Why is the Bible so confusing / hard to read?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do not think that "to interpret everything correctly" was their goal or mindset.

Parts of the bible are interpreted by translation, and, translated by interpretation.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Parts of the bible are interpreted by translation, and, translated by interpretation.
Also, almost anything in the Bible is said in such a manner that it can be interpreted in numerous ways. The "scientific" clarity was not obviously the goal of the authors.

Their goal was rather to stimulate our thinking, our own inquiry and internal seeking of God.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Also, almost anything in the Bible is said in such a manner that it can be interpreted in numerous ways. The "scientific" clarity was not obviously the goal of the authors.

Their goal was rather to stimulate our thinking, own inquiry and internal seeking of God.
Did Simon barjona 'interpret' something, or does the Father in heaven REVEAL WHO THE MESSIAH IS ?

See the difference between what is forbidden, vs what God accomplishes and how He does ?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,095,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Is anyone else ever really worried they're not interpreting something correctly (even if I read like 15 different interpretations of certain passages those are ultimately human interpretations and hence I can never be sure)? Thanks!

I use the CLV. It's a literal version. I wouldn't rely on the interpretations of others. Rely on the Ruach Ha'Kodesh to lead you. The CLV isn't perfect. I've seen bias; but it's much more straightforward than most other translations.

CLV - Concordant Literal Version

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Their goal was rather to stimulate our thinking, our own inquiry and internal seeking of God.

OTOH within the original language are often very precise meanings of words that nail down the exact meaning of the narrative. Such word studies are very important.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
OTOH within the original language are often very precise meanings of words that nail down the exact meaning of the narrative. Such word studies are very important.
I do not think that Greek can help with that. Actually, I think that the opposite is true. Original text has much more ambiguity than translated text, because translator must many times select just one possible meaning to be able to translate something. The more original we get, the more ambiguity and possibilities we find.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I do not think that Greek can help with that. Actually, I think that the opposite is true. Original text has much more ambiguity than translated text, because translator must many times select just one possible meaning to be able to translate something.
'Correct' (with qualification). Scholarship , in the world, of the world, helps not.

Revelation , Understanding, Wisdom , in Christ Jesus, is all in all.

When Yahweh Reveals the Truth, He Reveals the Truth. The Truth is the Same worldwide. Not different for different people. Never opposed nor contradictory.

Always in complete harmony and peace , completely....

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
'Correct' (with qualification). Scholarship , in the world, of the world, helps not.

Revelation , Understanding, Wisdom , in Christ Jesus, is all in all.

When Yahweh Reveals the Truth, He Reveals the Truth. The Truth is the Same worldwide. Not different for different people. Never opposed nor contradictory.

Always in complete harmony and peace , completely....
We are talking about real existing Bible we have, not about some abstract "Yahveh revelations of truth". And the Bible we have is not easy to understand and offers numerous interpretations of numerous texts.

• Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
We are talking about real existing Bible we have, not about some abstract "Yahveh revelations of truth". And the Bible we have is not easy to understand and offers numerous interpretations of numerous texts.
The real true existing Bible says repeatedly, Yahweh or Yahshua OPENED their minds, or BREATHED ON THEM, granting the disciples understanding.
The real true existing Bible says that unless the Father grants it, no man can receive anything.
The real true existing Bible says that every good gift is from the Father in heaven.

The real true existing Bible says "the flesh profits nothing, and everything born of the flesh is flesh" ....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The real true existing Bible says repeatedly, Yahweh or Yahshua OPENED their minds, or BREATHED ON THEM, granting the disciples understanding.
The real true existing Bible says that unless the Father grants it, no man can receive anything.
The real true existing Bible says that every good gift is from the Father in heaven.

The real true existing Bible says "the flesh profits nothing, and everything born of the flesh is flesh" ....
And the same disciples had arguments and differences between them even from the beginning and even about such basics as salvation, as you can read in the book of Acts, for example.

Understanding is always growing, its a path, not a complete thing you simply get at once.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
And the same disciples had arguments and differences between them even from the beginning and even about such basics as salvation, as you can read in the book of Acts, for example.

Understanding is always growing, its a path, not a complete thing you simply get at once.
Good.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I 100% know that there is a God-given reason for the above that we don't understand, but I was wondering if anyone had any insights into the above. Why does the Bible favor dense, complex and poetic language in favor of easier language that would be able to reach more people (including the uneducated)? Furthermore, hermeneutically why are some passage so hard to interpret / seem to have like 5 different interpretations? Is anyone else ever really worried they're not interpreting something correctly (even if I read like 15 different interpretations of certain passages those are ultimately human interpretations and hence I can never be sure)? Thanks!
Hi; try for example reading a clear, simple passage such as John chapter 1, or John chapter 3 or John's First Epistle, in a trusting way. So much of the language and terminology is clear and simple.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings is to search things out. - Pro 25:2 ESV​

It all comes down to the receptivity of the heart. If you approach the Bible prayerfully, with the goal of knowing God more intimately, it will open its secrets to you, because that is the will of God.

I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me. - Jhn 17:23​

Too many only want to find facts about God, rather than meeting God himself in His pages. They might want to support doctrine, or the timing of last things, and are looking for proof texts. We have the fruit to show for it, in a church too often consuming itself with bickering.

Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom. But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant and [so] lie against the truth. This wisdom is not that which comes down from above, but is earthly, natural, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing.
But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. - Jas 3​

God will allow us to get drawn out. As we seek Him all manner of hidden issues can surface. That's where perseverance and patience come in (Lk 18.1-ff). But we are promised He will reward those who truly seek Him (Heb 11.6).

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do not think that Greek can help with that. Actually, I think that the opposite is true. Original text has much more ambiguity than translated text, because translator must many times select just one possible meaning to be able to translate something. The more original we get, the more ambiguity and possibilities we find.

Actually the opposite is usually true. The narrative will contain words that have several meanings, which can only be determined by researching that word in it's original language.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I 100% know that there is a God-given reason for the above that we don't understand, but I was wondering if anyone had any insights into the above. Why does the Bible favor dense, complex and poetic language in favor of easier language that would be able to reach more people (including the uneducated)? Furthermore, hermeneutically why are some passage so hard to interpret / seem to have like 5 different interpretations? Is anyone else ever really worried they're not interpreting something correctly (even if I read like 15 different interpretations of certain passages those are ultimately human interpretations and hence I can never be sure)? Thanks!
Christians should listen to Christ's words to us by reading a gospel with just a listening attitude, to get the (new each time) things they need to hear right now.

For where each are at individually, right now.

Each meaning for each individual depending on their own needed learning, today.

For these, instead of analysis or commentaries, listening is the only priority. To hear.

If one reads this way, suddenly it's far easier to understand.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Actually the opposite is usually true. The narrative will contain words that have several meanings, which can only be determined by researching that word in it's original language.
I am not sure why you think so. When I read the New Testament in Greek, I got much more possibilities than when reading a translation. Count also specific Greek terms like "logos" and hellenistic context of those words and of stories and the situation starts to be quite overhelming.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Because it was written in a very different culture. Culture without internet, where people had plenty of time for thinking and where writing and reading was something special. They loved stories, repetitions, symbolism, life wisdom proverbs, mythology etc.

For us, who are used to google to get a quick and short information and do not have time to read stuff around it, its a difficult reading.

I agree with solid_core in post #2. It was indeed a very different culture than ours. The Bible was written 2000 to 3000 years ago by sixty or more authors using two unfamiliar languages in a society that was intensely patriarchal and with a whole different cosmology. Their customs and traditions would be quite strange to us. If we don't educate ourselves in this context we can get entirely the wrong idea of many passages. It is a difficult and confusing read for a certainty.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Hello Alison, it is because we can only understand God's Word as we seek JESUS to understand his word and prayerfully ask him to be our guide and teacher. He promises to be our guide and teacher. We cannot understand God's Word if we do not seek JESUS to be our guide and teacher. *1 CORINTHIANS 2:14; ISAIAH 55:6-9; God's promises; JEREMIAH 29:13; JOHN 14:26; JOHN 16:13; JOHN 7:17; JOHN 8:31-36; MATTHEW 6:33; 1 JOHN 2:27; HEBREWS 8:11.

God bless

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟902,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, Maria

Then why do you suppose he gave the Church teachers Eph 4?

In Him,

Bill
Good question. Not all who say they are teachers are teaching with the Holy Spirit. We must always test what we hear from others even if they profess knowledge of the truth.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0