a number of times that you are entitled to your beliefs and the if the KJV increases your faith and love for the Lord, I am delighted.
I am happy for anyone to read the Bible.
I am happy for anyone to read the KJV.
I am NOT happy for people to claim that I read a "corrupt" bible - which they do, when knowing that I read a more modern translation of the Bible, they say that modern versions are "corrupt". I am not happy when they state the superiority and supremacy of the KJV.

If you feel threatened by a conversation with someone who does not believe that ONLY the KJV is the word of God; I can't help you.

All I can do is point you to the truth. I cannot force you to see it.

Jesus is the Truth and THE Word of God - and I learned about him through reading the NEB, Good News Bible and NIV.

Side Note:

I will make a note to never discuss this topic directly with you again.

Your choice.

If I were to address your illogical claims in the future on this topic, I will do so only indirectly as if addressing a crowd,

You can't answer my "illogical" claims.
You have no answer for the fact that I am a born again, Bible believing, Trinity accepting child of God, just as you are. I'm sorry; I mean no antagonism but that is simply a fact.
I've said, more than once, that the KJV and NIV, for example, have the same Gospel.
I've shown you that John 1:1 has exactly the same words in the NIV, and other versions, as the KJV - yet you continue to insist that the "corrupt" Bibles demote Jesus or water down his claims.
I have also said that I believe in the Trinity, and I learned about it through other Bibles. Again, that is simply a fact.

but we are done talking on this topic one on one. At least, I will strive to remember to not discuss this issue with you again. May you be at peace with the Lord.

You too.
But I'm afraid that if I see you, or anyone else, claiming that the KJV is perfect, divine and the only word of God, and that other versions are tainted or corrupt, I will answer.
Whether or not you reply back to me, doesn't really matter - other people do not deserve to be told that they are reading an inferior Bible or one which does not have the true, or full, word of God.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,107.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If I understand what you're saying, how do you know what's in a person's mind when they read the Bible? Are you just making a blanket condemnation based on no proof?
No person is free from preconceived notions, considering the world has laid it's trip on mankind since birth. The Bible is a book built upon the contrast between the Kingdom and the world of man which we have made in our own image. Which viewpoint will have the upper hand in reading about the represented conflict in the two natures?

The worldly one of course, which is why the Bible is so hard for many to understand. They are not readily open to an alternate way of life as presented by Jesus. So even in their theology they try and make the Kingdom over in their own image and failing that, they simply ignore and go on to a different gospel. Tradition takes over, the worldly blind lead the blind, and once again the Adversary wins in keeping mankind thinking within this domain.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You would think God wanted to make the Bible a very easy book to understand so no Christian reader can misinterpret anything. It is His Word. He knows our limitations. What is the purpose of making people need help figuring out what everything means and allowing interpretations to be wrong?

This problem is why we have totally different opinions on things like evolution, infant baptisms, alcohol, and Communion. It is why we do not all agree on when Jesus was conceived and born, crucified, and risen. All this is even among Bible scholars with college degrees in theology.

The Bible is not difficult to understand. Especially if one reads a translation in their native language. Since everyone on this forum whose posts I have read communicates in modern English, then a modern English translation such as the NIV, NET, NRSV, ESV is the best.

The main problem is not understanding what is written but in understanding what it meant to the hearers of that time. (Most people were illiterate.) We do not live in the cultures described in the Bible. We are not Pharaoh's slaves, we are not wandering in the desert, we are not a pastoral society, raising sheep and goats or growing subsistence crops, we are not taking ancient watercraft into the Mediterranean, etc. Subsequently, some of Jesus' parables are difficult to relate to, such as sowing our seed in rocky places or hunting for a lost sheep or... However, we must project our thoughts back to that time as best as we can. The Holy Spirit will reveal what He wants us to know.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No person is free from preconceived notions, considering the world has laid it's trip on mankind since birth. The Bible is a book built upon the contrast between the Kingdom and the world of man which we have made in our own image. Which viewpoint will have the upper hand in reading about the represented conflict in the two natures?

The worldly one of course, which is why the Bible is so hard for many to understand. They are not readily open to an alternate way of life as presented by Jesus. So even in their theology they try and make the Kingdom over in their own image and failing that, they simply ignore and go on to a different gospel. Tradition takes over, the worldly blind lead the blind, and once again the Adversary wins in keeping mankind thinking within this domain.

It's always a "red flag" for me when "the many" are judged. How do you know that "the many" are not readily open to an alternate way of life as presented by Jesus? Have you conducted a poll, or are you just judging others? Matthew 7:1-2, "“Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For by the standard you judge you will be judged, and the measure you use will be the measure you receive." Isn't it possible that you try to make the Kingdom over in your own image and failing that, you simply ignore and go on to a different gospel? What separates you from "the many"?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,107.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What separates you from "the many"?
The same thing Jesus said sets us apart from the many, a change in attitude from worldly to Kingdom. Two opposing natures. Look around. Which one is predominant even within Christianity where the world takes lead and the Kingdom remains the narrow path least taken?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The same thing Jesus said sets us apart from the many, a change in attitude from worldly to Kingdom. Two opposing natures. Look around. Which one is predominant even within Christianity where the world takes lead and the Kingdom remains the narrow path least taken?

Which one is prominent within Christianity? The new nature, given to us by Christ and guided by the Holy Spirit. Why are you judging the Body of Christ?

1 Corinthians 12:20-22, " So now there are many members, but one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, “I do not need you,” nor in turn can the head say to the foot, “I do not need you.” On the contrary, those members that seem to be weaker are essential"

I would be very careful if I were you. Are you prepared to stand before Jesus and say, "I have judged your body and condemned most of them"?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,515.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is not difficult to understand. Especially if one reads a translation in their native language. Since everyone on this forum whose posts I have read communicates in modern English, then a modern English translation such as the NIV, NET, NRSV, ESV is the best.

The main problem is not understanding what is written but in understanding what it meant to the hearers of that time. (Most people were illiterate.) We do not live in the cultures described in the Bible. We are not Pharaoh's slaves, we are not wandering in the desert, we are not a pastoral society, raising sheep and goats or growing subsistence crops, we are not taking ancient watercraft into the Mediterranean, etc. Subsequently, some of Jesus' parables are difficult to relate to, such as sowing our seed in rocky places or hunting for a lost sheep or... However, we must project our thoughts back to that time as best as we can. The Holy Spirit will reveal what He wants us to know.

Great post.

When I started training as a preacher I thought that exegesis sounded dull, and unnecessary. But I can honestly say that I have been enriched by it. Studying a verse, or passage, in its context and trying to understand how the hearers/congregation would have received, and understood, those words, has helped me to understand a lot - and is very interesting.

Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,107.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would be very careful if I were you. Are you prepared to stand before Jesus and say, "I have judged your body and condemned most of them"?
Why not reproach? He did, both in the Sanhedrin and as He would today in our churches, where few pay attention to His Gospel of the Kingdom. Those within Christianity are not infallible. I would be happy here and in front of Him to say I defended the Kingdom over the doctrines and theologies of man. A few short decades ago I would have been burnt for it.

Matthew 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To all:

God’s Word is not hard to understand if we ask for His help in understanding it and we are open to accepting what His Word says even when we may not like that truth at times. Many today prefer their own beliefs that come from a particular church and they try to cram them into the Bible where they don’t belong. They may even appear to hold to certain key important doctrines (like the Trinity, etc.), but they reject other teachings (like the condemnation of women teaching men - See: 1 Timothy 2:11-14). Also, sometimes we are not ready for the truth yet. We sometimes have preconceived ideas that come from the church or men and we must unlearn what they teach so as to truly see what God’s Word says. I know. God is still teaching me new things in His Word that contradict the standard status quo of men’s teachings today. So this is why we must study to show ourselves approved unto God (2 Timothy 2:15), which is a verse that is changed in Modern Bibles. For the devil does not want us to study God’s Word with the Lord’s help. The devil wants us to seek the interpretations of just the scholar or some church whereby the text is no longer believed. It says something else in the original languages and yet in their own language, their Bible is in error. So they are merely creating their own Word of God in how they want things to be. This is a liberal approach to God’s Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You claim that few in our churches pay attention to His Gospel of the Kingdom? Really? What is your evidence for this condemnation? Why are you compelled to pass judgement on other Christians (the body of Christ)?

I repeat: 1 Corinthians 12:20-22, " So now there are many members, but one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, “I do not need you,” nor in turn can the head say to the foot, “I do not need you.” On the contrary, those members that seem to be weaker are essential"

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,107.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You claim that few in our churches pay attention to His Gospel of the Kingdom? Really? What is your evidence for this condemnation?
They live their lives putting the will of man ahead of the will of God. Even the religion rejected the Kingdom in order to align itself with the world of man and it's governance. Not a very good example for those claiming to represent the governance of God when they join forces with the enemy. As for Paul, there are three mentions of him in scripture of him continually teaching the Gospel of the Kingdom, not the one attributed to him. Where is the unity?

Luke 16:15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

Why do you fear people getting back on track and rejecting the governance of man? Let it do it's thing. We are supposed to be of a different way. As a matter of fact those of the Way were called 'haters of man' for a reason. I know most in the DSA would fear being called unpatriotic and miss their battles in political threads, but what of the rest out there?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They live their lives putting the will of man ahead of the will of God. Even the religion rejected the Kingdom in order to align itself with the world of man and it's governance. Not a very good example for those claiming to represent the governance of God when they join forces with the enemy. As for Paul, there are three mentions of him in scripture of him continually teaching the Gospel of the Kingdom, not the one attributed to him. Where is the unity?

Luke 16:15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

Why do you fear people getting back on track and rejecting the governance of man?

What is your evidence for saying "they live their lives putting the will of man ahead of the will of God"? You must be living on a different planet, as by far the greatest majority of Christians -- the body of Christ -- that I know are good, kind, warm folks. They put the will of God ahead of the will of man. They love their families, work hard, love their friends, and love the Lord.

In short, I think that Christians -- the body of Christ -- are, as a whole, the best people I have ever known.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,107.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
They put the will of God ahead of the will of man. They love their families, work hard, love their friends, and love the Lord.
Yet Jesus will call a portion of them Lord Lords

In short, I think that Christians -- the body of Christ -- are, as a whole, the best people I have ever known.
Certainly, until they become worldly or political in nature, returning to the self interest that got us booted from the garden. Self is not the way of the Kingdom. An example... If Christians who claim to be a majority in the Divided States of América were not so divisive over human matters rather than between the world of man and the Kingdom, the movement would be reduced to small in numbers, you might appear united again, and we would be hearing about the conflict between the world and the Kingdom on the news instead of the tripe we hear now.

----
I might add that there are those who like to have their ears tickled and they will resent hearing of the Gospel of the Kingdom and it's contrary message of world bad-Kingdom good, self bad-others good, leaves them feeling convicted in their worldly ways , tryng to serve two masters. Better to risk the wrath of their resentment than not give them an opportunity to see that the blind have led the blind back into the world, thus giving them a chance to repent before it is too late.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,107.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Possibly but that is the choir patting the back of the choir. God says to love all.

People find it hard to understand the Bible, be it wording or content, simply because of the hypocrisy of man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yet Jesus will call a portion of them Lord Lords

Certainly, until they become worldly or political in nature, returning to the self interest that got us booted from the garden. Self is not the way of the Kingdom. An example... If Christians who claim to be a majority in the Divided States of América were not so divisive over human matters rather than between the world of man and the Kingdom, the movement would be reduced to small in numbers, you might appear united again, and we would be hearing about the conflict between the world and the Kingdom on the news instead of the tripe we hear now.

----
I might add that there are those who like to have their ears tickled and they will resent hearing of the Gospel of the Kingdom and it's contrary message of world bad-Kingdom good, self bad-others good, leaves them feeling convicted in their worldly ways , tryng to serve two masters. Better to risk the wrath of their resentment than not give them an opportunity to see that the blind have led the blind back into the world, thus giving them a chance to repent before it is too late.

I feel badly that your view of life in general and other Christians in particular is so negative. Where is the joy of the Lord in your life? Why can't you rest in Him? Where is the peace that passes all understanding?

Philippians 4:7, "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." That applies to you, to me, and to the entire body of Christ. And yes, it applies to you!

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,448.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You would think God wanted to make the Bible a very easy book to understand so no Christian reader can misinterpret anything. It is His Word. He knows our limitations. What is the purpose of making people need help figuring out what everything means and allowing interpretations to be wrong?

This problem is why we have totally different opinions on things like evolution, infant baptisms, alcohol, and Communion. It is why we do not all agree on when Jesus was conceived and born, crucified, and risen. All this is even among Bible scholars with college degrees in theology.
God didn't intend that scripture would be easy to understand. The only way to understand what God intended was to rely on God's Holy Spirit but people are prideful and think that they can understand it through using their intellect. That is why understanding is confused.

Many years ago the Holy Spirit spoke to me and said, " The Tree of Life is Jesus, the Tree of Knowledge is the Law, and the Tower of Babylon represents all those who try to attain heaven through their own means, including many Christians".

In Genesis, God confused the languages of the people. This could be used to show the many interpretations of scripture and how the are so many different Christian Churches. The differences started shortly after Jesus's death and got worse over the years.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,107.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Where is the joy of the Lord in your life? Why can't you rest in Him? Where is the peace that passes all understanding?
It is in Him, not in those who expect a free pass and prefer ears tickled to rapprochement

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
God didn't intend that scripture would be easy to understand. The only way to understand what God intended was to rely on God's Holy Spirit but people are prideful and think that they can understand it through using their intellect. That is why understanding is confused.

Many years ago the Holy Spirit spoke to me and said, " The Tree of Life is Jesus, the Tree of Knowledge is the Law, and the Tower of Babylon represents all those who try to attain heaven through their own means, including many Christians".

In Genesis, God confused the languages of the people. This could be used to show the many interpretations of scripture and how the are so many different Christian Churches. The differences started shortly after Jesus's death and got worse over the years.

I agree with all of this except the last sentence. There has always been confusion about the Bible.

Upvote 0