Why is Scripture not chronologival if Gid is the author of Scipture?

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why would it need to be chronological?
I would love it if it was published in order of date with introductions explaining how books related to each other.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would love it if it was published in order of date with introductions explaining how books related to each other.

You can purchase chronological Bibles. For instance there is a chronological NIV Bible, available on Amazon and elsewhere. I recommend it.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟471,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Do they make more sense read in this order?

I suppose if one limited oneself to Antiochene literal-historical interpretation and set aside Alexandrian typological-prophetic interpretation, and was also willing to dispense with all of the deuterocanonical texts such as Wisdom, Sirach, Tobit, Judith, the longer version of Esther, and all of the books which once existed in Hebrew but now survive only in Koine Greek, Latin, Ge’ez (the ancient Ethiopian liturgical language), Syriac/other Aramaic dialects, Armenian, Coptic and Georgian, but which in many cases have intact Hebrew fragments, for example, 1 Enoch, or Psalms 151-155, or 3 Esdras and 4 Esdras.

I myself am unwilling to do that, especially since the Septuagint has been to some extent vindicated by the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
ZH
✟70,439.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm curious if there is intent behind this?

You mean the scriptures that Jesus had at his disposal or the English translation hard copy you may have?

The order and content selection of the LXX translation that was widely used in Jesus day, and also sometimes used/quoted by Paul differs from a typical nowadays KJV or ESV translation. Roman Catholic translations have a different selection again.

Jesus uses the term 'Law and Prophets' several times; you can lookup what that meant in his Jewish context.

Upvote 0

After God's Heart

May 15, 2021
Florida
✟18,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love to read the Bible chronologically in my personal devotions (just following an online reading plan) but even if the books themselves were ordered chronologically we don't actually use the Bible in order - would it make a significant difference?

for example, your bible study group may be focusing on one book, your congregation may sing the psalms every week in worship, a prayer meeting may highlight a different section, your pastor is expositing a different book in his sermons, your ladies/men's group is doing a topical study on another book....you're constantly traveling all throughout the scripture anyway. But I'm definitely huge fan of chronological reading plans, it just feels like such an epic read to work my way from the very beginning of time to the end of time.

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
ZH
✟70,439.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love to read the Bible chronologically in my personal devotions (just following an online reading plan) but even if the books themselves were ordered chronologically we don't actually use the Bible in order - would it make a significant difference?

for example, your bible study group may be focusing on one book, your congregation may sing the psalms every week in worship, a prayer meeting may highlight a different section, your pastor is expositing a different book in his sermons, your ladies/men's group is doing a topical study on another book....you're constantly traveling all throughout the scripture anyway. But I'm definitely huge fan of chronological reading plans, it just feels like such an epic read to work my way from the very beginning of time to the end of time.

Getting a chronological overview of Biblical events is very, very helpful, but the books in your translation don't have to be in exact chronological order to obtain that. E.g. the classification of: Law, Prophets and Writings (Hebrew Bible - Wikipedia) that we find in the Hebrew scriptures uses importance rather than time order as a criterion.

Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0