Why is the Bible so confusing / hard to read?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I am not sure why you think so. When I read the New Testament in Greek, I got much more possibilities than when reading a translation. Count also specific Greek terms like "logos" and hellenistic context of those words and of stories and the situation starts to be quite overhelming.
Trying to translate it word for word, or sentence by sentence, like parsing ? , doesn't work.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you suggest focusing more on the New Testament for actual "rules of Christian living" then versus the Old Testament?

Yes, I believe that believers today are to focus primarily on the New Covenant (or New Testament) in how to live for the Lord.

Back in Genesis: God's moral laws came into existence for man and would forever exist for him after the Fall of Adam and Eve (after they received the knowledge of good and evil). A Moral Law is any law telling you to do good without a specific law telling you that such a thing is so (See Romans 2:14). These moral laws existed before the Law of Moses.

In the New Covenant (or New Testament) these Moral Laws (like: “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” Do not covet,” “Do not commit adultery,” etc.) are repeated from the 613 laws within the Law of Moses and they still in effect (i.e. They have been carried over into the New Testament). However, the Old Testament Law of Moses as a whole or package deal is no more (contractually speaking). Ceremonial commands: Things like the commands on circumcision, animal sacrifices, the Saturday Sabbath, etc. are no longer binding under the New Covenant.

#1. Before the cross: Jesus primarily taught New Testament teachings and not Old Testament teachings (See my next post to you).
#2. The Bible teaches that the New Covenant officially began with Christ's death upon the cross, as well (Matthew 27:51) (Luke 22:20) (Hebrews 9:15-17).
#3. The Bible teaches that the written Law given to Israel is no longer in effect (as a whole or contract). How so?​

Here are a list of verses (showing us the Old Law is no more):

"When God speaks of a "new" covenant, it means he has made the first one obsolete. It is now out of date and will soon disappear." (Hebrews 8:13) (NLT).

”Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.” (Romans 7:4).

"But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter." (Romans 7:6).

"Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;" (Colossians 2:14).

20 "Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22 Which all are to perish with the using; ) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh."
(Colossians 2:20-23).

“By abolishing in His [own crucified] flesh the enmity [caused by] the Law with its decrees and ordinances [which He annulled]; that He from the two might create in Himself one new man [one new quality of humanity out of the two], so making peace.” (Ephesians 2:15) (AMPC).

"The old [former] rule [commandment; regulation] is now set aside [nullified; abolished], because it was weak and useless [ineffective]." (Hebrews 7:18) (EXB).

9 “Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience;
10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.” (Hebrews 9:9-10).

16 “For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.” (Hebrews 9:16-17).

”And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament…” (Hebrews 9:15).

27 “And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.” (Matthew 26:27-28).

50 “Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; “ (Matthew 27:20-51).

8 “Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.” (Hebrews 10:8-9).

“And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.” (Acts of the Apostles 15:1).

“But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.” (Acts of the Apostles 15:5).

“Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment” (Acts of the Apostles 15:24).

28 "For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well." (Acts of the Apostles 15:28-29).

7 "But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious." (2 Corinthians 3:7-11).

“But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.” (2 Corinthians 3:14).

Upvote 0

IntriKate

Nov 23, 2019
✟105,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
  1. Have you been Born Again?
    Jesus said,
    Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot [even] see the kingdom of God.” John 3:3
  2. If you have been, pray before you read your Bible. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you take it in. It may not become clearer right away, but it will over time.
The answer has been given a couple time's to ask the Holy Spirit for guidance and as typical on this forum a load of diversion opinions follow. The biggest mistake I personally made when I was seeking truth was to rely on a forum instead of asking God to explain it to me. Only confusion and doubt comes from man's views.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Alison Smith

Introduction:

I believe that we are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ (and believing in His death and resurrection on our behalf for salvation, and seeking forgiveness with Him) and it is not by "Works Alone Salvationism" that does not include God's grace and mercy (Ephesians 2:8-9) (Titus 3:5). For if we stumble into sin, do we get clean by doing a good work? No. We get clean and forgiven (saved) again by God's grace. For if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9, cf. 1 John 2:1). But after we are saved by God's grace, I believe that we need to bring forth "works of faith" (obedience to Christ's commands) as a part of the Sanctification process (i.e. the working of the Holy Spirit in our lives to make us holy) in the next step or stage in the salvation process. 2 Thessalonians 2:13 says, "...God has from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth." James 2:24 says we are justified by works and not by faith alone. Paul says, “For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Romans 8:13). Paul also says we can deny God by a lack of works in our life (Titus 1:16).

As for the Law:

Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed. So you have to look at the 613 Laws of Moses as being one contract given to Israel, and the laws (or commands) given to us by Jesus and His followers (in the New Covenant) is another contract. For Romans 7:6 says, "we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter."

Think of it like when a person may buy a house. They are offered a contract for buying that house. But if that person does not like the contract in certain places, they may request to have the contract changed. If the seller and real estate agent agree to the changes, they will draw up a new contract (with the new changes) so as sell the house to him. For this guy who is buying the house, his idea of the purchase (according to the new contract) is more fulfilled and complete to his liking. So what do they do with the old contract? They discard it. Entirely? No. The new contract may have repeated many things in the old contract, but the new contract has changes in it that fulfill a better purpose or desire for the buyer.

We know that the New Covenant (New Contract) began officially with Christ's death (See Hebrews 9:16-17, Luke 22:20, Matthew 27:51). With the exception of a few instances like Christ endorsing animal sacrifices in Matthew 5:24, Jesus primarily was taught New Covenant teachings before the cross and not OT teachings. Jesus was preparing others for the way of the upcoming New Covenant or New Testament that would go into effect when he died upon the cross.

When Jesus says I come not to destroy the Law, he is referring to God’s Laws in general. Jesus did not come to destroy ALL forms of Law. Jesus said He came to fulfill the Law. This means Jesus came to fulfill the Law into it's true intended purpose with the giving of the commands from Himself and His followers. For the Law came by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ (John 1:17). Jesus brought us commands in the New Covenant that were FAR superior to the Old Covenant Laws (contractually speaking - like contracts in buying a house).

How so?

Jesus clearly was making changes to the Law (even before the cross):
(Which means He was not teaching primarily Old Covenant, but New Covenant):

The Old Way says:
"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth"
(Matthew 5:38 cf. Exodus 21:23-25).

The New Way (by Jesus) says:
"But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." (Matthew 5:39).

The Old Way says:
"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment" (Matthew 5:21 cf. Numbers 35:30-32).

"But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." (Matthew 5:22).

The Old Way says:
"Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:" (Matthew 5:34 cf. Numbers 30:1-2, Deuteronomy 23:21).

34 "But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil." (Matthew 5:34-37).

The Old Way says:
"And of thy mercy cut off mine enemies, and destroy all them that afflict my soul: for I am thy servant." (Psalms 143:12).

"And the city shall be accursed, even it, and all that are therein, to the LORD: only Rahab the harlot shall live, she and all that are with her in the house, because she hid the messengers that we sent." (Joshua 6:17).

"And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword." (Joshua 6:21).

16 "But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:
17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee" (Deuteronomy 20:16-17).

"They did not destroy the nations, concerning whom the LORD commanded them" (Psalms 106:34).

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" (Matthew 5:44).

Note: Yes, I am aware that the Old Way (Old Testament) also teaches to love one's enemies (Exodus 23:4-5) (Proverbs 25:21), but this was in context to their own Israelite people, and not pagan nations. Pagan nations were to be destroyed when God commanded the Israelites to destroy them. But Jesus taught a radically different way. Love your enemies, and do good to them that hate you, and to pray for those who persecute you.

The Old Way says:
20 "But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:
21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the harlot in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.
22 If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, both the man that lay with the woman, and the woman: so shalt thou put away evil from Israel." (Deuteronomy 22:20-22).

4 "They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?" (John 8:4-5).

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. " (John 8:7).

Even after the cross, there were changes being made:

The Old Covenant says this about circumcision:
"And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant." (Genesis 17:14).

Yet, the New Covenant says this about circumcision:
"Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing."
(Galatians 5:2).

The Old Covenant says this about the Sabbath:
32 "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.
33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.
34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.
35 And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses." (Numbers 15:32-36).

Yet, the New Covenant says this about the Sabbath:
"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:" (Colossians 2:16).

So it appears things have changed.

This makes sense because again, Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

"For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law."
(Hebrews 7:12).

“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”
(John 1:17).

Jesus said,
"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil." (Matthew 5:17).

Jesus came not to abolish the Law (in the sense of destroying all forms of Law), but Jesus came to fulfill the Law (i.e. to nail to the cross those ordinances that were against us [like the Old Covenant ceremonial laws], and Jesus came to give us a more fulfilled and perfect way of obeying God via the commands that come directly from Him and His followers). For Jesus offered a more perfect way of loving God, and loving our neighbor (Which of course is only possible via if we are first saved by God's grace through faith).

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am not sure why you think so. When I read the New Testament in Greek, I got much more possibilities than when reading a translation. Count also specific Greek terms like "logos" and hellenistic context of those words and of stories and the situation starts to be quite overhelming.

We just went through that concerning the term "hereafter". I'm the only one who looked it up in the Greek, and thus clarified the meaning of the passage.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I 100% know that there is a God-given reason for the above that we don't understand, but I was wondering if anyone had any insights into the above. Why does the Bible favor dense, complex and poetic language in favor of easier language that would be able to reach more people (including the uneducated)? Furthermore, hermeneutically why are some passage so hard to interpret / seem to have like 5 different interpretations? Is anyone else ever really worried they're not interpreting something correctly (even if I read like 15 different interpretations of certain passages those are ultimately human interpretations and hence I can never be sure)? Thanks!
I never considered the Bible heavily poetic and hard to understand. Frankly it is pretty straight forward if we let the Scriptures speak for themselves.

How many times have you read the Bible cover to cover?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How were those people sure they interpreted everything correctly though? No matter how carefully one reads it, there are bound to be passages everyone misreads - in that case, are they just screwed?
Perhaps a few examples would help.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What’s important about the Hebrew and Greek is how the author of that particular book or epistle used the words. Not what possibilities we can mine out of it.

Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I 100% know that there is a God-given reason for the above that we don't understand, but I was wondering if anyone had any insights into the above. Why does the Bible favor dense, complex and poetic language in favor of easier language that would be able to reach more people (including the uneducated)? Furthermore, hermeneutically why are some passage so hard to interpret / seem to have like 5 different interpretations? Is anyone else ever really worried they're not interpreting something correctly (even if I read like 15 different interpretations of certain passages those are ultimately human interpretations and hence I can never be sure)? Thanks!

The "Bible" had many, many authors over a period of 500 years .. and many edits, redactions and rewrites.. and IMO it doesn't help when Christians (I are one) hijack verses from the Torah to "prove" Jesus like from Hosea, Isaiah and Daniel.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If so, what purpose should the Old Testament serve in our biblical study?

While Paul did say that the Law [i.e. the Old Law] is good if one uses it lawfully (1 Timothy 1:8), Jesus said the following in regards to the Scriptures (i.e. the Tanakh or the Old Testament),

"Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life:
and they are they which testify of me."
(John 5:39).​

In other words, everything in the Old Testament (including the Law) relates to Jesus Christ in some way.

16 "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17 These are a shadow of the things to come, but the body [that casts the shadow] belongs to Christ." (Colossians 2:16 KJV) (Colossians 2:17 GW).​

So picture in your mind that the sabbaths, new moon festivals, and the dietary laws are like the image of a shadow, and the body that casts that shadow is the physical body of Jesus Christ. For example: Jesus is our Sabbath rest.

For Jesus said,

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden,
and I will give you rest."

(Matthew 11:28).
So in this way, the Sabbath is a type or shadow that testifies of Jesus Christ.
There are some good websites or Christian articles that are dedicated to finding these types of Jesus Christ in the Old Testament. Jesus is everywhere in the Old Testament in the form of types or symbols, etc. They are there to show the importance of who Jesus is and what He has done for us. Jesus is God (second person of the Trinity or Godhead) who entered into the flesh of a man. Jesus was died for our sins, and He was buried, and He was risen three days later on our behalf for our salvation. Jesus loved us so much that He was willing to suffer and die for us in paying the penalty for our sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

The Bible was written in such a way as to be able to be read by the New Believer and receive Truth from God for him at that point in his walk.

Years later as the Believer grows in his Faith, he comes across the same passage which might have meant so much to him as a New Believer but this time he understands much more about what is actually written.

Years pass and the Older by now Believer reads that same Passage again this time he sees a much deeper understanding that he ever imagined before.

This all takes place because, by the leading of the Holy Spirit, he brings the Believer down the path of truth, Knowledge and Understanding, circling back at times to bring new knowledge to the Believer, leading him on to ful maturity.

So then by the time the Believer is ready to go be with the Lord, he has learned the many fold dimensions of God.

God through His Holy Spirit, speaks to us in the place we are able to hear from him, he knows what we need in order for us to be able to move forward at any given time in our walk, we just need to be open to his leading in those circumstances, and willing to understand and change if necessary going against one's self beliefs, in order to stay in direct communication with Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I think it's hard to understand because there are a lot myths about what its goal is. I think we should start by assuming it matches God's purpose for it, and see what that is. The bible is full of stories. Some historical some not. It's got poetry, prayers, all kinds of things. What it doesn't have is theology, in the sense Christians normally use it. It has some sections that you can turn into theology if you want to, but there's no definition of what the Trinity is. It's also not an instruction manual for life.

It is, however, an account of God's dealings with humanity, the teachings of Jesus, and letters from his earliest followers advising their community on how to live as Christians. It can inspire us and guide us in following Jesus. It doesn't tell us whether to baptize infants; it doesn't define the two-nature doctrine of the incarnation, and it doesn't (despite many vocal claims to the contrary) tell us at what point a developing human life should be given full human rights. It can help us decide these questions, but the moment people expect to read off answers directly, they find that the Bible is confusing.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
how can we be 100% sure we've been born again? I think I have but am always unsure. Does being unsure imply you haven't? One reason I'm always unsure is because of Matthew 7:21 ('Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord," will enter the kingdom of heaven, etc.') so even if one thinks they are they might not. How do you actually tell?

I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and sought forgiveness with him over my sins in private by a tract called "This Was Your Life."

full

Chick.com: This Was Your Life

Here is a similar version of this tract for women:

full

Chick.com: You Have a Date!

When I accepted Christ as my Savior back in 1992, it was like a light went on inside of me, and I had a love, joy, peace that I had never known before. I knew I was changed and a new person. For me, there was no doubt.

I believe this experience is being "Born again spiritually."

Jesus said we must be born again spiritually (John 3:5).

There is another aspect of being born again that I think people fail to accept as a part of the new birth. I believe one also has to be "born again by water," too (John 3:5). I believe that this is accepting that the Holy Bible alone is God's words for us today and that they are perfect, divine, and without error. For the "water" is related to the communicated Word of God (Ephesians 5:25-27). For our day: I believe this to be the King James Bible. Granted, I believe a person can be born again by water without holding to the KJV as the perfect Word, but they must hold to the view that at least the original language Scriptures are perfect and without error. They must believe by revelation that His Word (the Holy Bible) is indeed without question His holy Word and no other words or books, or revelations are needed. "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever." (1 Peter 1:23). For faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God (Romans 10:17).

So when we call upon God to ask how to understand His Word, we are His child and He will help us to understand it if we continue to be pure in heart in seeking to follow the Lord Jesus Christ and His good ways (with all sincerity in total surrender).

But how do we really know or have the assurance that we know the Lord Jesus Christ?

1 John 2:3 provides the answer.

"And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments."
(1 John 2:3).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why is the Bible so confusing / hard to read?

I believe God made His Word difficult for some to read His Word because it is a spiritual book. Those who are not spiritual are not going to understand His Word. Even those who claim to know His Word (the Bible) may even speak against His Word and or not believe certain verses in their own Bible. This is becoming more and more common today. Men do not truly understand His Word because of their own sin blinds them from being able to properly understand it. Only when we are born again properly and we seek to follow the Lord Jesus Christ in full surrender (not justifying sin like many in the church today do) can we truly know what His Word says. We have to accept all of what the Bible says plainly even if we may not understand what certain parts say. We ask God for the understanding, but we must first make sure our heart is right with God and our life is aligned with God's will in following His Word. For if we obey the Lord, He will give us His understanding on what His Word says. In the beginning, I can imagine it can be hard to understand His Word. I did not deeply study His Word until after I rededicated my life to Christ in 2010. When I began to study His Word with a passion in wanting to be a Pastor (back at that time), I asked God for help so I could help others. By this, God helped me to see what His Word truly said. I discovered that in my study of His Word, many were not doing what His Word actually said. Even today, it is getting worse. Christians today throw out verses like Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:31-46, etc.; They prefer to follow the teachings that come from religious men in history instead of our Lord.

But Paul says,

3 "If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
4 He is proud, knowing nothing," (1 Timothy 6:3-4).

So if anyone does not teach in agreement with the words of Jesus and or the teaching that is according to godliness (or holy living), they are proud, and they know nothing.

Scary stuff here.

But it is the truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

But why does God make His Word difficult to read?

God is protecting His precious knowledge from those who would possibly misuse it or do wrong by it in some way. I believe God hides knowledge from those who are lazy and or who are not willing to truly seek Him, as well.

We need to study to show ourselves approved of unto God.

"Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15).
Many just think we are automatically approved unto God because they did a one time prayer. But we need to study, and be a workman and work hard.

Also, we need to have the anointing (i.e. the Spirit) so as to be taught His Word properly, too.

"But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him." (1 John 2:27).
In other words, God wants us to rely ultimately on Him to know what His Word says, and not our own paths or ways. For the heart is deceitful and desperately wicked. So trust in the Lord. Trust His Word, even when you may not always understand it. Not all good things in life comes easy.

Note: Those who think you need a Lexicon or scholars or religious commentators to simply to understand His Word are mistaken. You need to compare Scripture with Scripture and study it for yourself and ask God. Sure, some articles online by other Christians can be helpful sometimes, but we should not rely heavily on what men say like a Lexicon (the original language dictionary), or famous Theologians of time past. We need to look primarily to God and to study His Word on our own, and be pure of heart, and not justify sin.

Upvote 0

Marumorose

Nov 30, 2019
Polokwane
✟37,738.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God wants to separate the sheep from the goats
The true children of God will study the bible and gain more wisdom from it. And the lukewarm christians and non-believers will treat the bilble like a dictionary or a history book.
Matthew 13:10-11 says "The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?” He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

It doesn't. The King James Version is hard to understand because it is written in archaic language. Nobody speaks that way today. For that reason -- there are others -- most people in the 21st Century should be reading modern translations; I personally like the NET Bible the most, but I also read the NIV and the RSV. God's message is meant to be understood! The people mentioned in the Bible understood what was said in their time in the common language of the day; we should be no different.

• Optimistic
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
God wants to separate the sheep from the goats
The true children of God will study the bible and gain more wisdom from it. And the lukewarm christians and non-believers will treat the bilble like a dictionary or a history book.
Matthew 13:10-11 says "The disciples came to him and asked, “Why do you speak to the people in parables?” He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them.

This is confusing. You're separating lukewarm Christians (capitalized) from the "true children of God" (whoever they may be). How do you define these groups?

I don't know anyone who reads the Bible "like a dictionary or a history book". Everyone reads the Bible (translations) that they can understand.

Regarding Matthew 13:10-11, the secrets of the kingdom of heaven are available to anyone who wants to understand their meaning, not just the disciples of 20 centuries ago.

• Optimistic
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The King James Version of the New Testament was based upon a Greek text (the Textus Receptus) that was marred by mistakes, containing the accumulated errors of fourteen centuries of manuscript copying. It was essentially the Greek text of the New Testament as edited by Beza, 1589, who closely followed that published by Erasmus, 1516-1535, which was based upon a few medieval manuscripts. The earliest and best of the eight manuscripts which Erasmus consulted was from the tenth century, and yet he made the least use of it because it differed most from the commonly received text; Beza had access to two manuscripts of great value, dating from the fifth and sixth centuries, but he made very little use of them because they differed from the text published by Erasmus. We now possess many more ancient manuscripts (about 10,000 compared to just 10) of the New Testament, and thanks to another 400 years of biblical scholarship, are far better equipped to seek to recover the original wording of the Greek text. Much as we might love the KJV and the majesty of it’s Jacobean English, modern translations are more accurate.

Upvote 0