Why is showing emotion looked down upon?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I don't think it is scriptural to say emotions are deceitful. Some are, some are not (See 2 Corinthians 7:10). Sometimes emotions came from the Spirit to lead you to do certain things (Ezra 10:6). Nevertheless decisions are usually supported by rational thinking.
No.
Most decisions are made by people of the world subject to the prince of the power of the air. Overwhelmingly.
i.e. not good. rather pernicious - "death dealing"

• Winner
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

Tharseo

Jan 5, 2019
Hong Kong
✟17,155.00
Country
China
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No.
Most decisions are made by people of the world subject to the prince of the power of the air. Overwhelmingly.
i.e. not good. rather pernicious - "death dealing"

Sorry my fault. I didn't make it clear. I mean good decisions are usually supported by rational thinking.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I just do not understand this concept at all.I understand men and women have different ways of expressing emotions,but I find it odd that society paints anyone having emotions,especially crying,as something to be ashamed or embarassed of.What happened to being compassionate and understanding all people express pain or handle emotions differently.

Psychological programming; a lot of "emotions" get people in trouble. Plus, other people's emotions are an inconvenience for other people; it estranges one when one is transparent with one's emotions.

Crying, depending on the circumstance, can be a mental disorder.

Most emotion can also be a mental disorder by peers and the APA, so why show emotion? Besides, being emotionally vulnerable with humans produces adverse reaction: judgment, prejudice, betrayal, etc.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Christgirl67
Upvote 0

Tharseo

Jan 5, 2019
Hong Kong
✟17,155.00
Country
China
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Plus, other people's emotions are an inconvenience for other people; it estranges one when one is transparent with one's emotions.

On the contrary, I would love to see one's emotions expressed to other people in a proper way, instead of hiding to oneself only, so that we might share his/her joy and pain and suffering.

Romans 12:15
Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
A woman who had lost her son in the Persian Gulf war met and related that to then-active General Colin Powell. He openly wept with her in her grief, and all of us in the military respected him for that.
It is the full Abrahamic dilemna. She is the simultaneously the mother sacrificing her son to war for her belief in this life, and the mother grieving over the person she cherishes the most in the world.
Any general worthy of his position of leadership shares in this dilemma.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
On the contrary, I would love to see one's emotions expressed to other people in a proper way, instead of hiding to oneself only, so that we might share his/her joy and pain and suffering.

Romans 12:15
Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.

But you are one person; The cultural norm is to be happy, and not to disadvantage others with "Debbie Downer Syndrome" - but keep it together without snapping or lashing out.

Not nearly enough people feel the contrary to be reflective in the culture.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Jeremiah 17:9-The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
Does this verse relate to emotions?
Analysts of the prophets often notice that among the major ones, Jeremiah is the one that borders on depression. This is an emotional state containing the siren calls of nihilism. The heart registers the truth of the horrors of life, and most certainly the most wicked conclusions can be drawn about the worth of the whole enterprise of living.
The truth that Jeremiah prophecies about the horror of life is definitely from God.
It is often not easy to discern that all emotional states, even depression, are transient. The truth of hope is a spiritual gift. In the battle between hope and the experienced reality of the current dark state of suffering that can and does last a lifetime, the reality of suffering has a strong hand against unseen hope.

Upvote 0

Tharseo

Jan 5, 2019
Hong Kong
✟17,155.00
Country
China
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But you are one person; The cultural norm is to be happy, and not to disadvantage others with "Debbie Downer Syndrome" - but keep it together without snapping or lashing out.

Not nearly enough people feel the contrary to be reflective in the culture.

Sad, but true. But culture is not what we follow, it is the truth that we follow.

People do not understand the teachings of weeping and mourning in the Scripture. And so they think that weeping is a sign of being weak. It is not. Neither is happy a sign of being healthy.

For anyone who wants to be considerate should not offend others through his/her own emotional acts, that's for sure. But sorrow should not be oppressed.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

Tharseo

Jan 5, 2019
Hong Kong
✟17,155.00
Country
China
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Analysts of the prophets often notice that among the major ones, Jeremiah is the one that borders on depression. This is an emotional state containing the siren calls of nihilism. The heart registers the truth of the horrors of life, and most certainly the most wicked conclusions can be drawn about the worth of the whole enterprise of living.
The truth that Jeremiah prophecies about the horror of life is definitely from God.
It is often not easy to discern that all emotional states, even depression, are transient. The truth of hope is a spiritual gift. In the battle between hope and the experienced reality of the current dark state of suffering that can and does last a lifetime, the reality of suffering has a strong hand against unseen hope.

True. Suffering and pain, IMO, is a topic worthy of teaching in more details. Our Lord Jesus is "a man of sorrow and acquainted with grief"(Isaiah 53:3), and of course, a man who bears our sufferrings. Learning the "art"(I can't find a suitable word here) of sufferring and pain is of great importance to follow Jesus. It is not something that should not be spoken so to please the audience.

Last edited:
Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Hebrews 10
"
32 Remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you endured in a great conflict full of suffering. 33 Sometimes you were publicly exposed to insult and persecution; at other times you stood side by side with those who were so treated.

34 You suffered along with those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property,

because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting possessions. 35 So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded.

36 You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised."

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Sad, but true. But culture is not what we follow, it is the truth that we follow.

People do not understand the teachings of weeping and mourning in the Scripture. And so they think that weeping is a sign of being weak. It is not. Neither is happy a sign of being healthy.

For anyone who wants to be considerate should not offend others through his/her own emotional acts, that's for sure. But sorrow should not be oppressed.

You are right those of us who follow the Most High God hold truth as our archetypal model. But, the world at large is desperately in need of something to follow in the place of a vacuum.

That is usually culture. And, when culture is manufactured, you get a bunch of confused people who don't know what to believe.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Joy is an emotion. How can one not show it when they feel it?
When you have had someone beat you repeatedly for showing it. You learn how to internalize it.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are right those of us who follow the Most High God hold truth as our archetypal model. But, the world at large is desperately in need of something to follow in the place of a vacuum.

That is usually culture. And, when culture is manufactured, you get a bunch of confused people who don't know what to believe.

What exactly do you mean?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When you have had someone beat you repeatedly for showing it. You learn how to internalize it.
Many people struggle with emotions. Its helpful for them to know that they are not alone. For that reason i think its good to show emotion.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jon Osterman

Jan 23, 2018
Glasgow
✟59,048.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Displaying emotions in public is simply rude. We have standards of acceptable behaviour in our society to enable it to run smoothly. No-one wants the people around them in public to be laughing or crying or displaying anger. As mentioned above, this doesn't mean that you can't feel emotions - just keep them hidden inside. If you know someone very well, then you may feel you can impose your emotions on them, but even this should be kept to a minimum so that you don't exceed their good will.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Displaying emotions in public is simply rude. We have standards of acceptable behaviour in our society to enable it to run smoothly. No-one wants the people around them in public to be laughing or crying or displaying anger. As mentioned above, this doesn't mean that you can't feel emotions - just keep them hidden inside. If you know someone very well, then you may feel you can impose your emotions on them, but even this should be kept to a minimum so that you don't exceed their good will.
Its not always so easy to bottle up our emotions, the pain becomes so great that it spills out in emotion. Our job is to love each other during such times. Thats my opinion anyway.

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟49,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I do not think its rude.Sometimes a person may be having a bad day,or going through a lot,and may just breakdown randomly.I know I try not to get emotional in public because it would make people uncomfortable,but I am not going to supress how I feel either for the sake of others.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

Then you would be labeled a sociopath.

There is a psychological disorder for everything; this is why it is dangerous to build a society based on subjectivity.

Upvote 0