Why is showing emotion looked down upon?

StrivingFollower

Oct 20, 2017
South
✟35,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's important to be respectful of people of all types. Some may find it easy to be stoic, some might be much more natural being expressive. Forcing people to torture themselves just for an image, is not good.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I meant exactly what I said, but where did you need clarification?

You said:

And, when culture is manufactured, you get a bunch of confused people who don't know what to believe.

Were you talking about some specific culture, or were you speaking hypothetically? What does that statement apply to?

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
You said:

Were you talking about some specific culture, or were you speaking hypothetically? What does that statement apply to?

Culture is, and has always been manufactured. The paradigm shifts every few centuries or so, depending on the richness of the culture.

When humans manufacture culture (i.e. what success is, what manhood/womanhood is, happiness, etc.,) then those who do not have the Truth are subjected to that culture and its chaotic evolution. As the manufactured culture changes its manufactured paradigm, those zealots of culture are left confused and alone.

For example, the brutish male is no longer the archetype of manliness. The damsel is no longer a damsel in distress. Divorce and arranged marriage for business is commonplace. Those who championed that culture are now left fighting a changing world - justifying their own foundation of a culture past.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
You said:

(I tend to be verbose at times.)

No, I was not speaking hypothetically or about a particular culture. When I say culture, I mean the world. Specificity is at the individual digression, but it all applies the same way.

I appreciate you asking for clarification.

Upvote 0

StrivingFollower

Oct 20, 2017
South
✟35,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Culture is, and has always been manufactured. The paradigm shifts every few centuries or so, depending on the richness of the culture.

When humans manufacture culture (i.e. what success is, what manhood/womanhood is, happiness, etc.,) then those who do not have the Truth are subjected to that culture and its chaotic evolution. As the manufactured culture changes its manufactured paradigm, those zealots of culture are left confused and alone.

For example, the brutish male is no longer the archetype of manliness. The damsel is no longer a damsel in distress. Divorce and arranged marriage for business is commonplace. Those who championed that culture are now left fighting a changing world - justifying their own foundation of a culture past.
Good points. The biggest problem with things like this, is it makes it harder to measure people the way God measures people. Since God only looks at the heart of men.

Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟147,506.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Psychologists Mistakenly Criticize Traditional Manhood | National Review

That’s a phrase you hear a lot in sports. “Grown man.” There’s grown-man football. There’s grown-man basketball. It speaks to a certain style of play. Tough. Physical. Courageous. Overpowering. It’s also fundamentally aspirational. It’s quite safe to say that millions of young boys desire to become a grown man — a person who is physically and mentally tough, a person who can rise to a physical challenge and show leadership under stress. In fact, that’s not just an intellectual goal, it’s a deeply felt need. It’s a response to their essential nature.

But becoming a true “grown man” — while a felt need — isn’t an easy process. It involves shaping and molding. It requires mentoring. It requires fathers who are themselves grown men. Turning boys into grown men means taking many of their inherent characteristics — such as their aggression, their sense of adventure, and their default physical strength — and shaping them toward virtuous ends. A strong, aggressive risk-taker can be a criminal or a cop, for example. To borrow from the famous American Sniper speech, they can be a sheepdog or a wolf.

And if you’re a father of a young boy or spend much time with young boys — especially if you coach boys in sports — you’ll note a very human paradox. Even as they want to become the grown man they see in their father or in their idols, they’ll often fiercely resist (especially at first) the process. They’ll find the discipline oppressive. Building toughness requires enduring pain. And who likes enduring pain? Effective leaders have to have a degree of stoicism, but it can be hard to suppress natural emotions to see reality clearly.

Nothing about this process is easy. Some fathers default to cruelty as a teaching tool, with disastrous results. Others are deeply intolerant of differences, rejecting or even bullying those boys who don’t conform to masculine norms — thus driving them into deep despair. ....

• Informative
Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟147,506.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Succumbing to the tears and the feelings is what is looked down upon in masculine culture. There is no disrespect shown for those who fight through the tears and march head first into the pain and frustration that stand in the way of any victory worth having.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Good points. The biggest problem with things like this, is it makes it harder to measure people the way God measures people. Since God only looks at the heart of men.

Few realize that if we take the offense we have against each other to the Most High God with our expectation of justice, we would all go to Hell - if we expect Him to be our personal avenger.

This is why love, mercy, grace, then judgment is the order of operation for the spirit.

Culture is relative; emotions are distractions to the overall picture. But, that doesn't mean humans should repress themselves because cultural totems tell them to.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Sorry my fault. I didn't make it clear. I mean good decisions are usually supported by rational thinking.
I've forgotten the thread's op and current topic(s),
but what specifically IS a good decision ? - one that obeys what the Father has said to do joyfully, or one that ignores or rejects the Father ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Bottom line, the truth is that men and women are not the same thing. Male and female are not human cultural constructs. The construct is from God.
Do you think the way kids are raised has to do with how people express their emotions as they grow into adults?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Do you think the way kids are raised has to do with how people express their emotions as they grow into adults?
Totally!!!!!!!!!!!

Or rather, "Yes".

I'm sorry,
Please excuse the previous emotional outburst.

• Haha
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
"Raise a child in the way they should go, and when they are older they will not depart far from it".
Almost no one is raised in the way they should go, are they ?
So , being raised wrong, unrighteously, what happens ?
A lot of unrighteousness, sin, rebellion, disorder, pain, suffering, selfishness.... etc etc etc
and emotion without self-control.
And choices made by emotion instead of God's Instructions.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟147,506.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Nature and nurture both influence the behavior of all humans.
Men and boys have been prodded in our society to express their emotions and feminine side in our society since before I was a teenager, and now I am old enough that people offer me their seats on the bus.

I think David in his article and in his later discussion with Alexandria below note that the results have not been the molding of subsequent generations of strong, competent males, ready, willing and able to take on roles as fathers and husbands and providers.
How could the results be different? Feminists fume about men being patriarchs, and women bemoan the subsequent lack of men willing to take responsibility for their families.
Ideas do matter, and the consequences of men in pink is something that has not yet run its course.

The Tucker Wars Continue - Ricochet

Cultures have developed over millennia of human experience, and take in account the billions of years of sexual dimorphism involved in molding men into men and women into women. We are not blank slates capable of infinite molding by culture , and to pretend that we are ignores science, religion, and basic common sense.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
"Raise a child in the way they should go, and when they are older they will not depart far from it".
A lot of unrighteousness, sin, rebellion, disorder, pain, suffering, selfishness.... etc etc etc
and emotion without self-control.
And choices made by emotion instead of God's Instructions.

No question marks needed; these are facts - as is your conclusion.

EDIT: ESPECIALLY your last sentence - it's a big help in terms of this spiritual war to know emotions LIE (on this plane of existence), and are easily exploitable by the Enemy. Truth is absolute; there is no personal "his/her/my" truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Cultures have developed over millennia of human experience, and take in account the billions of years of sexual dimorphism involved in molding men into men and women into women. We are not blank slates capable of infinite molding by culture , and to pretend that we are ignores science, religion, and basic common sense.
This is contrary to all the instructions of Yahweh, directly, in Scripture.

• Agree
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Why optimism @yeshuaslavejeff?

I don't care about the rate, I just find it interesting coming from you.
the "optimistic" rating might be - 'hopeful for the best for the poster'

OR 'looks like the poster is optimistic'

OR 'hopeful / optimistic the poster will repent'

OR ' 'optimistic' that the poster is moving the right direction trusting God'

OR 'optimistic I do not see things right because the content is so wrong'

OR 'optimistic the content is right because I can't see if it is or not'

OR 'acknowledging the positive content or goal or direction of the poster or the readers'

OR ' "optimistic" because it seems like the best 'fit' of the labels available'

OR 'without knowing anything, just optimistic click to let the poster know the post is welcome and/or appreciated'

OR ? :)

Upvote 0