Why Is Someone Deserving Of Having Their Sin Washed Away Just Because Jesus Died On A Cross?

Victor Medvil

The Human Shadow
Mar 31, 2020
Indianapolis
✟19,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Since my previous post was censored, I have a different question why are people that believe in Jesus deserving of having their sins washed away if God hates Sin? It is interesting to me that Christians get it both ways their God hates Sin however just believe in Jesus and you are forgiven, how is that just explain it to me. Don't get me wrong, I do stuff that is classified as sin in the bible all the time however I don't pretend to think that I should be forgiven for any of it, If the bible holds the standards we should all be judged by.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why Is Someone Deserving Of Having Their Sin [Washed?] Away Just Because Jesus Died On A Cross?
We can only guess how it works, but we more-or-less accept it because He says so. I am certain that it is one of the things we will increase in understanding as we grow in the Lord.

Upvote 0

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,126.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sin (disobedience and rejection of God) is what separates us humans from God.

You can either say "I don't care about God and I don't want a relationship with Him" - then you don't feel the need to have your sins forgiven - or you are actually interested in getting to know the Creator of the universe and take His offer of becoming His child. Then you will realize that God is absolutely holy, and your impurity is like a chasm between you and Him. Jesus is the only one who can bridge that chasm.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Since my previous post was censored, I have a different question why are people that believe in Jesus deserving of having their sins washed away if God hates Sin? It is interesting to me that Christians get it both ways their God hates Sin however just believe in Jesus and you are forgiven, how is that just explain it to me. Don't get me wrong, I do stuff that is classified as sin in the bible all the time however I don't pretend to think that I should be forgiven for any of it, If the bible holds the standards we should all be judged by.

You do not understand----no one=---absolutely NO ONE---deserves to have their sins washed away. Everyone---EVERYONE--deserves death.

Eze 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

It is through the grace of God alone that when we see our sins that separate us from God and we ask forgiveness because we believe that Jesus is not only our Creator, but also our Savior, out of love for Him, we ask to be forgiven---and out of love for us, He does so. He already paid the price for our sins---we just have to accept His sacrifice for us and out of love for Him, we keep His commandments. Not in order to be saved, but because we are saved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nathan@work

Always ready :)
Feb 19, 2021
Garfield
✟27,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No one is deserving.

You are forgiven.

Do you want forgiveness?

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

No one is deserving. That's kind of the point actually. God's rescue mission of the world isn't because we have earned it. Even if we believe all the right things, it doesn't give us a leg up to anyone else.

Faith is saving, not because the act of faith is meritorious; but because God by His own grace, through His own means of grace, gives us faith; and through faith gives us everything that Christ has done for us.

Don't confuse this "saving faith" with "believing the right things". It's not about getting answers right on a theology exam, it's not about having the right set of religious propositions. There's no score card being kept that somehow gets points added to it if we are feeling the right things, doing the right things, thinking the right things, or even believing the right things.

Saving faith isn't theological propositions; it is trust. This is why even the smallest infant can have faith, we learn this lesson when He blessed the children, including the infants. To come and be like the small infant, for to such as these belongs the kingdom. How is the infant's disposition toward its mother? The child trusts her mother, implicitly so. Because in the mother's embrace the child is safe, here is home. Here is safety, rest, security.

To trust in Jesus is to be as a child is to their mother, the love that flows from mother to child, that brings all comfort, all safety, all security. That is salvation through faith. That here, in Jesus, is our redemption, our healing, our comfort, our safety, our home.

It's not God saving those who happen to pick the right religion because a religious argument convinced someone to convert.

It's God coming and meeting the world in Jesus, saving the world.

In Christ there is salvation of the whole world. That means everyone. Jesus saved everyone by His death and resurrection.

We receive that salvation as pure gift--grace--wrought to us by God; and faith is the working of God to bring us and Jesus together.

This is why in Lutheranism we say faith is regeneration (new birth). Faith neither precedes it; neither does faith proceed it. But they are one and the same thing.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Every ones sin is washed away, not just believers.

Jesus took away the sin of the world, not just believers.

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No one is deserving of salvation. It is a GIFT from God (Ephesians 2:8-9, Ezekiel 33:11, John 3:16, 2 Peter 3:8-9, Romans 6:23). Using our free will, we must decide whether to accept that gift of salvation or not. It begins with repentance, which is acknowledging and confessing our sins, and having the willingness to change for the better (2 Corinthians 5:16-19, John 6:26-29, Matthew 7:21-23). After accepting the Lord Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour, we all work on Christ-like character development for the rest of their lives (1 Corinthians 13:1-13, Exodus 20:1-17, Galatians 5:13-26, John 14:15-24, Romans 13:8-10).

Salvation is NOT a license to sin nor was it ever intended to be (James 2:14-26, John 14:15-24, Romans 6:1-14). To use it as such is complete HYPOCRISY (Luke 12:1-7, Matthew 7:1-6, 23:1-36) and proves to be nothing but SELFISH AMBITION (Acts 8:9-25, Galatians 5:19-21, Matthew 7:13-29, Philippians 2:3-4).

Scapegoats were Biblically used to put Israel's sins on and sent out into the wilderness as atonement.[1][2][3] Of course, given our fallen human nature, this was only temporary (Leviticus 5:1-13, Matthew 5:21-30, Romans 3:9-26). The Lord Jesus Christ served as the ultimate scapegoat to permanently atone for all our past, present, and future sins by dying on the cross for us (John 3:16, Philippians 2:1-11, 1 Peter 2:18-25). The Lord Jesus Christ is the only sinless man in history, and we MURDERED Him (John 19:1-37, Luke 23:1-49, Mark 15:1-41, Matthew 27:15-56). He was betrayed for thirty pieces of silver (Luke 22:1-6, Mark 14:10-11, Matthew 26:14-16) in stark contrast to Sampson, who was betrayed for 1,100 pieces of silver (Judges 16:1-5). Sampson was clearly a very dangerous man in a physical fight (Judges 14:5-6, 15:1-20, 16:1-3), and was thus wanted dead or alive (Judges 16:1-31). The Lord Jesus Christ simply spoke the truth and was wanted DEAD (John 8:37-47, 14:1-6, 19:5-7, Mark 15:6-10, Matthew 27:15-18).

God is the Creator. He makes ALL the rules. He literally does not think like us (1 Corinthians 1:18-25, 3:18-23, Isaiah 55:8-9).
  1. scapegoat | Meaning, Significance, Bible, & Examples
  2. Scapegoat Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary
  3. What is the meaning of Azazel / the scapegoat? | GotQuestions.org

On May 1, 2021, at roughly 12:15 AM Eastern Time, I have added Scripture to these disclaimers, and am planning to continue doing so (John 13:1-17, Luke 16:1-15, Matthew 7:13-29). My apologies, I am still learning because I am a flawed human being who is predisposed towards selfishness.

On March 26, 2021, at roughly 10:05 AM Eastern Time, I have added additional Scripture citing Ephesians 2:8-9. My apologies, I am a flawed human being who is predisposed towards selfishness.

On March 25, 2021, at roughly 11:40 PM Eastern Time, I have added additional Scripture citing why Sampson was a dangerous man. My apologies, I am a flawed human being who is predisposed towards selfishness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Christians like everyone else have sinned. They don't deserve forgiveness and they can't earn salvation.

Romans 6:23 NIV
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

We earn death. God alone can bestow eternal life to whomever He chooses.

• Agree
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Every ones sin is washed away, not just believers.

Jesus took away the sin of the world, not just believers.

Do you actually believe that of Satan and his followers? Why did God talk about hell?

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Do you actually believe that of Satan and his followers? Why did God talk about hell?

Jesus did not die for angels.

Why does God talk about hell (this should be actually the lake of fire because), it is a reality that people who have not received God's free gift of Eternal Life go there. People (unbelievers) are not sent to the lake of fire because of their sins, The Messiah took away the sin of the world.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Are you sure you're a Protestant?

Universalism is the philosophical and theological concept that some ideas have universal application or applicability. A belief in one fundamental truth is another important tenet in universalism. ... Christian universalism refers to the idea that every human will be saved in a religious or spiritual sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Not all of Satan's followers are angels.

I never said anything about followers of satan.

But still a person ends up in the lake of fire for only one reason only. That reason is they never trusted in The Messiah for God's free gift of Eternal Life.

• Agree
Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
d taylor, why aren't you answering my questions?

You implied that only angels are Satan's followers. That's not true.

I haven't met any Christian who is a universalist, who believes all people will be saved, John chapter three, etc. Why do you call yourself a Protestant? Do you believe in the Holy Trinity?

Do you believe what Jesus said:

Matthew 25
31“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. 34Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers,f you did it to me.’

The world is composed of nations; there are sheep and goats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

TzephanYahu

Sep 9, 2018
Dorset
✟96,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi @Victor Medvil

It is interesting to me that Christians get it both ways their God hates Sin however just believe in Jesus and you are forgiven, how is that just explain it to me.

There's a lot of confusion in Christianity today. Some see Jesus as a "get out of jail free" card. They just believing in Him is a fast track to righteousness forever. But this is not what the Bible teaches.

The atoning death of the Messiah does indeed serve to wash away our sins and give us a "new slate" before Yahweh, the Creator. But Yahweh isn't just seeking to forgive us but to have us change our ways after that slate is wiped clean. Otherwise, what is the point? What is the purpose of it all.

I think the true gospel is best described quickly and succinctly in this short poem by the Poet of Ephraim. Please consider it:

The Gospel (Justice & Mercy)
There’s a Standard of Justice our Creator has made,
But we all fall short of it, to some degree every day.
These violations stack quickly and are never resolved,
Until Judgment Day comes and we’ll pay with our soul.
But there’s a Gift of Mercy our Creator has planned,
He’ll write-off your violations before you take the stand,
His Son will pay your judgment so that Justice is sated,
And so that you may return to the Standard He created.
~Poet of Ephraim

Peace

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
d taylor, why aren't you answering my questions?

You implied that only angels are Satan's followers. That's not true.

I haven't met any Christian who is a universalist, who believes all people will be saved, John chapter three, etc. Why do you call yourself a Protestant? Do you believe in the Holy Trinity?

Do you believe what Jesus said:

Matthew 25
31“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. 34Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers,f you did it to me.’

The world is composed of nations; there are sheep and goats.

You are all over the place with your comments. In my original post that you made a comment on, i said nothing about satan.

My comments were only addressed about people, unbelievers and believers. That Jesus when he died on the cross that took away the sin of the world (everyone's sin, unbelievers and believers).

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!

And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

That shows that when unbelievers are judged at the great white throne they are not judged and sent to the lake of fire because of their sins, But because they never trusted in The Messiah for God's gift of Eternal Life.

If you think what i am saying is universalism then you need to read again what i have wrote. I have said nothing about universalism, if you want to believe it is, have at it.

But if you do not understand why unbelievers end up in the lake of fire, then go take a look at revelation 20 and the great white throne judgment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0