Somewhere
✟66,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Sorry to hear that bro. you MUST get to the source of this regardless of how difficult this is to talk about. It is causing issues and it can explode if not dealt with. just sit down and have an open and raw conversation about this with her. No one is pointing fingers, you just want to find out whats wrong so you two can fix it, there's nothing wrong with that. If something is bothering her so much then she needs to tell you, you can't read her mind. At least try to find a middle ground sexually if it is that difficult, that could help for a little while until you get the real core issue dealt with. There's no way around this, you two NEED to talk this out before it causes more problems. No arguing or pointing fingers, just talking.

• Agree
Reactions: S.O.J.I.A.
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes! It IS wrong for a husband to stop approaching his spouse for sex because she never approaches him. It doesn't necessarily mean she's not interested, it may well be that she wants you to lead so she can follow.

My wife is like that. She wants me to come up with ideas for exciting sex, and she usually gets into it fully, but she doesn't want to say "You know, it might be fun it we ____________". In a way this is odd, because she's a very capable, self-sufficient woman, but when it comes to sex, she wants me to lead.

If the two of you are having sex regularly, then she is meeting your needs, and doing that exclusively and specifically for you. Her initiating sex may be a desire of yours, but...give it a try. After all, how many guys have a wife who tries out new sex ideas?

Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Been there, done that. Married over 30 years. I don't mean this to sound trite, but a lot of men would be thrilled to have a spouse that does not actively say no and refuse all the time. I just learned that one contribution that is my responsibility that I must make to our marriage is initiating things. The main times that this has been an issue is when I'm burned out and have no energy. I tried for many years to figure out what was "wrong" with my wife and how to "fix" it or to figure out what I was doing "wrong". Now that I have accepted that just seems to be the way my wife is wired, it's no longer the huge stumbling block for me it once was.

Early on, part of my frustration was that my manhood was tied up in feeling loved and desired sexually by my wife. Every time that waned, I felt less a man. God took me through some healing times and restoration where my masculinity and manhood were no longer tied to my wife's current mood towards me. Now, it's not that big a deal to me compared to what it once was.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think sex is a chore, but I feel like it sometimes.

Is it possible that my wife is having an emotional affair? The problem is not the lack of sex, but the lack of interest with it. She has always been this way, but it is really beginning to affect me after 13 years of marriage. Is it wrong for a husband to decide to stop approach his spouse for sex because she never approaches him? Kind of like a punishment. Is sex a chore when the only time a couple has sex is when the husband initiates things? I’m fine with being the man and taking charge, but I get tired of pampering her and making sure all of her needs are met. There are no benefits to such on this side of the grave in my view, at least not in my house. I’m trying to be sensitive and patient with her, but my patience is very thin at this point because we can’t talk about it anymore due to it always turns into an argument.

I support her fully, always trying to be better, but my needs fall by the wayside. The things she does for the kids, she does for me, there is nothing exclusive that she does specifically for me. Is this selfish? I think it may be, but that's how I feel. She knows how I feel about it, and she knows how bad it affects me, but she still does nothing about it. IDK

What a terrible place to ask this question. But I have no true friend or group of people I trust – Church folk are the worst. I’d rather get advice from strangers who do not know me.

It's not selfish, if she's withholding sexual intimacy, that is wholly unbiblical, 1 Corinthians 7:1-9. I advise talking to her and asking specifics. Sometimes women will hold out due to spite/unhappiness and this is not a healthy outlet. Speak to her and ask her about it directly. Try to patiently listen to her, if she has nothing conducive to say, perhaps you should seek marriage counseling. Marriage is a team effort and from the limited information, it sounds like she is not holding up her end. Marriage is a team effort, the onus is NEVER on one spouse entirely, to say otherwise is dishonest and not good advice. 1 Peter 3:1-7. Women are very sensitive and emotionally driven creatures. The things she finds romantic or significant may be largely different from what you find romantic/significant. It's the 'little things'. Most women don't really care what we have to say, they want to hear what THEY have to say, but in a deeper voice. I find that married men often forget that they are to be the head, not the woman. A marriage where the woman is the head is not biblical and will always lead to marriage issues later on in life. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Christian women often don't initiate sex because they have been taught (by the Christian community) that to do so is whorish behavior. We spending so many years being taught that "good girls say no" that we have a hard time changing gears when we get married. Nobody teaches girls that sex is a wonderful way to connect with your man and is a celebration of God's gift to a married couple. Society makes it worse by making it dirty in the media too. When we go through the time of raising children it is easy to get too tired and see sex as one more obligation and not a reward. I remember when my kids were small that I would often be completely "touched out" by the end of the day...and just wanted to scream..."nobody touch me again today...that went for hugs and kisses too". I was on sensory overload 24 hours a day it seemed.

So first of all, just because the guy always initiates it, doesn't mean that the woman finds it only to be a chore. She could just be of the mindset that "good Christian girls don't act like they want sex". Next, make it so that she doesn't have a million undone tasks when she goes to bed...or else, yes, we are multi-tasking in our head that we now have to get up 30 minutes earlier to make sure Bobby's gym clothes are clean before he goes to school. I know I couldn't relax and enjoy anything at night if I knew I had to face a sink of dirty dishes first thing in the morning. Nothing was a bigger turn off than noticing my husband went to bed and the kids were still playing in the living room or I'd come home late at night from some activity and not only were the kids still up, but they hadn't eaten yet (even if my husband had grazed all evening long). At that point, he was just one more child I was overseeing and not my equal partner.

I would recommend that you (not her) line up a babysitter (if the sitter is staying in your house, make sure the house is clean prior to the guest coming into it) and taking some time away from the kids to date for a whole weekend. Look for a Christian couples retreat where they actually help women remember that sex is good and to be enjoyed...and to have time to focus on loving you. Also, it would help you to learn how to bridge the gap and remind her that you still find her desirable and you love her.

Good luck with courting your bride back...

PS...Your pampering doesn't sound like you are giving it as unconditional gift but rather trying to pay for sex with your actions. If you love unconditionally, you aren't measuring how much you are getting in return. A backrub was a complete turn off it turned out that he was doing it to "buy" sex from me and not because he was just loving on me and recognized that I was stressed out.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If shes not really interested then she needs to remember what the bible says about sex in a marriage. Its not a "Optional thing when interested", its a gift. One that isn't supposed to be held back. I mean this doesn't mean anyone must have sex every single day. But it does mean your bodies belong to each other and you are to submit to the other when it comes to sex. Unless of course there is a legit reason like a period, sick....etc.

I can sort of understand your position your in. I do alot for my wife (well she works) and I do know making your spouse feel loved and when they feel loved they return the favor. But often she just doesn't want to have sex, even if shes feeling well. And it is frustrating. She does have pain issues in her female area sometimes, but even when she doesn't have any we don't seem to do anything. You do feel unloved after awhile like your fighting for her attention and your ignored.

Have you brought up the bible? Or is that what you argue about? Has she said why she doesn't offer sex? I know another issue if for some couples sex feels stale afterawhile. Like if you do the same exact style of sex every time, it can get boring. Maybe shes bored? Or maybe, and obviously this isn't meant to be mean sounding, but when you do have sex are you trying to "get her engine warmed up"? I know alot of times some men kind of get their fun out of sex and finish and the woman is still waiting for he to actually feel the joy of it too. Again not presuming thats the issue. Just throwing things out there.

Maybe theres something stressful going on shes not telling you about and its why shes never the one to initiate sex. It can be any number of issues. When you do have sex is she just "there" like as in "Do it and get it over with!" or does she enjoy it? I ask because I assume you mean she shows no interest as in she doesn't even care what happens when you do have sex. That would be frustrating too. I don't enjoy sex if my wife doesn't enjoy it. Who wants to make love to somenoe who sits there with a non-enjoyment look on their face.

What I do know for sure is this needs to be talked about/fixed because the divide will only become wider and this is how a couple turns into bitter enemies of each other and sometimes they separate. I know its probably awkward but you have to involve the pastor. Which I know is awkward but most pastors say sex is no an awkward issues to them because its Gods gift. The only awkward part is you tend to know the pastor well so its weird talking about your sex life. You can always talk to a pastor from another church.

Or maybe get couples counseling somewhere else. For now I'd continue to pray for strength and patience. Pray she will talk to you instead of arguing about it. For some they have to make ultimatums, which should never really happen but its sometimes you got no choice. Like "I love you dear but we can't continue to ignore/argue about sex. I'm honestly feeling hurt by you as if you don't care anymore about sex and its putting to much strain on the marriage and my emotions. I can't keep doing this! I think I need to go out for the weekend and have time to think!".

It may make her realize its becoming a deeper issue and needs to be addressed. Again this is the very last resort. And borders on blackmail/manipulation. Which is why I really don't like it. But in my midn its better then letting the marrige grow so bitter that one of you wants to leave the other for good to fix the problem.

Reactions: Xavier Cane
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you love her and she loves you, try talking to her.

But what ever answers you get, you are married so make time for showing her that she is still special to you.
Start taking an interest in her at breakfast, be home early and spend time talking and more importantly listening to what she says. Women are influenced by romance so be as romantic as you can. Enjoy her company, court her again.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I forgot to add maybe try having a date night out with each other. Try to respark that flame of passion. Sometimes its just that simple, life gets repetitive and needs a boost sometimes. On a side note I don't hold back helping my wife if I don't get sex. Because I'm not really doing stuff for her to get sex. I do that stuff for her out of love for her. So if she feels maybe its why you do things for her (for sex) she may feel turned off. We want to feel loved not used. Granted you may not mean to make it feel that way.

Its like if your wife was super friendly all the sudden and buttered you up then after you felt great she was in a innocent and cute voice was like "By the way honey, theres something big I want to buy at the store. What do you think?".

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I don’t think sex is a chore, but I feel like it sometimes.

Is it possible that my wife is having an emotional affair? The problem is not the lack of sex, but the lack of interest with it. She has always been this way, but it is really beginning to affect me after 13 years of marriage. Is it wrong for a husband to decide to stop approach his spouse for sex because she never approaches him? Kind of like a punishment. Is sex a chore when the only time a couple has sex is when the husband initiates things? I’m fine with being the man and taking charge, but I get tired of pampering her and making sure all of her needs are met. There are no benefits to such on this side of the grave in my view, at least not in my house. I’m trying to be sensitive and patient with her, but my patience is very thin at this point because we can’t talk about it anymore due to it always turns into an argument.

I support her fully, always trying to be better, but my needs fall by the wayside. The things she does for the kids, she does for me, there is nothing exclusive that she does specifically for me. Is this selfish? I think it may be, but that's how I feel. She knows how I feel about it, and she knows how bad it affects me, but she still does nothing about it. IDK

What a terrible place to ask this question. But I have no true friend or group of people I trust – Church folk are the worst. I’d rather get advice from strangers who do not know me.

You should go to a counselor and ask this in private.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If shes not really interested then she needs to remember what the bible says about sex in a marriage.
ABSOLUTELY do not do that. Nothing worse that beating someone over the head with scripture and telling what a failure they are as a christian.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m fine with being the man and taking charge, but I get tired of pampering her and making sure all of her needs are met. There are no benefits to such on this side of the grave in my view, at least not in my house.
IF you are "pampering" and "making sure all of her needs are met" just so you can get some nookey time with her, you are being nothing but selfish. Whether she reciprocates or not is between her and God - NOT you.

Give everything and expect nothing in return. That is what you signed up for when you said YES to Jesus and when you said I Do to your wife.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
ABSOLUTELY do not do that. Nothing worse that beating someone over the head with scripture and telling what a failure they are as a christian.

Especially true because no one is perfect except God!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Actually "a wife" here....posting....

His Christian counselor would probably be a man...and depending on the religion, possibly an unmarried man.

Are you his wife? Do you know her reason? How much training does every Christian counselor have? A male counselor who has had enough training can help. A counselor with very little training probably won't be able to help.

He should have a male counselor rather than a female one if he's going to spill his guts and discuss an intimate subject.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟78,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My alcoholic brother-in-law wondered why his wife wanted a divorce. There may have been several reasons, but he couldn't think of one.

I married only once and was married till death did us part forty-two years later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Are you his wife? Do you know her reason? How much training does every Christian counselor have? A male counselor who has had enough training can help. A counselor with very little training probably won't be able to help.

He should have a male counselor rather than a female one if he's going to spill his guts and discuss an intimate subject.

I never said I knew her reasons and if she is like a lot of women, SHE may not know her reasons because it isn't a single decision but an emotional response to a lot of stimuli. Yes, a counsel would help...so would some common sense advice (no different than how many of us buy books from sources like James Dobson and Tim LaHaye (Author of the Christian book "The Act of Marriage").

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.